Fire at Nursing Home in Green Cove Springs Kills One, Injures E...

Full story: First Coast News Jacksonville

The Fire Marshal's office is investigating a fatal fire at a nursing home in Green Cove Springs.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Nov 13, 2009
p-a-m-m-

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 19, 2008
 
there should not be any smoking inside this facility,so why is there?
doc

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 19, 2008
 
chances are the staff had no idea the person was a smoker or that he would light up in a facility which no one is allowed to smoke in.
lizzie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 19, 2008
 
every resident in a facility is assessed for smoking safety... it makes you wonder if they did or if someone just had cigarettes and they did not know they smoke. my understanding is that state survey was there last week. They will be back this week now.
Dale

Fernandina Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 19, 2008
 
This facility is known for being very relaxed when it comes to rules. They have a covered patio in which the residents gather to smoke. The smell is terrible. Some of the residents do not care about the smoking rules in the facility. It doesn't surprise me that this happened.
casketlady

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 20, 2008
 
This place should have been shut down years ago..I would not let a house plant live there.
Inconspicuous

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 20, 2008
 
doc wrote:
chances are the staff had no idea the person was a smoker or that he would light up in a facility which no one is allowed to smoke in.
It's the obligation of the facility and staff to know who smokes and to make sure that they have no access to smoking materials. Its a matter of safety for everyone. Although the staff acted fast and can be credited for reducing the damage, they did not do what they should have to begin with.
katie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 20, 2008
 
I work in a nursing home.. there are times when residents have someone hidden their cigarettes and lighters from the staff and use them in their rooms. I also worked at this facility in the past, it is Not a real good place, but you know, they work with what they can get for help. As in other nursing homes there is Never enough staff to take care of these residents as they should be taken care of. But kudos for those who aided in keeping the casualties down.
katie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 20, 2008
 
oops.. I meant they hide their cigarettes and lighter from the staff.. sorry
ray

Saint Augustine, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 20, 2008
 
Simper-on socialist hoohaas. No, a cigarette didn't cause anything. A PERSON caused the fire. Do you have trouble spelling p-e-r-s-o-n? Or do you just refuse to ascribe responsibility to any individual??
Takes-a-village, eh ... and LOTS of rules ... and you're the village ruler. Must all be Osama fans, or Hilbabes'....
Trina

Madison, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 21, 2008
 
Let me see......an old person, oxygen and a lighter....Not a good idea
ray

Saint Augustine, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 21, 2008
 
Inconspicuous wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the obligation of the facility and staff to know who smokes and to make sure that they have no access to smoking materials. Its a matter of safety for everyone. Although the staff acted fast and can be credited for reducing the damage, they did not do what they should have to begin with.
BigI:

I see your (cough/gasp/rasp) respect. Truth is, dogooders really s*ck. Hope those ol'-folks are tough. Just because they gotcha racked-out on some torture matress, and looped on happypills doesn't mean ya can't fight for control and self-respect.
Sure, hypothetically, mebby if I was there facility-staff would grab my smokes ... just after they pried my cold, dead white paws from the melted barrel of my mini-14. YMMV %^]
victims granddaughter

Milledgeville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 23, 2008
 
ray wrote:
Simper-on socialist hoohaas. No, a cigarette didn't cause anything. A PERSON caused the fire. Do you have trouble spelling p-e-r-s-o-n? Or do you just refuse to ascribe responsibility to any individual??
Takes-a-village, eh ... and LOTS of rules ... and you're the village ruler. Must all be Osama fans, or Hilbabes'....
no i have no trouble spelling person what about personnel.. that should have been making their rounds and resonponsible for smoke alarms in the rooms and keeping the building up to code!! and taking care of the people put there to take care of...you know their "job description"!!!! do you have family in a nursing home?
theresa rauseo

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 13, 2009
 
it does not surprise me they commit murder and crimes against their patients every day and are getting away with it my father was one of their victims and no one would help me even with proof I have of what they did

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Green Cove Springs Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Green Cove Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Green Cove Springs News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Green Cove Springs
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••