AZIPG

Tempe, AZ

#53 Nov 26, 2011
NCMG wrote:
I guess all that is needed to be a school trained cat groomer and to become a CFMG "Certified feline master groomer" is 60 hours of training and some tests.
I need to stop laughing,....... but this is just too funny!
http://nationalcatgroomers.com/
LOL I'll bet the schools grads just rave about how wonderfull the school is and how much they love the school instrutor.
Toptail

Margate City, NJ

#54 Jan 14, 2012
I wanted to learn to be a pet groomer and also found the school didn't teach me much but the basics. I paid about $4600 for a deploma of 150 hands on which I now found out isn't much. Nobody wants to hire without experiance. I was also kinda rushed according to people wanting their pets done although they knew we were supposed to have all day because they got a discount and we got to practice. I did learn enough to start but its not near enough to work, or call myself a groomer. I think maybe a course like the one in Florida that offer's 600 hours may be worth going to but I agree with all the writers. There places are not worth the money. And the Dog and cat grooming association and their certificates are a joke. They only want money. Only thing that makes you good is hard work an practice. Really sad I thought this would be worth getting into but now I see its all about a bunch of companies that just want free money for people who know no better.
NJ Grooming schools are a joke.
sag3323

Pawleys Island, SC

#55 Feb 27, 2012
what happened to the "guilds"? Why do dog/cat groomers have to have the blessings of a state licensing board? Why not have apprenticeships? with people in the business? I want to do this in my retirement years yet I cannot afford to pay out this amount. Any suggestions from anyone?
Rippedoffstudent

Secaucus, NJ

#56 Mar 3, 2012
Nashgrad wrote:
NCMG
..........A minimum standard for the number of hours needed for proper training pet groomers needs to be established. The pet grooming industry does not seem to want to do it. So maybe it is going to take the States education department to decide what these schools minimum training hours need to be? This can only happen when states require pet groomers to be trained & licensed?
As it stands now very few that take up pet grooming choose to be school trained at all. Those that do do the school thing, as the two week example shows can choose the salon-schools with the shortest number of training hours.
Not only are pet owners being ripped oof but those interested in entering this field will find the schools and association to be a ripped off in the absence of State licensing.
RetiredGroomer

Scranton, PA

#57 Mar 13, 2012
sag3323 wrote:
..........I want to do this in my retirement years yet I cannot afford to pay out this amount. Any suggestions from anyone?
You obviously don't know anything about the physical challenges or the health hazards inherent in the business of pet grooming.
Not knowing what your retirement age will be or what your physical health conditions maybe at retiremen, I suggest you think about becoming a greeter at Wall-Mart or something less physically taxing and health risky.
Hagar

Westtown, NY

#58 Apr 2, 2012
How about Temple Grandin, who has high-functioning autism! She wrote a book about animal behavior, "Animals in Translation", and is best known for designing humane livestock facilities. Next time you misconceive the notion that "tards" lack the intelligence needed to work with animals, realize you're making a sweeping generalization of maybe one person you encountered. Many "tards", as you put it,actually are gifted with a unique type of non-verbal intelligence in their ability to connect with non-human species, in a way that neuro-typical people cannot. We all have weaknesses and strengths. Next time you casually use the word "tards", think about how ineffectual your comment becomes.
autism_vs_retard ation

United States

#59 Apr 20, 2012
Hagar - not calling you a "tard" but you need to learn the difference between autism and retardation disorders before you make such comments.
I have had several "mildly" autistic employees work for me as bathers supervised of course and they did ok.
But I would never allow a tard to work with clients pets simply due to the fact that the mentally retarded are at very high risk of being bit. hummm maybe that is why so many groomers are getting bit nowdays? I would not feel comfortable and I could never feel comfortable trusting a customers pets grooming or even the pet needed care during the bath to a "tard".
http://versprill.com/353/whats-the-difference...
FruitsandVegetab les

Carrollton, TX

#60 Apr 20, 2012
Yea Hager we are not talking about apples and organges here at all. We are talking about fruits and vegetables. ROFLOL

Seriously.... to many pets are being injured if not killed because schools are pretending to educate mentally retarded people to groom pets just to get $$$$= state educational funds.

