Lenoir City High School won't publish atheist student's editorial on religion in schools

Feb 23, 2012 Full story: Knoxville News Sentinel 2,050

Krystal Myers, editor of the school paper at Lenoir City High School, has run afoul of school administrators because of her editorial entitled "No Rights: The Life of an Atheist." Schools Director Wayne Miller said it was the decision of the school authorities not to allow publication of Myers' editorial because of the potential for disruption in ... (more)

Full Story
who said

Murfreesboro, TN

#22 Feb 23, 2012
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Pascal's Wager is a failed argument.
It appears you are good at judging your own posts and those you disagree with. Although you are correct that churches contain some hypcrites, I'd prefer to be in church with some of them instead of hell with all of them. Good luck with your beliefs or lack thereof, I hope they serve you well throughout eternity.
Humorous

Lebanon, TN

#23 Feb 23, 2012
I always find it funny that atheists fight so hard against something they claim doesn't exist.May GOD bless you all,even those of you that doesn't believe he exists.I for one KNOW that he lives and will long after those who don't believe.
Ashamed grad of LCHS

Knoxville, TN

#24 Feb 23, 2012
If you should have the right to religon (or lack there of). Then I have the right as a Christian to worship the way I please. It goes both ways. It's public school. What did you expect? Everyone to be tolerant of everything little belief?

“Darwin died for your sins”

Since: Aug 08

Nunya

#25 Feb 23, 2012
Mr Mc Bevee wrote:
I am always amazed at atheists.To live a life without faith,hope or God's grace or the ability to enjoy a relationship with YOUR God is tragic.I pray for this young lady and see this for what it is-a publicity stunt designed by her to stir up a bunch of crap by the liberal do-gooders who are usually taxpayer subsidized.Can you name a famous atheist besides Madelyn Murray O'Hare?Miller can control content.It just so happens the content is religious---so what/He can do it..Dont back down Miller...Im sick of being judged because I have my religious beliefs.Wussies.........Let her blog her article or better yet,publish it Knoxville news sentinel for her.You control your own content KNS!
Kevin BaconDouglas Adams, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Woody Allen, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Dan Barker, Dave Barry, Ingmar Bergman, Richard Branson, James Cameron, George Carlin, John Carmack, Adam Carolla, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera, Fidel Castro, Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Clarkson, Billy Connolly, Francis Crick, David Cronenberg, David Cross, Alan Cumming, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Ani DiFranco, Micky Dolenz, Harlan Ellison, Richard Feynman, Harvey Fierstein, Larry Flynt, Dave Foley, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, James Gleick, Robert Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Jamie Hyneman, Eddie Izzard, Penn Jillette, Billy Joel, Diane Keaton, Michael Kinsley, Hugh Laurie, Artie Lange, Richard Leakey, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer, John Lennon, Tom Leykis, James Lipton, H.P. Lovecraft, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Todd McFarlane, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Frank Miller, Julianne Moore, Rafael Nadal, Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Gary Numan, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Camille Paglia, Steven Pinker, Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, Robin Quivers, James Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Keanu Reeves, Rick Reynolds, Gene Roddenberry, Joe Rogan, Henry Rollins, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, Brian Sapient, Bob Simon, Steven Soderbergh, Annika Sorenstam, George Soros, Richard Stallman, Howard Stern, Julia Sweeney, Teller, Studs Terkel, Pat Tillman, Alan Turing, Eddie Vedder, Gore Vidal, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Steven Weinberg, Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak,

Nunya

#26 Feb 23, 2012
Humorous wrote:
I always find it funny that atheists fight so hard against something they claim doesn't exist.May GOD bless you all,even those of you that doesn't believe he exists.I for one KNOW that he lives and will long after those who don't believe.
It's because the only people that run roughshod over the Constitution are christians. If muslims were trying to force their religion down your throats I'm pretty sure you would stand up for yourself.

Nunya

#27 Feb 23, 2012
Child of God wrote:
As a Lenoir City High School student, I agree with not publishing this in the Panther Press. This student has stated false statements. A school board meeting, is not a school event. Out of all the youth ministers that have come to the high school during all 4 lunches, never have I seen them handing out candy. But, if they did hand out candy, I do not see a problem with it. Maybe this is an attention seeking story. I don't know, but downing Lenoir City High School is not the right thing to do. If she doesn't like Lenoir City High School then she can simply leave. It's as easy as that.
The school boards are government funded operations. 1st ammendment applies.

