Hanover district forms cyber school

Full story: Evening Sun

Starting this fall, Hanover Public School District will offer its own cyber school.
Comments
1 - 11 of 11 Comments Last updated Jan 22, 2013
Recruiting

Mount Aetna, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 7, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

Wow, and all they ever claim is that Delone Catholic recruits. This is worse than that. Now you can pick students from anywhere in the world to attend hanover schools - that takes recruiting to a new level.

Nice try Hanover but you still will never beat Delone Catholic.
laws

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 7, 2010
 
Educational laws need to be changed. It is ridiculous that we, the taxpayers, are paying for private school students, cyber students, etc - when they are doing this as an option, not because of special needs.

These are people who did not want to use the public system and thus are getting most everything paid for them, busing, etc - and they opted for Private education. This should not be happening - just as the school districts paying for busing of private students to schools - even outside the area!

Contact your legislators today for CHANGE!
hey WHAT

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 7, 2010
 
Hey Laws, my child goes to a private school and I still pay taxs for everyone else's kids to go to public School? Look at your school tax bill! Your going to whine about a bus ride?
Laws- "This should not be happening - just as the school districts paying for busing of private students to schools - even outside the area!"
Facts

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 7, 2010
 
Recruiting wrote:
Wow, and all they ever claim is that Delone Catholic recruits. This is worse than that. Now you can pick students from anywhere in the world to attend hanover schools - that takes recruiting to a new level.
Nice try Hanover but you still will never beat Delone Catholic.
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? This is for students in the Hanover district to use instead of those students choosing some other cyber school. This is not for students outside the district, as evidenced in the third sentence when it says " it's also an effort to educate more kids in the district" and in Musselman's quote when he says "not only do people want to be a part of the Hanover cyber school because it's where they live."

Not everything is about some rivalry which seems to be the one thing which you can wrap your brain around. Sorry that a real story about education has denied you the opportunity to puff your chest out over the athletic exploits of teenagers.
hoot

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 7, 2010
 
Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any idea what you are talking about? This is for students in the Hanover district to use instead of those students choosing some other cyber school. This is not for students outside the district, as evidenced in the third sentence when it says " it's also an effort to educate more kids in the district" and in Musselman's quote when he says "not only do people want to be a part of the Hanover cyber school because it's where they live."
Not everything is about some rivalry which seems to be the one thing which you can wrap your brain around. Sorry that a real story about education has denied you the opportunity to puff your chest out over the athletic exploits of teenagers.
cyber school is a joke what kind of life is that for kid to sit in front of a computer and learn ???? and have no life outside or the school mates .or the fun of going class room and seeing your mates along the way the old school way or have our kid stare at a wall and say mom this is boring? thats the wall the computer puts up.
laws

Lebanon, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 7, 2010
 
hey WHAT wrote:
Hey Laws, my child goes to a private school and I still pay taxs for everyone else's kids to go to public School? Look at your school tax bill! Your going to whine about a bus ride?
Laws- "This should not be happening - just as the school districts paying for busing of private students to schools - even outside the area!"
You pay taxes but they are not for you to get a "special ride" - meaning, free transportation ( even if the school is in another state ) and school expenses paid for by the public because you opted for your child to go to Private school. Private means just that -- you decided that the public schools were not good enough so you chose to go to another. Private schooling for your child USED TO MEAN you picked up the tab !!

And if the districts were not spending all this money on Cyber Schooling, home schooling, etc for "private" schooling for "some," maybe our public schools would be more to your 'superior' ideals.

I big time resent busing Private School students and providing home schooled children with laptops, etc. If you decide you want this type of education for your children, then YOU provide what is needed in supplies and transportation. End of story!
hey WHAT

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 8, 2010
 
laws wrote:
<quoted text>
You pay taxes but they are not for you to get a "special ride" - meaning, free transportation ( even if the school is in another state ) and school expenses paid for by the public because you opted for your child to go to Private school. Private means just that -- you decided that the public schools were not good enough so you chose to go to another. Private schooling for your child USED TO MEAN you picked up the tab !!
And if the districts were not spending all this money on Cyber Schooling, home schooling, etc for "private" schooling for "some," maybe our public schools would be more to your 'superior' ideals.
I big time resent busing Private School students and providing home schooled children with laptops, etc. If you decide you want this type of education for your children, then YOU provide what is needed in supplies and transportation. End of story!
I fully resent paying for your child's (public school) education. I think it would be wonderful if I stopped paying school taxes and paid for another form of transportation for my child. Last time I checked I thought we had freedom of choice? Are you saying my tax contribution is not enough to cover the bus ride? You should be thanking me for keeping your tax bill down instead of complaining. END OF STORY!!!
Pro-cyber

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 8, 2010
 
Whether you agree or not on the issue of where the tax money goes, cyber school is a great option when you live in a community you like but aren't happy with the quality of education in the district. This was my choice. My tax money gets paid just like everyone else's. The school district isn't educating my child, so they don't need the money (i.e. aren't earning it). I'm anxious to see how this is going to work for Hanover since they have trouble educating students in their own buildings, now they're going to try and make these same teachers do more work? Will be interesting to say the least.....
Hanover Parent

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 8, 2010
 
hoot wrote:
<quoted text>cyber school is a joke what kind of life is that for kid to sit in front of a computer and learn ???? and have no life outside or the school mates .or the fun of going class room and seeing your mates along the way the old school way or have our kid stare at a wall and say mom this is boring? thats the wall the computer puts up.
That is such a misconception. While they are at a computer, many Cyber schools have virtual class rooms where they can be in contact with other kids on a regular basis. They also offer field trips and get-togethers . Many children are involved with activities within their communities where they will be with lots of other kids their age. Cyber school also offers a more flexible schedule. If a family wants to take their own "field trip" they can and the student can do their work on the weekend or the evening. A Cyber student does not have to deal with disruptive students in a class room, and believe me there is a lot of them. I only see this as a positive option for a student
Facts

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 9, 2010
 
Pro-cyber wrote:
they're going to try and make these same teachers do more work? Will be interesting to say the least.....
Actually, they won't be doing this. The teacher schedules will be adjusted so that the period they get to work with cyber students will replace something they are currently doing it, not be added to their load. I saw Musselman at an end of the year event and was asking him about the project since I head heard about it through the grapevine. They aren't piling on the teacher's schedules for a lot of reasons, chief being that the union wouldn't stand for it.

The other issues are very valid, but it's not giving them extra work, just different work.
x hanover parent

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 22, 2013
 
my kids went to a brick an morder school all they got there was failure. We changed to a cyber school , now my kids are thriving they like going to school are doing great in all there subjects get along well with there teachers an don't have to put up with a the drama that gos on at regular school. best thing I could have done for them so if this cyber school idea they have does this for some kid having trouble at Hanover I say koodles for them

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 2 hr Jesus C 51,282
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 10 hr Krave MaMeat 5,416
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 22 hr A Muslims Useful... 3,899
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) Aug 15 Nicole 7
York City man charged with murdering baby Aug 9 Joe Biden 1
Suburban Life: Towns band together to share lov... Jul 22 Black dude 1
bulllys at the work place. Jul '14 robert 1

Search the Hanover Forum:
•••
•••
Hanover Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Hanover News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hanover
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••