Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,030

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Are You Kidding

United States

#86010 Aug 21, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>If you have freedom of religion you have the right to be free from religion as well.
I hate it when you christians keep lying. Our founding fathers where not christians and they where against the church.
http://freethought.mbdojo.com/foundingfathers...
read their words on religion. Most of them where agnostic, believing in a suprem being but not the christian version.(how I am)
It is also a lie that the people came here for religious freedom, SOME DID, but MOST came here for financial reasons.
If history is to be told it should be told truthfully, the majority of the people on the mayflower where not christians and did not join the mayflower compact.
Name calling? Stop lying and trying to force your cult on every part of society and I will stop telling people the truth about your cult.
We should teach Satanism in public schools and Muslim, Buddhism, Hinduism anything except the hate filled violence loving christian cult!
My original comments were not in defense of teaching Christianity or any other religion in school. My original defense relates to the continued name calling and bashing of Christianity. Do you need to agree with me? No, of course not. I also am not required to agree with you. I have said this numerous times. You have every right to believe in whatever you wish and as strongly as you wish. I really don't care what you believe. I DO care when you attack religion and Christianity. I do not attack you. I am not trying to force anything on you, but I will defend what I believe in.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#86011 Aug 21, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
My original comments were not in defense of teaching Christianity or any other religion in school. My original defense relates to the continued name calling and bashing of Christianity. Do you need to agree with me? No, of course not. I also am not required to agree with you. I have said this numerous times. You have every right to believe in whatever you wish and as strongly as you wish. I really don't care what you believe. I DO care when you attack religion and Christianity. I do not attack you. I am not trying to force anything on you, but I will defend what I believe in.
And I am not attacking you. I will however attack the vast majority of christians who lie about what we do, especially when what they claim we do is what the christian religion has a history of doing, and attack us including threats of violence.
One thing, while many christins may be good people, they want to claim that christian religion is good and every other religion is bad with out knowing or choosing to ignore the actions of the christian religion and the horrors done in the name of the christian religion.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#86012 Aug 21, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a standard. If you claim to be a christian and you TRY to live by Matthew 25:32-45 I give you respect for your beliefs. HOWEVER if you cross the street to avoid the homeless guy and then state how you are good people because you go to church and say you are good because you have a nice home and new car and fine jewelry I will give you scorn.
A true story, I was riding a bicycle for exercise and stopped to rest on a bus stop bench, in front of Cape Coral First Baptist church. I was there for about 5 minutes when the police car pulled up and they started giving me a hard time. When I proved that I am not homeless the police officers told me that the GOOD people in the church did not want BUMS sitting on the bench (on public property, not church property) so I had to move along. When I got home I called to file a complaint against the officers and was told that the church PAYS for SECURITY. Guess that country club does not want any one who does not drive a caddy
Are You Kidding

United States

#86013 Aug 21, 2012
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I have a standard. If you claim to be a christian and you TRY to live by Matthew 25:32-45 I give you respect for your beliefs. HOWEVER if you cross the street to avoid the homeless guy and then state how you are good people because you go to church and say you are good because you have a nice home and new car and fine jewelry I will give you scorn.
A true story, I was riding a bicycle for exercise and stopped to rest on a bus stop bench, in front of Cape Coral First Baptist church. I was there for about 5 minutes when the police car pulled up and they started giving me a hard time. When I proved that I am not homeless the police officers told me that the GOOD people in the church did not want BUMS sitting on the bench (on public property, not church property) so I had to move along. When I got home I called to file a complaint against the officers and was told that the church PAYS for SECURITY. Guess that country club does not want any one who does not drive a caddy

Based on many of the experiences you have indicated on this forum, I can understand having a negative attitude. I just want to assure you that every Christian is not like that! I know people who would give you the shirt off their back, get out of bed and come to your house at 2:00 a.m. just because you needed them, buy you groceries when they barely had enough for themselves, etc., etc.