Ok, well let's say I as an atheist went around to schools handing out candy and attempting to deconvert your children? No doubt you would be screaming seperation of church and state then.
Don

Knoxville, TN

#28 Feb 23, 2012
I know this girl used to go to church with both parents. I wonder what has happened to make her an atheist. Normally being raised in a Baptist Church, you don't know what you believe until being saved. She in her mind, is sure.

I will say a prayer for her and her Christian parents.

Nunya

#29 Feb 23, 2012
Don wrote:
I know this girl used to go to church with both parents. I wonder what has happened to make her an atheist. Normally being raised in a Baptist Church, you don't know what you believe until being saved. She in her mind, is sure.
She probably read the Bible. That turns a lot of people into atheists.

“Citizen_Patriot_ Voter_Atheist!”

Since: May 09

Earth,TX

#30 Feb 23, 2012
Don wrote:
She might have read the bible, that is what made me an atheist. Think about these scriptures following this. And don't say they are taken out of context. There are some things that no matter what context they are in, are just frickin insane. That is what the bible's paper god is a insane monster. I don't worship monsters.

Leviticus 26: 28-29 28 then in my anger I will be hostile toward you, and I myself will punish you for your sins seven times over. 29 You will eat the flesh of your sons and the flesh of your daughters.

Kings 18:27, Isaiah 36:12
Hath my master sent me to thy master, and to thee, to speak these words? hath he not sent me to the men which sit on the wall, that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?

Isaiah 9:19-20
Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother. And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: they shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm.

Ezekiel 4:12, 15
And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man.
Why does god want us to mix poop with barley, cook it and then eat it?

Leviticus 11:10
And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you.
Why does god hate shrimp and lobster?

Ok so a god won't let you eat shrimp, but he will make you eat your own arm, poop and your kill and eat your children and drink some piss. In 1 SAMUEL chapter 6 the god gets kinda wacked and wants some hemorrhoids dipped in gold.

It's kinda good to learn what you really believe, huh?

You worship a god who would make you eat your children. He is also the Jewish god, the Muslim god and a Pagan god. If and when you ever study the bible for real, you will know this too.

Earth,TX

#31 Feb 23, 2012
Ashamed grad of LCHS wrote:
If you should have the right to religon (or lack there of). Then I have the right as a Christian to worship the way I please. It goes both ways. It's public school. What did you expect? Everyone to be tolerant of everything little belief?
Not in a public school you don't. If you get to worship in the way you want, then everybody else does too. If you can have your Christian vampire and cannibal rites, and you can sit around praying to become a Zombie, then all the other religions, will have the same rights.

How much do you want Whirling Dervishes and Muslim prayer rugs and Santerian dead chickens all over your school? Should your children be exposed to the Thuggee blood rituals? In a public school, you get them all or you get none.

And just FYI, the bible does say to keep your praying, private, alone and in your closet. So why do so many of you insist on bringing your private religion out in the open? The reason you are supposed to be keeping it quiet, is because the more everybody knows about it, the bigger fools you become. You worship a god who would make you eat your own pooh and your child. Your spell casters need those scriptures to remain a secret.

Earth,TX

#32 Feb 23, 2012
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
She probably read the Bible. That turns a lot of people into atheists.
Great minds think alike .....:)

Nunya

#33 Feb 23, 2012
Reason Personified wrote:
<quoted text>Great minds think alike .....:)
Yep!
equality4sum injustic4all

Lebanon, TN

#34 Feb 24, 2012
I would like to see this conversation turn to critical thought. Both sides (assuming there are only two) are starting to get incendiary, off-topic, and reducing themselves mudslinging instead of adult discourse.

I am personally a proud monotheistic pantheist with agnostic, Celtic, Norse, Greek, Egyptian, Shinto, Zen, Tao, Dao, and even atheist as well as Christian influences. I celebrate many cultures and religions for my own path, and I enjoy this.

However, I would not expect a condoning be allowed of my expression of such as school board meetings, school lunches, school sports games, or any other school element.

Furthermore, I would not see an unwillingness to allow this as somehow some kind of evidential proof or harmful insult against me or my loosely defined quasi-pantheon and spiritual path.

The core of the matter is not that somehow Christian students or teachers or facilitators or administrators or other faculty or parents or ministers are having their rights taken away by excluding certain religious activities from crucial aspects of public school as has been outlined clearly and consistently by federal and state law as well as the Constitution.

The freedom of religion is the freedom of ANY religion, and the best course of action regarding public schools (as has been determined by modern law) is to focus strictly on academics and ask children, parents, and etcetera to pursue their faiths outside of the school system.

