Scotland Neck, NC

#1 Feb 25, 2010
The Honorable Robert E.(Nub) Taylor.

(just wait and see)

HORRAY !!!!!!!!!!
Mountain Woman

United States

#2 Feb 25, 2010
PLEASE. He has a criminal record which is well deserved.
Mountain Woman

United States

#3 Feb 25, 2010
Mountain Woman wrote:
PLEASE. He has a criminal record which is well deserved.
and, I forgot to mention... there is nothing "Honorable" about that.
amr

Scotland Neck, NC

#4 Feb 25, 2010
he will be elected.

Since: Jun 09

Raleigh, NC

#5 Feb 27, 2010
I hope he gets it, I have always liked him.
No One Special

Asheville, NC

#6 Feb 27, 2010
Sweet I was wondering when Nub would announce that he was running. He will get my vote for sure. He may have a record but he was set up. Nub is very well liked by many. GO NUB!!!
law dawg

Greenville, SC

#7 Feb 28, 2010
thats what we need a sheriff that cant carry a gun or take a gun from anyone
skeeter

Asheville, NC

#8 Mar 1, 2010
i hope nub gets sheriff-it's about time we got somebody in that will take care of things-he might not be able to carry a gun-but what's the use? they all carry them now just for "show" they probably wouldn't know how to use them to start with! nub has my vote for sure-his name has been dragged thru the mud and he's been crapped on-nice to know he still has the guts to come back like he did-now that's what i call a sheriff!!!
skeeter

Asheville, NC

#9 Mar 1, 2010
vote for nub!! vote for nub!!

“You lose a lot of time, hating”

Since: Jan 10

Roan Mountain

#10 Mar 2, 2010
Minimum Requirements

Minimum Requirements established by the North Carolina Sheriffs' Education and Training Standards, as the Wake County are the basis for consideration for employments as a Deputy, Sheriff, Detention Officer or Telecommunicator.

These requirements include:

Must be US Citizen (or proof of naturalization)
21 Years of Age
High School Graduate (or equivalent – correspondence diplomas are not accepted by Sheriffs’ Standards)
No Felony or Serious Misdemeanor Charges/Convictions
Be of Good Moral Character
Medical Examination and Drug Test (will be done by our office)
Note: All Detention Officer and Deputy Sheriff applicants are required to make minimum passing scores on both a physical fitness test and a reading test. Your scores will be discussed with you on the same day that you are tested. Below is a description of the physical fitness test, the reading test, and the type of clothing necessary for testing day.

Physical Fitness Assessment consisting of:
One and one-half mile (1.5) run
One minute push-up test
One minute sit-up test
Skin fold measurement/body composition
Flexibility sit-and-reach test
Proper athletic apparel is required for testing and consists of:
T-shirt or sweat shirt
Running shorts with appropriate undergarments
Sweat pants or wind pants
Proper running shoes
Gloves and/or headgear for inclement weather
Reading Test consisting of:
A graded reading locator test (17 minute time limit)
A vocabulary test (17 minute time limit)
A comprehension test (37 minute time limit)
Upon selection, a complete background will be done. This background includes but is not limited to the following checks: criminal, civil, driving, and credit. There will also be interviews conducted with references, current and previous employers, and others determined by the background investigator.

It is the responsibility of the applicant to get a certified county-wide criminal history record check of ALL CHARGES from any county for which you have lived for the past 10 years and the county you were living when you graduated from, or last attended high school. If you have not been charged with anything, the record check MUST have that specified as well. Your application will not be submitted for a background investigation until our office receives your record checks, as well as all other requested documents.
jester

Fort Mill, SC

#11 Mar 2, 2010
skeeter wrote:
i hope nub gets sheriff-it's about time we got somebody in that will take care of things-he might not be able to carry a gun-but what's the use? they all carry them now just for "show" they probably wouldn't know how to use them to start with! nub has my vote for sure-his name has been dragged thru the mud and he's been crapped on-nice to know he still has the guts to come back like he did-now that's what i call a sheriff!!!
u for got he cant take it
amr