I know there are people who profess to be Christians who aren't, but there are others who profess to be Christians who live their lives based on their beliefs and have good hearts. Just remember when you bash ALL Christians, you are bashing all of those good ones too.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86014 Aug 21, 2012
filth wrote:
The arrogance of Christians and their needy self serving "I have to save man-kind" bullchit makes me want to vomit. There are many many many REAL causes to get involved in than pushing salvation in an after life. Get a life losers!
here is another probable nonbeliever who generalizes and condemns all christians, instead of focusing on the ones with the worst views and actions. and another one who is obscene and cowardly in his spelling. another one I must say I do not feel should be taken as representing atheists very well! since every atheist has only the one thing necessarily in common with other atheists - not believing in a God - there are no ethical or civility or grammar or other types of stylestic or substantive standards that can be named or enforced against another atheist. no one is less an atheist for this unrelated differences. but one can separate onesself from the offensive ones, at least.

I condemn the offensive atheists a bit more -because I think that in substance they may be correct, and yet they ruin their case with their nastiness. there are indeed better causes than propagandizing about an afterlife. it would be much better if the decent Christians and the decent atheists and other nonbelievers (secular humanist types, in particular) would be in coalitions on many of these causes, in order to form a majority. decent Christians should not be repudiated by atheists.

perhaps you should list some of the good causes, and consider whether you attitude and language is useful or counterproductive in recruiting Christians to support those good causes.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86015 Aug 21, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
Based on many of the experiences you have indicated on this forum, I can understand having a negative attitude. I just want to assure you that every Christian is not like that! I know people who would give you the shirt off their back, get out of bed and come to your house at 2:00 a.m. just because you needed them, buy you groceries when they barely had enough for themselves, etc., etc.
I know there are people who profess to be Christians who aren't, but there are others who profess to be Christians who live their lives based on their beliefs and have good hearts. Just remember when you bash ALL Christians, you are bashing all of those good ones too.
thank you so much for expressing it much better than I do. I am both in a rush and mightily annoyed at the nastier types of atheists on here and on the atheist forum. you well written comment is very helpful, very sensible, very kind.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86016 Aug 21, 2012
this is an example of the link between the bad police and bad religion, also probably linked to bad folks in local government. all need to be reformed. the good cops are reluctant to speak out, so citizens need to form coalitions to reform police, county governments, and the political system. do you think there are enough nonbelievers to do it all by ourselves?
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I have a standard. If you claim to be a christian and you TRY to live by Matthew 25:32-45 I give you respect for your beliefs. HOWEVER if you cross the street to avoid the homeless guy and then state how you are good people because you go to church and say you are good because you have a nice home and new car and fine jewelry I will give you scorn.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86017 Aug 21, 2012
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
that was to SP. I think you will find my views and yours are similar on the issue of civility. I do not like the name calling on either side. I try to chide the atheists who are chidable, and can be made to see reason. but I feud with the really nasty and obscene ones, and get called a theist and also get falsely accused of hypocrisy when I am not applying a double standard! very funny. These nasty atheists applaud my comments attacking an obscene Christian, and get nasty when I criticize them for being obscene and false accusers. There are about four of them who are the worst, with their bad language and consistent generalizations, and hateful emotionalism. There are others who are what I call chidable. I try to make friends with them, including SP. It is Skeptic who is the worst, and those who are offensively obscene and nasty, and supportive of his methods.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86018 Aug 21, 2012
Wiccan man wrote:
You guys don't want to talk about why it should or shouldn't be in our schools you back woods fools want to argue about if there is or isn't a God. You all make me laugh. You don't even have the brains to talk about why or why not to have religion taught In our schools. Knowing the back woods you are you pro ly say your religion is what will be taught. Your wrong red necks their going to teach your kids Wicca
Yes Wicca ot is a religion and it believes in God also. Suck on that not a Baptist in schools but Wiccan.
people get off topic all the time on topix. it would be boring to stay strictly on topic. and this is a related issue. those of us who do not believe in the Biblical God have a strong reason to not want that religion spread through propaganda in schools, subsidized by our tax money. and those who are very superstitious and also have a voting majority to elect a school board to hire a principal who will hire a fundie teacher, also have a strong motive - to have their version of the religion taught. there are not enough centrists on here.
