"The blackest land and the whitest people"

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: The Big Apple 76

Entry in progress. Penniless lexicographer taking a break. - B.P. Wikipedia: Hunt County, Texas Hunt County is a county located in the U.S. state of Texas. via The Big Apple

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
deport mexicans

Fort Worth, TX

#1 Mar 3, 2008
Deport mexico! If you miss the feeling of country and cameraderie that used to swell in texas, visit stormfront.org 's Texas thread.
Local dude

Cedar Hill, TX

#2 Mar 4, 2008
Which has what to do with the freakin' sign?
Sadie

United States

#3 Mar 4, 2008
That sign wasn't meant to be taken the way it was and was removed.
It was over old 67 as you went into town. Those thoughts were not the same as twisted today.
There were no Mexican bole pullers. Just whites and and coloreds and we were all working with each other to get the crop in. no hatefulness.
Just kids playing at dinner even though we worked like adults and were paid for what we did. When we worked separated and put with our parents. Nothing to do with race just parental control to make sure we worked.
those were good days.
Local dude

Irving, TX

#4 Mar 4, 2008
Agreed. I live in Greenville and we are all sick to death of hearing about how the sign and the phrase were "racist". Granted, it could be interpreted that way today, but it was taken down for good about 40 years ago! And besides, they still call the soil around here "The Blackland Prairie" because ... its really dark!
Nova

Quinlan, TX

#5 Apr 26, 2008
Thanks for explaining about the sign.I have heard about it for years and it really concerned me greatly.

(Acts 17:26)- 26 And hath made of (one blood) all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth,
old times

Paris, TX

#6 Apr 29, 2008
Let me tell you what my grandfather told me about the sign 60 years ago.
Politicians used to travel by train when campaining in different towns.They would announce days and times they would arrive in each town.
Greenville was scheduled for a famous (at that time) politician.
The old town square was full waiting for him to arrive, but the train was delayed. when he finally arrived hours late, the crowd was still there waiting to hear him. In those days when someone said that is sure "white" of you it meant polite, or good. The politician said after seeing the crowd still waiting for him "Greenville may have the blackest land, but they have the "whitest" people.
IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE.
Local dude

Irving, TX

#7 Apr 29, 2008
Everyone realizes this, except of course the Dallas County District Attorney.
;)
Nova

Quinlan, TX

#8 Apr 29, 2008
old times wrote:
Let me tell you what my grandfather told me about the sign 60 years ago.
Politicians used to travel by train when campaining in different towns.They would announce days and times they would arrive in each town.
Greenville was scheduled for a famous (at that time) politician.
The old town square was full waiting for him to arrive, but the train was delayed. when he finally arrived hours late, the crowd was still there waiting to hear him. In those days when someone said that is sure "white" of you it meant polite, or good. The politician said after seeing the crowd still waiting for him "Greenville may have the blackest land, but they have the "whitest" people.
IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH RACE.
Thanks, I have heard this phrase used before "Mighty white of you, Boy".

Once I heard a preacher say it. But if you think about it,it is saying the whites are good and the blacks are bad. That is what it is implying.

I have no doubt about it,if a black man heard someone say that to another white man,he would think it was a racist statememnt.

(Isa.2:1-5) teaches us that all nations (Jew and Genttile) are to enter the church of our Lord.

(Eph.2:13-18) also teaches the very same thing,Both Jew and Gentile are reconciled unto God in one body by the cross,

All men are equal at the foot of the cross. Since all have sinned (Rom.3:23 ; 6:23).

http://missionprinting.us/mp_newindex.html

Click on publications

I highly recommend the booklet entitled -

"A Reply To A Denominational Preacher"

Local dude

Dallas, TX

#9 Apr 29, 2008
Again, given the connotations today, yes it would be an implicitly racist statement. That is why the sign was REMOVED 40 years ago. And yet Greenville is still paying for it, as someone finds a copy of a photo or (In the DA's case, a former county letterhead) and tries to make some deal out of it. Back when the sign was first raised over Greenville, yes the city was indeed a segregated and racist town. But, I guarantee you that just about every small town (and most big cities) in the south 50 or 70 years ago was racist and probably most had a sign or a plaque or a billboard over one of their streets which contained a racist slogan. You don't see any other community so held to a standard which existed back in the 1940s to 1960s as is Greenville, based on a sign which doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for decades.
I can't remember Dallas or Washington or any other city being so criticized for the "whites only" signs which used to hang over restroom doors or lunch counters, but everyone seems to think it is fair game to jump on Greenville.
There are those who still believe Greenville has a racial problem and it does to some extent, no argument. But to claim that it or any city in the United States is anywhere near the same city as it was 40 some odd years ago is just plain unfair and biased.
Nova

