No Snow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2011

Hi Everyone. I have an upcoming job interview in Franklin, and would love to relocate to somewhere that is warmer than here in central NY. I've read the city-data & wikipedia sites, but would like information from the residents themselves. Anything you could tell me about the community, the school system (high school, middle school, & elementary), shopping, doctors, veterinarians, etc. would be great.

We have three children and pets. We are used to a rural lifestyle, and live in the country right now. From what I have seen online it is gorgeous there. I realize you get some snow, but probably not the 3 feet in a day kind of snow that we get. What are winters & summers really like?

Thank you in advance for your help.
Disillusioned Maconian

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

Reading this Franklin forum will give you some idea.

Be sure you have a job here first, before you move here. The economy is bad and nemployment is high.

35,000 population countywide, most rather depressed right now except in the wealthy Cashiers-Highlands area.
jcl

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

i just moved from Franklin to central NY.
make sure that job flies. slim pickins' for work. otherwise, Asheville is the closest city with possibilities for work; about 1 hour 20 min. at least.
Sam McConnell

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

jcl wrote:
make sure that job flies. slim pickins' for work. otherwise, Asheville is the closest city with possibilities for work; about 1 hour 20 min. at least.
Just wondering, where are you from originally and why were you in Franklin before and why did you move to NY?

Macon County has long been a stopover between NY and Florida, and peoples' stories are always interesting.
No Snow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 15, 2011

jcl wrote:
Are you in Syracuse, or in a small town? The taxes here in NY will kill you, as will the high gasoline prices. Business are leaving NY like rats jumping off sinking ships, and so are the workers, because there aren't any jobs.

Good luck, and enjoy the winter when it hits sometime in October. Syracuse gets A LOT of snow!
Russell Maney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2011

The rural parts of the county are a good place to live, but the bus rides are really long.

Some children ride the bus 90 minutes one way to get to the one Intermediate School in Wells Grove.
jcl

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2011

go for it.don't take my word for it. from syracuse and good to be back. not knockin' franklin, but if you think that there are no jobs anywhere in central NY, then you are in for a big surprise in Franklin. there is no industry other than Caterpillar. you can work at Walmart, lowe's or Mc
Dee's; then theres Drakes.. you should be prepared if your job doesnt work out
Russell Maney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 19, 2011

Unfortunately Caterpillar isn't hiring any more. They layed off a bunch of people last year and moved part of their operation to Mexico.

It's a good place to live if you are retired or have an independent income.
No Snow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2011

jcl wrote:
go for it.don't take my word for it. from syracuse and good to be back. not knockin' franklin, but if you think that there are no jobs anywhere in central NY, then you are in for a big surprise in Franklin. there is no industry other than Caterpillar. you can work at Walmart, lowe's or Mc
Dee's; then theres Drakes.. you should be prepared if your job doesnt work out
Actually, I'm an LCSW; there are more positions available down there than there are here, and the salaries are higher. Central NY does not place that much value on education. There are a number of openings for licensed therapists down there.
mavis

Owosso, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2011

Franklin is a great place to live &work, we do not have children, but we love it here. We actually have a house for sale. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 & 1/2 baths.2 front decks 2 paved driveway. Fenced in yard for our dogs very nice section kinda of in the woods, good neighbors, but homes are built within the trees. Full size basement. If interested just reply on here & I will get more info
Jim Presley

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2011

mavis wrote:
Franklin is a great place to live &work, we do not have children, but we love it here. We actually have a house for sale. It has 3 bedrooms, 2 & 1/2 baths.2 front decks 2 paved driveway. Fenced in yard for our dogs very nice section kinda of in the woods, good neighbors, but homes are built within the trees. Full size basement. If interested just reply on here & I will get more info
Mavis, good luck!
Russell Maney

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2011

mavis wrote:
So why are you leaving? And where are you moving to?
tim

Sylva, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2011

More carpetbaggersjust what we need.
Jim Presley

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2011

LOL, Tim. I think Mavis is trying to sell her house and leave, not come here, which is why I said Good Luck (on selling your house). The Yankee/SunState/Snowbird "carpetbagger" days are over.

What I'm hearing is that most of the foreclosures here are people who have "second/vacation" homes and find it is better to just walk away from them than to keep on paying the mortgages.
tim

Cullowhee, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 21, 2011

Jim Presley wrote:
LOL, Tim. I think Mavis is trying to sell her house and leave, not come here, which is why I said Good Luck (on selling your house). The Yankee/SunState/Snowbird "carpetbagger" days are over.
What I'm hearing is that most of the foreclosures here are people who have "second/vacation" homes and find it is better to just walk away from them than to keep on paying the mortgages.
Its about time they quit invading.
Dope dealer

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2011

we have tons of min wage jobs and all the Meth you can snort.
moving

Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2011

I'm looking at some property in the Ridges. Its a place used to be called Wildflower. Anybody have any information on it?
I read this thread so I'm aware of some of the negatives. I live rurally now and work from home with a solid job. As long as I can get high speed internet I'm ok.
I am interested in access to an airport though. I also have a son who will be in High School next year and wonder about the quality of the school.
Any feedback?
Bob Rogers

Burnsville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2011

Wildflower on the Cowee Mountain ridge? The one where the road cuts are sliding down the mountain?
Barney Feife

Sylva, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Wildflower has basically been abandoned by the developer, only one house built, by a Methodist Leader for around $600K and now worthless. Lots of foreclosures, debt, etc. and a huge road problem that would cost millions to fix, if it could be fixed. You can't pile up loose dirt, 100 feet high and expect that to be a road on a steep slope. There are several other developements in the area who have the same problems, a lot of hype, speculation but no relationship with reality. Highlands/Cashiers also has this problem, plus some Scams and so does Lake Lure where they built the "Model Home" given away by Home and Gardens, and the rest of the developement foreclosed/abandoned and the road not finished to that "beautiful" home now worth almost nothing! Be careful, still lots of RE brokers/developers looking to make some fast money on outsiders who don't know the mtns./local market or what is going on!

Since: Sep 11

Franklin, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2011

Just wondering if No Snow has made their mind uop yet?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Greenville Discussions

Search the Greenville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 10 min Red Square 55,702
Why did Franklin Town Manager resign after just... Mon new comer 16
Review: Carrion Tree Svc (Jul '11) Jul 19 drd4ed 40
What's happening with tourism in Macon County? (Feb '13) Jul 19 Johnny C 22
Macon County News Facebook for Drake Enterprises Jul 19 Johnny C 17
just asking Jul 12 wondering 1
Tommy lear Jul 8 Amy 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Greenville Jobs

•••