This is in place to prevent alienating, harassing, or otherwise imposing upon students of other faiths, including atheism.

This is not an attack on any religion, person, or viewpoint. Contrarily, this is for the sake of differing views in a country founded on the notion of melting pot accuturation ideals and acceptance.

Accuturation is the blending and balancing concept in anthropology when differing cultures that meet geographically or otherwise interlate socially. In this day and age, within this nation on its ideals of freedom, pursuit of happiness, and respect for others' freedoms, accuturation means a balancing and blending with respect to one another towards equality.

This is not to say that the government or a very bright atheist student is trying to force the concept down your throat that a Hindi deity is equal to your Christian deity. This is where the line blurs, and people lose objectivity and begin to fall into traps of anger. No one is asking anyone to gauge with measurement on an equal scale one's faith against another's. On the contrary, we are asking you to (and law demands you to) respect one another's view as one another being equal.

You do not have to subscribe to atheism, paganism, or even worship Coca-Mama or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You do not have to even personally acknowledge any faith other than your own to be valid.

However, what you CANNOT do is make others feel that their faith (or lack of faith) is invalid, somehow detriments their chances of a higher education future or extracurricular enjoyment or social-educational experience, or use taxpayer-funded educational systems as your personal platform to minister and preach to other parents' students.

I would personally like to ask those of varied faiths that may relate to my view more readily to consider refraining from including incendiary anti-Christian rhetoric, as this is not IMHO an evolved enlightened or peaceful method of attaining any kind of equality, only bitterness and fueled fires.

I personally have no qualms with the Christian faith, but I do not enjoy that my tax dollars are being spent to have my children preached to. This is a matter that I will personally attend to as is my parenting right and responsibility, and not a matter for the school, those who use it as a platform, or any else involved.

My tax dollars are going for education, and I would like this to remain the focus.

Krystal wrote a brilliant piece, it was full of academic integrity and was well researched, and it made valid points.
equality4some

Lebanon, TN

#35 Feb 24, 2012
I would like to see this conversation turn to critical thought. Both sides (assuming there are only two) are starting to get incendiary, off-topic, and reducing themselves mudslinging instead of adult discourse.

I am personally a proud monotheistic pantheist with agnostic, Celtic, Norse, Greek, Egyptian, Shinto, Zen, Tao, Dao, and even atheist as well as Christian influences. I celebrate many cultures and religions for my own path, and I enjoy this.

However, I would not expect a condoning be allowed of my expression of such as school board meetings, school lunches, school sports games, or any other school element.

Furthermore, I would not see an unwillingness to allow this as somehow some kind of evidential proof or harmful insult against me or my loosely defined quasi-pantheon and spiritual path.

The core of the matter is not that somehow Christian students or teachers or facilitators or administrators or other faculty or parents or ministers are having their rights taken away by excluding certain religious activities from crucial aspects of public school as has been outlined clearly and consistently by federal and state law as well as the Constitution.

The freedom of religion is the freedom of ANY religion, and the best course of action regarding public schools (as has been determined by modern law) is to focus strictly on academics and ask children, parents, and etcetera to pursue their faiths outside of the school system.

This is in place to prevent alienating, harassing, or otherwise imposing upon students of other faiths, including atheism.

This is not an attack on any religion, person, or viewpoint. Contrarily, this is for the sake of differing views in a country founded on the notion of melting pot accuturation ideals and acceptance.

Accuturation is the blending and balancing concept in anthropology when differing cultures that meet geographically or otherwise interlate socially. In this day and age, within this nation on its ideals of freedom, pursuit of happiness, and respect for others' freedoms, accuturation means a balancing and blending with respect to one another towards equality.

This is not to say that the government or a very bright atheist student is trying to force the concept down your throat that a Hindi deity is equal to your Christian deity. This is where the line blurs, and people lose objectivity and begin to fall into traps of anger. No one is asking anyone to gauge with measurement on an equal scale one's faith against another's. On the contrary, we are asking you to (and law demands you to) respect one another's view as one another being equal.

You do not have to subscribe to atheism, paganism, or even worship Coca-Mama or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. You do not have to even personally acknowledge any faith other than your own to be valid.

However, what you CANNOT do is make others feel that their faith (or lack of faith) is invalid, somehow detriments their chances of a higher education future or extracurricular enjoyment or social-educational experience, or use taxpayer-funded educational systems as your personal platform to minister and preach to other parents' students.

