Warehime-Myers, Hanover's other mansion, opens its doors to the...

Full story: Evening Sun

The main staircase of the Warehime-Myers Mansion can be seen on tours of the house.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Dec 07

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2008

The big kitty cats out front are tacky and should disappear some dark night. The poofter colors also detract from the subdued style in that house before it was bought by Warehime. I'm anxious to see it.
Gladys Reitzel Lippy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

I lived in Hanover during my school years and fondly remember the Sheppard/Myers Mansions. Although I never was inside them, my dad Clyde Reitzel,a butcher, served the meat they ate.
He always entered through the servants entrance, he was impressed by the size of the home. I often wondered just how cozy a home that size could be? I'm glad the homes are being restored as so many antiques are being destroyed.
Jaime Rabin

Brampton, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

I agree with Mr. Spangler's post. Those lions are horrible and totally detract from the classiness of the mansion.

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

I have to agree with Jeff Spangler. The mansion lost it's style and class when Warehime bought it. Suddenly there were holiday flags and decorations flying out front, along with those lions. And the "stained glass" in the sun porch looks like nothing more than the fake glass paint (I don't understand that change. why do it? It's not original to the home. Now that the Historical Society owns it I think it should be returned to it's original appearance, inside and outside. I also think the mansion should be referred to as the "Myers Mansion". Warehime didn't build it, he simply bought it, never lived in it. Don't get me wrong, it's a very generous gift to the community and something he didn't have to do. But why make those ridiculous changes to it's appearance?
jillkl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

The mansion on Frederick Street is what you would expect - beautiful wall coverings, original lighting, etc. I know I will be disappointed with the one on Baltimore St. with the tacky colors, etc. Yep, I vote for trying to take it back to its original charm and HISTORIC beauty.
Hanover Taxpayer

Dover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

OK Let me think. I am going to pay $8 to go and look at some dusty nick nacks. Yea right.

Hanover, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

Hanover Taxpayer wrote:
OK Let me think. I am going to pay $8 to go and look at some dusty nick nacks. Yea right.
You just don't get it. This home and it's twin, the Sheppard Mansion have alot of significance for the town of Hanover.

I really feel that Mr. Warehime ruined the historical integrity of the Myers Mansion.
Common Tater

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

Judged:

Born and forever Hanoverian and I agree it should be the MYERS mansion and restored to original. I know Mr. Warehime had some eccentric tastes and it was reflected on the mansion's appearance, but since it is a historic building, shouldn't it be restored as such?
Joe

Woodbury, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

I'm just guessing, but I would bet that the gift included the caveat that the Warehime name be tacked onto it. I have never seen such a curious case of hubris coupled with insecurity than I have with Bill Warehime and his nephew Michael. Money does not equal class.
Kelsey

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

Hello. I was wondering if I could have farther information about how to rent out the mansion for a day for a party. If you could get back at me asap, it'd be greatly apperciated. Thank you.
Kelsey

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 6, 2008

Btw. e-mail address is kelseysersen@yahoo.com,

thank you again.
Kelsey.
Juan Numero Uno

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2008

Shouldn't the land be put to better use? How about tearing it down and building a strip mall?
Juan Numero Uno

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2008

Or how about a medical center? Or how about low income housing?
Common Tater

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Juan Numero Uno wrote:
Shouldn't the land be put to better use? How about tearing it down and building a strip mall?
Jerk.

Since: Nov 08

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Common Tater wrote:
<quoted text>
Jerk.
Why, thank you.
do you know

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

Do you know how many underpaid employees of the old Hanover Shoe Factory, owned by Sheppard and Myers helped pay for these two hugh mansions to be built? Ask any oldtimer.
polly

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

do you know wrote:
Do you know how many underpaid employees of the old Hanover Shoe Factory, owned by Sheppard and Myers helped pay for these two hugh mansions to be built? Ask any oldtimer.
The employees were not FORCED to work in the factory. They had a job and chose to work there. It put food on their tables too!
Party On Dudes

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

jillkl wrote:
The mansion on Frederick Street is what you would expect - beautiful wall coverings, original lighting, etc. I know I will be disappointed with the one on Baltimore St. with the tacky colors, etc. Yep, I vote for trying to take it back to its original charm and HISTORIC beauty.
We used to have parties in the one on Fredrick St back when it was vacant and I was in High School. We did not break in since I had keys to get in it then. Oh the good ol' days!
do you know

Gettysburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

polly wrote:
<quoted text> The employees were not FORCED to work in the factory. They had a job and chose to work there. It put food on their tables too!
You're right, they did not have to work there. But that does not negate the fact that they ( S and M ) kept the wages low all over town. The very rich can dictate wages in a small town when they own it.
Did you know that they kept Unions out of Hanover for years.
Were you around in the 30s 40s and50s? There weren't too many large industries (with unions) around here then. In YORK, but not HANOVER! The 'BOYS' kept them out so they wouldn't have to pay their own employees more. Where else could you go for a better job in Hanover? There were none.
melvin

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 9, 2008

to comon tater,

Your a jerk

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

14 Users are viewing the Hanover Forum right now

Search the Hanover Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 17 min Wharfs for cape cod 5,130
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 1 hr Julio Juandez 51,410
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 7 hr Independent Voter 3,557
Editor's column: How do you pronounce Gettysburg? (Aug '13) Apr 18 Davenport 23
Public hearing set for 'Big Pipe' proposal Apr 17 Davenport 8
Man arrested in April Franklin House Tavern sta... (Jan '11) Apr 16 nonyabusiness 51
York County sheriffs nab 19 in recent warrant s... Apr 13 lady 4
•••

Fire Warning for York County was issued at April 24 at 6:50AM EDT

•••
•••
•••
Hanover Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Hanover Jobs

•••