First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Able

Baker, LA

#21 Aug 6, 2012
something is not right with valverda.they treat some children like shit.it is a shame what some of these babies go thrugh,as far as score i think that is a rig
Valverda Parent

Euless, TX

#22 Aug 6, 2012
Just watch, wait & see! Then I can say I told you so!

I never said they didn't work hard for what they have accomplished. Because my kids have. They have some awesome faculty there.
Cindy Champagne wrote:
<quoted text>
Pray tell, where do you find out the names of the students who passed and the names of the students who didn't? I didn't know that was public knowledge.
Here is Valverda's school performance scores (SPS) for the last 5 years:
2006-2007: 88
2007-2008: 87.6
2008-2009: 92.9
2009-2010: 97.9
2010-2011: 98.8
High Stakes LEAP Testing,% students performing at or above basic:
2012 English - 91%
2011 English - 81%
2012 Math - 85%
2011 Math - 79%
2012 Science - 78%
2011 Science - 73%
2012 Social Studies - 73%
2011 Social Studies - 72%
Based on all of this data, Valverda has consistently improved year to year. I am sure the faculty, administration and students have worked very, very hard to achieve those results. I am not sure where your perception that scores are declining is coming from, but shame on you for minimizing all the hard work these people have done.
Cindy Champagne

Opelousas, LA

#23 Aug 6, 2012
Valverda Parent wrote:
Just watch, wait & see! Then I can say I told you so!
I never said they didn't work hard for what they have accomplished. Because my kids have. They have some awesome faculty there.
<quoted text>
Yep - awesome kids and awesome faculty. That is why I truly hope you are wrong.
Valverda Parent

Baton Rouge, LA

#24 Aug 6, 2012
I can only hope I am wrong too! But when there is not enough desk, not enough books, not enough teachers & not enough room to fit all these kids at this school because of the transfers. It is going to impact the students academics and it is really sad.
Cindy Champagne wrote:
<quoted text>
ABC123

United States

#25 Aug 6, 2012
Valverda Parent wrote:
I can only hope I am wrong too! But when there is not enough desk, not enough books, not enough teachers & not enough room to fit all these kids at this school because of the transfers. It is going to impact the students academics and it is really sad.
<quoted text>
Doesn't that tell you that the schools in this parish need more financial support? It's hard for a school system to make it on the property tax money the school system gets. Just look at all of the parishes that surround Pointe Coupee. They get support, but I understand all of the parents who have kids at FRA & CHS saying they aren't seeing any of this money. It's sort of a double edged sword, which makes it hard to get things done in this parish.
Valverda Parent

Euless, TX

#26 Aug 6, 2012
Maybe if EVERYONE in PC parish paid that tax that I pay because I live in the Livonia school district they could get alot of financial support. If you don't pay the tax, then don't come to the school that everyone else is supporting.
ABC123 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't that tell you that the schools in this parish need more financial support? It's hard for a school system to make it on the property tax money the school system gets. Just look at all of the parishes that surround Pointe Coupee. They get support, but I understand all of the parents who have kids at FRA & CHS saying they aren't seeing any of this money. It's sort of a double edged sword, which makes it hard to get things done in this parish.
ABC123

United States

#27 Aug 6, 2012
Valverda Parent wrote:
Maybe if EVERYONE in PC parish paid that tax that I pay because I live in the Livonia school district they could get alot of financial support. If you don't pay the tax, then don't come to the school that everyone else is supporting.
<quoted text>
I agree with you, but do you have any idea how fast that tax could be paid off if everyone paid it. It might take another year or two to pay off that debt if everyone paid for it. Then make it permanent for the whole parish to help out all of the schools in the parish. It's going to take everyone coming together in this matter to help things out, because that new tax would have to go to the voters of the parish.
Former Valverda Student

Baton Rouge, LA

#28 Aug 7, 2012
Cindy Champagne wrote:
<quoted text>
Go take a look at the faculty roster for this coming year and compare it to last year. You just may be amazed at the number of years of experience that left in 1 year. And not b/c they were bad teachers, b/c they were very good teachers and finally had enough and got out. Same goes for the high school. And there are more to come.
ughh

Ventress, LA

#29 Aug 7, 2012
Former Valverda Student wrote:
<quoted text>
Go take a look at the faculty roster for this coming year and compare it to last year. You just may be amazed at the number of years of experience that left in 1 year. And not b/c they were bad teachers, b/c they were very good teachers and finally had enough and got out. Same goes for the high school. And there are more to come.
sounds like Fra
Needed

