Margie

Pittsburgh, PA

#7833 Jun 29, 2012
Parsecsam wrote:
<quoted text>
- That is a good Question! When I was three years old, Sammy M. knocked me down as he came out of that shoe store on Fifth Ave. I was with my Mother and she took me over to the store on fourth avenue and told my Dad. My Dad had a talk With Sammy about it. That would have been around 1933. They were well known then, so It would have been some time in the twenties or earlier when others might have been in control. During those years, my Grandfather was in politics in the town - but I don't know nothin'!!
I think you're right about the time frame. I read about a murder that took place in 1934, in which the wife of the victim implicated Sam and Kelly. It seemed clear that they were some kind of big deals. Interestingly, they weren't charged with the murder, which was investigated by Allegheny County because the body was found on Coxcomb Hill.
Parsecsam

Irvine, CA

#7834 Jun 29, 2012
I miss Olderndirt.
Beach Buckett

Ormond Beach, FL

#7835 Jul 1, 2012
As I read the postings, I also enjoyed Olderndirt. I may have know him, but am not able to place his telling of events and a person. I am older than Olderndirt. Is he still around? What happened to him?

I have noticed in re-reading my own posts, that I have made mistakes in the ledger. Bad eyes, poor hearing and nearly ready for the last laps, but I think my brain still works in a reasonable manner.

Margie from the Valley? The sub family had legit businesses as mentioned, and some collected by way of debts.(Catoris Candy)

The iron and scrap steel business was almost made possible by the Govt. During the war, they supplied scrap metal for the war effort. Collected free and sold to the private industry at a huge profit. Do you remember Scrap Drives?

Paraecsam must have been "on the street" during my time.

I have little knowledge of the current situation in the valley. I have not visited in 20 years, but still hear some from a very few remaining friends.
Valley Heights 59

Arlington, TX

#7836 Jul 1, 2012
Beach Buckett wrote:
As I read the postings, I also enjoyed Olderndirt. I may have know him, but am not able to place his telling of events and a person. I am older than Olderndirt. Is he still around? What happened to him?
I have noticed in re-reading my own posts, that I have made mistakes in the ledger. Bad eyes, poor hearing and nearly ready for the last laps, but I think my brain still works in a reasonable manner.
Margie from the Valley? The sub family had legit businesses as mentioned, and some collected by way of debts.(Catoris Candy)
The iron and scrap steel business was almost made possible by the Govt. During the war, they supplied scrap metal for the war effort. Collected free and sold to the private industry at a huge profit. Do you remember Scrap Drives?
I have little knowledge of the current situation in the valley. I have not visited in 20 years, but still hear some from a very few remaining friends.
Dirt passed away during the week of May 17, 2012. If you go back to those dates on this forum, it was discussed. He will always be missed.
Chuck C

Lake Worth, FL

#7837 Jul 1, 2012
Valley Heights 59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dirt passed away during the week of May 17, 2012. If you go back to those dates on this forum, it was discussed. He will always be missed.
YEP;;;Given Oldandirty,a hard time,was fun,And I like to believe,he knew we were jerking him around.But the Pollock,in him,would never let him admit it....C.C.
Parsecsam

El Monte, CA

#7838 Jul 1, 2012
Valley Heights 59 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, Dirt, will be missed. I was on the streets in those days. Buckett, we are very close in age. I'll be 83 in September. Graduated in 1947. Most of the posts related to memories of New Kensington are written by people of the 60s. I was back in New Ken at that time )June of 1966, on my way to New York, but wasn't too involved with he city (I booked my wife into the Bachelor Club until we moved to NY). My Dad passed away in August of 1967 and I went on to New York.
Valley Camp Girl

New Kensington, PA

#7839 Jul 1, 2012
All of you past citizens from New Ken would have been very proud of your home city last night! They had a wonderful fireworks display!!
Beach Buckett

Ormond Beach, FL

#7840 Jul 1, 2012
I researched the post and I am sure we never crossed paths. I just liked the way he expressed his thoughts and feelings in the quick read .

The old down the steps Batch. Vic and The Talk of the Towners. My favorite at the time was "Watermelon Man. They played frequently at Kelly's cub. That was a special place in the 50's.

VH 59: Thank you for the return. I will continue some thoughts and memories on the old times as nature allows. Buckett List

Since: Nov 09

Fort Myers, FL

#7841 Jul 1, 2012
Valley Camp Girl wrote:
All of you past citizens from New Ken would have been very proud of your home city last night! They had a wonderful fireworks display!!
I always remember the fireworks 4 July in Springdale I think the firemans put them on I have never seen any to compare. Grand finale ground actually shook. Tubby Guess I should say for local communitys Lived near DC they did a great job
Valley Camp Girl

New Kensington, PA

#7842 Jul 1, 2012
tubby039 wrote:
<quoted text>I always remember the fireworks 4 July in Springdale I think the firemans put them on I have never seen any to compare. Grand finale ground actually shook. Tubby Guess I should say for local communitys Lived near DC they did a great job
Tubby, I think the fireworks in Springdale are this coming week. Of course, they also had the parade and carnival, too. If you were on the field, it shook!!!
Chuck C

West Palm Beach, FL

#7843 Jul 2, 2012
Beach Buckett wrote:
I don`t think anyone said welcome to RNKNL,so welcome!Some times I like to know more about things,an people,so if I may ask.How long ago did you find,RNKNL.What part of N.K.did you grow up in,and may be you could get some of your old friends,in N.K. to join us.New blood so to speak,new old memories,would be injoyed by all.I have lived in Fl. for a long wail,but never heard of Ormond Beach,sounds like a pleasent little place,been there for a wail?Please excuse my instrust,in thing that may not be any of my business.Nothing venture,nothing gained,if you feel I am prying I WILL UNDERSTAND.Again welcome too RNKNL....C.C.
Chuck C

