Friendly's in North Hanover Mall part of chain's closings

Jan 9, 2012 Full story: Evening Sun 20

The Friendly's ice cream restaurant in the North Hanover Mall closed without prior notice to the public Monday as part of another round of store closings by the company.

Full Story

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#1 Jan 9, 2012
Why fight the freakin' Mall crowds just to get a hot fudge sundae...mall business space is expensive. They should just have a free standing building with ample parking.. Mall hours close by nine o'clock also...if my family has a craving for banana splits and burgers at 9:05P.M., then we'll go to a local restaurant. Who does the marketing for these places???
Pink Eye

Emmaus, PA

#2 Jan 12, 2012
Well here we go, the Gettysburg crowd is going to go off on another store closing. Chick, I agree with you, I think it was a poor business decision to have a resturant in a mall. All of the Friendly's in the Lehigh Valley are free standing or, if in the mall, have their own entrance.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#3 Jan 12, 2012
Pink Eye wrote:
Well here we go, the Gettysburg crowd is going to go off on another store closing. Chick, I agree with you, I think it was a poor business decision to have a resturant in a mall. All of the Friendly's in the Lehigh Valley are free standing or, if in the mall, have their own entrance.
ya know, personally with all the local stores in Gettysburg, this includes ice cream parlors...Why does anyone eat at chain restaurants? For the price of a fast food meal (excludes the dollar menu), you can get a decent burger and fries at your local tavern and listen to tunes..while waiting for it. Why really go anywhere else..there's something cool about shopping and dining downtown, it's a sense of friendship and belonging.
Pink Eye

Emmaus, PA

#4 Jan 12, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>ya know, personally with all the local stores in Gettysburg, this includes ice cream parlors...Why does anyone eat at chain restaurants? For the price of a fast food meal (excludes the dollar menu), you can get a decent burger and fries at your local tavern and listen to tunes..while waiting for it. Why really go anywhere else..there's something cool about shopping and dining downtown, it's a sense of friendship and belonging.
Chick I agree with you. I love shopping downtown Bethlehem, New Hope, Jim Thorpe etc. They all have that atmosphere that isn't in a mall. To shop in a small store offers more personal service, if ya just can't figure out what the perfect item is. For me I like unique, I'm far from being someone who sees the world in tan and white. I enjoy hunting little shoppes for one of a kind items. Which is why I enjoy Christkindlemart, one of a kind items never seen anywhere else. Although, I've found that unique equals more expensive, its worth a couple extra dollars.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#5 Jan 12, 2012
Pink Eye wrote:
<quoted text>Chick I agree with you. I love shopping downtown Bethlehem, New Hope, Jim Thorpe etc. They all have that atmosphere that isn't in a mall. To shop in a small store offers more personal service, if ya just can't figure out what the perfect item is. For me I like unique, I'm far from being someone who sees the world in tan and white. I enjoy hunting little shoppes for one of a kind items. Which is why I enjoy Christkindlemart, one of a kind items never seen anywhere else. Although, I've found that unique equals more expensive, its worth a couple extra dollars.
It's all about shopping local and saying WOW! Every town has it's niche' of treasures..i like the thought of the salesclerks taking those extra special minutes to tie the price tag on an object. Not just slapped on there with a pricing gun. You get what ya paid for as with everything, same as going to the grocer's...let me tell ya I love applebutter..my fav is Musselman's, it's the best! I bought a storebrand the other day, GROSS..all about quality not quantity...ROCK ON!
Sugar Lanskee

Whitehall, PA

#6 Jan 13, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>ya know, personally with all the local stores in Gettysburg, this includes ice cream parlors...Why does anyone eat at chain restaurants? For the price of a fast food meal (excludes the dollar menu), you can get a decent burger and fries at your local tavern and listen to tunes..while waiting for it. Why really go anywhere else..there's something cool about shopping and dining downtown, it's a sense of friendship and belonging.
The new-American way is to build a new strip mall a mile away which will include a new Friendly's. New. New. New. Build. Build. Build.

