Who do you support for Attorney General in Vermont in 2010?

Posted in the Hartland-Four-Corners Forum

Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated May 11, 2011

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#1 Oct 14, 2010
Sorrell has been tough on environmental crimes. Hopefully he will hold Entergy's feet to the fire re what Shumlin calls 'the worst environmental disater in VT'.
brian

Windsor, CT

#2 Oct 14, 2010
Sorrell had a golden opportunity to investigate all the shady dealings going on at the Bellows Falls police dept, all he got was a cop who had a gambling problem.

There are very deep underlying problems with that dept that go back years if not decades..

Bill dropped the ball.

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#4 Oct 14, 2010
brian wrote:
Sorrell had a golden opportunity to investigate all the shady dealings going on at the Bellows Falls police dept, all he got was a cop who had a gambling problem.
There are very deep underlying problems with that dept that go back years if not decades..
Bill dropped the ball.
True, true, true. Is his opponent worthy or better...that is my question.
Hawkeye

Bennington, VT

#6 Oct 18, 2010
northstardust wrote:
Sorrell has been tough on environmental crimes. Hopefully he will hold Entergy's feet to the fire re what Shumlin calls 'the worst environmental disater in VT'.
Actually, the worst environment disaster in Vermont occurred in 1927 when mass flooding collapsed the of the damns, retaining walls, bridges etc. in Vermont.
For the 1927 New England flood, all lives lost occurred in Vermont with the exception of a death in Rhode Island. Of the Vermont fatalities, 55 were in the Winooski Valley where the storm's heaviest rains fell during the night time hours, according to Albert Kachic, a retired weather service regional hydrologist who specializes in flood history. Total property damage was conservatively estimated as $40 million ($960 million in 1997 dollars), of which $28 million dollars ($672 million in 1997 dollars) occurred in Vermont.

"In many areas, the rivers and streams rose so rapidly and at night that the inhabitants were taken by surprise," Kachic said. "Many were unable to escape to safety before being drowned in their houses. Rushing waters washed out bridges, retaining walls, dams, road embankments, houses, building, and farm lands."

The area of greatest precipitation was centered along the Green Mountains of Vermont and extended southward across Massachusetts into Connecticut. In this area, upwards of nine inches of rain landed on ground already saturated by heavy rains that fell from Oct. 18-21, 1927. Swamps and lakes were already full and most of the streams and creeks were running bank full, Kachic said. As a result, the rivers, small streams and creeks quickly overflowed their banks and filled many valleys from hill to hill.

The rainfall from Nov. 2-4 broke all records for continuous rain in Vermont, and many 24-hour records throughout the region with the areas of greatest recorded rainfall were in Vermont, eastern and western Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

At Burlington, Vt., the total rainfall for the period was 5.62 inches, of which 4.49 fell in 24 hours, according to weather service records. At Northfield, the storm total was 8.63 inches and the 24 hour fall 7.61 inches. Somerset, Vt., in the Connecticut River Basin, recorded 8.77 inches in 24 hours with a storm total of 9.65 inches, the maximum recorded.

Other points in Vermont where rainfall exceeded seven inches for Nov. 2-4 are Bennington, 7.63 inches; Cavendish, 7.96 inches; Chelsea, 7.35 inches; Rutland, 8.47 inches; Searsburg Mountain, 8.30 inches; and Woodstock, 7.38 inches.

The Winooski River at Montpelier, Vt., was three feet higher than the previous record and the entire business district was under eight to 10 feet of water. At White River Junction, Vt., the Connecticut River was five feet higher than the former record of March, 1913, and at Bellows Falls, Vt., 6.6 feet higher than in 1913. The crest of the flood on the Pemigewasset River at Plymouth, NH was nine feet higher than previously recorded peaks, and at Franklin Junction on the Merrimack River it was seven feet higher.

Other streams where exceptional flood stages were observed were the Missisquoi, Ottauquechee, Jail Branch, Dog, and Lamoille Rivers and Otter Creek in Vermont;

