First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Opinions

East Alton, IL

#1 Jul 28, 2012
Whats your take on getting your lovers name or a tattoo about them?
witty

East Alton, IL

#2 Jul 28, 2012
Ive My husbands name and it is a choice i dont regret :)
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#3 Jul 29, 2012
Its about as white trash as it comes. Long as you're going to do it might as well have it put on your neck like the rest of the trash around here.

Seriously though. Ive know at least 4 people who have had it covered up later.

Tattoos are an immediate indicate of lower social class. When you get outside of granite and into more well to do social circles it is highly looked down upon.
heart breaker

Euless, TX

#5 Jul 29, 2012
[I was just at Walmart and one of the check out girls had a tattoo on her neck it look like a bird when I asked her what it was she said it was a star I said it doesn't look anything like a star and she said I know they messed it up this thing was as big as their neck. She told me she's going to get covered up and I said what are you going to get covered up with you as I'm not sure yet it was the worst tattoo I've ever seen in my life get a clue people on these tatoos they are some of the tackiest thing you can do is get a tattoo on your face or neck or your forearms
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#6 Jul 29, 2012
If you ever care about having a career instead of a low paying job it would be wise to only get tattoos that can be covered with long pants and short sleeves.
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#7 Jul 29, 2012
The other thing that is completely stupid is putting plugs or guages in your ears. I dont think these kids realize that when they take them out they will look like the have extra assholes in their ears. It requires surgery to make your earlobes not look like sphincters. Ive known a couple of people who had to have the surgery once they grew the hell up and didnt want to look like a rebel by doing the exact same thing everyone else is doing anymore.

Always cracked me up that kids do stuff like that to be different and then you look around and every other kid is doing the same thing. If you want to be alternative why not try dressing like a normal human being and not getting stupid piercings. Now thats being a rebel!
heart breaker

Euless, TX

#8 Jul 29, 2012
mahz_ wrote:
The other thing that is completely stupid is putting plugs or guages in your ears. I dont think these kids realize that when they take them out they will look like the have extra assholes in their ears. It requires surgery to make your earlobes not look like sphincters. Ive known a couple of people who had to have the surgery once they grew the hell up and didnt want to look like a rebel by doing the exact same thing everyone else is doing anymore.

Always cracked me up that kids do stuff like that to be different and then you look around and every other kid is doing the same thing. If you want to be alternative why not try dressing like a normal human being and not getting stupid piercings. Now thats being a rebel!
agreed
knowledge

Fontana, KS

#9 Jul 29, 2012
First, tattoos are not white trash. I am a college graduate with a professional career. I have tattoos. As a matter of fact many of my co-workers have at least one but usually more.

It isn't white trash to have a name either. Just remember over 50% of marriages end in divorce so tattooing someone's name may need changed in the future.

It is your body, do what you want. Just be classy about it.
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#10 Jul 29, 2012
knowledge wrote:
First, tattoos are not white trash. I am a college graduate with a professional career. I have tattoos. As a matter of fact many of my co-workers have at least one but usually more.
It isn't white trash to have a name either. Just remember over 50% of marriages end in divorce so tattooing someone's name may need changed in the future.
It is your body, do what you want. Just be classy about it.
I hold several degrees. I also have tattoos. When you move out of middle class circles into the upper class it is looked at as white trash. Maybe youve just never risen to that level
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#11 Jul 29, 2012
If youre not making six figures you probably have no idea what Im trying to say. But thats ok.
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#12 Jul 29, 2012
But dont take my word for it.

http://all-art.org/art_20th_century/modern_ar...

Although the general acceptance of tattoos is on the rise in Western society, they still carry a heavy stigma among upper- and upper-middle-class socioeconomic groups. Because members of these groups tend to have more conservative and understated tastes when it comes to culture and fashion, they often view the very practice of decorative tattooing as tacky or vulgar in itself. Classism also plays a role, as tattoos are associated with negative working-class stereotypes like the white trash or Guido stereotypes, as well as stereotypes of immigrants and racial minorities

http://www.pediatricsdigest.mo bi/content/110/6/1058.abstract

Results. Of the total sample of youths, 4.5% reported having permanent tattoos. Tattooing was significantly associated with older age, living in a single-parent household, and lower socioeconomic status but was not significantly associated with gender, ethnicity, or neighborhood type.

http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst...