Baton Rouge, LA

#30 Aug 7, 2012
ABC123 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's time you check and see how Ponite Ranks per pupil expenditure. We are always in the top 20 around $12,000+ per pupil when I last checked.
So what will more local money do that will change test scores? It's time the super get's rid of the employees who don't do the job and hire ones who will. Maybe things would change for our children. But this will not happen because it is always about the contract.
Tracey

United States

#31 Aug 9, 2012
My family and I aren't from this area and I feel that my daughter has always been treated fairly at Valverda. When we first moved she attended FRA. After a year, I decided to change her to a public school because I felt that it would provide her the diversity that she will encounter once she enters the "real" world and workforce. Ms. Berry has always taken the time to answer any questions or concerns I might have. Most of the teachers I have encountered seem to be on fire and truly have a passion for education and take pride in the efforts that Valverda has taken to improve and remain the top school in this parish. Despite a hectic schedule, I always let the teachers know that I am serious about my daughter's education. Last nights open house was full of parents and I think the number of parents that I have seen at Valverda are being proactive in their children's education. Because of the faculty and staff, eager students, and parents that participate in their child's education, I feel that Valverda will continue to improve.
The Best World

Jarreau, LA

#32 Aug 9, 2012
Tracey wrote:
My family and I aren't from this area and I feel that my daughter has always been treated fairly at Valverda. When we first moved she attended FRA. After a year, I decided to change her to a public school because I felt that it would provide her the diversity that she will encounter once she enters the "real" world and workforce. Ms. Berry has always taken the time to answer any questions or concerns I might have. Most of the teachers I have encountered seem to be on fire and truly have a passion for education and take pride in the efforts that Valverda has taken to improve and remain the top school in this parish. Despite a hectic schedule, I always let the teachers know that I am serious about my daughter's education. Last nights open house was full of parents and I think the number of parents that I have seen at Valverda are being proactive in their children's education. Because of the faculty and staff, eager students, and parents that participate in their child's education, I feel that Valverda will continue to improve.
You will be ok for now until its time to go LHS them you might want to back to FRA or CHS or out the parish.
Tracey

United States

#33 Aug 9, 2012
The Best World wrote:
<quoted text>You will be ok for now until its time to go LHS them you might want to back to FRA or CHS or out the parish.
Sadly, we will be leaving the parish. My child just began 5th grade and if all goes as planned, we are leaving the parish before she begins junior high. If we do stay for some reason, I will put her in private school in BR. Her 4th grade teacher, Jo Ann Hebert was fantastic and we are very excited about her teacher this year. She seems very eager this year and I contribute that to the school!
Tracey

United States

#34 Aug 9, 2012
Able wrote:
something is not right with valverda.they treat some children like shit.it is a shame what some of these babies go thrugh,as far as score i think that is a rig
Able, please get involved with the PTO. Debbie Butler is a really nice lady. Also, have you tried to talk with the teacher or Ms. Berry? I make it a priority now to meet with the teacher at the beginning of every school year to discuss what I expect from my child and how the teacher can help us reach that goal. It really seems to work! It took me a couple of years to learn to navigate, but I think it helps. So many of the teachers are used to being attacked and blamed...bridging that gap has really helped us.
rougn mom

Ventress, LA

#35 Aug 12, 2012
Rougon is a great school!!! All my children are honor roll students. The teachers that we have had are doing an excellant job considering the lack of funding from the state and support of the parents. Fact is it starts at home with the parent(s). We cant expect them to raise our children. Alot of parents now days seem to believe school is a daycare for their kids and do not continue education at home. These teachers work hard for our children and we should support them not bash them. People are quick to raise hell when there kids fails or gets properly displined but are they involved in everyday issues. Do you keep lines of communcation open with the teacher? Probaly not!!
Livonia ignorance

Baker, LA

#36 Aug 13, 2012
It is true that until some parents take an active role in their children's lives, then they are almost destined to fail. What makes it hard is the fact that many of these parents are also uneducated also, so them trying to lead by example is difficult at best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glynn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
i think my girlfriend may be lying about cancer. 4 hr Jenna Tellya 2
New Roads mayor calls public records lawsuit po... 6 hr wakeup 39
Wanna try this just for fun!! (Mar '13) Mon Betty 1,464
Incompetent Imbeciles Running Everything Mon Chumly 3
Laser Hair Removal Mon justme 1
Half of Obama's audience walk out during speech Mon willy one eye 2
Jims Mon Paula 19
Glynn Dating
Find my Match

Glynn Jobs