Greenville, SC

#12 Mar 3, 2010
law dawg wrote:
thats what we need a sheriff that cant carry a gun or take a gun from anyone
Ed Gwyn never carried a gun...What's your point?
skeeter

Asheville, NC

#13 Mar 4, 2010
jester wrote:
<quoted text>u for got he cant take it
ok-if he can't take it, then why is his name in the local newspapers for election? and i really don't think our current sheriff or a few before him could take it, either. think about that one.
scooter

Raleigh, NC

#14 Mar 4, 2010
roan mtn resident - those are requirements for law enforcement officers to be certified. this does not apply to the actual sheriff who, if elected by the majority of popular vote by citizens of the county, does not have to meet this requirement. If a person is eligible to file for election to the office and the citizens vote him/her in, that is all the requirements that is required.
jester - not sure what you mean by the comement that he can't take it.
Mountain Woman

Dallas, NC

#15 Mar 4, 2010
In NC you must be 21, a US Citizen, and have lived in the state for at least one year. You don't need to be capable to be elected. God help us if Avery County re elects Nub Taylor.
skeeter

Asheville, NC

#16 Mar 5, 2010
scooter wrote:
roan mtn resident - those are requirements for law enforcement officers to be certified. this does not apply to the actual sheriff who, if elected by the majority of popular vote by citizens of the county, does not have to meet this requirement. If a person is eligible to file for election to the office and the citizens vote him/her in, that is all the requirements that is required.
jester - not sure what you mean by the comement that he can't take it.
jester-not sure what was meant by the comment or in denial that nub will get it?
skeeter

Asheville, NC

#17 Mar 5, 2010
Mountain Woman wrote:
In NC you must be 21, a US Citizen, and have lived in the state for at least one year. You don't need to be capable to be elected. God help us if Avery County re elects Nub Taylor.
i believe everyone is in denial about nub running for sheriff!! he will get it!
The man who saw tomorrow

Asheville, NC

#18 Mar 5, 2010
Would you agree that America is consistently making worse decisions and choices for public officials recently ? Did we not just vote a man into the President's Office that may not even be an American Citizen ? This world is changing rapidly for the worst and believe it or not , a Sheriff is one of the most powerful people in our system .I would like to ask all voters to do some research before you make up your mind who you are going to vote for on Election Day . The information you need is mostly public record and can be found at The Clerk of Court's Office or online at N.C Court System .If you choose online just go to home page,then Court Calendars ,then to Officer Court Appearance Query , and search each candidate in the county and agency ( Sheriff , Police , etc) they are currently working. Look and see what type and how many criminal cases the candidate's have in court. The online system will only give you current court dates for Officers so I would also say go to the Clerk's Office and look for cases in years and months past. Check the candidate's conviction rate. Also ask your local D.A or Judges(these are people you elected also) not their opinion, but rather which candidate's bring good,legitimate cases to court ,or how often do you see the candidate ? Look in the Clerk's records and find out if the candidate has written a search warrant .We all will have to accept the fact that we are living in a world where things have changed from simple to complicated , internet crimes are a big problem . Prescription pills are a big problem . Is the candidate smart enough to write a search warrant for someone's medical records or their computer ? That's what you gotta do these days folks . It's not Andy Griffith days anymore ( I wish it were ).Also check the Federal Court System and see if the candidate has ever been capable of getting a Federal case adopted ( we all have seen that this is the best way to get a career criminal real prison time ).This world is bad . I know a place 30 minutes from here in Tennessee that recently closed a public park because children were stepping on needles ! No joke people . Our local Sheriff is our best defense against the criminal activity that is either already here or coming soon . I know all of the candidates are really good people and are "Good Ole Boys" , but we need the man who can do the job and we might have to hurt some of the candidate's feelings on election day . We gotta get the man that knows how to do the job the best. I think all of the candidates will wave at you and be nice to you , but we gotta look deeper than that.I challenge each of you to please do some research and don't just vote for a recognizable name or because they asked you to vote for them .We need this information as voters and we as good citizens need to take control back out of the hands of crooked politicians .

