Goodyear plant in Gadsden

Posted in the Gadsden Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Uc Resident

United States

#1 Feb 11, 2011
I am looking at the possibility of transferring to your Goodyear facility. I want to know all I can about this plant. How many employees it has? Production levels? And more importantly is it considered a protected plant and if so how long?
And Another GY employee

Milan, TN

#2 Feb 12, 2011
I would like to know the same things about your plant.
Tell me about your town. Do you enjoy living there?What is the population? Crime statistcs? School systems? Median cost of households?

I will more than likely be the new owner of a Gadsden AL address. We, at the Union City plant, have just received a huge slap in the face. Uproot my family is the last thing I want to do, but all hope is gone here.
fish

Plains, GA

#3 Feb 12, 2011
Well I don,t know about the plant . But there is alot of good surounding areas to live within 25 miles of there.
GTRchemical rep

United States

#4 Feb 13, 2011
I hope nobody is dumb enough to transfer to Gadsden only to meet the same fate in short order.

The SMART thing to do is GET OUT of that passenger tire manufacturing industry while you CAN.

It's doomed domestically.

The remaining employees at Gadsden will now feel the heat, and will be worked like slaves in fear of not having a job, so their productivity will go up, believe me. The workers will be ground into the earth, then disposed of.

I have been told there will be layoffs of some newer employees, if their jobs are in competition with GTR Union City employees who wish to transfer to Gadsden.

So, some of the people in Gadsden GTR that do duplicate jobs will undoubtedly be laid off in favor of the senior Union City transfered employee.

Goodyear is not dumb enough to have 2 people doing the same job, when one will perform very nicely.

If I worked at GTR Gadsden, I would keep my mouth shut, but spend my time feverishly looking for another job, in another industry or state.

If you wait for the other shoe to drop, you are quite dumb and inexperienced in American corporate business in a global economy today.

No way would I move my family all the way to Alabama- I might consider moving myself, get a cheap apartment/studio and check the environment out first at the Plant, and keep my ear to the ground before I made the move, even if GoodYear was paying for it-- just don't pull your kids and family away immediately-- just go home on weekends or every other weekend for maybe 5 or 6 months.

Or, if offered, take any buyout cash, and go to work for the competition- maybe Cooper, maybe a specialty tire manufacturer, or auto plant.

And, keep in mind, you LOSE going to work in ALABAMA. Alabama has an INCOME TAX, TN does not !
So you will have to make more money than you did in TN. DOn't be a fool getting sucked into making any tranfer without calculating that into the move.

One thought, is just don't do it. Get out of GTR business and move on down the road to another industry, that's really what I would recommend anyway
GYworker

Anniston, AL

#5 Feb 16, 2011
Yep,I totally agree..I am an employee there and it's not if, it's when...We are protected til next contract only and thats about another 2 years then I'm pretty sure we're next on the chopping block...I would estimate about 5 years tops..
Not trying to discourage anyone,honestly do what you think is best for you and your family..I'm just a realist..GTR is right about the taxes also... As for me,I'm taking advantage of the schooling that the union will pay for and continuing to work there til either I'm finished with school or they close the plant..Good luck and my prayers are with all of you and your families in union city...
GTRchemical rep

United States

#6 Feb 16, 2011
Yep, gyworker, then you know all the bozos and good ole boys that are stuck in their stupid ways in Gadsden, and some of the others, even women who like to keep things the way they ares- inefficient and stupid and wasteful, one manager, Roberts, at least tries to implement efficient purchasing, but is met with resentment, and internal sabotage. That place needs to clean house as well. There is no way I would stick around Gadsden Plant given what has happened in your faces in Union City- unless you are one dummy of a human being.
Need a Job

Waynesville, NC

#7 Feb 16, 2011
If you need a job and can get it, take it. Where else will you go.
need a break

United States

#8 Mar 20, 2011
^^ where else will you go ??

