Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#822 Aug 5, 2012
There IS a nurse's union, but they won't even begin to help you unless you're a member. I was also told that even if you are a member, they can't help you unless there's a shop steward at the place where you work.

I'm going to bring up what may be a hot topic, but what I've observed is that there's almost a cartel in nursing of certain groups that won't even speak English all the time at the nurse's station. These same groups are very cliquish, and will and do bring false accusations against nurses. Don't get me wrong... two of the nurses who threw me under the bus where Caucasian. But one of them exploited nurses from a culture where they're very glad to be in the U.S., glad to work for little money, and under conditions that were proven to clearly be out of compliance with Licensing and Certification... but the BRN didn't care! The BRN and their investigator just did NOTHING.

I'm not against any culture, but when people from any culture allow themselves to be exploited, it brings all cultures down. And I HAVE noticed across all cultures that there's ageism going on. It's just cheaper, and brings higher salaries to the top echelon, to exploit nurses who are too afraid to stick up for themselves, whether they're young, in a new culture, or just don't care.
suki

Scottsdale, AZ

#823 Aug 5, 2012
Exactly WHAT did I steal wrote:
There IS a nurse's union, but they won't even begin to help you unless you're a member. I was also told that even if you are a member, they can't help you unless there's a shop steward at the place where you work.
I'm going to bring up what may be a hot topic, but what I've observed is that there's almost a cartel in nursing of certain groups that won't even speak English all the time at the nurse's station. These same groups are very cliquish, and will and do bring false accusations against nurses. Don't get me wrong... two of the nurses who threw me under the bus where Caucasian. But one of them exploited nurses from a culture where they're very glad to be in the U.S., glad to work for little money, and under conditions that were proven to clearly be out of compliance with Licensing and Certification... but the BRN didn't care! The BRN and their investigator just did NOTHING.
I'm not against any culture, but when people from any culture allow themselves to be exploited, it brings all cultures down. And I HAVE noticed across all cultures that there's ageism going on. It's just cheaper, and brings higher salaries to the top echelon, to exploit nurses who are too afraid to stick up for themselves, whether they're young, in a new culture, or just don't care.
You don't need to say anymore! We are quite familiar with that particular culture. They will lie through their teeth. They cover for each other. They are rude to our patients. Oh, I know exactly what you are talking about! They will "work" as many hours as possible to be able to take their retirement (as well as vacations) in their homeland. America is just being used. We have seen the nursing care diminish in the hospitals where they are the monopoly of people. I have made semi-friends with some that are more Americanized and they have told me to my face how they are brought over and their recruiter makes a fee!
Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#824 Aug 5, 2012
Suki... you and I are on the same page more and more. I'm glad I hung in there... please excuse my typo... I meant to say "were Caucasian".

About those recruiter fees, what do you want to bet that they're never reported to the IRS, or, in the State of CA, the Franchise Tax Board?

I'm thinking this is like Al Capone... it's gonna take the tax people to bring down the criminals in healthcare. I'm completely serious about that.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#825 Aug 5, 2012
And, oh... for the record... it was a young, natural blonde, Caucasian, native born American LVN who told me she hoped she didn't live past 60. SIXTY!! At the time she told me that, I was 48. I looked her straight in the eye and said, "Well, that means I guess I only have 12 years left?" At least she stammered as she told me I didn't "look" 48. How IS 48 supposed to look, anyway? Anyway, it was totally ageist.

I've even heard of RN's being forced into evaluatios for Alzheimers... and at the place where I SAW that happening, drugs were being stolen (PROVEN!!) and that nurse was not involved in the least. We really have to kick some butt on this ageism thing, because it's real & it's ugly.
Boris

Houston, TX

#826 Aug 6, 2012
I was asked last week to surender my license due to a state jail felony. I made a mistake and i understand the consequences. I wanted to know if anybody here surrendered their license and got it back. I dont know if i have a choice to surrender or not. It's a real pain pain the butt.
TxMedRgr

Fairport, NY

#827 Aug 7, 2012
The Texas Board of Nursing is evil, pure and simple, even my attorney who used to work for them says so. No matter what the facts they feel compelled to ruin your life. I have been fighting them for two years over an incident in which I never even saw the patient in question, the patient refused to come to the infirmary (this was a prison) and he died 36 hours after I was off duty, but yet the TBON feels some how it is my fault. Are there any groups in Texas which advocate against the TBON? The TBON seems to have no controls on them whatsoever.
Jackie