DeMello concludes by discussing the arrival of a new generation of tattooists amongst the established baby-boomers: Generation X. This new generation is 'cynical, independent, and resentful', and holds 'a less idealistic notion of tattooing'. Although they are adorned with middle-class tattoos, their socio-economic situation seems to be working-class, and they display 'an attitude that rejects modern society and its values to a much greater extent than that of the previous generation'. DeMello ponders as to the next evolutionary step that the tattoo community will take.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j....

The checkered history of tattooing is reviewed and the psychological motives of those obtaining tattoos are examined. Frequently appearing on individuals of lower socioeconomic background, tattoos are an often overlooked source of psychodynamic information. Suggestions are offered to aid the clinician in the appropriate understanding of the significance of tattoos.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027....

In recent years, there has been an increase in
persons with tattoos, with the images becoming
increasingly eclectic. In a recent self-report survey
of 247 men and 253 women, 24% of respondents
had tattoos, and the presence of tattoos was equally
common among both sexes. The presence of a
tattoo was associated with a lack of religious affi liation,
extended jail time, previous drinking, recreational
drug use, and lower socioeconomic and
educational status (Laumann & Derrick, 2006).
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#13 Jul 29, 2012
Im not upper class myself, but I do spend time in those circles.If any social situation comes up where I need to remove my shirt (swimming, sports) when they see my tattoos Im looked at like I have a second asshole in the middle of my forehead.

It is most certainly a class indicator that says you are working class or lower.

Since: May 12

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Jul 29, 2012
mahz_ wrote:
If you ever care about having a career instead of a low paying job it would be wise to only get tattoos that can be covered with long pants and short sleeves.
I have a very high paying job and have held it for 10 years, and I have tattoos. I do agree that the placement of your tattoos should not be on your face, neck or arms, if you're in the corporate world. And just an FYI, I have been to many black tie events and have never been looked down upon due to having tattoos. My tattoos are not crazy, evil or cheap looking, they are all very well placed and tactful - I would never get something I would regret later in life.

Since: May 12

Saint Louis, MO

#15 Jul 29, 2012
mahz_ wrote:
If youre not making six figures you probably have no idea what Im trying to say. But thats ok.
You make six figures, highly doubtful!!!!
knowledge

Fontana, KS

#16 Jul 29, 2012
You can hold several degrees and not make six figures. My salary had no basis for my tattoos but I guarantee that I associated with upper class individuals frequently and not one has ever looked down on me for a tattoos.

I get what you are trying to say but it sounds to me like maybe your just mixed in with a bunch of snobs.
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#17 Jul 29, 2012
Beverly Hills 1969 wrote:
<quoted text>
You make six figures, highly doubtful!!!!
I never said I did. If you look at the posts I say specifically that Im not upper class but I do run in those circles.

Reading comprehension is sorely lacking amongst these mouth breathing idiots on Topix
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#18 Jul 29, 2012
You guys can argue with me all you want. Its just your opinion. I provided you with peer reviewed journal articles saying the same thing.

So take your opinion and shove it. Working class granite losers trying to act all high and mighty like they arent just working class Granite losers.
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#19 Jul 29, 2012
How many tattoo shops are in Clayton and Ladue?

Sorry you guys want to feel better than the rest of the Granite trash, but your tattoos categorize you otherwise.
mahz_

Edwardsville, IL

#20 Jul 29, 2012
One question for ya moron. Why would you assume I dont make six figures? Just because you dont like me? Because you think your better than me and you dont make it so I obviously cant? Judgemental prick.

Im not that far away. If I keep moving up like I have been I will be there in five to seven years.
knowledge

Kansas City, MO

#21 Jul 29, 2012
I am most definitely working class just as are my peers.

My "working class" peers make a minimum of six figures.

It's about attitude not class. And those who are judging have an attitude with little class.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tasha Andrews-What kind of Mother are you? 1 hr gdam 32
The Scott family (May '13) 3 hr looking for 5
is amanda weaver in jail hearing rumors (Feb '14) 5 hr oldanusedup 52
Clean this town up 7 hr foofoo 5
my lover 10 hr wow 8
Richard or Bob perigo 11 hr I do 2
the wizard of gc 12 hr Bailey fan club lol 65
Granite City Dating
Find my Match

Granite City People Search