Easy, to the unemployment line. it's silly to think the same thing might NOT happen to you if you work in a stable (so-called) job in Gadsden, or any other tire manufacturing plant for Goodyear or really any other tire company in the US.

why wait for everybody getting shoved out the door at the same time ? now that's not thinking correctly, or you're assuming goodyear won't close or curtail operations in other states.

you don't have to stand on the railroad track to know the train is coming, unless you're one big idiot
stricker

United States

#9 Mar 22, 2011
no, I would not want to work with Goodyear at this point forward-only bad things will happen more for the US worker in the tire business- that's fairly obvious looking at brands on new cars
Just me

Dallas, NC

#10 Mar 23, 2011
I will still buy made in USA products, don't bashed them.
ICU

Fairview Heights, IL

#11 Mar 24, 2011
Goodyear has found out like other manufacturers that the USA workforce is overpaid, lazy and fat. It just can not compete at the wages that it is paying and the plant people want to revolt at the mention of cutting their wages. You people have run your jobs away and Gadsen won't be open that much longer; you people wil see to it
concerned

Hazel, KY

#12 Mar 28, 2011
First off Gadsden cant even make their ticket now,It has only made its ticket three or four days this month. Little Chili is 41,000 tires behind and Fayetteville ticket is also down. Union City has made their ticket for 82 days straight. This really sounds like a upper mananagement problem to me. So when they shut union city down I do not know how these plants will be able to make a larger ticket when they cant even make the ticket now.
ThomasA

Anniston, AL

#13 Apr 16, 2011
Back in 2003,The Goodyear plant in Huntsville(old Dunlop) was shut because it was the most expensive to run even though it was a fairly new plant with new machinery. Why? One of the reasons was the union people telling the workers to slow down production.I know three people who worked there in production who believed in their union and went along with everything they said.Even after the strike,the slowdown continued because they were convinced the threat of a shutdown was an attempt to break the union. Well, the good ole union talked the people right out of their jobs and when they went applying for new jobs in the area, many employers remembered the horrible behavior of the thugs and goons during the strike and didn't want anything to do with the trouble that followed union people. In today's economy and the threat of foreign competition,I would bust my ass to keep the Gadsden plant open regardless of what my representitives tried to tell me. If not,they go home to their jobs and you go to the unemployement line. Think about it!!!
ThomasA

Anniston, AL

#14 Apr 18, 2011
Bruce Springsteen's "My Hometown" is a fitting tribute to small towns like Gadsden. Check it out.
concerned

Cottage Grove, TN

#15 Apr 18, 2011
My husband has been with goodyear for twenty plus years, been through several strikes and a 18 month layoff. He was always able to find work during these times with benefits. So yes they will hire union employees.
ThomasA

Anniston, AL

#16 Apr 19, 2011
concerned wrote:
My husband has been with goodyear for twenty plus years, been through several strikes and a 18 month layoff. He was always able to find work during these times with benefits. So yes they will hire union employees.
Many companies are reluctant to hire people on layoff knowing they will go back to plant as soon as the long strike or layoff is over. All the time processing in and training for a new employee will have been wasted that could have been spent on someone that will stay with the company. I never hired any strikers or people on layoff for that reason. A plant shutdown,yes, but a different story.
Rick

Coyle, OK

#17 Jun 23, 2011
GTRchemical rep wrote:
I have been told there will be layoffs of some newer employees, if their jobs are in competition with GTR Union City employees who wish to transfer to Gadsden.
So, some of the people in Gadsden GTR that do duplicate jobs will undoubtedly be laid off in favor of the senior Union City transfered employee.
Really? Always been my understanding you move, you go to the bottom of the plant seniority list. So I could care less if UC ppl come this way.

