Jim Ellis

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2006

Can find no info on an orphanage where I was in about 1935.
I remember my adopted parents saying, "Behave or I'll take you back to Helena". I didn't like it there.
Trying to put together a newsletter for my family, any help appreciated.

I see a picture which is now a prison, which MAY be the same place.
Jim (Robertson) Ellis
William Holman

Austin, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 15, 2006

To: Jim Ellis

How long were you in the orphanage? How old were you when you were adopted?

And... were you released under an INDENTURE CONTRACT as I was. I still have my Indenture Contract., of Jan 23, 1937. I was ten when I was taken by the Holman family... and adopted at 13.
Send me a large envelope with postage and I will send you material on the West Oklahoma for White Children of Helena, OK.

I have writen a book entitled The Orphans' Nine Commandments with a chapter on my time in Helena. It will be published by TCU Press in 2007.
William Homan, 12205 Mustang Chase, Austin, Tx 78727.
My email is: wholman@austin.rr.com.
Mary Smith

Newport Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2007

I think that my mother was in this same orphanage. Her birth name I believe was Octavia Lucille and I think her last name was Robertson. She has since passed but she was born in 1932. Do you think you could be related or you might have known her?
Jim Ellis wrote:
I remember my adopted parents saying, "Behave or I'll take you back to Helena". I didn't like it there.
Jim (Robertson) Ellis
sherry anderso

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2007

I just want to know when the boys home was opened and when it closed. Did it ever become a historical site. I know now that it was made into a correctional center. I really ned this information. My son is now incarcerated in the center, which now has the name of the James Crabtree correctional center.
William Holman

Sandy, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2007

Dear Sherry Anderso

The Old Main Building of the West Ok Home for White Children was torn down in the 1930's. But the boys dorm to the north is still standing and is used as part of the Crabtree Correctional Center.

The new book: ORPHANS NINE COMMANDMENTS, published by Texas Christian Univ. Press, 2007 includes a picture of the Helena Orphanage, a state study on the expenditures for the home, and a newspaper article on the politicl conflicts and administration of the home.
James Ellis

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2007

Mary Smith wrote:
I think that my mother was in this same orphanage. Her birth name I believe was Octavia Lucille and I think her last name was Robertson. She has since passed but she was born in 1932. Do you think you could be related or you might have known her?
<quoted text>
She was my little sister! Thank you so much I'm 77
years old now.(crying like a baby) I live in Gainesville, Texas .
William Holman

Pinellas Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2007

In the new book—THE ORPHANS' NINE COMMANDMENTS (TCU Press, Nov.'07) I have named several of the children who I met while I was in the West Oklahoma Home for White Children in Helena, Oklahoma.

I have included data (from a State of Ok audit) reporting that the home fed children on 3 1/2 cents per meal; and the state commissioner of charities ... criticizing the head of the orphanage.
Charlotte Palmer

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 10, 2008

My father-in-law Cecil Palmer and his two brothers Marvin and Gerald were residents of the Western Oklahoma Orphanage, I am putting together a family history and would love to include photos and stories if possible, where would I get photos of the buildings?
William Holman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2008

There is a photograph of the West Oklahoma Home for White Children
following page 176 of the book: THE ORPHANS NINE COMMANDMENTS.
TCU Press. Nov.'07. Hardbound. List—$24.50 but discounted by several book sources.

Also there is a copy of a 1937 News Story about the political conflicts and intrigue surrounding the administration of the orphanage. And there is an excerpt from a study of the home by the Oklahoma State
Planning Board, 1937. This study shows that the state fed each child on approximately 3 1/2 cents per meal.
James

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

Mary Smith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that was my little sister, I was born in 1930
I visited the other three children in California many years ago. Thank you from Gainesville, Texas.
Jim
James

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

I was in the orphanage at Helena, Oklahoma, and
adopted. My little sister, Octavia Lucielle, was there as were two brothers and another sister.

Her name was changed, and I believe she was adopted just before me.I was told that her adopted parents went back after me and found that I had been taken out of the orphanage by another couple.
James

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2008

I am now 77 years old.
Jamies hebb

Apo, AE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

I use to go with my grandmother to a reunion ever year at Great Salt Plains State Park. its been a very long time since i have been down there. but i was wondering if you know any thing about it or if it still goes on. i know that it was a big deal to her.
Her name was faye willis and was married to a red willis and they resided in Pondcreek OK.
Fred DeBerry

Bellingham, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

My parents adoped my brother from the West Oklahoma Home in July of 1941. I have a some stationary that shows a seal at the top with 1907 on it. No doubt meaning the year it was founded.
Jim Ellis wrote:
Jim (Robertson) Ellis
Laura Starr

Oakwood, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2008

Looking for information in regards to my mother. Her name was Lillie Sizemore. She was last known to be there around 1936.
William Holman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2008

Charlotte Palmer wrote:
My father-in-law Cecil Palmer and his two brothers Marvin and Gerald were residents of the Western Oklahoma Orphanage, I am putting together a family history and would love to include photos and stories if possible, where would I get photos of the buildings?
Dear Charlotte Palmer. A photograph of the old Main Building, Western Oklahoma Home for White Children is encluded in the book — ORPHANS' NINE COMMANDMENTS. TCU Press. Nov. 2007. Hardback.
Trisha

Blackwell, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2008

My grandfather was in this orphanage he was adopted out. He had several brothers and sisters in as well. LB, Sadie, Otis, OE, Douglas, and George Blakely. LB ran away as it has been told then he came back after Sadie, Otis and OE but the younger ones were already adopted out. Douglas' name was changed to Dudley Wilson he died a few years ago. George was a Ross and lived in California. I knew all except Sadie and Otis. My grandfather doesn't remember alot because he was really young. I do have his adoption papers and he was adopted out in 1927.I am going to find this book this weekend.
Joanie

Rogers, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 18, 2008

We are trying to find information on a great uncle who was there. His name was Herbert (Hubert) McCutchen. Anymore information on him and where he ended up.
Thank you.
Steve

Clinton, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 3, 2008

My wife's paternal grandmother was in Helena in early to mid 20's. Her name at the time we believe was Nellie Delores Walker. She had a brother we have heard committed suicide but family lore does not indicate if it was while at orphanage or later. Any one with info or connections?
William Holman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Steve wrote:
My wife's paternal grandmother was in Helena in early to mid 20's. Her name at the time we believe was Nellie Delores Walker. She had a brother we have heard committed suicide but family lore does not indicate if it was while at orphanage or later. Any one with info or connections?
STEVE: I have written about several fellow orphans who I met in the Helena Home. Read: THE ORPHANS NINE COMMANDMENTS, TCU PRESS. 2007.
Amazon.com list it at 19.00. See photos & news articles on Helena Home.
William Holman

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Helena Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Helena Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••