your comment was interesting and profocative, however, thanks for stirring things up a bit with the Wiccan idea.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86019 Aug 21, 2012
Spaceship earth_ss wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post, Shadrach Meshach and Abednego was ordered to say such a pledge when the sound of trumpets were play and refused. The flag is a symbol of veneration to God and country, yet Christians associate the flag with their God also. So I agree that it is more in line with the values of Iran and Syria. Daniel 3:15,16.
the flag should be a symbol of loyalty to the united states, and the principles in the Constitution - not to God, and not to the rightwing GOP. not to swiftboating birthers trying to slander our President like they did John Kerry. also not to the FOR (Friends of Rapists, who think it was the woman's fault if she did not get beat up and knifed or shot by resisting)
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86020 Aug 21, 2012
I think you and SP are both too extreme in yoru claims. the leaders of colonies established religion,k for freedom of religion for themselves and to impose their religon on others, in many cases.
The founders had enough sense to protect the nation from Establishment. even in some state legislatures, the Constitution would not have been ratified without the promise that the first Congress would add a bill of rights including both freedom of religion and non-establishment. Freedom from religion is implied in non-Establishment. There were deists and probably a couple of sort of agnostics or at least lukewarm deists among the founders. do not overstate your case.
Are You Kidding wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually freedom "of" religion is a constitutionally guaranteed right of the First Amendment. I noticed you wrote freedom "from" religion which has a totally different meaning. It also states Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free excercise thereof. This was a means of separating church and state and ensuring a national church could not be established and to ensure no religion would benefit over another. Four of those involved in creating the constitution were ministers and several others were sons of ministers. The vast majority belonged to a church and considered themselves Christians.
The purpose of making that statement in the Treaty of Tripoli was based on separation of church and state. "No pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interuption of harmony existing between the two countries". As this was a treaty between two countries, they had to ensure this separation.
The Pilgrims who came to America on the Mayflower were seeking freedom of religion and escape from religious persecution. They sought a new life in America where they could practice religion in the manner they chose.
I will not lower myself to call you names. That is part of your problem. You can't just state your point of view. You must call people names and be totally disrespectful of anyone elses views or opinions.
doctrine of incorporation and 14th amendment protect us from states and local goernments imposing an Established religion, since we have rights that must be protected from state and local governments, as well as Congress. otherwise we would be back to the articles of confederation, with no national standards. states rights cover up terrible oppression in our history. human rights and individual liberties are the genuine values to protect.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86021 Aug 21, 2012
Spaceship earth_ss wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post, Shadrach Meshach and Abednego was ordered to say such a pledge when the sound of trumpets were play and refused. The flag is a symbol of veneration to God and country, yet Christians associate the flag with their God also. So I agree that it is more in line with the values of Iran and Syria. Daniel 3:15,16.
excuse me, but you do not sound like the se I know.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86022 Aug 21, 2012
SMACK wrote:
Everyone that wants religion taught in school wants it to be christianity taught. To be fair and not be sued for discrimination all faiths would be taught. Which version of christianity do you want taught? Look into exactly what our founding fathers thought about religion and government seperation.
good comment. but the folks who are for it are not likely to be students of an accurate history. they probably got their version of the founders from Pat Robertson and his ilk.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86023 Aug 21, 2012
I can imagine what you think about the stuff that is being discussed about Ryan and Akin and Mo politics and the GOP platform that makes no exception for incest or rape! it is time for decent Christians to join with nonbelievers in opposing the evil rightwing extremists - who are woman haters and blame the woman for tempting them, I bet! old leches who think they are pure because they only rape their wives.... some of them actually objected to state laws establishing the right of a wife to protest being ratped by her husband!
pgg13 wrote:
<quoted text>. There is no god. I volunteer at my local shelter and I councel rape victims. I have done more good deeds in my 36 years than I can count. As for my christian counterparts, I don't need to toot my horn or be promised any heaven to do what every human should do. Ridiculous!
wronged