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#7 Oct 18, 2010
Hawkeye wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the worst environment disaster in Vermont occurred in 1927 when mass flooding collapsed the of the damns, retaining walls, bridges etc. in Vermont.
For the 1927 New England flood, all lives lost occurred in Vermont with the exception of a death in Rhode Island. Of the Vermont fatalities, 55 were in the Winooski Valley where the storm's heaviest rains fell during the night time hours, according to Albert Kachic, a retired weather service regional hydrologist who specializes in flood history. Total property damage was conservatively estimated as $40 million ($960 million in 1997 dollars), of which $28 million dollars ($672 million in 1997 dollars) occurred in Vermont.
"In many areas, the rivers and streams rose so rapidly and at night that the inhabitants were taken by surprise," Kachic said. "Many were unable to escape to safety before being drowned in their houses. Rushing waters washed out bridges, retaining walls, dams, road embankments, houses, building, and farm lands."
The area of greatest precipitation was centered along the Green Mountains of Vermont and extended southward across Massachusetts into Connecticut. In this area, upwards of nine inches of rain landed on ground already saturated by heavy rains that fell from Oct. 18-21, 1927. Swamps and lakes were already full and most of the streams and creeks were running bank full, Kachic said. As a result, the rivers, small streams and creeks quickly overflowed their banks and filled many valleys from hill to hill.
The rainfall from Nov. 2-4 broke all records for continuous rain in Vermont, and many 24-hour records throughout the region with the areas of greatest recorded rainfall were in Vermont, eastern and western Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
At Burlington, Vt., the total rainfall for the period was 5.62 inches, of which 4.49 fell in 24 hours, according to weather service records. At Northfield, the storm total was 8.63 inches and the 24 hour fall 7.61 inches. Somerset, Vt., in the Connecticut River Basin, recorded 8.77 inches in 24 hours with a storm total of 9.65 inches, the maximum recorded.
Other points in Vermont where rainfall exceeded seven inches for Nov. 2-4 are Bennington, 7.63 inches; Cavendish, 7.96 inches; Chelsea, 7.35 inches; Rutland, 8.47 inches; Searsburg Mountain, 8.30 inches; and Woodstock, 7.38 inches.
The Winooski River at Montpelier, Vt., was three feet higher than the previous record and the entire business district was under eight to 10 feet of water. At White River Junction, Vt., the Connecticut River was five feet higher than the former record of March, 1913, and at Bellows Falls, Vt., 6.6 feet higher than in 1913. The crest of the flood on the Pemigewasset River at Plymouth, NH was nine feet higher than previously recorded peaks, and at Franklin Junction on the Merrimack River it was seven feet higher.
Other streams where exceptional flood stages were observed were the Missisquoi, Ottauquechee, Jail Branch, Dog, and Lamoille Rivers and Otter Creek in Vermont;
More of your blocked eyeglazing mindnumbing factoids I never read.

And, it is not relevant.
Hawkeye

Bennington, VT

#8 Oct 25, 2010
Soooo predictable. If something does not agree with what you think or write or fit in your box it is not important. Was just providing a bit on "disaster" history". Nothing more, nothing less.

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#9 Oct 25, 2010
Who cares!
Myopia

Waitsfield, VT

#10 Oct 25, 2010
northstardust wrote:
Who cares!
I care. It is far more interesting and relevant than your paranoia about VT Yankee.

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#11 Oct 26, 2010

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#12 Oct 26, 2010
northstardust wrote:
Sorrell has been tough on environmental crimes. Hopefully he will hold Entergy's feet to the fire re what Shumlin calls 'the worst environmental disater in VT'.
Not sure who I will vote for but will *not* be Sorrell. He is part of Douglas/state gov't cabal complicit w/Entergy.

“figuresdontlie*l iarscanfigure”

Since: Feb 10

S. Londonderry VT

#13 Oct 26, 2010
brian wrote:
Sorrell had a golden opportunity to investigate all the shady dealings going on at the Bellows Falls police dept, all he got was a cop who had a gambling problem.
There are very deep underlying problems with that dept that go back years if not decades..
Bill dropped the ball.
Many thanks for your comment. I'm well aware of the shady BFPD. Great town, great ppl lousy village gov't, pd & the other parasites bilking the taxpayers. Salmon another crook.

Partly due to Salmons involvement in the TransCanada debacle he will not get my vote either.

Very sad b/c such a great place.

I have had personal experiences w/Anderson but no actual problems w/any others.

Due to his almost refusal to deal w/law enforcement crimes & abuses, these things continue in many pd's all over the state.

Douglas administration as well as appointees should be facing criminal charges for their complicity w/Entergy & basically serving as off-the-books staff.

It is an outrage that Douglas has used staff as private pr firm to the tune of nearly half a million a year. I rue the day I ever voted for this complete failure he has been for VTers in many more ways than administration serving as mere pr firm & lapdog for Entergy.

