Comments
1 - 20 of 51 Comments Last updated Mar 7, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Spence

Bronx, NY

#1 Jul 16, 2013
B) ALL LICENSEES SHALL BE RECERTIFIED TO THE DIVISION OF STATE POLICE EVERY FIVE YEARS THEREAFTER. ANY LICENSE ISSUED BEFORE THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE CHAPTER OF THE LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH ADDED THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL BE RECERTIFIED BY THE LICENSEE ON OR BEFORE JANUARY THIRTY-FIRST, TWO THOUSAND EIGHTEEN, AND NOT LESS THAN ONE YEAR PRIOR TO SUCH DATE, THE STATE POLICE SHALL SEND A NOTICE TO ALL LICENSE HOLDERS WHO HAVE NOT RECERTIFIED BY SUCH TIME. SUCH RECERTIFICATION SHALL BE IN A FORM AS APPROVED BY THE SUPERINTENDENT OF STATE POLICE, WHICH SHALL REQUEST THE LICENSE HOLDER'S NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, GENDER, RACE, RESIDEN TIAL ADDRESS, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, FIREARMS POSSESSED BY SUCH LICENSE HOLDER, EMAIL ADDRESS AT THE OPTION OF THE LICENSE HOLDER AND AN AFFIR MATION THAT SUCH LICENSE HOLDER IS NOT PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING FIREARMS. THE FORM MAY BE IN AN ELECTRONIC FORM IF SO DESIGNATED BY THE SUPERINTENDENT OF STATE POLICE. FAILURE TO RECERTIFY SHALL ACT AS A REVOCATION OF SUCH LICENSE. IF THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE DISCOVER AS A RESULT OF THE RECERTIFICATION PROCESS THAT A LICENSEE FAILED TO PROVIDE A CHANGE OF ADDRESS, THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE SHALL NOT REQUIRE THE LICENSING OFFICER TO REVOKE SUCH LICENSE. B) ALL LICENSEES SHALL BE RECERTIFIED TO THE DIVISION OF STATE POLICE EVERY FIVE YEARS THEREAFTER. ANY LICENSE ISSUED BEFORE THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE CHAPTER OF THE LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH ADDED THIS PARAGRAPH SHALL BE RECERTIFIED BY THE LICENSEE ON OR BEFORE JANUARY THIRTY-FIRST, TWO THOUSAND EIGHTEEN, AND NOT LESS THAN ONE YEAR PRIOR TO SUCH DATE, THE STATE POLICE SHALL SEND A NOTICE TO ALL LICENSE HOLDERS WHO HAVE NOT RECERTIFIED BY SUCH TIME. SUCH RECERTIFICATION SHALL BE IN A FORM AS APPROVED BY THE SUPERINTENDENT OF STATE POLICE, WHICH SHALL REQUEST THE LICENSE HOLDER'S NAME, DATE OF BIRTH, GENDER, RACE, RESIDEN TIAL ADDRESS, SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER, FIREARMS POSSESSED BY SUCH LICENSE HOLDER, EMAIL ADDRESS AT THE OPTION OF THE LICENSE HOLDER AND AN AFFIR MATION THAT SUCH LICENSE HOLDER IS NOT PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING FIREARMS. THE FORM MAY BE IN AN ELECTRONIC FORM IF SO DESIGNATED BY THE SUPERINTENDENT OF STATE POLICE. FAILURE TO RECERTIFY SHALL ACT AS A REVOCATION OF SUCH LICENSE. IF THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE DISCOVER AS A RESULT OF THE RECERTIFICATION PROCESS THAT A LICENSEE FAILED TO PROVIDE A CHANGE OF ADDRESS, THE NEW YORK STATE POLICE SHALL NOT REQUIRE THE LICENSING OFFICER TO REVOKE SUCH LICENSE. The above was taken from the safe act bill S2230
RITA

Gouverneur, NY

#2 Jul 16, 2013
Old news dude
Spence

New York, NY

#3 Jul 17, 2013
RITA wrote:
Old news dude
I know it is old news. But I wasn't sure if everyone got it. It was a back and forth topic for awhile. Then it stopped. I just want to be sure that everyone that participated in the debate seen the official law. I'm not sure that they did. I don't know if it is clear what the law is to them all.
permit holder

Danielson, CT

#4 Jul 25, 2013
Spence wrote:
<quoted text>I know it is old news. But I wasn't sure if everyone got it. It was a back and forth topic for awhile. Then it stopped. I just want to be sure that everyone that participated in the debate seen the official law. I'm not sure that they did. I don't know if it is clear what the law is to them all.
Thank you for clearing this up for me. I have heard a lot of different opinions on how the new renewal would work. I didn't know who to believe. I have only had my permit a short time. I'm glad that it turned out to be no big deal.
Derp

Watertown, NY

#5 Jul 25, 2013
No idea what this means.