Quinlan, TX

#10 May 2, 2008
Local dude wrote:
Again, given the connotations today, yes it would be an implicitly racist statement. That is why the sign was REMOVED 40 years ago. And yet Greenville is still paying for it, as someone finds a copy of a photo or (In the DA's case, a former county letterhead) and tries to make some deal out of it. Back when the sign was first raised over Greenville, yes the city was indeed a segregated and racist town. But, I guarantee you that just about every small town (and most big cities) in the south 50 or 70 years ago was racist and probably most had a sign or a plaque or a billboard over one of their streets which contained a racist slogan. You don't see any other community so held to a standard which existed back in the 1940s to 1960s as is Greenville, based on a sign which doesn't exist anymore and hasn't for decades.
I can't remember Dallas or Washington or any other city being so criticized for the "whites only" signs which used to hang over restroom doors or lunch counters, but everyone seems to think it is fair game to jump on Greenville.
There are those who still believe Greenville has a racial problem and it does to some extent, no argument. But to claim that it or any city in the United States is anywhere near the same city as it was 40 some odd years ago is just plain unfair and biased.
I agree with you. Racism still exist in every city today. We need to show love to all people regardless of skin color or financial status.

I am a member of the Lords church. All men are equal at the foot of the cross. We all have done wrong in the sight of God. There is no reason for any man to be arrogant.

Click on publications

I highly recommend the booklet entitled -

KUJ

Plano, TX

#11 May 7, 2008
My best friend when I was in elementary school was a black kid named Ronald Clark. We walked to school together every day.

Racism is something perpetuated by people of any race who refuse to see the good in others regardless of race.

I am white and people whom I've had major differences with on the job or in my religion
were white themselves.

Good and righteousness sees no skin color.
KUJ

Plano, TX

#12 May 7, 2008
I am taken aback year after year at the attitudes of those involved in a racial agenda. The past is the past and the ignorant are the ignorant. Should we perpetuate the Nazi ideology?

Those who do will realize their demise at least in terms their beliefs and motives.
Kay

Richardson, TX

#13 May 8, 2008
I was raised in PA, moved here to attend UTA, my husband, has lived in Garland most of life, told me about that sign years ago. I honestly thought he was making it up. Couldn't believe it was true. Wait till I show him this article, can't wait to hear the "I told you so's"
Local dude

Grand Prairie, TX

#14 May 8, 2008
People, please, for the last time (probably_
THE SIGN ISN'T THERE! IT HASN'T BEEN THERE FOR DECADES! GET OFF OUR BACKS ABOUT IT!
Rsty

Houston, TX

#15 Jun 9, 2008
"Thanks, I have heard this phrase used before "Mighty white of you, Boy". Once I heard a preacher say it. But if you think about it,it is saying the whites are good and the blacks are bad. That is what it is implying. I have no doubt about it,if a black man heard someone say that to another white man,he would think it was a racist statememnt."

So what? It's a joke, get over it!

"(Isa.2:1-5) teaches us that all nations (Jew and Genttile) are to enter the church of our Lord.

(Eph.2:13-18) also teaches the very same thing,Both Jew and Gentile are reconciled unto God in one body by the cross, "

Yes, but it doesn't say that everyone should all mix together does it? The nations, plural, will stand before God, the nation, singular. Multiculti is communism, it ain't Christianity.
Local Dude

Irving, TX

#16 Jun 9, 2008
Again, yes, in today's enlightened society, the term "Blackest Land, Whitest People" can certainly be considered racist in nature. There is no argument there.
My point was that, when concerns over the potential offensive nature of the sign were raised more than 40 YEARS AGO, it was taken down. Attempts to raise the sign again also met with failure, because the local populace did not want to be viewed that way any more and still don't.
And yet, time and time again, people still link Greenville, Texas to that sign, such as the Dallas County District Attorney who, earlier this year, when talking about the Kennedy assassination, of all things, during a nationally televised press conference, pulls out a 45-year-old piece of stationary which has a picture of a sign on it, just to demonstrate how he believed how racist Greenville was 45 years ago. It had nothing to do with the assassination or anything else for which the conference was called, he just wanted to show it, apparently, to take another dig at Greenville and the freakin' sign, WHICH NO LONGER EXISTS.