Good riddance to them all. Take back VT from the criminals who are billing us for killing us.
Anthony

Saint Albans, VT

#14 Oct 28, 2010
Some things make Kerin Karen unelectable. Her stance on ObamaCare is not one of them! We can't be tied to this Federal Juggernaut of waste. Kerin is the only candidate that was sworn to uphold my Constitutional right to NOT have health-care.
Jason

Bourbonnais, IL

#15 Oct 28, 2010
Charlotte will hold people accountable. She will hold nuclear back and make sure that the pols who have betrayed the public trust see justice.
Sorrelll

Bristol, VT

#16 Nov 12, 2010
Sorrell
yim

Bristol, VT

#17 Apr 5, 2011
yam
george

Saint Albans, VT

#18 Apr 16, 2011
Wild day at Duck Point ; wind. Rain. Hail.
frank

Warren, VT

#19 Apr 28, 2011
incense
Lucha

Westmoreland, NH

#20 Apr 28, 2011
Hawkeye wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the worst environment disaster in Vermont occurred in 1927 when mass flooding collapsed the of the damns, retaining walls, bridges etc. in Vermont.
For the 1927 New England flood, all lives lost occurred in Vermont with the exception of a death in Rhode Island. Of the Vermont fatalities, 55 were in the Winooski Valley where the storm's heaviest rains fell during the night time hours, according to Albert Kachic, a retired weather service regional hydrologist who specializes in flood history. Total property damage was conservatively estimated as $40 million ($960 million in 1997 dollars), of which $28 million dollars ($672 million in 1997 dollars) occurred in Vermont.
"In many areas, the rivers and streams rose so rapidly and at night that the inhabitants were taken by surprise," Kachic said. "Many were unable to escape to safety before being drowned in their houses. Rushing waters washed out bridges, retaining walls, dams, road embankments, houses, building, and farm lands."
The area of greatest precipitation was centered along the Green Mountains of Vermont and extended southward across Massachusetts into Connecticut. In this area, upwards of nine inches of rain landed on ground already saturated by heavy rains that fell from Oct. 18-21, 1927. Swamps and lakes were already full and most of the streams and creeks were running bank full, Kachic said. As a result, the rivers, small streams and creeks quickly overflowed their banks and filled many valleys from hill to hill.
The rainfall from Nov. 2-4 broke all records for continuous rain in Vermont, and many 24-hour records throughout the region with the areas of greatest recorded rainfall were in Vermont, eastern and western Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
At Burlington, Vt., the total rainfall for the period was 5.62 inches, of which 4.49 fell in 24 hours, according to weather service records. At Northfield, the storm total was 8.63 inches and the 24 hour fall 7.61 inches. Somerset, Vt., in the Connecticut River Basin, recorded 8.77 inches in 24 hours with a storm total of 9.65 inches, the maximum recorded.
Other points in Vermont where rainfall exceeded seven inches for Nov. 2-4 are Bennington, 7.63 inches; Cavendish, 7.96 inches; Chelsea, 7.35 inches; Rutland, 8.47 inches; Searsburg Mountain, 8.30 inches; and Woodstock, 7.38 inches.
The Winooski River at Montpelier, Vt., was three feet higher than the previous record and the entire business district was under eight to 10 feet of water. At White River Junction, Vt., the Connecticut River was five feet higher than the former record of March, 1913, and at Bellows Falls, Vt., 6.6 feet higher than in 1913. The crest of the flood on the Pemigewasset River at Plymouth, NH was nine feet higher than previously recorded peaks, and at Franklin Junction on the Merrimack River it was seven feet higher.
Other streams where exceptional flood stages were observed were the Missisquoi, Ottauquechee, Jail Branch, Dog, and Lamoille Rivers and Otter Creek in Vermont;
Wow!
Vote now

Warren, VT

#21 May 11, 2011
Mistry of course

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartland-Four-Corners Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
VT Who do you support for Governor in Vermont in 2... (Oct '10) Mar '13 Alexs Tavern LLC 113
VT Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Vermont i... (Oct '10) Oct '12 xxx 79
VT Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in V... (Oct '10) Nov '11 laluh 4
'Letting him know he was there' : Police say ma... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Sapienter proficiens 1
VT Who do you support for Secretary of State in Ve... (Oct '10) Mar '11 Jonah 10
VT Who do you support for Auditor of Accounts in V... (Oct '10) Oct '10 northstardust 9
VT Who do you support for Treasurer in Vermont in ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Helen Whalen 2
•••
•••
•••

Hartland-Four-Corners Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hartland-Four-Corners People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hartland-Four-Corners News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hartland-Four-Corners
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••