Sergeant James Foley trial Two state police detectives testify

Full story: North Adams Transcript

With a full jury on board, the second day of suspended North Adams Police Sgt. James Foley's trial for child molestation saw testimony from the alleged victim, but the public was barred from hearing the girl's testimony.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of110
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
joan

South Hadley, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

shame shame ,,a trusted law man and he is in this kind of trial,he sholud be locked up and the key thrown away

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Judged:

joan wrote:
shame shame ,,a trusted law man and he is in this kind of trial,he sholud be locked up and the key thrown away
Sorry Joan, he's been found NOT GUILTY by a jury of YOUR peers
no more

Waterford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

But no one is innocent until proven guilty anymore! At least in the eyes of the public. I don't things like this should be published in the paper. If he really did do that, then shame on him. But if he really didn't, then it's a shame his reputation is ruined now.
how should he be

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

So Keo did you hear stories of him doing his job? Is that what the problem is? That when a a person breaks the law they were arrested and that he didn't bend the rules so that a particualr person might be able to pay him back in various ways. What I mean is for example let an DWI go and then show up at their business later and tell them you want your driveway paved for free. So when a cop does his job he an @ss**le but when the cop lets you go they are a great person. Can't have it both ways....trust me the best cops aren't the ones who sit in Dunkin Donuts every morning at 10 am telling stories of how bad guys are, thats just jeaslousy that they can't do as good of a job...the good cops are the ones stopping the cars, arresting bad guys, and doing their job like Sgt Foley does....again your stories are probably the same ones that were out there like the the charges he went to trial on...but how did that one go, oh yeah NOT GUILTY!!!!!!! Guess you can't believe everything you read!!! See its funny peopel scream for cops to go get the bad guys and then complain with the methods that are used...kinda like what Jack Nicholson said in A few Good Men...listen to that quote it is quite good, but true.
CONJECTURE

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

I recommend all participants in this forum either read the book “Twelve Angry Men” or watch the movie…

Twelve Angry Men: Classic drama about a teenage boy accused of killing his abusive father and the jury must decide his fate... That fate lies in the hands of 12 men from all walks of life, each with his own agenda, opinions, prejudices, fears and personal demons. Fortunately, this is an open-and-shut case--or is it?

Over the course of a steamy and tense afternoon, a seemingly open and shut case turns complicated, igniting passions and hidden prejudices as the twelve jurors deliberate the fate of a 19 year-old boy alleged to have murdered his own father.

Eleven jurors are convinced that the defendant is guilty of murder. The twelfth has no doubt of his innocence. How can this one man steer the others toward the same conclusion? It's a case of seemingly overwhelming evidence against a teenager accused of killing his father.

Caution to the Adience: Rated PG-13.

North Adams Library no longer has a copy of the movie (they DO have the book and so does MCLA); the movie is available through the Western Massachusetts Library system (can be ordered through N.A. Library) at the following locations:

Amherst, Agawam, Belchertown, Chicopee, Easthampton, East Longmeadow, Florence, Great Barrington, Greenfield, Holyoke, South Hadley, Longmeadow, Northampton, Greenfield Community College, Sprignfield Technical Community College.
yes read or watch it

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

I agree Henry Fonda and Jack Klugman one of the best movies ever!!! At least you didn't use the other Jack Klugman reference from the Odd Couple and "ASSUME because when you ASSUME you make an ASS out of U and ME" as Felix Unger would have said.
There are no books in the NA Library they all have been burned over the last 26 years. The only book that shoudl be there in the library is "Animal Farm-The history of North Adams politics 1983-2009."

keo

Glens Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

how should he be wrote:
So Keo did you hear stories of him doing his job? Is that what the problem is? That when a a person breaks the law they were arrested and that he didn't bend the rules so that a particualr person might be able to pay him back in various ways. What I mean is for example let an DWI go and then show up at their business later and tell them you want your driveway paved for free. So when a cop does his job he an ******le but when the cop lets you go they are a great person. Can't have it both ways....trust me the best cops aren't the ones who sit in Dunkin Donuts every morning at 10 am telling stories of how bad guys are, thats just jeaslousy that they can't do as good of a job...the good cops are the ones stopping the cars, arresting bad guys, and doing their job like Sgt Foley does....again your stories are probably the same ones that were out there like the the charges he went to trial on...but how did that one go, oh yeah NOT GUILTY!!!!!!! Guess you can't believe everything you read!!! See its funny peopel scream for cops to go get the bad guys and then complain with the methods that are used...kinda like what Jack Nicholson said in A few Good Men...listen to that quote it is quite good, but true.
Bottom line is you cant play on both teams.I have not been in trouble with the law,but I know several honorable people that have not been so lucky.I have all the respect on the world for good cops,but I know of too many stories and rumors about one individual.There are 20 - 30 policemen in NA that do thier job and you never hear a thing,and this one person where stories and rumors are running rampid.Several from people with first hand knowledge.I understanand it is a brotherhood and you support each other 199%,but in reality you cannot dismiss fact.Perception is 90 percent of how people see things ,and he doesnt look good.To all the good cops out there I have nothing but respect for you ,but no one including a policeman is above scrutany and the law.
OneDrin

