Red-light cameras: Carol Stream police officer joined Redflex c...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

After Carol Stream Police Chief Rick Willing recommended his town hire Redflex Traffic Systems, village officials approved a contract with the Arizona-based red-light camera vendor in December 2007.
Comments
1 - 20 of 178 Comments Last updated Jul 22, 2013
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Willing and able

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Disgusting...this red light camera scam has got to go...to prison. If their not making enough money they shorten the yellow...right turn on red - don't do it...you will get a ticket no matter what. This scam had got to go!
CHICAGO SUBURB P O

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

RED LIGHT CAMERAS ARE SIMPLY PUT "ANOTHER WAY FOR STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT TO REACH INTO THE POCKETS OF TAX PAYERS WHO ARE ALREADY STRUGGLING TO MAKE ENDS MEET, THESE CAMERAS ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A MONEY MAKING MACHINE, AND FURTHER MORE DO NOT ENFORCE THE LAW EQUALLY AS LOCAL OFFICIALS RETAIN THE POWER TO CHOOSE WHO IS TICKETED AND WHO GETS A PASS"
CHICAGO SUBURB P O

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

TO WILLING AND ABLE, I COULD NOT AGREE WITH YOU MORE, AS THESE LOCAL UNITS OF GOVERNMENT RECEIVE INCREASED FUNDING THROUGH THE USE OF THESE "RED LIGHT CAMERAS" WHICH ARE "FOR YOUR SAFETY" THESE COMMUNITIES WILL NOT BALANCE THEIR BUDGET, THEY WILL SIMPLY CONTINUE WITH THE OUT OF CONTROL SPENDING AND HIRING OF FRIENDS AND FAMILY, BUSINESS AS USUAL IN COOK COUNTY ILLINOIS.
Constitution

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

I am very upset to read the comments of officials in Carol Stream. They are blind! I think that there should be an uprising of residents to have these contracts nullified, given that the former chief took a job with the company that received the contracts. It would be interesting to know what other police officers are working for Redflex.
Quid Pro Quo

Hinsdale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Who cares, no one said anything about Former Chicago Police Superintendent Terry Hilliard when he brought the tasers to Chicago and then retired and the same year he got hired by the taser company as a "consultant".
If anyone had said anything, Jesse Jackson, Reverend Meeks, Al Sharpton and the entire Rainbow Push Coalition would have protested on his behalf. Yes, Terry Hilliard is African American so that was ok.
Taser International

Hinsdale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Constitution

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

I do not live in Chicago; what they do there and what the people put up with is their concern. What I demand in ethics from my officials and the people who are paid from my tax dollars--yes, even though we do not have a property tax, we have other taxes and fees--may be different. I care, Quid Pro Quo, and I think you are going to discover that many people in Carol Stream care.
Red White and Blue

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Quid Pro Quo wrote:
Who cares, no one said anything about Former Chicago Police Superintendent Terry Hilliard when he brought the tasers to Chicago and then retired and the same year he got hired by the taser company as a "consultant".
If anyone had said anything, Jesse Jackson, Reverend Meeks, Al Sharpton and the entire Rainbow Push Coalition would have protested on his behalf. Yes, Terry Hilliard is African American so that was ok.
Red light cameras...focus. Tasers bad, we are (focus) talking about RED LIGHT CAMERAS... I understand the Taser situation but we are (focus) talking about the red light cameras...oh flog
Carol Stream Resident

Villa Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Judged:

I live in Carol Stream and anyone who drives on North Avenue (IL64) through our village during the day.knows it is nothing more than a speed trap, now with red light cameras to boot. I think our police force has been turned into nothing more than a revenue generating source for the village. As far as the former police chief and the local politicians response, it doesn't surprise me. I moved here from Pennsylvania 20 years ago and have concluded that Cook County is run by shady Democrats and we living in DuPage are monopolized by equally as shady Republicans.
Another CS opinion

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2009

Judged:

I was interested in knowing a bit more about Redflex, since the story said the former chief researched four companies. I have lived here a long time, and especially recently, our village board promotes shopping locally. I know that no company in Carol Stream sells red light cameras, but wouldn't we want to give our business to a company at least in the United States to keep our dollars as local as possible? Why did we have to give our contract to an Australian company? How can they constantly tell us to "shop Carol Stream" when they put our tax dollars into the pockets of a bunch of kangaroos?
Disgusted in Carol Stream

West Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

I've lived in Carol Stream for many years and the first thing you learn is to stay off North Avenue or risk getting a ticket for the sting of the week. Anything the police can get you for, they will. Unless, of course, you're on the insane Carol Stream Board and then they just get what they want. I've always felt that the board thinks it's free from suspicion, but now I'm sure they know they've done wrong and they're right in the public eye. Shame on this town for doing this to fine people. It's a shame we don't have a decent board, a decent village manager nor a decent village president. Hopefully, this can all be investigated and proper measures be taken to deal with this "coincidence" with the police chief and his brand new spanking job. Enough of this embarrassment for Carol Stream. Hasn't the village board done enough to ruin our reputation? Why don't they all take a permanent vacation and we'll start the elections all over again. But please; no one currently on the village board, or the current manager of the village need apply.
CHICAGO SUBURB P O