skeeter

Asheville, NC

#19 Mar 6, 2010
they're all crooked! and i don't need to do any research-nub has proved himself many times!!
Jay from Newland

United States

#20 Mar 6, 2010
Nub was always honest. He never stole or lied and he was thrown under the political bus in Avery Co for speaking out against the political machine. He had the balls to stand up to 4th-grade reader Sam Laws and Mr Vocabulary himself, Joe Strickland. Nub helped people and he never denied being a wild, hell-raising, ass-kicking mountain man. Yet, he did his job honestly for 16 years. He appointed a coroner to fight dope and he declared war on the corrupt politicians. He was always up front about who he was and what his truths were.

After Clinton Phillips having all his issues with charges and supposed beatings, everyone thought electing a "gentle" guy like Ed Gwyn was the answer. So Dudley green was beaten out by a bumbling yes man like Ed.

Ed was the consumate gutless moron who epitomized what a bad sheriff was. Hnd his deputies were involved in at least two fatal or critical injury patrol car collisions that cost the county LOTS of money. He had no promotional standards and hired whoever to do whatever, with no qualifications. Ed always responded to gunfights with no gun and he botched the Beech Mtn standoff after Glenn Hicks was horribly murdered. He kissed criminal's asses, taking their side over that of his deputies, whoring around at Carey's Flat and always trading arrests for votes. He was even accepting "drug fund donations"; CASH for dopers to "donate" to the county to avoid prosecution, Because this went to the county, it was technically unethical but not illegal, so he got by. He had a known mentally unstable man as a civil process officer who shot several people before he was an officer (why no background check and psych eval?) and he stabbed all of his deputies in the back at one time or another: Dudley Green, Sam Arrowoods Kevin Gunther, Jon Milen, Richard Buchanan, Eric Greene Sharon Carpenter, on and on and on. He had a chief deputy at one point who had a year in police work! He even hired a known deviant as a detective (Ralph Craig). He was even a sorry cattle farmer, who traded his own brother a DEAD COW!!!!

Richard Buchanan then came along (a convicted thief) and he STOLE! SURPRISE! A convicted thief sheriff who was stealing....imagine THAT! After he stabbed Ed in the back and ran against him and WON, he beat people and lied to the bitter end, with a staff that included a coward (Phillip), a white supremacist nazi who wore a swastika pin on his uniform (Peter) and a pedophile criminal (Chris) who was Chief Deputy who gave mommy and daddy's money so he could chase 15-year old girls! All this as Richard had sex on his office desk until he went to prison.

Poor Mike Ellenburg was given a situation that he could not win at and was never given a fair shake and then Ed was put back in. From farmer to felon, back to farmer.

Now Kevin is whoring around and tipping off his pot-growing supporters and undermining his own deputies. He even deputized a child molester as a part time cop at school, so he could run off an honest cop up there to retire, so that his baby-raping deputy (Darcy) could bang little girls and he could be in charge of the school program for DARE. Kevin also deputived another local elected official who turned out to be a cross-dressing transvestite drag queen in Hickory until he was forced out of office!!! What is wrong with Kevin?

How long must this charade of idiotic sheriffs go on unabated in Avery County??

Why not have someone who made mistakes but is man enough to admit to it and who would be just what Avery County needs.

YAY NUB!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grandfather Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
family dollar (Feb '14) 5 hr dr phils obsession 88
longboard 5 hr dr phils obsession 13
papas pizza (Apr '13) 5 hr dr phils obsession 54
Newland authorities investigate homicide after ... (Dec '13) 7 hr dr phils obsession 75
Avery County Schools 7 hr dr phils obsession 435
Ups 9 hr dr phil 16
Avery County Thrift Stores (Mar '14) 9 hr dr phil 43

Winter Storm Warning for Avery County was issued at November 25 at 7:58PM EST

Grandfather Dating
Find my Match

Grandfather People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Grandfather News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Grandfather

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]