Bill Would Ban Death Penalty In Ohio | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

Full story: 10TV WBNS 78
Lawmakers on Monday announced plans to introduce a bill that would abolish Ohio's use of the death penalty. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Who Pays

Palo Alto, CA

#1 Mar 14, 2011
Given the budget situation, I think we should be performing executions faster. Might seem harsh, but consider completely innocent tax payers who have to pay for these mutts to have three squares per day for their crimes...

If Ted Celeste wants to house these folks at his house then I might listen.

Liberals always know how to best spend other people's money...

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
G I Joe

Centerburg, OH

#2 Mar 14, 2011
Abolish the death penalty and send all the murders to live with Rep. Ted Celeste if he thinks it ok to have them around.
Jean

Zanesville, OH

#3 Mar 14, 2011
No. Idiots breed more idiots and there are more idiots walking around now than ever. If we never execute anyone, the jails are just going to get more crowded and be even more expensive for the taxpayers. The crime rates certainly aren't going down so how are we supposed to pay for a murderer's television, healthcare, and food every day for the rest of their lives when they never get rid of any of them (i.e. the death penalty)?
Tim

Columbus, OH

#4 Mar 14, 2011
I think we need to put in an express lane.
Wow

Columbus, OH

#5 Mar 14, 2011
Really!!! Im sorry, but Ohio has the 6th largest prison population in the United States. If a person murders or rapes someone etc. they should be given the death penalty. Why should we have to pay to keep someone institutionalized who does not desereve to live.
Citizen

Chillicothe, OH

#6 Mar 14, 2011
How do you save money by housing these prisoners for years and years, come on, speed them up, 20-25yrs on death row, ridiculous, or like they said, let them live with the senator
Bill Jones

Columbus, OH

#7 Mar 14, 2011
Are you crazy? How do these guys think it would save the state money by putting them in prison for life?

One year in prison costs around $35,000 more or less to feed; clothe; medicate them and above all house each one of the lifers. This also includes all the salaries of all those personnel that have to guard and keep them safe from others.

When each prison fills up, they will now have to face the cost of building a new one, then hire more personnel and it goes on and on.

I have heard that some states have had to "farm out" prisoners to other states, because they ran out of room and couldn't afford to build a new one.

If it costs too much to give each one on death row that "SHOT", then do it the old way -- hang them or use the firing squad. So they can squawk on how inhuman that is. They didn't care what pain they caused the person they killed, nor the family.
donkey hater

Columbus, OH

#8 Mar 14, 2011
this left wing celeste is a joke. are you freakin kidding me? ban the death penalty??? that is the worst idea i've ever heard. You don't ban the death penalty because the judicial system is flawed. Fix the judicial system. Who does this moron think is going to pay for housing more idiots? how did this jerk off get elected??? unbelievable. This is worse than the railway to cleveland idea. If i was governor, I would purposely have public executions on the capitol lawn. Guillotine. Anyone who kills someone with pre meditation gets it. In front of everyone. that would deter crime thats for sure. Democrats are so dumb. Ban the death penalty!! WORST IDEA IN HISTORY!!!!
Redhawk

Columbus, OH

#9 Mar 14, 2011
I agree with changing the death penalty...

Bring it out from behind the walls of prison for everyone to see. Show the would-be murders that it's real. Make them afraid of the law, not blind to it.
LtADW

Twinsburg, OH

#10 Mar 14, 2011
Seems funny, the more we do away with the death penalty the more violent the criminals are getting. I guess they know that without the death penalty they can live their lives on the taxpayers dime, and learn how to become even more violent while in prison.
The corrections system does not rehabilitate! Look at the scum who killed the couple from Logan County, he did not want to come back to Ohio simply because we have the death penalty.
I guess we now know where the state plans to spend the money they expect from SB5. Again off the tax payers backs.
jo jo

Kansas City, MO

#11 Mar 14, 2011
let someone murder your love one or family and then lock him up for life with three squares a day.
you have to be kidding me. let's get a move on with the ones on death row as long as we are 100% sure they committed the crime and the pushiment is the death penalty.