Bradenton, FL

#828 Aug 7, 2012
Carrie wrote:
The Ohio BON robbed me of my career even after spending $3500 on an attorney, which the board originally said no no you don't need to get an attorney involved this is minor,$500 in fines, and a few hundred on required classes and background checks to get my license back. I was a fairly new RN and began working for a home care company. The director would have me turn my paper work into her and then she would come back to me and would say this needs dated for this date and so on. I was young and stupid. Well after I turned them in for Medicare/ Medicare fraud I ended up getting hurt and was then fired. A few weeks later I get a letter from the BON stating that I falsified documentation on several occasions while working for this agency. I was furious and when the investigator called he I specifically asked if I needed to get an attorney he said and I quote, "oh no this is just a standard inquiry it is a minor allegation we have to investigate every complaint." so like the young idiot I was I believed him and answered his questions and told him exactly what happened. Well I heard nothing for almost 2 years and then bam I get the notice of opportunity for hearing. Well I freaked out and got on line and the next day an attorney contacted me and we talked. Well close to $5000 later I under went a 9 month suspension, which was extended because I don't have the money to finish their requirements for reinstatement, had to pay a fine, do classes, resubmit my background check, and apply for reinstatement. After all that is done I have to be on probation for a year and a half on top of having permanent practice restrictions.
I have never been convicted of a crime, I've never used or sold drugs, I certainly did not defraud anybody or have any financial gain, I was not negligent with my care no one was injured or had any issues with my care, and I did not kill anyone. For goodness sake Casey Anthony got off easier than I did. To top things off my goal in nursing was to specialize in ER/SANE nursing and now I am finding out I can't do that because it requires a license that is free and clear of restrictions. WHAT all because dates were wrong dates I was told I had to put on the paper.
It is unjust and wrong, don't they have actual incompetent nurses they can harass and lie too. I agree BON is evil and drunk with power. My question is who polices them, how does one bring charges against the BON who investigates them.
If you have any helpful hints for me please email me at fozzydas@yahoo.com
Hi my name is Jackie and I too was railroaded by my BON in Florida. I don't have any answers for you because I am also faced with the same career problems. I strongly suggest we all combine our efforts into one big class action suit. This has nothing to do with revenge it has to do with fairness and due process. There is no due process when you are told you need $100,000 + to defend your license. In criminal law if you cannot afford an attorney one will be provided. Administrative Law ignores physical evidence and sanctions you based on targeted allegations against you and your character. There is something so wrong with this and the incentive for the BON to continue can easily be traced to money and shrinking state budgets. This increasing trend of administrative misconduct, abuse, and power over professional lives without due cause has to be brought to light.
suki

Scottsdale, AZ

#829 Aug 7, 2012
Ok who do we go to? How do we have the higher ups in government get our attention? We all know what is going on in our various hospitals, LTC's etc all across the country. How do we get started standing up for ourselves and the patients. Don't forget the patients are harmed in the end. The BON in each state portrays to be there for the public but each and everyone of the nurses know different. Don't we? It is all a gimmick, a scheme. We are the worker bees that take all the blame, the shame and suffer the consequences.
James

Wheat Ridge, CO

#830 Aug 7, 2012
Re: DUI. The Boards of Nsg in all states do not concern themselves with your individual issues. They can and probably will wipe out your carrer without any subjectivity to your specific case. Nurses are left to find other means of employment. We are left bitter and resentful that the Board (presumably nurses themselves) treat us like drunken misfits who can't be trusted ever again. AND THEY WONDER WHY THERE IS A NURSING SHORTAGE?! They are (as one person commented) the typical power-hungry back stabbing bitches that we deplore in the hospital. In many opinions I have sought, they are making egregious mistakes blindly and without any long term thought process.

Maybe someday they will wake up and smell the coffee, and realize that they are ruining the profession by not allowing those of us (with decades of experience saving lives and educating new grads) to continue practicing after one legal mistake. I actually hope the shit hits the fan and their own loved ones pay the ultimate price for their lack of concern for us. It's called Karma. And someday they will wish there was an experienced RN who knows how to save lives at their loved ones bedside.
NurseTheresa

Caruthersville, MO

#831 Aug 8, 2012
Hello everyone I have my license on probation after the IBON accepted a Settlement Agreement. I had an Atty with me during the entire process. With out question this was the most humbling and humiliating pocess I have ever been through. This for me, will require a complete reinvention of my career & my life. Accepting that the BON would really rather not deal with me or those like me, since we do not represent the image that they want to project to the public. This has really helped me accept my powerlessness. The Isolation has been maddening. Even among my peers who are in the medical support grp I attend,they have been fortunate enough not to have had their license affected, they are involved with the Nurse Protection Program in my state but not the IPLA.
I hope that education is part of the answer and I am hopeing to find a way to do that. As for finding a job....it is going to be a matter of finding the employer who is willing to give me or any of us the 2nd chance we are seeking. As for me, I also have to be watchful that I do not put myself in a dangerous postion where my past can be used against me. I pray for us all daily. The BON's of our vaious states may see us as damaged goods who do not fit the image of nursing they wish to project and they will cry out that they have a responsablility to protect the public. All of that may be true, but we know that we do represnt "Nursing" that addiction affects everyone including the healthcare profession. The BON is more compasionate to the public than to the nurses they license. If nurses or potential nurses were aware of that, than maybe we would be on an even playing field. So sorry to have rambled on,it does feel good though. Thanks!!!
Princessofthemal l