Now, will they give preferential hiring to UC employees? I should expect so! I'd heard all 'off the street' new hiring was to be phased out & ex-UC employees were to be hired ONLY, but as we recently took more internal referrals & reopened the employment website to new production applications, that is obviously false. But I would still expect preferential practices given to UC folks.
Rick

Coyle, OK

#18 Jun 23, 2011
Uc Resident wrote:
I am looking at the possibility of transferring to your Goodyear facility. I want to know all I can about this plant. How many employees it has? Production levels? And more importantly is it considered a protected plant and if so how long?
Don't know the current number of workers, but it's steady. No increases in labour planned, but we have a steady stream of retirements going on, so hiring is fairly steady.

Production levels... meh. Not where it should be, but they're working on it, in Goodyear's typical slow fashion. Things are looking up.

Protected for the current contract, like anyone else in NAT, can't look past the contract, can you? Unless you want to tap the rumour mill, which is of course 75% Doom & Gloom.
Rick

Coyle, OK

#19 Jun 23, 2011
And Another GY employee wrote:
I would like to know the same things about your plant.
Tell me about your town. Do you enjoy living there?What is the population? Crime statistcs? School systems? Median cost of households?
I will more than likely be the new owner of a Gadsden AL address. We, at the Union City plant, have just received a huge slap in the face. Uproot my family is the last thing I want to do, but all hope is gone here.
Town's okay. We love it, but then Alabamians are rather more loyal to the home soil than other places, I think. I enjoy it, but then, it's Home. Don't lack for much, you want it, you got it, or you can get it without having to drive farther than B'Ham Metro or Rome. Several local school systems, county, Attalla, & Gadsden have their own, worst thing to me is Gadsden has incarcerated all the high schoolers in one gargantuan location, as is the current fad.

Crime's not so bad, to me. Probably not great, either, but we're still small enough. Everyplace has neighbourhoods you shouldn't be in. Hell of a lot better than B'Ham, I'll say that. And on the other side of the coin, haven't heard of too many abuses of police power like you can read on Drudge report nearly every day, elsewhere in the Land of the Fee.

Local wages tend to be low, except for Goodyear. Contract Plant minimum wage, which historically sucks for Goodyear, is still pretty good for Etowah County. Cost of living could be better, but is probably still below nat'l average I'd think. Ala does have income tax, & Gad does have occupational tax. Property taxes have gone up in recent years- no, let me correct myself. Your house is now appraised HIGHER in recent years. Fiscally I know the city's in good shape, & think the county is, too. At least there are no ongoing crisis here in that respect. Unlike, say, Jefferson Co. where B'ham is.

Best place for factoids is Wikipedia. Try realestatebook.com for housing prices. Lots of real estate available, and like everywhere, plenty of foreclosures if snagging one of those appeals to you.
transferee

Monterey, TN

#20 Jun 24, 2011
We're looking at transferring from Union City as well. Our plan is to keep our home in TN and rent a place in the Rainbow City area for now, atleast until the next contract to see how things are going to go. We'll be visiting Gadsden and the surrounding area next weekend and I hope we like it. It looks nice enough from what I've learned online so far, but seeing is believing. Its not easy moving there. We will be leaving family, friends and neighbors and are unsure how Gadsden area folks are going to receive us transferees. Guess we can only hope for the best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gadsden Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
just wondering Sat bad 1
Maters Pizza Dec 17 Wind Rider 1
Debate: Gay Marriage - Gadsden, AL (Aug '10) Dec 17 Louise 46
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Dec 17 VeggieBurger 90
Daugette Towers (Mar '10) Nov 29 Shawm 17
Gays near Gadsden, Alabama Nov '14 Bandman 2
Debate: Immigration - Gadsden, AL (May '10) Oct '14 Dalgast 24
Gadsden Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Gadsden People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Gadsden News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Gadsden

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 3:24 pm PST

ESPN 3:24PM
Falcons WRs to CB Lewis: Back up trash talk
Bleacher Report 3:58 PM
Is This End of the Line for Brees in NOLA?
Bleacher Report 4:04 PM
Highlights, Recap for Pats vs. Jets
Bleacher Report 6:22 PM
Can NFC South Winner Steal Playoff Win?
NFL 8:59 PM
Falcons' turnaround sends them to brink of playoffs