Who thinks Harlan Co. will once again be BLOODY HARLAN by 2011?

Created by My Opinion on Dec 15, 2009

106 votes

Click on an option to vote

I think it will!

Never!

Possibly!

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Will Taylor

Harlan, KY

#1 Dec 16, 2009
I voted yes, and the reason is because of some of the idiots we have living here.
HARLAN CO

Pikeville, KY

#2 Dec 16, 2009
for sure because of the way coal is going
guest

Manchester, KY

#3 Dec 16, 2009
Does anyone know the true factual reason why Harlan was called "Bloody Harlan" years ago?
HARLAN CO

Pikeville, KY

#4 Dec 16, 2009
guest wrote:
Does anyone know the true factual reason why Harlan was called "Bloody Harlan" years ago?
yes and there is a movie to back it up it was when the coal strikes were going on and the coal owners were shooting them and back in fourth between each other it all became known as bloody harlan years later and will happen again with coal
True

Ransom, KY

#5 Dec 16, 2009
Yea somebody needs to shut these coal companies down before they start killing people again. Just shows how dirty big coal is.
Uhh

Baxter, KY

#6 Dec 16, 2009
Why shut them down doofus thats where it all starts!
Jim Stanley

Ransom, KY

#7 Dec 17, 2009
True wrote:
Yea somebody needs to shut these coal companies down before they start killing people again. Just shows how dirty big coal is.
I agree with you 100%!!It's time we stand up to big coal!!!
coalminer

Lancaster, WI

#8 Dec 17, 2009
it would be worth fighting for...all the jobs...people has to live somehow...tree huggers sure not going to keep us up.

“~Tutto E Possibile~ ”

Since: Sep 09

Harlan, KY

#9 Dec 17, 2009
Some of these posts just show how little, or nothing, that people know about what's going on with coal! I don't know whether to be sad or frustated. Listen people, what happened in the 70's is TOTALLY different than what is happening now. Its not even close to the same thing! Please, please get educated about this. One of the most glaring differences is that operators and miners are all in this togather, not fighting one another! We may actually live up to our name again but it will be as ONE. A united front. Against the governement, NOT coal operators. Please people, this is so important. This isn't a trivial little issue. As coal miner said, this is ALL the jobs in the coal industry. How can we ever fight the government when so many know so little about what's actually taking place?? Again, PLEASE, take a few minutes and get educated about all this. Or email me, my address is on my info page, and I will tell you myself!
coalminer

Lancaster, WI

#10 Dec 17, 2009
you are right seeker....it's the tree huggers thats tring to cause all the trouble this time ..not the operaters...they are with us this round..
Kayla Smith

Harlan, KY

#11 Dec 17, 2009
they're laying too many men off and Obama is goin crazy if he thinks that all of us that grew up around these mines are jus gonna sit back and let them get shut down without a fight.the ppl Harlan county has always stood up for what they believe and i dont think we;re gonna back down any time soon :)
HARLAN CO

Pikeville, KY

#12 Dec 17, 2009
right it wont be the same kind of fight but it will come
so u know

Harlan, KY

#13 Dec 17, 2009
why can't people see this is about freedoms of the people who pay taxes on it.. is this china or the us
HARLAN CO

Pikeville, KY

#14 Dec 18, 2009
TIME TO FIRE ON THE DEMOCRATS IF WE WANT TO WIN COAL BACK FOR GOOD BETTER GET SOME REPUBLICANS IN OFFICE AND START BUILDING THE COAL BACK UP !!!!!!!!! REPUBLIC REPUBLIC REPUBLIC THAT IS THE ONLY WAY!!!!
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#15 Jun 3, 2012
Y do so many of yall think violence is going to happen again ? Cuz King Co's gun thugs going come down on you people a reign of terror like you've never seen... if u just shut ur mouths, and stop complainin... if yall knew wat was good fur ya ? Is that why ?
Guest

United States

#16 Jun 4, 2012
-Seeker- wrote:
Listen people, what happened in the 70's is TOTALLY different than what is happening now. Its not even close to the same thing! Please, please get educated about this.
Harlan got the name Bloody Harlan in the 1930s, way before the 1970s.

The 1970s was like a walk in the park compared to what happened in the 1930s that gave Harlan the nickname Bloody Harlan. Only one person was killed during the strike in the 1970s. There were dozens, maybe even hundreds, killed in the 1930s strike.

“There's more than one religion”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#17 Jun 4, 2012
Next it will be the mines vs. Walmart (since those seem to be the two main viable career choices there).

If Harlan started focusing on education and trying to draw technology companies there with incentives, some additional industries might avert the inevitable coal melt-down.

When topology and geography work against ya, one has to get creative. Just look at switzerland - bad terrain, so they went the financial route. A real focus on education and technology could help turn Harlan around.
ratso

Laredo, TX

#18 Jun 4, 2012
-Seeker- wrote:
Some of these posts just show how little, or nothing, that people know about what's going on with coal! I don't know whether to be sad or frustated. Listen people, what happened in the 70's is TOTALLY different than what is happening now. Its not even close to the same thing! Please, please get educated about this. One of the most glaring differences is that operators and miners are all in this togather, not fighting one another! We may actually live up to our name again but it will be as ONE. A united front. Against the governement, NOT coal operators. Please people, this is so important. This isn't a trivial little issue. As coal miner said, this is ALL the jobs in the coal industry. How can we ever fight the government when so many know so little about what's actually taking place?? Again, PLEASE, take a few minutes and get educated about all this. Or email me, my address is on my info page, and I will tell you myself!
yes, i was just thinking along those lines. and people dont go out and get themselves killed in labor disputes much anymore. the people are a bit smarter and the unions are a lot weaker.
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#19 Jun 4, 2012
Guest wrote:
<quoted text>Harlan got the name Bloody Harlan in the 1930s, way before the 1970s.
The 1970s was like a walk in the park compared to what happened in the 1930s that gave Harlan the nickname Bloody Harlan. Only one person was killed during the strike in the 1970s. There were dozens, maybe even hundreds, killed in the 1930s strike.
The 1930s were when working men were men, instead of the dkkkless cowards we got today.
Paul

Somerset, KY

#20 Jun 4, 2012
Miners today would rather sit back and blame Obama rather than doing something that actually helps. That's the downside of not having any education. they don't understand how our system works, and they don't have the ability to see the bigger picture.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harlan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mitch McConnell is anti Coal Miner 31 min Coalminer 6
GILL smith jr 4 hr Guest 1
Looking for needy families 4 hr Guest 2
Mark from Food Stamp Office 4 hr Hahaha 8
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 6 hr Mike Duquette 131,463
post 10 Danny Caudill (May '12) 19 hr thatisdannycaudill 101
Tracey at the food stamp office (Mar '14) Thu Gary Planck 3
Karen Davenport, Kellie Wilson and Cynthia Allison Wed mans world 1
Harlan Dating
Find my Match

Harlan Jobs

Harlan People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Harlan News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Harlan

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]