West Palm Beach, FL

#7844 Jul 2, 2012
I went ahead an answered my own Question.Ormond Beach..The brith place of speed,just north of Daytona,nice place can you still drive on the beach?try that here you better have your AAA towing card..All though we have a good race track here,very small,but some great car races.Driveing A1A through some of those town,can be great fun,and good eats,and neat people.To get fishing tips,on hot spots for Bass.My self I like fresh water fishing
Beach Buckett

Ormond Beach, FL

#7845 Jul 2, 2012
Chuck C.- You welcomed me a few days ago so I feel comfortable now. Do not want to run at the key board as there is nothing at this stage of my life to explain. Just to entertain.

Grew up on the hills of East NK. Martin school for 8 years. Does anyone remember the principal? He was a legend in his time. A wonderful teacher and educator Initials JP.

My friends from my era are not able to speak. I cannot think of any that are still alive and able to computer.

I picked up on this posting by accident while browsing thru the NK sites.

Started off with someone writing a book about the old days and claiming to be a member of the family. Took me a few hours to do all of the entries and now I am a small part.

Ormond was a small quiet place when I came here in the early 80's but, as always it has out grown its once charming community.

Reading the postings shakes some memories from this old tree and I get a big charge from the past that electrifies my spirits.

My buckett list includes sharing some things with others and hoping to get some sharing of my own.

Thank you Chuck C. Buckett List
Beach Buckett

Ormond Beach, FL

#7846 Jul 2, 2012
His name was Bouie. He had a first name, but I have lost it in the back of my memory. He was a trouble maker for the the family in a lot of ways. On TV, in the Press and on the radio. Exposing the evils of the numbers racket that sucked the poor people of the Hill District dry of even their nickels and dimes.

This went on for a considerable amount of time and was becoming a problem that had to be taken under control. Soon the feds and maybe even some locals might be inclined to investigate.

Bouie found himself taken off the street and dumped in an open grave in Squirrel Hill. The darkness of night added to his fright. The only visual was the cloudy and cold dark sky and some voices high above him.

As dirt began dropping in on him, he pleaded to be given another chance and would never be heard from. The dirt stopped and he was never again on TV, in the Press or on the street. Only as a passive citizen.

Just remembered this little tid bit. Buckett List
Chuck C

West Palm Beach, FL

#7847 Jul 2, 2012
Well now an`t that nice.And who are you really;;;;That O.K. I got a good idea.....
Ambrose Kid 60

Pittsburgh, PA

#7848 Jul 3, 2012
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMERICA. Many happy returns.
Beach Buckett

Ormond Beach, FL

#7849 Jul 3, 2012
Just as soon remain unknown. Only want to share the Old Times and just maybe cross paths with someone I once knew. There are some remaining, but not in that local. They will know me quick enough if they read this.

The man was known as Al Ross. AKA The Chinaman, AKA Abe Zied. He was the only associate that frightened me when in his presence. He had an odd look about him. Russian or semi Asian (Chinaman) He looked straight through you into your thoughtless soul and you felt accused even if you had nothing of which to be accused. Scary to say the least. I stayed in the distance from his domain. His reputation was well known and I believe greatly over stated. but one could never be sure.

The FBI accounts identify him a a hit man, but discount the smack on B.Seigel in Vegas. That was not his M.O.
He was taken out as a result of shake downs of automobile dealers in the Monroville area when there was not much in the way of "jobs" in the declining racket business. Their cars needed protection from fire etc.

The accounts of his demise listed in the posts are fairly accurate as I was led to believe, but the knowers were not talkers

If you like this sort of story telling, I can continue as I am enjoying sharing. If on the other hand it is old and worthless,I can forgo Old Times. Bucket List
Ambrose Kid 60

New Kensington, PA

#7850 Jul 3, 2012
I certainly appreciate your feelings. I have done my best to maintain my anonymity, also. One can't be too careful in these times.
Beach Buckett

Ormond Beach, FL

#7851 Jul 3, 2012
One of the posters made me aware of the time frames that constitutes Old Times. Not the 60's or the 70's Mine are 40's and 50's so I think I may be preaching to a dead audience. A certain joy in remembering and sharing helps to keep me getting up in the AM.(paracsam)

Ambrose was a near common name in NK. Drug store, a couple of doctors. One died at a very early age.

Will be off for a few days as I need some medical attention. Hope to get back to this station later in the month. Enjoy the holiday. This nation earned its freedom by blood and guts, not empty promises and lies under the guise of political speeches, no matter how good they sound. Even today, there is no such thing as a free lunch. Buckett List
Ambrose Kid 60

New Kensington, PA

#7852 Jul 3, 2012
The drug store was Emrose. The ENT was my uncle. He died when he was 83.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harrison Township Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Polarizing Political View Points (Dec '10) 11 hr easy 1,768
CHUCKIE CROGHAN Speaks (Feb '10) Sat easy 1,634
Fifth Avenue in the1950s (Jul '09) Dec 19 fgarabia 37
“memories only” of new kensington and local areas (Jan '10) Dec 16 StJoesKid61-69 1,738
"Mail Call" (Oct '13) Dec 16 easy 95
Debate: Marijuana - New Kensington, PA (Aug '10) Dec 6 RICHARD 133
How Meany Want To Run These Illegals Out Of Our... (Feb '11) Nov 30 3M TA3 722
More from around the web

Harrison Township People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Harrison Township News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Harrison Township

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:56 pm PST