Hanover cracks down on parade chairs

Full story: Evening Sun

April Weese, Makayla Bucher, 2, and Dustin Weese from New Oxford save their spots on Baltimore Street on Wednesday night in preparation for tonight s 69th annual Hanover Halloween Parade.
Comments
1 - 20 of 88 Comments Last updated May 20, 2013
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
George

Philadelphia, PA

#1 Oct 29, 2009
whut the?
Oh Jesh

Middletown, PA

#2 Oct 29, 2009
"After 2:30 p.m., they began pushing the chairs off the edge of the sidewalk and up against the buildings."
So then people, around 5pm, can place other chairs in that location--don't you wonder if the new chairs will be vandalized? Stolen? or possibly a fight break out because someone thought the new chair people moved the other previous chairs back?? Why not just take ALL the chairs up till 4:45??

"Anyone whose chairs were confiscated by borough officials can pick them up at the mayor's office in the borough office, 44 Frederick St."
Is there going to be a fine to be paid??? I mean it did require more work for the township to go out and remove the chairs and it did require the township to store the chairs (removal to pick up time)--so I think many would feel a fine would be justified.
Oh Jesh

Middletown, PA

#3 Oct 29, 2009
"Hanover cracks down on parade chairs"
"In recent years, borough officials have been lax about the 5 p.m. rule."
"Things were different this year."
"We heard too many reports that we don't enforce (the 5 p.m. rule)," Brown said."

BUT......"After 2:30 p.m., they began pushing the chairs off the edge of the sidewalk and up against the buildings." This is not being lax? Reports of "we don't enforce the 5pm rule" UMMMM HELLO!!!
5pm is 5pm is 5pm--NOT 2:30pm

Ohhh boy this is just 2 funny :) Thanks for the laugh--I needed it :)
Jeebus

Lancaster, PA

#4 Oct 29, 2009
The whole thing is ridiculous.

How about just banning chairs?
moron patrol

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Oct 29, 2009
How about just stop having the stupid parade...way to many resources and time, not to mention the traffic and truckers that have to wait for hours.
tin lizzie

San Antonio, TX

#6 Oct 29, 2009
Jeebus wrote:
The whole thing is ridiculous.
How about just banning chairs?
i agree..... with the americans with diability law, how are they even allowed to block those handicapped ramps? and ropes???? which interfer with walkers, wheelchairs, and canes. also it makes the town look like a dump. should be on a first to arrive basis. tradition or not, this practice should be stopped.
i am surprised that the woman that harrasses gettysburg has not taken up her "cause" with hanover.
hate hangover pa

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Oct 29, 2009
only in hangover...hope it rains
Leaves for sale

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Oct 29, 2009
We need the borough workers to pick up the leaves all over town so the parade goers have a place to park!!!!
The chairs are a minor problem compared to a child falling during trick or treat on Tuesday or walk to the parade tonight!!!!!
There is way to many leaves laying around on our streets!!!
Please get to work!!!!!
really

Baltimore, MD

#9 Oct 29, 2009
Moron Patrol......how about keeping your negative energy within your own home and not bringing it around our streets? Truckers shouldn't be going through the square anyway, there are other ways through Hanover. This is a wonderful tradition, one of which should stay. Hanover is quickly becoming a place with no tradition thanks to complainers like you. It's just absurd to make a comment like that.
LOOK

King Of Prussia, PA

#10 Oct 29, 2009
wow! Hanover is full of tight asses. Hanover is full of leaves on the street? then go get a rake bi tch! all of this over chairs? this wouldnt even be a prob. if people would just keep thier mouth shut. its one freakin day a year. i think everyone can deal with the chairs for one day a year. dont you? i have come to the conclusion that there are a lot of people with no lives at all. i feel sorry for them. i really really do.
big babies

Middletown, PA

#11 Oct 29, 2009
if only people could follow directions there would be no issue ....... did we all not get taught as children how to follow directions ???? i am glad to see the enforcement this year with the chairs because all i can do is laugh when i see the idiots putting there chairs out in the a.m. of the day before . really people how hard is it ... 5pm the day before . not like your not gonna get a seat they have the whole entire street of baltimore and carlise st. to sit on , you dumbass' will find anything to bitch about.
benjamin

Hanover, PA

#12 Oct 29, 2009
really wrote:
Moron Patrol......how about keeping your negative energy within your own home and not bringing it around our streets? Truckers shouldn't be going through the square anyway, there are other ways through Hanover. This is a wonderful tradition, one of which should stay. Hanover is quickly becoming a place with no tradition thanks to complainers like you. It's just absurd to make a comment like that.
I would like to know what other routes are convient for truckers to take through Hanover. I've lived here my whole life and I don't know of any alternate route.
resident of hanover

Westminster, MD

#13 Oct 29, 2009
Why cant it just be a first come first serve situatiion> why allow anyone to "save" chairs??
dewsh

Harrisburg, PA

#14 Oct 29, 2009
The chair situaton should be stopped. This is not a tiny one horse town anymore. I can see a lawsuit when someone falls and gets hurt because of the ridiculous ropes, chains, and chairs. Maybe then they will stop this nonsense. Come join me in my raindance.
Come on

West Chester, PA

#15 Oct 29, 2009
The Hanover parade is the biggest piece of crap around. Whoever has to stake a claim on a spot needs a better life...
Facts

Baltimore, MD

#16 Oct 29, 2009
moron patrol wrote:
How about just stop having the stupid parade...way to many resources and time, not to mention the traffic and truckers that have to wait for hours.
By all means, let's just sit at home and look at the clock instead of having a fun evening. Throw away 67 years of tradition so truckers aren't inconvenienced one night out of the year. The kids will certainly understand.
Unreal

Carlisle, PA

#17 Oct 29, 2009
Who cares about the chairs? Our soldiers are home marching in the parade.
resident

Hanover, PA

#19 Oct 29, 2009
benjamin wrote:
<quoted text>I would like to know what other routes are convient for truckers to take through Hanover. I've lived here my whole life and I don't know of any alternate route.
Eisenhower Drive, to Fame Avnue, to Ridge Ave to Grandview Road and then cross over to Baltimore Street - Get mapquest or a GPS - its actually quicker then going through town with the lights
20hanoverian

Philadelphia, PA

#20 Oct 29, 2009
benjamin wrote:
<quoted text>I would like to know what other routes are convient for truckers to take through Hanover. I've lived here my whole life and I don't know of any alternate route.
It's called York Street!!
A Local

Philadelphia, PA

#21 Oct 29, 2009
They should cancel the chair rule, and decree that if you want to place chairs, you must stay with them until the parade starts, and no earlier than noon the day of the parade. Boom, problem solved!

As for the truckers, cmon.....that's ridiculous. The leaves? Exactly, get a rake.

Some of you people are total idiots. Common sense, folks!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) 7 hr Mr Johnson 3,933
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) 7 hr Yoda 51,313
PA Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in P... (Oct '10) 13 hr EDDIE SWINDELL 161
Snyder's Lance Sun Virtual_Flesh 3
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) Aug 28 Ssl 5,426
Review: Dean's Auto Plaza (Sep '13) Aug 15 Nicole 7
York City man charged with murdering baby Aug 9 Joe Biden 1
•••
•••
•••

Hanover Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••