Baton Rouge, LA

#832 Aug 8, 2012
Exactly WHAT did I steal wrote:
Lynn, I just have to ask-- can you please get some figures on what the nurse is actually paying for the "nominal fee" and the urine testing? I'm not anti-urine testing, but it's far too easy to mess it up, and it can't be kept indefinitely like hair can. Anyway, let's do some math here... I need some numbers on how much this is costing her, because I suspect the markup on these urine tests is pretty high, so someone's making a lot of money somehow, from innocent nurses. I spent a few minutes online researching this, but I don't want to visit sites & get a bunch of spam email later, so can you please get some numbers for me,$$-wise, and I can do a math problem on this?
I can tell you I am going through a situation where I was taking the urine screens in Louisiana this past year and they were $105 each and the week of christmAs last year they called me 3 times in1 week and I took it for over a year to be told this past May that I tested .10 on the test and I also demanded to be retested but they denied and advised my license would be suspended for 4 years and I have to pay $500. So I am looking into maybe going to school for a X-ray tech or PTA
NurseTheresa

Caruthersville, MO

#833 Aug 8, 2012
Princessofthemall wrote:
<quoted text>
I can tell you I am going through a situation where I was taking the urine screens in Louisiana this past year and they were $105 each and the week of christmAs last year they called me 3 times in1 week and I took it for over a year to be told this past May that I tested .10 on the test and I also demanded to be retested but they denied and advised my license would be suspended for 4 years and I have to pay $500. So I am looking into maybe going to school for a X-ray tech or PTA
I am fortunate I guess that my Urine drops are only 46$. I drop 16 x's a yr randomly. Yes I support any carreer other than nursing.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#834 Aug 9, 2012
Forget "karma" and "someday" and "what do we do". There's an organization called The Innocence Project, which helps people who've been wrongfully convicted and sent to prison unfairly. Those last four words probably won't apply to us here; we're still on the outside, not sharing a room with convicted felons. In my case, I'm just forced to live next door to them, due to not having any money to move. Anyway...

One of the goals of The Innocence Project is to have interrogations videotaped. That's a great idea. We could get behind that and show support, and it would ultimately help us, too, or at least the ones who come after us.

Suki, can you put up an email address for me to write to you privately? I'm sure the BRN's read this stuff... I'm okay with having them know I want future interrogations (and there will be many of them, you can be sure)videotaped, but I don't want them to know other strategy.

For the meantime, let's be glad we at least aren't in prison. However, some of us are losing our houses, our cars, our furniture, you name it, due to these boards. In my case, I was hurt by an RN faking being an MD. I was called racist and other hurtful names because I didn't understand that his "cultural misunderstanding" meant he "didn't understand" that he couldn't call himself an MD here, including on his business cards, which I gave to the investigator. Cry me a river. The man has six houses and has been buying them in this area since 1989. For all I know, he has more houses in other areas. What the heck does he need six houses for, and why didn't he spend at least a little of that money getting a REAL, bona fide California license? ANSWER ME THAT, BRN... I'M A CONSUMER & I DESERVE SAFE HEALTH CARE FROM A REAL MD... NOT A "MISUNDERSTOOD" ONE. How many others like him are wandering around, with their countrymen speaking in their language at the nurse's station about this person? How many secrets are being hidden by the people covering for him or living in the five houses he doesn't live in? Does the BRN care? Not in my case. The investigator said in court that he never even delegated the info I gave him, including the business cards, to anyone else. I've never been so totally disgusted with healthcare in California.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#835 Aug 10, 2012
I'm posting this to show that nurses aren't the only ones getting false convictions. This is happening all over the country. It's from an Innocence Project email I get daily.

Posted: 09 Aug 2012 12:15 PM PDT

Douglas Prade was a former Akron police captain when he was convicted in 1998 of the murder of his ex-wife, Dr. Margo Prade, and sentenced to life in prison. Based on new DNA results, his attorneys from the Ohio Innocence Project and Jones Day are seeking to overturn the conviction or at least receive a new trial.
The victim's body was discovered slumped behind the wheel of her car in her office parking lot. She was shot six times and had a bite mark on her arm. At trial, when DNA testing results proved inconclusive, prosecutors' used bite mark analysis to match Prade's dentition to the bite mark. Bite mark analysis has been targeted as unreliable and has been shown to contribute to a number of wrongful convictions.
In 2010, new, more sophisticated DNA testing revealed male DNA that did not belong to Prade but that is too small to determine the actual source. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports:
Prade, 66, has always professed his innocence. On the day of his sentencing, he said in court, "I did not do this. I am an innocent, convicted person."