I personally have no qualms with the Christian faith, but I do not enjoy that my tax dollars are being spent to have my children preached to. This is a matter that I will personally attend to as is my parenting right and responsibility, and not a matter for the school, those who use it as a platform, or any else involved.

My tax dollars are going for education, and I would like this to remain the focus.

Krystal wrote a brilliant piece, it was full of academic integrity and was well researched, and it made valid points.
equality4sum injustic4all

Lebanon, TN

#36 Feb 24, 2012
If there are any mods about, can someone delete the subsequent double post of same content? Sorry for the inadvertent spam, mods and et al

Nunya

#37 Feb 24, 2012
equality4sum injustic4all wrote:
If there are any mods about, can someone delete the subsequent double post of same content? Sorry for the inadvertent spam, mods and et al
The mods here only delete posts that violate Topix terms of service.
lawling

Lebanon, TN

#38 Feb 24, 2012
did you seriously just change your quote to "Pontius is my co-Pilate"

bahahahaha that's bumper sticker material, i don't care what you believe, that's good comedy

Nunya

#39 Feb 24, 2012
lawling wrote:
did you seriously just change your quote to "Pontius is my co-Pilate"
bahahahaha that's bumper sticker material, i don't care what you believe, that's good comedy
I've had it set as that for quite awhile.
azportsider

Phoenix, AZ

#40 Feb 24, 2012
It's ironic that the school administration reinforced the very points that Ms Myers made so well in her editorial with their clumsy attempt to censor her.
Mr Mc Bevee

Knoxville, TN

#41 Feb 24, 2012
madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
Kevin BaconDouglas Adams, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, Woody Allen, Lance Armstrong, Darren Aronofsky, Isaac Asimov, Dan Barker, Dave Barry, Ingmar Bergman, Richard Branson, James Cameron, George Carlin, John Carmack, Adam Carolla, John Carpenter, Asia Carrera, Fidel Castro, Noam Chomsky, Jeremy Clarkson, Billy Connolly, Francis Crick, David Cronenberg, David Cross, Alan Cumming, Rodney Dangerfield, Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Ani DiFranco, Micky Dolenz, Harlan Ellison, Richard Feynman, Harvey Fierstein, Larry Flynt, Dave Foley, Jodie Foster, Janeane Garofalo, Bill Gates, Bob Geldof, Ricky Gervais, Ira Glass, James Gleick, Robert Heinlein, Ernest Hemingway, Katharine Hepburn, Christopher Hitchens, Jamie Hyneman, Eddie Izzard, Penn Jillette, Billy Joel, Diane Keaton, Michael Kinsley, Hugh Laurie, Artie Lange, Richard Leakey, Bruce Lee, Tom Lehrer, John Lennon, Tom Leykis, James Lipton, H.P. Lovecraft, Bill Maher, John Malkovich, Barry Manilow, Todd McFarlane, Sir Ian McKellen, Arthur Miller, Frank Miller, Julianne Moore, Rafael Nadal, Randy Newman, Mike Nichols, Jack Nicholson, Gary Numan, Bob Odenkirk, Patton Oswalt, Camille Paglia, Steven Pinker, Paula Poundstone, Terry Pratchett, Robin Quivers, James Randi, Ron Reagan Jr., Keanu Reeves, Rick Reynolds, Gene Roddenberry, Joe Rogan, Henry Rollins, Andy Rooney, Salman Rushdie, Brian Sapient, Bob Simon, Steven Soderbergh, Annika Sorenstam, George Soros, Richard Stallman, Howard Stern, Julia Sweeney, Teller, Studs Terkel, Pat Tillman, Alan Turing, Eddie Vedder, Gore Vidal, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Steven Weinberg, Joss Whedon, Ted Williams, Steve Wozniak,
Hollywood liberal elites!You made my point.BTW,if ronald reagan could have two sorrier children than patti davis and jr ,I'd be surprised.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Friendsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Morristown couple's puppy dies, store says no r... 19 min Citizen 12
relocating 23 min fcm 1
Big Kahuna Wings bans lawful carry 1 hr Fred 1
James Evans (Jan '14) 2 hr I swear 6
jackie wallace 4 hr concerned parent 1
Boys & Girls Club receives $15,000 donation (Oct '06) 10 hr fyi 2
How does Phil Williams Show stay on the air? (Jun '10) 12 hr STFU 116

High Wind Warning for Blount County was issued at November 23 at 2:48AM CST

Friendsville Dating
Find my Match