It's an insult to every truely educated pet groomer out here when these schools and associations certify such people.
These short school courses and week end association certification programs that make "tards" professionals insults the whole pet grooming industry.
TARDS

Atlanta, GA

#61 May 15, 2012
Sarah

Bristow, VA

#62 May 17, 2012
My SIL is a master groomer, she's been doing it 13yrs and has a lot of back issue and carpal tunnel. Its a very labor intensive job. While the pay was good in her 20s when she was single its not so great now that she has a daughter.
Joyce

Whitestone, NY

#63 Jun 12, 2012
American Academy of Pet Grooming
202 East 25th Street, New York, NY 10010
Joyce Schmitt reviewed recently
Quality 0 / 3
This is the most inhumane, disgraceful excuse for a dog grooming school. The instructor is completely incompetent, and oblivious to the students and the welfare of the dogs that are being groomed. I signed up for the course and spent one morning there and walked out after three hours. All I heard for three hours was dogs yelping in pain. One of the students was screaming at the dog she was grooming, telling it to "Shut UP" and pushing it around. Then, to my horror, I witnessed the instructor walk up to a 2 month old puppy who was being groomed who was a little fussy and picked her up, shook her little body and screamed in her face. He also started joking about how 3 dogs were taken to the veterinarian the week before due to injuries. Perhaps if he would were a competent instructor, none of the animals would be subjected to injuries. After 3 hours, the dogs are placed in filthy cages with no water or given the opportunity to relieve themselves. They spend up to six hours in this horrible place. Do not ever bring your dog there to be groomed. They can best believe I will be posting this information all over the internet to warn as many people as possible. Go to a reputable groomer and do not subject your beloved pets to this place. It is horrible.
Joyce

Whitestone, NY

#64 Jun 12, 2012
Quality 0 / 3
This is the most inhumane, disgraceful excuse for a dog grooming school. The instructor is completely incompetent, and oblivious to the students and the welfare of the dogs that are being groomed. I signed up for the course and spent one morning there and walked out after three hours. All I heard for three hours was dogs yelping in pain. One of the students was screaming at the dog she was grooming, telling it to "Shut UP" and pushing it around. Then, to my horror, I witnessed the instructor walk up to a 2 month old puppy who was being groomed who was a little fussy and picked her up, shook her little body and screamed in her face. He also started joking about how 3 dogs were taken to the veterinarian the week before due to injuries. Perhaps if he would were a competent instructor, none of the animals would be subjected to injuries. After 3 hours, the dogs are placed in filthy cages with no water or given the opportunity to relieve themselves. They spend up to six hours in this horrible place. Do not ever bring your dog there to be groomed. They can best believe I will be posting this information all over the internet to warn as many people as possible. Go to a reputable groomer and do not subject your beloved pets to this hellhole.
pinky

Versailles, KY

#65 Jul 2, 2012
well you must be the "tard" for getting on topix talking bad about people. I would imagine you are a subpar groomer yourself
EducationSystemSucks wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why these pet grooming school courses are kept so short. Where else can a "tard" be certified but through a pet grooming school or pet grooming association.
Oh wait, I had a "tard" apply for a grooming job that had a IQ of only 70 (seventy) that was certified by a College as a Certified Vet-Assistance.
LOL

Scranton, PA

#66 Jul 2, 2012
I have to LOL(laugh out loud)at the comment made to EducationSystemSucks by Pinky! Pinky choose to comment on a reference to the word "Tard" yet ignored Joyces comments about a bad school. Exactly what thos topic is all about!!!
Pet GroomerADDOCD

Tempe, AZ

#67 Jul 3, 2012
For many Pet Groomer todays qualifications is a balancing act between ADD & OCD.
ADD = Attention Deficient Disorder
OCD = Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Ouch