Chatham, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2009

Get your facts right wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry Joan, he's been found NOT GUILTY by a jury of YOUR peers
Um, when was he found NOT GUILTY exactly?
getout mayor

West Hatfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

I do not hope he goes back on the force,the mayor better do the rite thing or he's out,I speak for a great majority of citizens!!!!
CONJECTURE

Pittsfield, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

This trial lasted ONLY 2 days (which included the jury’s deliberation); 3 days if you really want to count the jury selection and motion hearing.

The girl climbed into bed with Foley and his son – perhaps envious of the relationship shared by Foley and his son and wanting the same… What was missing from her own life? A father -- so her mother needs to mend that situation!

It was clearly OBVIOUS to the jury that the girl wanted or recognized Foley as a father figure, but that Foley treated her as a friend of his son’s. That was insufficient for the girl; she even sent him a Father’s Day card – how awkward that must have been for Foley, his wife and son…

During the initial round of interviews by a series of professionals, they ALL overlooked asking the girl if Foley touched her “private area” or if penetration occurred? Nope, the accusation needed more spice to make the allegations more “alarming” because the initial stories weren’t so convincing.

The jury acquitted Foley after courageously recognizing the “magical thinking” that Ms. Zimberg previously spoke of. Mr. Foley and his family were the victims of a wicked fairy tale. Best wishes, Mr. Foley, with trying to rebuild your and your family’s lives.
litigist

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

keo wrote:
<quoted text>Bottom line is you cant play on both teams.I have not been in trouble with the law,but I know several honorable people that have not been so lucky.I have all the respect on the world for good cops,but I know of too many stories and rumors about one individual.There are 20 - 30 policemen in NA that do thier job and you never hear a thing,and this one person where stories and rumors are running rampid.Several from people with first hand knowledge.I understanand it is a brotherhood and you support each other 199%,but in reality you cannot dismiss fact.Perception is 90 percent of how people see things ,and he doesnt look good.To all the good cops out there I have nothing but respect for you ,but no one including a policeman is above scrutany and the law.
Very well put.
Vermont transplant

Bennington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Why would a mother let a 13 year old girl sleep over at a 13 year old boys house to begin with? I have serious problems with this. If they are not related I find this to be a bad thing only to become something worse which it did. This is the age of where 14 year old girls(and younger) give birth and sexual awareness is very pronounced at this age. Ask any 6th grader and most have had 2 or 3 boyfriends already(most of it innocent going to the movies in a group hand holding) wake up america don't put kids in a questionable situation and no you can not trust anyone not even a cop. I know he has been found innocent and good luck to him and his family but there are other cops who have been found guilty of this crime one was a Police Chief in NY state.
anon

Rensselaer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Vermont transplant wrote:
Why would a mother let a 13 year old girl sleep over at a 13 year old boys house to begin with? I have serious problems with this. If they are not related I find this to be a bad thing only to become something worse which it did. This is the age of where 14 year old girls(and younger) give birth and sexual awareness is very pronounced at this age. Ask any 6th grader and most have had 2 or 3 boyfriends already(most of it innocent going to the movies in a group hand holding) wake up america don't put kids in a questionable situation and no you can not trust anyone not even a cop. I know he has been found innocent and good luck to him and his family but there are other cops who have been found guilty of this crime one was a Police Chief in NY state.
Why would the boy's parents allow it, either.

While the legal process has run its course, there is little doubt that the people involved are really screwed up.
Doesnt Matter

Agawam, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Ok what if your not a cop and going through a similar ordeal, It is really hard to prove you are innocent. All they need is an accuser!! That's it, bottom line! And in these kinds of cases, you are guilty until proven innocent! It's because kids are involved, Kids don't lie right? Wrong, they do. You also can't fight DCF (formally known as Dss), I've done alot of research and it says they are above a judge,that a judge will believe everything they say, it's sad because they lie too! Of course they are willing to just take your kids and adopt them out, they get between $4000 to $6000 for every kid they adopt out. So for all you people who want to make up a story that you've been raped, make sure it is true, because if it isn't then you are ruining someone's life and their families!!!! The real truth is that only GOD and the accused know the truth..Enough said....

