I appreciate that you are interested in learning perspectives. That was my goal when I first came on topix.<quoted text>
Thank you! So is it that they want their union to be called a marriage? If you called it what it is, a Civil Union, would it be a problem then?
What is your definition of unhealthy? I am confused on it causing a dead end. If the entire population were same sex relationships then ok I can see that being a possibility, however, this would never be the case. If anything we have too many people in the world as it is. I can't comment on the religious factor because that's determined on a personal belief and fortunately in AMerica we have separation of church and state. But to say that we would violate historic practice is false. If you research a time in history concerning the Romans you may be shocked to learn a few things.
Do you feel that a parentless child will be better off than one who has a loving parent to raise them? Or that a child raised by an adopted parent is worse off than one that has their natural parent?
Thanks for the discussion!
1. You understand correctly, I do not agree in calling gay unions marriage. Marriage defines a unique, important and distinct relationship. Gays have every opportunity to pursue rights, just as other groups (minorities, handicapped and yes, married people) have.
2. Anal sex is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning. From a gay friendly site;
"Anal sex has a number of health risks. Anal intercourse is the riskiest form of sexual activity for several reasons, including the following:"
3. 96% of marriages result in children. Gay unions birth 0%. That is what I mean by a dead end. It is not a matter of population control, it is a matter of distinguishing relationships. You need to ask why gays do not want to establish their own identity on their own merits as every other minority has done.
4. I didn't reference a religious doctrine. I referred to a civilized sensitivity to culture and religions. Nor is it inaccurate to reference 'historic practice'. Marriage has been a part of every single culture in recorded human history. From start to finish of that culture. Gay 'marriage' has never been accepted in a single culture from start to finish. You referenced Roman culture. I am very familiar with it. Gay 'marriage' was never legal. In fact, when it did briefly arise, it was mocked by political peers. Additionally, why did gay 'marriage' not establish itself when it did happen and spread?
5. The simple facts are that on average, a child outside a biological family setting is worse off. I have a problem equating any situation with nature's design. A gay couple ALWAYS deprives a child of one gender and at least one parent. I have a severe problem with a gay couple DELIBERATELY birthing a child without both biological parents to raise them.
Thank you for your honest questions!