Niles, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

folks, aside from taking dangerous and drunken drivers off of our roadways, and catching the occasional wanted criminal, it would appear that the majority of minor violations such as a red light violator, or a driver traveling a few miles per hour over the speed limit have now become the main targets for towns to collect money... It wasn't always this way, for years the concept was to target reckless activity which often resulted in accidents causing injury and loss of life, now we are down to red light cameras, before we know it, there will be cameras at every intersection, maybe even stop signs as well. This situation is completely out of control. According to the Illinois Vehicle Code, traffic fines were meant to be a deterrent, not a money making system for government.
I want out

West Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

We have lived in Carol Stream for 30 plus years. For the most part, the police are always on North Ave.(maybe I've seen them in my neighborhood once or twice a year). Isn't it amazing that Chief of Police Rick Willing is now working for Redflex, the very company that provides red light traps in Carol Stream and was a good friend of our now Village Manager,Joe Breinig. How about giving the police officers such other duties as ticketing the cars that park on the sidewalks overnight, everynight, even though their cable programs show definite signs on the TV saying that it is illegal to do this, huh, right, Mr. Breinig? How did this come around? And the audacity of Trustee Pamela Fenner to spurt out that she knew of no intntion of Police Chief Willing to get a job at Redflex after his recommendation that the Village of Carol Stream go with this firm for it's 5 cameras at 2 intersections. If Pamela Fenner would quit cackling and interrupting at all the town meetings, maybe she'd learn something. We would have definitely been moved out of Carol Stream by now, had the economy been better. We'll wait partly because we probably couldn't sell this house to anyone with any knowledge as to the antics that go on in Carol Stream. And by the way, what's this "SHOP CAROL STREAM"? There seems to have been a mass exodus of stores here lately, so I don't think we could shop Carol Stram even if we wanted. The leaders of this town has put us all in shame and the once reputable and nice town now has a reputation of sleaze, and traps. Not a very good name for a town.
rob mccolley

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

is it illegal to run red lights?

no!

is there any danger in running red lights?

no!

obviously this is just government corruption.

instead of digging in the pockets of harmless red-light-runners, the government should go after the real criminals, like greedy muckraking publishers and their third rate baseball teams.
Watcher

Chariton, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Alert Carol Stream-After 16 years in that town I can warn you to stay off of North Avenue, Gary Avenue , and Kuhn Road. They are 24/7 speed traps and now have 5 red light/right turn cameras to boot! They will get you for sure. Good news though-all future police retirees will have full employment with the red light company-just ask tour former Chief or a Village trustee.
slamdunc

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Former vice-president Dick Cheney recommended Halliburton (Brown & Root) to the Joint Chiefs and the Pentagon. He retired from his position, and became the CEO of Halliburton (with a $6,000,000 annual salary).
This happens all the time.
Frank

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Constitution wrote:
I am very upset to read the comments of officials in Carol Stream. They are blind! I think that there should be an uprising of residents to have these contracts nullified, given that the former chief took a job with the company that received the contracts. It would be interesting to know what other police officers are working for Redflex.
So you are telling me if you were in the same situation you would turn down a reasonable offer for a job because 2 years ago you recommended them? I hardly see the conflict. Granted red light cameras are a scam but that is a different argument.
Impeach Obama

Wheaton, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

There is a law that says that you must stop at an intersection for a red light before the white line and stay there until the light changes to green. If you are turning right on red, you must still come to a COMPLETE stop before the white line before turning right while proceeding with caution. This is for your safety and the safety of others around the intersection. If you disobey the rule and if there is an electronic device that captures your actions, then you should recieve a ticket. Maybe $100 is too much, but you should still be ticketed. Because of those red light cameras, I am more carefull around intersections and know that I won't be ticketed because i follow those simple rules.
Let the slamming begin.
Welcome Comrades

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

slamdunc wrote:
Former vice-president Dick Cheney recommended Halliburton (Brown & Root) to the Joint Chiefs and the Pentagon. He retired from his position, and became the CEO of Halliburton (with a $6,000,000 annual salary).
This happens all the time.
Oh, so then is okay! What a dope, typical Illinois sucker/voter.
Welcome Comrades

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Judged:

Impeach Obama wrote:
There is a law that says that you must stop at an intersection for a red light before the white line and stay there until the light changes to green. If you are turning right on red, you must still come to a COMPLETE stop before the white line before turning right while proceeding with caution. This is for your safety and the safety of others around the intersection. If you disobey the rule and if there is an electronic device that captures your actions, then you should recieve a ticket. Maybe $100 is too much, but you should still be ticketed. Because of those red light cameras, I am more carefull around intersections and know that I won't be ticketed because i follow those simple rules.
Let the slamming begin.
So now trucking companies are telling drivers, Do Not Ever Turn On Red!

Slowing down traffic flow and wasting fuel.

I think they should just put spike strips that pop up when the light turns red. If it's all about public safety as they say.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Glen Ellyn Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Glen Ellyn People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Glen Ellyn News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Glen Ellyn