Since: Mar 09

Agawam, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

I just hope all innocent people get this lucky..I know someone sitting in jail, right now who is innocent. But as the saying goes, your innocent until proven guilty, then why have to sit in jail for years before a trial even starts??? Because your not innocent until proven guilty, your guilty until proven innocent!!!

keo

Glens Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

anon wrote:
<quoted text>Why would the boy's parents allow it, either.
While the legal process has run its course, there is little doubt that the people involved are really screwed up.
This whole thing stinks .

keo

Glens Falls, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

Im Saying It wrote:
I just hope all innocent people get this lucky..I know someone sitting in jail, right now who is innocent. But as the saying goes, your innocent until proven guilty, then why have to sit in jail for years before a trial even starts??? Because your not innocent until proven guilty, your guilty until proven innocent!!!
You are innocent until proven guilty only if you have connections or money for a good lawyer
ohno

Waterford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Vermont transplant wrote:
Becuase this is North Adams incest is best. All people from ma know about what happens here look a city hall more sex offenders there then in a city like Northampton. Autism mental illness didn't a priest abuse people around here i think the he is a dirty cop. It North Adams native dirt bag welfare cases if you cant keep it in your family one NA person told me that's gross!!
CONJECTURE

Florence, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

I agree totally with "Clarifying Some Things" (Post #33 under the FOLEY FOUND NOT GUILTY thread)...

(1) Jim Foley was NOT “arrested” for either of the offenses and the allegations against him were never brought before the procedural Grand Jury. Both charges were brought as "criminal complaints" because the allegations lacked merit, integrity and reality. The girl's psychotherapist called it "Magical Thinking".

(2) There were NOT 2 offenses committed "January through October" -- The charges were brought separately and stem from the same incident [because the girl “forgot to mention it” or the trained interviewers “overlooked it” during their lengthy investigation].

(3) It was NOT Jim Foley who "betrayed the trust" of the 13-year old girl and it is NOT “inappropriate” for an adult to place “trust” in a 13-year old. Parents place trust in 13-year olds all the time by letting them stay home alone, go to the movies alone, hang out with mixed genders, etc, and the list goes on and on.

(4) Foley's son got into bed with his father (which would be “inappropriate” or “irresponsible” ONLY in an Anti-father environment); the girl (who wanted the same relationship with her friend’s father, as stated in the Father’s Day card she sent him) followed suit.

(5) "The girl climbed into bed with Foley and his son – perhaps envious of the relationship shared by Foley and his son and wanting the same… What was missing from her own life? A father -- so her mother needs to mend that situation!" (Post #9 of the FOLEY FOUND NOT GUILTY thread).

(6) Any parent with an ounce of integrity WOULD admit they have slept with their children and have awakened finding the child’s hand in a place that otherwise would be inappropriate, or they have awakened to find their own hand on the child in an area that would otherwise be considered inappropriate.

(7) Attorney Rota hit the nail on the head: The girl subsequently took matters to the extreme of making the inconsistent false accusations months apart because of the filthy, disgusting minds of people who took a completely innocent matter and blew it completely out of context, out of proportion and into the gutter.

Without adding anything more to the question, would it have been alright for a father to have taken his son and this girl camping and for the 3 of them to sleep in the same tent? The truth is that none of us would have any problem with this scenario!

I agree totally with "Clarifying Some Things" -- Please stop the high and mighty “I would never have done that” responses.

P.S - I am not a relative of Foley's, either, and I would trust him with my children even under the original circumstances.
Just Looking Here

Fairfax, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2009

Someone has swept a big bump under the rug. Gotta take care of the old NAPD.

Coverupppppppppppppppppppppppp ppppp.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of110
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Heath Discussions

Search the Heath Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
David Chalue's trial set to begin Tuesday 3 hr Familiar 15
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) 3 hr Jeremia 4,678
Three months into job, BerkshireWorks head Mont... 20 hr Some Guy From Adams 23
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Wed Kundrot dionkie 1,137
Former local being looked for in East Mass Wed Not 4
Alan Chartock: Megan Whilden will develop new, ... Apr 21 the city I hate 7
Drugs (Jul '13) Apr 20 Some Guy From Adams 19
•••
•••
•••
•••

Heath Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Heath People Search