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#7 Jan 13, 2012
Sugar Lanskee wrote:
<quoted text>
The new-American way is to build a new strip mall a mile away which will include a new Friendly's. New. New. New. Build. Build. Build.
Don't hold your breath waiting for a Friendly's there.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#8 Jan 14, 2012
JustMyHonestOpinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't hold your breath waiting for a Friendly's there.
Hey there , JustMyHonestOpinion, how the heck are ya? it seems tho that is the plan, that some chain businesses have...it's like Starbucks Coffee Shops, they place one mini one in a grocery store and place a large store a block away,,with a drive-up..sometimes,I wonder why they use these tactics...than again, they are only trying to make a buck or two..

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#9 Jan 14, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>Hey there , JustMyHonestOpinion, how the heck are ya? it seems tho that is the plan, that some chain businesses have...it's like Starbucks Coffee Shops, they place one mini one in a grocery store and place a large store a block away,,with a drive-up..sometimes,I wonder why they use these tactics...than again, they are only trying to make a buck or two..
Hi "Chick", I'm hanging in there! What other way is there to do it?
Anyway, I somewhat doubt that this is Friendly's plan. I believe that they filed for bankruptcy before starting a string of store closings. Hanover has closed and I believe Gettysburg and York are, or will be, closing. It's unfortunate in the Hanover case because it is the only place in this mall where you could get a full course meal. The other eating places are only snacks, pizza's, sandwiches and things of that sort.

Since: Apr 11

Location hidden

#10 Jan 14, 2012
JustMyHonestOpinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi "Chick", I'm hanging in there! What other way is there to do it?
Anyway, I somewhat doubt that this is Friendly's plan. I believe that they filed for bankruptcy before starting a string of store closings. Hanover has closed and I believe Gettysburg and York are, or will be, closing. It's unfortunate in the Hanover case because it is the only place in this mall where you could get a full course meal. The other eating places are only snacks, pizza's, sandwiches and things of that sort.
Filed Chap 11 in Oct and are closing 63 stores.

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#11 Jan 14, 2012
Paladinhgwt wrote:
<quoted text>
Filed Chap 11 in Oct and are closing 63 stores.
I was aware of that and I'm not sure exactly what their plans are for the future. It's possible that the 63 stores are just the first round and more stores are to follow, possibly closing the whole company.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#12 Jan 14, 2012
JustMyHonestOpinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi "Chick", I'm hanging in there! What other way is there to do it?
Anyway, I somewhat doubt that this is Friendly's plan. I believe that they filed for bankruptcy before starting a string of store closings. Hanover has closed and I believe Gettysburg and York are, or will be, closing. It's unfortunate in the Hanover case because it is the only place in this mall where you could get a full course meal. The other eating places are only snacks, pizza's, sandwiches and things of that sort.
Yes, but it is not uncommon now for full-size restaurants to close their doors. Life today is fast food, deli grocer food and "buy one, get one free lunch or dinner coupon offer. It's hard for a restaurant to compete with the dollar menu, coupon offers that don't even break even and the time factor,as far as picking up a quick meal on your way home from work at the deli. Sometimes, if you got a great business, stay small..once you keep adding more stores or moving into a larger building, that's when the costs start to rise. I remember Howard Johnson's on te East coast(they had the best banana ice cream-the best, without artificial coloring or flavor)..are they even in business? Just stay simple and in one area...you will have more than your shareful of business..glad you are hanging in there JustMyHonestOpinion...take care of yourself..
Deja vu

Gettysburg, PA

#13 Jan 15, 2012
According to the news I saw, the Gettysburg location wasnít mentioned. I know that doesnít mean anything. And even this time of year you can usually find vehicles in the parking lot, so business I donít think is that bad. I know that doesnít play into the corporate decisions.

