Catfish Charlie going strong after 27 years

Dec 24, 2007 | Posted by: The South Mississippi Sun Herald | Full story: The South Mississippi Sun Herald

“We're already teaching the grandchildren to sweep the floor”

kbergeron@sunherald.com

Catfish Charlie offers a genuine taste of Mississippi with all-you-care-to-eat fried catfish, Gulf shrimp or chicken. Baked sweet potatoes, country fried dill pickles, turnip greens, homemade desserts and friendly service complete the Mississippi picture.

Outside is a requisite catfish pond, though you won't eat the fish from it, and inside there's rustic wood tables, floors and ceilings and loads of vintage curios.

'Wanted: Catfish Charlie. Notorious for serving the world's best catfish,' declare signs and promotions for the 169-seat restaurant that used to be in the country but now sits amid bustling northward expansion. Read more

Comments
1 - 20 of 42 Comments Last updated Apr 2, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Marian T

Longwood, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

It's my favorite. Wont go to the coast without going. The service is top rate. Highly recommend.
Amazed

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

Fried Pickles!!!!!!!!!!

“Ave Satanas”

Since: Dec 06

Bratislava, Slovakia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 17, 2008

Stuffed goat kidney with rice an hominy.

~sooo good make ya wanna smack yo momma~
Jackie Slaughter McMahon

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

The fried pickles are very good. Everything about the place is wonderful.
Jackie Slaughter McMahon

Gainesville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2008

Everything about the place is wonderful. The pickles are my favorite.
Gouda Cheese

Long Beach, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2008

mmmmmmm...fried everything....

When I ate there, I walked out with angina and grease seeping from my pores. Disgusting.
Tom

Denton, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2008

Catfish, Chicken, Shrimp, Sweet Potatoes, Fried Okra, Cole Slaw, Homemade Biscuits...it was all DELICIOUS!! Yummy. I plan to return often.
Bear

Show Low, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2008

Normally I consider this to be one of the dining treats on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I have been proud to bring friends there for the food and experience and my wife and I enjoy dining there often. But finally, we received a bad meal...kitchen problems led to service problems, barely warm instead of piping hot fish was served and it took several minutes and a chat with one of the owners to get some fresh hot fish delivered. Needless to say, our dining experience was not what we had hoped for. But the worst was the reaction of the owners...their only concern was that we did 'eventually' get the food and that we ate enough. The fact that the 'not-hot" food put a 'chill' on our dining enjoyment didn't concern them. I'd expected some consideration upon paying the bill, but none was given. We were offered additional fish to take home, but having begun the meal with 'not-hot' food, we didn't want to take more home and heat it up later. The owners seem not to realize that they aren't just providing food to eat, but an opportunity to enjoy a meal and dining experience. And in my opinion, when they fail to provide a satisfactory product, they don't deserve full payment. I understand the normal problems that occur in the restaurant business, having been in it myself in the past, but I also understand the basics of customer service, which these owners seem not to get.
happygirl98

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2011

Awesome. Does anybody know how I can get I. Touch with Charlie sinopoli. He is my exboyfriend and I have alway thought about him wondering how his life turned out
Allison

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2011

Oh no wrong one,
Lisa Marie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2011

happygirl98 wrote:
Awesome. Does anybody know how I can get I. Touch with Charlie sinopoli. He is my exboyfriend and I have alway thought about him wondering how his life turned out
b

What r u looking for a number or email. I might be able to help u ok
Allison

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2011

happygirl98 wrote:
What type information do you wish to obtain. I think I can help you just let me know if you were hoping for address or a email address or a phone number.

Thanks and good luck
sam

Moss Point, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2011

Good Food Yes:
Allison

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 23, 2011

I think he is married with 2 little boys
Breanne

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

Allison wrote:
I think he is married with 2 little boys

Thank you but I still cant contact him
Breanne

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2011

Great thank you . I live in Alabama, so thank you
Amber

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

happygirl98 wrote:
No he has moved @I think married a girl from miss.
happygirl98

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 12, 2011

Thanks for info but i dont need info on him anymore. My husband doesnt want me to contact him and from what i have heard hes doing just fine. Thanks for everyones help. Good Luck and best wishes to him and his family.I AM A HAPPY GIRL AND HAVE HAPPY LIFE.
melissa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2012

happygirl98 wrote:
Thanks for info but i dont need info on him anymore. My husband doesnt want me to contact him and from what i have heard hes doing just fine. Thanks for everyones help. Good Luck and best wishes to him and his family.I AM A HAPPY GIRL AND HAVE HAPPY LIFE.
Yes he's fine and doing ok. He's a good person and I'm sure he is a wonderful family man
melissa

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2012

Judged:

melissa wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes he's fine and doing ok. He's a good person and I'm sure he is a wonderful family man
He's so fine I wish he were my man. I have been obsessed with him 14 yrs now. He doesn't know. He's all I want. Please leave my chances alone. I beg u. This is love of my life. Ill get him and make him so happy. I love u charlie. I know u remember me.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gulf Hills Discussions

Search the Gulf Hills Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Amber Campton (Feb '13) 3 hr You wish 13
Harrison County Tax Sale 7 hr watchful eye 4
MS Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) 10 hr Laws 1,970
Smaller Walmarts popping up on coast 12 hr gulf 1
Singing River Health System closing 2 more clinics 12 hr gulf 1
MNL Truck Sales (Aug '11) Mon Wondering 31
stolen Jul 28 gulf 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Gulf Hills Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••