Since: Apr 08

Republic of Texas

#17 Jun 9, 2008
Lord love a duck!!! Who brought that up? That phrase is so old and so gone and so misunderstood... Someone needs to get a life.
Nova

United States

#18 Jul 9, 2008
Rsty wrote:
"Thanks, I have heard this phrase used before "Mighty white of you, Boy". Once I heard a preacher say it. But if you think about it,it is saying the whites are good and the blacks are bad. That is what it is implying. I have no doubt about it,if a black man heard someone say that to another white man,he would think it was a racist statememnt."
So what? It's a joke, get over it!
"(Isa.2:1-5) teaches us that all nations (Jew and Genttile) are to enter the church of our Lord.
(Eph.2:13-18) also teaches the very same thing,Both Jew and Gentile are reconciled unto God in one body by the cross, "
Yes, but it doesn't say that everyone should all mix together does it? The nations, plural, will stand before God, the nation, singular. Multiculti is communism, it ain't Christianity.

The truth of the matter is that some have mixed with other races.

We are all of one blood (Acts 17:26).

26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth,...

Click on Publications

I recommend the booklet entitled -

Pollynkorrect

Houston, TX

#19 Jul 12, 2008
I'm always amazed when people say they are "shocked" to hear whites openly express racism. Are they shocked that despite massive government intimidation that some whites persist in being unashamed to express their their pro-white attitudes. Get real -- the so-called Civil Rights Revolution was really the overthrow of Consitutional Law & majority rule. This was effected by Jewish brains (the ones GI Joe rescued from Hitler) and Black brawn. The vast majority of ALL whites would still choose to live segregated lives -- IF WE WERE FREE TO DO SO. As it is now, whites are too fearful to openly express their racist preferences -- unlike non-whites who can freely express their racial preferences without fear of government-induced social and legal ramifications. There is nothing inherently morally wrong with individuals preferring individuals of their own kind -- despite the what America's Unitarian Civil State Religion high priests would have us believe. After all, the government protects the rights of homosexuals to prefer their own sex, and gives tax-exempt status to racially-exclusive advocacy groups like the NAACP and LaRaza. The only wrong here is that non-Hispanic Whites are denied the same equal protection that all other Americans enjoy.
Pollynkorrect

Houston, TX

#20 Jul 12, 2008
REVISED: I'm always amazed when people say they are "shocked" to hear Whites openly express racism. Are they shocked that a half-century of massive government intimidation still hasn't squelched the wholesome love that some Whites persist in showing to their own kind? Are they also shocked that Russians still wanted freedom after nearly a century of Communist military rule & indoctrination? WAKE UP: The so-called Civil Rights Revolution was really the overthrow of Consitutional Law & majority rule. This was effected by Black brawn led by Jewish brains (the ones GI Joe rescued from Hitler). The vast majority of ALL Whites would still choose to live largely segregated lives -- IF WE WERE FREE TO DO SO. As it is now, most Whites are too afraid to openly express their racial preferences -- unlike non-Whites who can do so freely without fear of legal or social ramifications. There is nothing wrong with individuals preferring their own kind -- contrary to what America's Unitarian Civil State Religion high priests would have us believe. After all, the government itself protects the rights of homosexuals to prefer their own sex, and gives tax-exempt status to racially-exclusive advocacy groups like the NAACP and LaRaza. The only wrong here is that non-Hispanic Whites are denied the same equal protection that all other Americans enjoy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 7 hr tkm 696
Neiborhood Walmart 2016 22 hr ddd 2
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) 22 hr Gasman 543
Debate On Instruments In New Testament Worship (Apr '12) Oct 21 Carol 8
Urban Master Plumbing (Royce City) Doug Folks' ... (Nov '13) Oct 16 jeff manning plum... 2
Review: Royal Inn Oct 13 Joseph 1
Hey SITA PARIYAR from NEPAL in Greenville! Oct 10 Pariyar Scum 4

Greenville News Video

Greenville Dating
Find my Match

Greenville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Greenville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Greenville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]