Scranton, PA

#68 Oct 6, 2012
Ouch!
Joyce wrote:
Quality 0 / 3
This is the most inhumane, disgraceful excuse for a dog grooming school. The instructor is completely incompetent, and oblivious to the students and the welfare of the dogs that are being groomed. I signed up for the course and spent one morning there and walked out after three hours. All I heard for three hours was dogs yelping in pain. One of the students was screaming at the dog she was grooming, telling it to "Shut UP" and pushing it around. Then, to my horror, I witnessed the instructor walk up to a 2 month old puppy who was being groomed who was a little fussy and picked her up, shook her little body and screamed in her face. He also started joking about how 3 dogs were taken to the veterinarian the week before due to injuries. Perhaps if he would were a competent instructor, none of the animals would be subjected to injuries. After 3 hours, the dogs are placed in filthy cages with no water or given the opportunity to relieve themselves. They spend up to six hours in this horrible place. Do not ever bring your dog there to be groomed. They can best believe I will be posting this information all over the internet to warn as many people as possible. Go to a reputable groomer and do not subject your beloved pets to this hellhole.
Declineof America

Scranton, PA

#69 Dec 24, 2012
150 - 250 hours and you can have a certificate stating you completed the schools basic or professional pet groom course.

These hours are for a pet grooming course. The sad thing is there are courses out there that have even fewer hours needed to qualify a person to care for children.
Cat and Dog Groomer

Kingston, PA

#70 Jan 27, 2013
Boy you guys are so judgmental. People who got Certified yr ago are still grooming under the old ways and the groomers that go to schools that are more respected in the industry depends on the individuals choice but I will give you an example that the worst online course I have seen is Penn Foster Dog grooming CHEAP yes, Thorough NO. Di you ever speak to NCGIA or its students? This course is intense very very thorough and VERY nit picky. This is a course that people SHOULD take and use by example. I was blown away by the old standards and the new standards. WAY TO GO NCGIA...
Cat and Dog Groomer

Kingston, PA

#71 Jan 27, 2013
In response to the below: Petsmarts so called school is get them in and out asap. Not the overall care. I have seen clients that went there and have dogs injured, not dried and so many other things. They stick the dogs in a tin can and wiat for them to dry that is not grooming. It's like the cops lets get our quota for the day. I would rather had worked under someone first then gone to school it give you more insight. As for the cat grooming school NCGIA.. Unbeatable education Hands down.....
NJGroomer wrote:
I went to a grooming school in NJ that was registered with the department of education and work force development. I paid $5,000 to go there every day for 6 weeks... I got a job at petsmart after that i had no problem doing breed cut or even trendy cuts after my training...i love the work i do and i agree that there need to be more standards...i see other so called groomers and the chop jobs they do and it is scary...i cant tell you how many people bring in pets that were at other groomers to fix what they did....i wish there was something to show when i go out on my own that i know what i am doing unlike these hacks.....
geez

Anaheim, CA

#72 Feb 24, 2013
EducationSystemSucks wrote:
<quoted text>
That is why these pet grooming school courses are kept so short. Where else can a "tard" be certified but through a pet grooming school or pet grooming association.
Oh wait, I had a "tard" apply for a grooming job that had a IQ of only 70 (seventy) that was certified by a College as a Certified Vet-Assistance.
Sounds like you are assuming a mentally disabled person has no capabilities in society except getting certified by a scam.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Greenville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Techrebuy (Jul '13) Oct 18 Smartechie 6
my experiance on woodruff rd> this afternoon!! Oct 17 Stuck in traffic 1
Sports- Parisi Speed School at Fast Athletics Oct 17 Sports4 1
Supreme Court inaction leaves gay couples in limbo Oct 15 eJohn 55
Review: Petra Communications Oct 6 Meek 1
stolen red and black moped from garage 8.11.14 Oct 3 Pat King 2
Greenwood County Arrest Report for Sep. 25, 2014 Oct 3 ACE MILNERyour 1
Greenville Dating
Find my Match

Greenville Jobs