So the State Police are taking over pistol permits meaning its out of county officals hands?
DRT

Watertown, NY

#6 Jul 25, 2013
No MORONS it still is up to the county Judge of the county you reside in. All they did was make the applications for renewals centralized. They will send it to the local approving authority before you get it renewed.
DIRT

Gouverneur, NY

#7 Jul 25, 2013
DRT wrote:
No MORONS it still is up to the county Judge of the county you reside in. All they did was make the applications for renewals centralized. They will send it to the local approving authority before you get it renewed.
Ok thanks for the info dickwad.
Derp

Watertown, NY

#8 Jul 25, 2013
Still doesn't make sense.

I don't think you have a permit. So do you go to the Canton clerks office for a new fu**ing card? If so, where do the fu**ing State Police come into the equation? What in the sweet fu** do they do, jackass? Do you even have a permit? I don't think you do because I do and I just called the clerks office in Canton and they told me they have absolutely no idea what the process is going to be and as far as they're concerned the renewal is just an idea right now.
So apparently you're more in the know then they and all county clerk website in NYS right now, dildo.
Randy S

Gouverneur, NY

#9 Jul 25, 2013
Derp wrote:
Still doesn't make sense.
I don't think you have a permit. So do you go to the Canton clerks office for a new fu**ing card? If so, where do the fu**ing State Police come into the equation? What in the sweet fu** do they do, jackass? Do you even have a permit? I don't think you do because I do and I just called the clerks office in Canton and they told me they have absolutely no idea what the process is going to be and as far as they're concerned the renewal is just an idea right now.
So apparently you're more in the know then they and all county clerk website in NYS right now, dildo.
Dude. Did you not read the law? The county clerk only does the initial license application like they do now. Renewals will be through the State Police.
spence

Bronx, NY

#10 Jul 25, 2013
If it ever really happens. It won't be a big deal. Just confirm Your information that is on file now. It may even be done by e mail. Nothing to worry about. I have also called all over. No one knows when it will happen. But according to the law posted above it will be an easy thing. Everyone will retain the same level permit that they now have. We shouldn't argue about it. The facts are plain to read. Our permits will still be concealed carry. It is just for checks and balances. They may find that some permit holders have died. Then they could find out who has those weapons.
Randy S

Gouverneur, NY

#11 Jul 25, 2013
Dude, Your in for a rude awakening. By the time the start of renewal comes around, we will have so many hoops for you to jump through and there will be a fee. This is NY, you always pay.
spence

New York, NY

#12 Jul 26, 2013
Randy S wrote:
Dude, Your in for a rude awakening. By the time the start of renewal comes around, we will have so many hoops for you to jump through and there will be a fee. This is NY, you always pay.
I'm just going by what is written in the law. I didn't see where there would be any fee. I read that it may be done electronically. I didn't see where we would be fingerprinted. I didn't see where we would lose our concealed carry. There is no gloom and doom. If anything happens at all it will be painless.
DRT

Watertown, NY

#13 Jul 26, 2013
spence wrote:
<quoted text>I'm just going by what is written in the law. I didn't see where there would be any fee. I read that it may be done electronically. I didn't see where we would be fingerprinted. I didn't see where we would lose our concealed carry. There is no gloom and doom. If anything happens at all it will be painless.
Soon as ole ANDY has the NYSP write the rules the way he wants, there will be fee's fingrprinting and all kinds of crap. The Law as written is just the begining, its the administrative rules that are going to kill you.
Real agenda

Gouverneur, NY

#14 Jul 26, 2013
There already are fees and fingerprinting. A CCW costs around $150 by the time you wrap it up.

Aside from the obvious changes the NYSAFE Act contains, I don't like how the law has boxed out the local sheriffs departments and judges from the renewal process and given that power solely to the NYSP, a body directly controlled by the Governor's Office. That's the REAL danger to current CCW holders.
spence

Danielson, CT

#15 Jul 26, 2013
Real agenda wrote:
There already are fees and fingerprinting. A CCW costs around $150 by the time you wrap it up.
Aside from the obvious changes the NYSAFE Act contains, I don't like how the law has boxed out the local sheriffs departments and judges from the renewal process and given that power solely to the NYSP, a body directly controlled by the Governor's Office. That's the REAL danger to current CCW holders.
The fees are for the initial permit. If there is a fee for renewal it will be very minimal. They are not going to change the CCW permit. I was told by Jefferson county permit office that NYS doesn't want people carrying openly.
Derp

Gouverneur, NY

#16 Jul 27, 2013
Randy S wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude. Did you not read the law? The county clerk only does the initial license application like they do now. Renewals will be through the State Police.
Actually I did read the law and that's why it's confusing. It says the issuing agency (The County Judge) will remain the issuing agency so that won't change. Meaning you're wrong. The SP won't issue anything. They will simply be in charge of renewal. And no one knows what that means. Also the type written law you keep referring to makes NO mention to fee's, fingerprinting or anything else you claim it does.