done deal!!!
avz

North Fort Myers, FL

#12 Mar 14, 2011
Bill Jones wrote:
Are you crazy? How do these guys think it would save the state money by putting them in prison for life?
One year in prison costs around $35,000 more or less to feed; clothe; medicate them and above all house each one of the lifers. This also includes all the salaries of all those personnel that have to guard and keep them safe from others.
When each prison fills up, they will now have to face the cost of building a new one, then hire more personnel and it goes on and on.
I have heard that some states have had to "farm out" prisoners to other states, because they ran out of room and couldn't afford to build a new one.
If it costs too much to give each one on death row that "SHOT", then do it the old way -- hang them or use the firing squad. So they can squawk on how inhuman that is. They didn't care what pain they caused the person they killed, nor the family.
Your numbers are way off. A death row inmate costs about $85,000 per year. Lower security inmates are about $14,000 with the average being less than $20,000. With trial and housing a death penalty case costs millions. It is much cheaper to have these criminals serve their sentences as life.
Don't get me wrong there are people such as Alva Campbell that really deserve the death penalty.
BTW prisoners at the Correctional Medical Center are the most expensive to house.
CSDWWX

Columbus, OH

#13 Mar 14, 2011
Due to the legal appeal process it is actually 3x LESS expensive to keep a prisoner in a jail cell 24 hours a day for the rest of their lives than to execute them.

I actually think the death penalty is the easy way out, living in solitary 6' x 8' cage like an animal is way more cruel and punishing mentally, physically and emotionally.

After you factor that innocent people throughout our history have been killed at the hand of the state there is a strong argument against it.

I also wonder how many people on here that are so quick to kill someone through the means of the state are also anti abortion proponents? I find it ironic that the first ones ready to flip the switch are also the same people preaching that an embryo is a life. Seems a little hypocritical.

Maybe that is the goal. Outlaw abortion which creates thousands of new unwanted baby's to grow up and commit murders, rapes and chaos. Then we can then chop their heads off on the steps of the statehouse. Hell, lets sell tickets and beer to help offset the budget crisis as well...
Hum T Doodle

Reynoldsburg, OH

#14 Mar 14, 2011
Ohio will soon be the most execution-friendly state. At this rate, Ohio will earn it's "Texas of the North" designation -if it hasn't already.
Judging by recent studies of the primitive cultures outside my window, the Web looks enemic.
Retired PUBLIC WORKER

Osteen, FL

#15 Mar 14, 2011
I sure as H*** hope Ohio keeps the Death Penalty. With the state being in the red, just think what it will cost to keep a con for life. There some who don't deserve to live after a vicious killing. I say use the Death penalty, where needed. and send a message to those would be killers that OHIO will not tolerate murder. Those who are wanting to do away with it are from the liberal side and only think that to keep cons alive is right. But just ask Ted Celeste if one of his family members were killed would he vote to give the Killer life?? No Money speaks, and so do friends in high places. I sure hope Ohio uses it brains and continue to use the death penalty.
u2me1

Columbus, OH

#16 Mar 14, 2011
I guess Scudder will like that.he took a 14 year old girls life.and try.d to put the blame on 2 black men but after all said and done he was the ask ho.
truth

Mansfield, OH

#17 Mar 14, 2011
wtf. it should be you get one trial then one appeal. then with in TWO years they get old sparky or a bullet to the stomach and a slow death. this 20 years to get executed cost the tax payers $700,000 were if they got it in two years it would only cost about $60,000
OZZY

United States

#18 Mar 14, 2011
KILL EM ALL
William Tell

Hilliard, OH

#19 Mar 14, 2011
Ted Celeste is a loon liberal and why do people keep electing him.
I say next election his sorry a-s-s needs to go.
IF he wants to have a love fest with death row murderers, then let him have them at his nice home.
Ohio needs a death penalty to rid society of the scom that create the worse crime we see.
Without a real deterent, these scum really won't think twice about popping a cap into a victim.
OZZY

United States

#20 Mar 14, 2011
CHEAPER TO KILL EM THAN LIFE IN PRISON

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grandview Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 59 min 18WheelsNoBrainCells 31,007
Mother Shot Over Tennis Shoes 2 hr Canterbury 6
A blast from the past...50's. Enjoy! 3 hr They cannot kill ... 8
OBAMA Outperforms Reagan 4 hr Free Pizza 4 U 57
where is George of Hilliard? 4 hr They cannot kill ... 28
Free Live Trivia - Wed Nights 7 hr Trivia 1
Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions (Jun '06) 7 hr Alicia2967 2,713
•••
•••
Grandview Heights Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••