IBM: Daleville call center still on

Despite Friday's vote in the U.S. House of Representatives that would dismantle an agreement between the state of Indiana and IBM, the computer giant said it intends to go forward with plans for its 500-job ... Full Story
Here

New Albany, IN

#1 Jul 28, 2007
Our US House of Rep. does not give a hoot about Indiana. 500 jobs possibly down the drain hole. The government can't do anything right and that includes the food stamp program. Why not privatize it because it is crap now and has been for decades (for you Mitch haters) with the govt. running it.
Dems

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Jul 28, 2007
This is what you get when the dems run the country. Unfotunately, this is only the beginning of it. Wait until after the 2008 elections with congress unchanged and President Hillary.
Super 6

Bedford, IN

#3 Jul 28, 2007
Here wrote:
Our US House of Rep. does not give a hoot about Indiana. 500 jobs possibly down the drain hole. The government can't do anything right and that includes the food stamp program. Why not privatize it because it is crap now and has been for decades (for you Mitch haters) with the govt. running it.
Have you been receiving food stamps for decades?
picked clean

AOL

#4 Jul 28, 2007
Super 6 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you been receiving food stamps for decades?


Now it's the big corporations with their Republican cronies who want the "stamps." There's so much money at the public trough for them to slurp up, and so little oversight, because they're private.

If you thought the private sector did a good job with the privatization of Walter Reed, you will love what IBM does to Indiana. Of course there were a few picky little problems at Walter Reed, but Republican stalwart Dan Quayle and his Cerberus bunch made a mint, and that's what it's all about.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: May 07

Indianapolis/Muncie

#5 Jul 28, 2007
omg, mitch privitized food stamps too?? what's next?!!

“Equality for ALL”

Since: May 07

Indianapolis/Muncie

#6 Jul 28, 2007
Dems wrote:
This is what you get when the dems run the country. Unfotunately, this is only the beginning of it. Wait until after the 2008 elections with congress unchanged and President Hillary.
Unfortunately, that'd be the best thing to happen to America in a long time.
Here

New Albany, IN

#8 Jul 28, 2007
Super 6 wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you been receiving food stamps for decades?
Nope! I would push a broom and be a janitor before I live on food stamps!
IndyTom

United States

#9 Jul 28, 2007
Leave it to the Dems for killing 500 jobs.
Deadeye

Elkhart, IN

#10 Jul 28, 2007
The Democraps are pandering to the AFSME union. I sincerely hope and pray that Senatatot Lugar will force the deletion of the offending passages, or Bush will veto the 2007 Farm Bill.
Deadeye

Elkhart, IN

#11 Jul 28, 2007
I'd steal, or sell my body.
Which is sort of the same thing.
Here wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope! I would push a broom and be a janitor before I live on food stamps!
Baja

Bedford, IN

#13 Jul 28, 2007
Thank you Democrats (not)!

Gil

“White Hoosier Conservative ”

Since: Apr 07

Fishers, Indiana

#14 Jul 28, 2007
Here wrote:
Our US House of Rep. does not give a hoot about Indiana. 500 jobs possibly down the drain hole.
500??? What about the 1,000 jobs the contract with the state and IBM created? I thought the Dems where all about jobs, jobs, jobs. This has NOTHING to do with protecting welfare records and everything to do with make Daniels look bad!

Gil

“White Hoosier Conservative ”

Since: Apr 07

Fishers, Indiana

#15 Jul 28, 2007
Here wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope! I would push a broom and be a janitor before I live on food stamps!
Friends, you can't live on Food Stamps! There is not that much each month.
A x-caseworker

Pryor, OK

#16 Jul 28, 2007
The call centers have nothing to do with food stamp issuance. Their job is to gather and request verifications for changes in a case or to tell the caller if they now have or do not have benefits or what they still need to supply to recieve what they have applied for. IF the call center were to work correctly it would be of benefit to those who recieve assistance. You know how it is**it's 1am and you just have to know if you have been approved for assistance*how much and when you will get it. But the same clients could call their case worker during normal business hours or wait for a letter in the mail or call the 1-800 number which is provided to them. Basically the call center is a waiste of your and my tax dollars and a duplication of services provided by the public servants who worked for you and me with out making a profit. But what the heck it's a private contract.
Ono

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Jul 28, 2007
A x-caseworker wrote:
The call centers have nothing to do with food stamp issuance. Their job is to gather and request verifications for changes in a case or to tell the caller if they now have or do not have benefits or what they still need to supply to recieve what they have applied for. IF the call center were to work correctly it would be of benefit to those who recieve assistance. You know how it is**it's 1am and you just have to know if you have been approved for assistance*how much and when you will get it. But the same clients could call their case worker during normal business hours or wait for a letter in the mail or call the 1-800 number which is provided to them. Basically the call center is a waiste of your and my tax dollars and a duplication of services provided by the public servants who worked for you and me with out making a profit. But what the heck it's a private contract.
And it's not 500 new jobs; the call centers will be staffed by ACS employees that are currently housed in local offices. The call centers are NOT providing new jobs, only redistributing current ones.
Come ON

Beatrice, NE

#18 Jul 29, 2007
Deadeye wrote:
The Democraps are pandering to the AFSME union. I sincerely hope and pray that Senatatot Lugar will force the deletion of the offending passages, or Bush will veto the 2007 Farm Bill.
I'd say you have been drinking too much GOP coffee. The loss of jobs was just a threat by an adminstration that is loosing support daily. Make sure you know what you are asking for when you talk to Sen. Lugar
chuck

United States

#19 Jul 30, 2007
IndyTom wrote:
Leave it to the Dems for killing 500 jobs.
What you don't understand is that these are not new jobs! They are simply moving current State Employees out of other Counties. I hope your Mother does not need Medicaid and has to deal with a call center for help.
whats up with this

Georgetown, IN

#20 Jul 30, 2007
Wake up people! The call center mentioned in the article is NOT the one associated with the public assistance programs. It is the one which IBM promised to create to handle other types of business calls (they do more than oversee privatization, you know.) This was supposed to be a payback for getting the $1 bilion plus contract for welfare. Now the politicians are afraid that IBM won't deliver the payoff if the contract fall through.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hartford City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Beware of SEAN MOREILLON 30 min Whats To Know 38
Nude pics of abby seals Sat Hahahahahaha 9
TV is Violent and Getting More Violent in The W... Fri Culture Auditor 1
Christina isenburg at rostertail Nov 19 mark 19
Munciana (Feb '14) Nov 14 Kiley Lingenfelter 3
$5.00 Dog and Cat Nail Trim Event Nov 13 Kelley Stewart 1
Professional Pet Sitter (Dec '12) Nov 13 Kelley Stewart 2
Hartford City Dating
Find my Match

Hartford City People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hartford City News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hartford City

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:50 pm PST

NBC Sports12:50PM
Rob Gronkowski fined $8,268 for bouncer move
NFL 1:30 PM
Colt McCoy 'pushing' Robert Griffin III, Gruden says
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Colts' Week 12 Preview vs. Jags
NBC Sports 9:51 AM
Colts cut return man Griff Whalen, sign RB Zurlon Tipton
NFL10:14 AM
Colts promote Zurlon Tipton, waive Griff Whalen