Memphis, TN

#2 Feb 10, 2012
Watch officer brown/he's a headhunter.
curious?

Bowie, MD

#3 Feb 10, 2012
Wild bill wrote:
Watch officer brown/he's a headhunter.
I thought he transferred to Memphis...if so, bad for them good for G'way!
EASY E

Oakland, TN

#4 Feb 10, 2012
hOW CAN THEY SIT IN A NO PARKING ZONE IN FRONT OF MAYOS AND RUN RADAR THAT AINT KOOL
theman

Somerville, TN

#5 Feb 11, 2012
Gallaway and Oakland are both speed traps. Oakland has revenue of over 1 million from tickets per year, don't know how much Gallaway collects. Somerville is the only town that does not appear to be a speed trap in the county.
Shooter

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Feb 11, 2012
Both agencies are a joke.
same here!

Bowie, MD

#7 Feb 12, 2012
theman wrote:
Gallaway and Oakland are both speed traps. Oakland has revenue of over 1 million from tickets per year, don't know how much Gallaway collects. Somerville is the only town that does not appear to be a speed trap in the county.
They are also!!! You can speed while you're there, just don't speed THRU!!!!

Since: Jun 11

United States

#8 Feb 13, 2012
If you exceed the damn speed limit and get caught, you'll probably get a ticket...that's anywhere in the country. The police don't control your vehicles speed for you. I'm sick of hearing people whining about speed traps...slow down you bunch of inbreds and you won't have to worry about a speeding ticket. It's really that simple...
Shooter

Washington, DC

#9 Feb 13, 2012
There's more to policing than scratching out a speeding ticket. If that's all the police are gonna do then the cities can save money by purchasing speed cameras and disbanning actual officers. What about patrolling the neighborhoods or getting out on foot in the shopping centers or just plain ole community policing. You can't earn the publics trust if your only interaction is when you are meeting during a traffic stop. Just saying that there is a need for traffic enforcement but there's more to it than that. Stay safe.
theman

Somerville, TN

#10 Feb 14, 2012
Shooter wrote:
There's more to policing than scratching out a speeding ticket. If that's all the police are gonna do then the cities can save money by purchasing speed cameras and disbanning actual officers. What about patrolling the neighborhoods or getting out on foot in the shopping centers or just plain ole community policing. You can't earn the publics trust if your only interaction is when you are meeting during a traffic stop. Just saying that there is a need for traffic enforcement but there's more to it than that. Stay safe.
you are 100% right. Go with the cameras and still raise your revenue since that's what this is all about.

Collierville, TN

#11 Feb 14, 2012
Cameras can only cite the car owner and not the person actually driving the vehicle, thus, the fine is required to be lower. Police departments around the country write citations for various traffic infractions...this is not isolated to JUST Oakland or Gallaway or wherever...the police departments DO all those other police functions, such as checking doors and patrolling neighborhoods, it's just that you people ONLY see them when they're on traffic stops...it's easy to arm chair police...why don't y'all quit your bitchin and actually obey the damn law...
Shooter

Washington, DC

#12 Feb 14, 2012
I am very familiar with the civil citation of a photo enforced traffic violation. I also realize that anyone under 18 years and younger can not be a party to civil litigation. But it boils down to revenue. I can't speak for Galloway (my opinion) but at least in Oakland, community policing is non-existent. Crime prevention through environmental design is also crucial when it comes to suburban growth. Being a LEO now for 20 years I agree that obeying the law is not only our civic responsibility its also biblical. Im not "bitchin" ,but all I see here is speed enforcement and very often perception is reality.
theman

Somerville, TN

#13 Feb 14, 2012
they can't do normal police work when they are spending 905 of their time writing tickets. Look at the revenue, they are doing this for the money. It is common in many small towns, easier to write tickets on folks that usually don't live in the town than raise other taxes to support town needs.

United States

#14 Feb 15, 2012
Lord have mercy....it's like shooting fish in a barrel out there because people continue to speed. So what is the trade off? Allowing people to violate traffic laws just for the sake of rattling doors or being "scene" in neighborhoods?? A 20 year veteran at a large department such as Memphis or Shelby County would know that the type of enforcement is in stark contrast to the type of enforcement in a town the size of Oakland. The Oakland officers don't have 20 or more calls holding when they come on shift, so the focus is a little different. Do you realize how many arrests are made as a result of traffic stops?? You're always going to have a disparity if you're comparing small town PD's to LARGE metropolitan ones...to me it's about deterrence moreso than revenue. Just so you know... The State gets a HUGE chunk of traffic citation fines...it's not like Oakland gets ALL the revenue...I thought I'd educate some of y'all to that fact because it's a common misconception...
retired

Washington, DC

#15 Feb 15, 2012
The truth is the city gets most of the money, if i remember correctly. The city sends $2.00 for every ticket written to the state.

Marshall, TX

#16 Feb 15, 2012
As I recall, the city gets 10%...
retired

Washington, DC

#17 Feb 16, 2012
Carolina Sugar Bud wrote:
As I recall, the city gets 10%...
you may want to double check I did
Justice

United States

#18 Feb 18, 2012
You can speed and a ticket but why can't the cops check the city out because of the crimes,no money in it.thats what concerns me.
theman

Somerville, TN

#19 Feb 19, 2012
If any of you are seriously defending this because the law should be obeyed u are just not looking at the facts. It is a revenue stream for Oakland, very little has to do with public safety.

The speed limits are set low to increase revenue. Increase revenue, hire more cops, buy more equipment, etc. It never ends.

The paper last week was reporting that Oakland was looking at lowering the speed limit all the way to the county line, but at least the Mayor asked for a state study of what the speed limit should be.

The speed limits are higher on Germantown road which has much more traffic that in our small Fayette county town. Somerville even has 30mph on a section thru there. You can't hardly drive 30 going down hill. this is crazy.

Collierville, TN

#20 Feb 19, 2012
theman wrote:
If any of you are seriously defending this because the law should be obeyed u are just not looking at the facts. It is a revenue stream for Oakland, very little has to do with public safety.
The speed limits are set low to increase revenue. Increase revenue, hire more cops, buy more equipment, etc. It never ends.
The paper last week was reporting that Oakland was looking at lowering the speed limit all the way to the county line, but at least the Mayor asked for a state study of what the speed limit should be.
The speed limits are higher on Germantown road which has much more traffic that in our small Fayette county town. Somerville even has 30mph on a section thru there. You can't hardly drive 30 going down hill. this is crazy.
It's the little thing next to the accelerator...it's called the brake...YOU control your speed, not the police...you people are hung up on the revenue thing...the speed limit on G'town pkwy is 50 ONLY in the portion of that road that is county...Germantown has a speed limit of 45mph...and also 30mph on G'town pkwy...I don't see any of you retards posting ignorant "speed trap" posts about that city...the portion of hey 64 in Fayette County thats actually county, has a Speed limit of 65mph...so quit your whining about speed limits...it's a fact of life...they're in ever city of ever county of every state...don't want speed limits???, move your ignorant ass to Germany!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gallaway Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Arlington Mayor and BOA Fri Arlingtonian 1
Review: Ultimate Attire And Solutions Inc Dec 2 Ripped off customer 1
Oakland Christmas parade Dec 1 Santa Elf 2
Is Obama really the antichrist, anti-Christian,... (Dec '09) Nov 26 Jason 2
Naked man on hwy64 Arlington Tn. Nov 23 waist level 2
Gallaway is looking up!!!! (Aug '09) Sep '14 yupp 506
Get Rid Of Timbes (Apr '14) Aug '14 Lady 11
Gallaway Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web