So I must ask... have YOU read the law?
Randy S

Gouverneur, NY

#17 Jul 28, 2013
Derp wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I did read the law and that's why it's confusing. It says the issuing agency (The County Judge) will remain the issuing agency so that won't change. Meaning you're wrong. The SP won't issue anything. They will simply be in charge of renewal. And no one knows what that means. Also the type written law you keep referring to makes NO mention to fee's, fingerprinting or anything else you claim it does.
So I must ask... have YOU read the law?
Read the law? I have read it more times than years you have lived. Where did I say the that the SP were going to issue them. I said the County Clerk was were you made the application initially, which it is.

And we do know what renewal means, the rules are already in draft form. What you don't realize is there is the written law, then there is going to be the implementation rules, commonly known as NYCRR. Its in the rules that will explain the procedure of renewal. It even tells you in the law the NYSP has to make rules for renewal.

So dude, crawl back down your rat hole and wait a little bit til the rules get published that will strip you of your unresticted CCW.
wildcater

Carlisle, MA

#18 Jul 28, 2013
spence wrote:
If it ever really happens. It won't be a big deal. Just confirm Your information that is on file now. It may even be done by e mail. Nothing to worry about. I have also called all over. No one knows when it will happen. But according to the law posted above it will be an easy thing. Everyone will retain the same level permit that they now have. We shouldn't argue about it. The facts are plain to read. Our permits will still be concealed carry. It is just for checks and balances. They may find that some permit holders have died. Then they could find out who has those weapons.
My relative went to the county to get one of the new plastic credit card permits a few years ago and turned in his cardboard concealed carry permit, thinking the plastic one would be easier to handle over the years. When he got the plastic one, concealed carry was taken off and sports was put on. Thanks to Judge Richards. Apparently the sports permits only allow you to carry to and from hunting and to and from a firing range. Anyone else have this happen to them? I applied for concealed carry and mine came as a sports only also. I don't think you can get a concealed carry any longer in St. Law Co. thanks to Judge Richards.
Randy S

Gouverneur, NY

#19 Jul 28, 2013
wildcater wrote:
<quoted text>
My relative went to the county to get one of the new plastic credit card permits a few years ago and turned in his cardboard concealed carry permit, thinking the plastic one would be easier to handle over the years. When he got the plastic one, concealed carry was taken off and sports was put on. Thanks to Judge Richards. Apparently the sports permits only allow you to carry to and from hunting and to and from a firing range. Anyone else have this happen to them? I applied for concealed carry and mine came as a sports only also. I don't think you can get a concealed carry any longer in St. Law Co. thanks to Judge Richards.
You can get a full CCW if you have a justifiable reason to need one, like your an LEO.
Real agenda

Gouverneur, NY

#20 Jul 28, 2013
spence wrote:
<quoted text>The fees are for the initial permit. If there is a fee for renewal it will be very minimal. They are not going to change the CCW permit. I was told by Jefferson county permit office that NYS doesn't want people carrying openly.
I think maybe you misunderstood me. The fees I referenced are for the initial application process only. I think there will be a fee for the renewals, despite what anyone says today, but they'll be nominal.

You're correct that NYS does not want open carry, and that's why the ONLY type of permit you can get is a CONCEALED permit. What I think WILL change for the majority of current permit carriers is the administrative restrictions placed on them, such as "sport use only", etc. I think that's why the Governor wants to take the renewal process out of the hands of the county judges, whom he can't directly control.

And for what it's worth, the rules in Jefferson County aren't necessarily the rules in other counties. For example, in Jefferson County you are required to take a handgun safety course before you can be issued your permit, and the way they conduct their interviews is different. The process varies county by county and is up to the issuing body, so generalized comparisons don't really work.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gouverneur Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
tyler douglas out again 3 hr right 5
St. Lawrence County woman sentenced for raping ... 3 hr Smell it 6
Kim Hart 4 hr Wet and Wild 10
Poor dog 17 hr Wow 3
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Fri Lol 16,781
Jordan Lay (Jan '13) Fri Notrious BIG 25
Rensselaer Falls man dies in accident at Gouver... Aug 28 people 1
•••
•••
Gouverneur Dating