Since: Jan 09

Hanover

#14 Jan 15, 2012
Deja vu wrote:
According to the news I saw, the Gettysburg location wasnít mentioned. I know that doesnít mean anything. And even this time of year you can usually find vehicles in the parking lot, so business I donít think is that bad. I know that doesnít play into the corporate decisions.
Bottom line is that they're broke, filed for bankruptcy, and have to close locations. Sometimes, the amount of business at a location doesn't even seem to enter into the picture, it's almost like pulling names out of a hat because they have to downsize immediately.
I don't recall where I saw it but a news article somewhere mentioned Gettysburg - not sure exactly what was said.

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#15 Jan 15, 2012
JustMyHonestOpinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Bottom line is that they're broke, filed for bankruptcy, and have to close locations. Sometimes, the amount of business at a location doesn't even seem to enter into the picture, it's almost like pulling names out of a hat because they have to downsize immediately.
I don't recall where I saw it but a news article somewhere mentioned Gettysburg - not sure exactly what was said.
In the Game of Life...you win some and lose some...what more can we say?
Deja vu

Gettysburg, PA

#16 Jan 16, 2012
JustMyHonestOpinion wrote:
<quoted text>
Bottom line is that they're broke, filed for bankruptcy, and have to close locations. Sometimes, the amount of business at a location doesn't even seem to enter into the picture, it's almost like pulling names out of a hat because they have to downsize immediately.
I don't recall where I saw it but a news article somewhere mentioned Gettysburg - not sure exactly what was said.
Agreed JMHO, How many years ago did the employees of Elbyís come to work and find the doors locked and the place closed. The Elbyís in Gettysburg always has business and the lot was almost always full.
Tim W

Woodbridge, VA

#17 Apr 4, 2012
I wish the Friendleys would of stayed in Hanover Mall. Also, they need to open in more malls!!!!"

“ROCK ON ROCKERS!!”

Since: Mar 11

Rockin' USA ;)

#18 Apr 4, 2012
Tim W wrote:
I wish the Friendleys would of stayed in Hanover Mall. Also, they need to open in more malls!!!!"
Tim Dude, ain't gonna happen..I think they would have had better luck being a self-contained structured building outside of the mall. Honestly, if I want to dine out..NOT going to be a restaurant in the mall, where I have to make my way through teens and screaming babies...Nah, I want a nice dining experience of leisure. ROCK ON!
Tim W

Woodbridge, VA

#19 Apr 5, 2012
Colorado Chick wrote:
<quoted text>Tim Dude, ain't gonna happen..I think they would have had better luck being a self-contained structured building outside of the mall. Honestly, if I want to dine out..NOT going to be a restaurant in the mall, where I have to make my way through teens and screaming babies...Nah, I want a nice dining experience of leisure. ROCK ON!
Whatever,, I like the malls and want nice restaurants in the mall.
Pink Eye

Emmaus, PA

#20 Apr 7, 2012
Tim W wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever,, I like the malls and want nice restaurants in the mall.
Malls are generally over run with teenagers with nothing to do. At least with a stand alone resturant you're aren't tripping over a bunch of teenagers while attempting to get in the front door.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hanover Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Snyder's of Hanover (Aug '09) 18 hr in ky 5,570
pump it powder (Jan '12) Dec 15 askmetray28 39
Two charged in heroin arrest Dec 13 lady 1
power outage littlestown pa Nov 22 Pink Eye 6
Man hits boy, 4, in head with beer bottle at Ad... Nov '14 Pink Eye 7
13 charged in Littlestown drug bust (Jun '09) Nov '14 Just a thought 222
Police seize more than $250,000 in methamphetam... Nov '14 Just a thought 11
Hanover Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Hanover People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Hanover News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Hanover

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:07 am PST

Bleacher Report11:07AM
Baltimore Ravens Reportedly Using Practice Squad Player to Mimic J.J. Watt
NBC Sports 3:03 PM
Eagles expect the old RG3 - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 4:54 PM
What Experts Are Saying About Washington
Bleacher Report 6:36 PM
Ravens vs. Texans: Complete Week 16 Preview for Baltimore
Bleacher Report 6:38 PM
Eagles vs. Redskins: Complete Week 16 Preview for Philadelphia