"The DNA results prove what Prade has said all along, that he is 100 percent innocent," said Carrie Woods, a staff lawyer for the University of Cincinnati Innocence Project who is also representing Prade. "We have asked the court that he be exonerated and released from jail, or at least give him a new trial. He should not spend another minute in prison."
Read the full article.
azlanai868

Tempe, AZ

#836 Aug 10, 2012
Hello,
My direct, to the point comment is that if you did wrong-own up and be accountable. You are wasting energy trying to figure out ways to "cover up", and once the Board finds out--as they certainly will, you look more professional and honest if you admit you made a mistake(s) and are do a.....b.....c.....to make it right. Then ask what else you can do to show that you are serious, and are willing to go to any length to show your determination to never be in this situation again. Lying is not what an honorable person would do. Our profession is an honorable one, and we are held to those standards. You got into this, now do what you need to do to get out of it and move on. Good luck.
Exactly WHAT did I steal

United States

#837 Aug 10, 2012
You're missing the whole point, azlanai. The Boards aren't infallible. They make mistakes, but they won't own up to them. If you think that nurses don't lie about each other, you haven't been a nurse very long!
suki

Scottsdale, AZ

#838 Aug 12, 2012
penny wrote:
<quoted text>who are you to judge nurses punishishment? it sounds like you have been in nrsg office work instead of on the floor working with patients. you have no right to say we should be punished. it shows you dont make mistakes? sounds like your in the wrong business.
You do understand the majority of these "board" members are NOT nurses?
suki

Scottsdale, AZ

#839 Aug 12, 2012
Princessofthemall wrote:
<quoted text>
You understand what they did to you was based on their POWER and CONTROL over you. They did it because the AUTHORITY it gave them made them feel powerful. A bunch of sick ones!
suki

Scottsdale, AZ

#840 Aug 12, 2012
azlanai868 wrote:
Hello,
My direct, to the point comment is that if you did wrong-own up and be accountable. You are wasting energy trying to figure out ways to "cover up", and once the Board finds out--as they certainly will, you look more professional and honest if you admit you made a mistake(s) and are do a.....b.....c.....to make it right. Then ask what else you can do to show that you are serious, and are willing to go to any length to show your determination to never be in this situation again. Lying is not what an honorable person would do. Our profession is an honorable one, and we are held to those standards. You got into this, now do what you need to do to get out of it and move on. Good luck.
It is all about power. Arizona has some of the SICKEST (mentally ill) people in positions of power. You could do a...b...c... and then some backflips and it still is not good enough. Ooops you didn't do your flips in a timely manner. Who are you kidding? I've been in this state long enough to know..........it is so wicked. Crooked politicians, greedy CEO's the misfits of the USA go to Arizona. It is still the Wild Wild West. Have you ever followed the Arizona Government's actions? Try it sometime. They are NOT for the majority of the people of this state. They are there for the ultra wealthy.
Cookie

Sacramento, CA

#841 Aug 15, 2012
To RNS, LVNs and Student nurses, carry your own insurance. There is insurance availabe to nurses for license protection. Do not speak to ANY ONE without consulting with a attorney first. This includes members of the Boards, present and past employees. I am not a lawyer, but I know that during the initial investigation of a complaint, the Board would like nothing better than for you incriminate your self. Any thing you say may be used to substaniate what could have been an easily resolved occurance in to a full blown accusation. Now your problems really begin, as Boards are to the protect the consumer not your license. Anyone can file a complaint for any reason. It is the Boards job to substaniate the allegation and determine if it should proceed to disciplinary measures.
If you do lose your license, remember you have valuable skills and will need to refocus your resume with transferable skills and not focus on that you were a nurse.
Good luck to all the people who have posted on this site.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gilbert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Powerful Lobbying firm to host fundraiser for L... 9 hr Henu 7
Arizona Woman Dies From Traumatic Head Injuries... 21 hr failHard 1
Tempe Music Thread Thu Musikologist 1
Review: Asrari Endodontics (Oct '08) Thu Amber Johnson 8
East coast mobusters in east valley Dec 16 ajay1974 4
Jimmy Merle Vaņater A.K.A. James or ltaly Dec 16 Concerned for oth... 1
Do you know which businesses in Gilbert to avoi... (Dec '09) Dec 16 Moving Company 6
Gilbert Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Gilbert People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Gilbert News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Gilbert

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:49 am PST

Bleacher Report11:49AM