Morgantown, KY

#86024 Aug 21, 2012
Anyone who does something for rape or abused victims , is good and I am sure will reap the reward from it , just as anyone who does any good will . Rape is rape no matter what form it comes from. It is a thing no woman or child should ever have to go thru. It is one of those bad things that we sometimes wonder why ever happens. So no law , in no way should make this right for anyone to be able to take advantage of another, in this manner.
straight up

Glasgow, KY

#86025 Aug 21, 2012
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
That is interesting, when photon exits the core after being mixed with other particles retransmitted to the surface are the particles and photon mixed adding more fuel to burn as it reaches the surface of the sun add to increase its temperature.
well sounds like to me you are way out there! some chemical inbalance or such! Reality check...you are on earth not mars
curious

Clay City, KY

#86026 Aug 21, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Great post!
THEY don't WANT it... WE Do!
Um they wanted it out and they got it. They don't want it put back, and are probably gonna get their way on that to. FAIRNESS TO ALL, TO EVERYONE, their should be no side taking just trying not offend people, but they are offending people, The people who want it put back. Like ME. They say they could get sued. Well I say the people whom they offended when they removed everything IMPORTANT, should file a law suit. It's only fair. Try not to kiss the a$$ of those with money to offend the ones with MORALS. BIG MISTAKE.

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86027 Aug 21, 2012
straight up wrote:
<quoted text>well sounds like to me you are way out there! some chemical inbalance or such! Reality check...you are on earth not mars
That was a question to Q, one of our more prestidous scientific minds here on this tread. Yes, just trying to understand some of the topics that are being discussed by the educated minds here.

Do you think electrons are waves of frequencies?

My origianl question.

ans:

Right above the surface of the Sun, something strange happens. The Sun becomes extremely hot again, this time it is 1.5 to 2 million degrees. Cooler than the center of the Sun, but not by very much! The reason for the extremely hot outer layer (called the "corona") is a mystery that hasn't been solved by the scientists yet. They have several theories that could explain it, but they haven't determined which theory, or combination of theories is the correct answer. So the solar physicists are still working on that problem.

http://solar-center.stanford.edu/FAQ/Qhowhot....

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

#86028 Aug 21, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>Spaceship earth_ss wrote:
<quoted text>

the flag should be a symbol of loyalty to the united states, and the principles in the Constitution - not to God, and not to the rightwing GOP. not to swiftboating birthers trying to slander our President like they did John Kerry. also not to the FOR (Friends of Rapists, who think it was the woman's fault if she did not get beat up and knifed or shot by resisting )
HF said:
the flag should be a symbol of loyalty to the united states, and the principles in the Constitution - not to God.

I agree to your statement. My response was to use some biblical analogy to respond to Mike D. comments. Sometimes I say things that may seem to cross over to the fundie world, just trying to communicate using their books or websites.

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

#86029 Aug 21, 2012
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. psalm 23:5 My family receipt Rocks!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glasgow Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 8 min American Lady 153,444
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 15 min House Call Dr Tyrone 4,876
Scott kohl youtube 38 min Lucy 46
Does anyone know megan elmore? (Aug '09) 58 min Lmao 10
Rustic/Country Wedding Venues in or near Barren... 1 hr MeMe 7
C Eaton a veteran 1 hr gun packer 13
Mark myers 2 hr Gift 20
What do men that have had affair really think o... (Jan '12) 11 hr lol 1,001
Voting for Doty or Trautman? 18 hr urgone 68
Doty and Jeff Jessie Wed Were in 16
•••
•••
•••

Glasgow Jobs