Giant's Camp closed in Gibsonton?

Posted in the Gibsonton Forum

callunah

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Oct 6, 2006
Is it true that the Giant's Camp Diner in Gibsonton has shut down? I would appreciate links to any news on this. I'm a fan of the Giant's Camp and would be saddened to hear of it's closure.
mark rivera

Boise, ID

#2 Oct 19, 2006
are you for real i cant belive this iv been going there for almost 16 years of my life and im 17 now so that tells you what its done for me my grandmas been working there from the time it opend margret wow im shocked by this news
alice

Venice, FL

#3 Oct 30, 2006
I was by there last night on my way home from Tampa. It looked all shut up but it was dark. I am going to drive up that way on my next day off this week.
callunah

Brooklyn, NY

#4 Nov 21, 2006
It's sad but true. I found the link about its closure.

http://brandon.tbo.com/brandon/MGBH2G9C0TE.ht...
Paris

Auburndale, FL

#5 Jun 6, 2007
alice wrote:
I was by there last night on my way home from Tampa. It looked all shut up but it was dark. I am going to drive up that way on my next day off this week.
I am wondering how long you have been going to the Giant's Camp. I am adopted and found out that my birth mother used to be a waitress at the Camp and hung out with Judy helping to make the monuments. I am really looking for anyone who may have known her or my father. This would be in the late late 60's and early 70's. please respond to parisfp@hotmail.com
Paris

Auburndale, FL

#6 Jun 6, 2007
Please anyone that reads this site - if you were a customer or resident of Giant's Camp in the late 60's or early 70's and remember a Patty Jo or Sig Quenomeon. Please contact me at Parisfp@hotmail.com. They were my birth parents.
sherrydeese

United States

#7 Jun 17, 2007
I manage a neighboring motel and visit with the Giant's grand daughter daily.
The crumbling boot still sits there in testiment of another era. I hope this legacy can be preserved in some way.
sherrydeese

United States

#8 Jun 17, 2007
PS

I am not from St Pete! Had an aunt who lived there for many years but.... What's up with that? I live and work in Gibsonton, Florida.
farthead

Thonotosassa, FL

#9 Jun 18, 2007
crys i loved that place let the giant rest in peace!!! we love u bearded lady and always keep the food coming somewhere else
boy hood memoreis

United States

#10 Jul 11, 2007
as a young boy we visted quite offten on our way back from tampa as a young boy I was always in awe of the giant as Iremember he could pass a silver dollar through the ring off his finger I sat be side at the counter and was all ways in awe ao his size what memories
kristie love

Camden, NC

#11 Oct 17, 2008
i enjoted going to Giant's Camp when i was growing up. There was nothing no better than a race and Giant's camp afterwards.... It had been there along time. it is really sad that it is closed our children today have will have no clue about all the history that has happened there.
Ethel Dudley

United States

#12 Feb 10, 2009
Iam so sad that the Gaint Camp is closed down. I grew up with the place and it looks so strange to see the place not open anymore when I come down to visit my family and friends there. It is missed alot by me and my family.
Carol Philips

Riverview, FL

#14 Dec 30, 2009
The Giant's Camp Property was purchased in 2008 by Mosaic, the phosphate company which operates just north of the river which was the north boundary of the Giant's Camp. A few months earlier,in 2007, the Concerned Citizens of Gibsonton had been looking into some way to preserve the history of this place. The property was for sale at the time. The civic group wanted to preserve the boot which stood as a memorial to Al Tomaini on the property, but needed a location to place a reconstrutcted boot. They approached Mosaic Public Affairs office, inquiring about the possibility of placing a memorial on property adjacent to the Camp, which was owned by Mosaic. In the following year the Giant's Camp property was purchased by Mosaic and the company offered space on it to the civic group to erect a memorial. In the time since, Mosaic and Concerned Citizens of Gibsonton have been working together to achieve the memorial spot which will soon be completed. The property has been cleared. Mosaic has restored one of the cabins which will be kept on the property, and will also erect informative signage. The Concerned Citizens are erecting a monument topped by a replica of the boot, which will stand in front of the cabin. The entire area will be maintained as a small green space at the north entry to Gibsonton.
its a sad thing

United States

#15 Jan 31, 2011
its a sad thing but thats what gibsonton has come to.Tearing down buildings and pushing the people out that have built this town so sad so sad
Robby

Minot, ND

#16 Aug 30, 2011
I was 16yrs old (with an ID that I had bought at a flea market that said I was 19)in 1982. I worked at Tampa Mutual Metals as a cutting torch operator, and lived at Giants camp. I rented a cabin from Jeannie that summer and often fed myself with muscles and wild oysters that I scavenged from the beach at low tide. Jeannie was a very stern woman and helped me to learn what it was to be a man. We had many talks in the bait shop. I never knew the history of Al and Jeannie until many years later when I saw her on a television show on PBS. To me she was just a woman with no legs that was great to talk to. I'm glad to hear that a memorial was erected to keep the memory of Giants camp alive. Thank you Giants Camp.....you gave me a long lasting memory of my youth.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gibsonton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Alias (Dec '13) 4 hr For the people 35
Tampa Bay area veterans hospitals train on hand... 4 hr Liberal forever 1
Review: Corner Club Tavern Wed Terri Miller 1
2000 chevy impala Tue kimmyjo25 1
Vote YES on Amendment Two! Tue Liberal forever 1
Could Ferguson happen in Tampa? Mon chimpoutologist 9
Castro: Cuba Will Cooperate With US In Ebola Fight Oct 20 Liberal forever 1
Gibsonton Dating
Find my Match

Gibsonton Jobs