what happened to Dunkirk?

Posted in the Fredonia Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
achomes

Springville, NY

#1 Sep 26, 2009
Dunkirk was an industrial city for decades. What happened to all the jobs? True Temper, Alco, Alumax, Kraft, Bedford Foods, Plymouth Tube, Roblin Steel, King Windows. Was it the unions, was it the work force, was it the taxes. Was it the environmentalist. Should we blame foreign competition? How can so many jobs be lost in 30 years and not one gov't came to the rescue of the city. The city, the county, the state and the federal gov't dropped the ball. What do you say!
dktxpyr

Fredonia, NY

#2 Sep 26, 2009
What happened to Dunkirk...low income housing
LookAround

Schenectady, NY

#3 Sep 26, 2009
What makes you think Dunkirk is so special? The U.S. is no longer a heavily industrialized nation. We've lost hundreds of thousands of well paying skilled industrial jobs and replaced them with Wal-Mart greeters. Not just Dunkirk. Not just Chautauqua County. Not just New York.
Bacowzoo

Buffalo, NY

#4 Sep 27, 2009
Dunkirk was the victim of a national economy that basically killed our industrial base without a fight. At least the part of Dunkirk's downfall that involved losses of manufacturing jobs. The rest of it, the fact that it took maybe 40 years for someone to get the lake into the mix, with all of the concerts, the new retail outlets, all of that, well, that was Dunkirk's fault. Urban renewal and horrible decisions on how to use the money and what to use it for didn't help either. Dunkirk has to be the only community I ever saw that has it's housing get worse, turning to a virtual slum, as you approach the lake!! Anywhere else, this would be the highest priced land in the area. Low income housing, per se, did not hurt Dunkirk as much as the decisions on where to build them. Even now, the new things at the pier are in the wrong place, boat docking and parking for fishermen was compromised, and they almost gave a prime piece of property, next to the Clarion, away!!!! By the way, that might have been a better site for development. Dunkirk should use Eminent Domain and take huge blocks of property all down Rt. 5, and spreading up Central Avenue, add parks, restaurants, maybe a boat repair business, anything related to the water. Get whatever funding is there, hustle private development with the land as a lure. But then again, with NYS taxes, maybe it's all too little too late. Anyway, I do love Dunkirk's waterfront in the summer, it's starting to really hop.
Nutz

Fredonia, NY

#5 Sep 27, 2009
I'm never for E. Domain...but for DK you may be on to something. Start by Bulldozing 2nd street...the whole thing. you're right, you can put up all the chadwick bay signs you want a slum is a slum
localresident

United States

#6 Sep 27, 2009
Nutz wrote:
I'm never for E. Domain...but for DK you may be on to something. Start by Bulldozing 2nd street...the whole thing. you're right, you can put up all the chadwick bay signs you want a slum is a slum
Actually, Dunkirk would rather pay HUGE sums to slumlord owners (remember the Civilette property buyouts?) than to just take it over. It's the buddy system at work here. What's more, you've got a lackluster gov't that couldn't care less if they tried (unless you know them personally), not to mention the fact that it thinks Kennedy is still in the White House.
txxxpyr

Fredonia, NY

#7 Sep 27, 2009
Everything north of third street should be demolished, and rebuilt along the lines of myrtle beach, attractions and water front things to do. The idiot that put slum housing in prime property area should be hung.
Manson

Valrico, FL

#8 Sep 27, 2009
Same thing that happened to Buffalo. When big industry/textile mills shut down, you lose quality ethinic workers. (Italians, germans, polish etc...) And then garbage moves in... good people move out. It;s happening everywhere
Hmmm

Angelica, NY

#9 Sep 27, 2009
When you combine foreign competition, stubborn/greedy labor unions, and over taxation by NYS, you get Dunkirk.
ChokeSlam

Fredonia, NY

#10 Sep 27, 2009
dunkirk might as well fall in the lake cause no one will ever want to live there or business will go there cause of the politicians that run the welfare city
jomok

Buffalo, NY

#11 Sep 27, 2009
not only dunkirk,the whole state
joe

Derby, NY

#13 Sep 27, 2009
they are trying with the lofts,shops and other good stuff. too bad someone screwed them years ago by putting public housing a block aay from the water. rr tracks and a giant coal fired powerhouse wouldn't make it my waterfront wonderland destination either.
AMY

AOL

#14 Sep 28, 2009
Dunkirk is no different then Buffalo, with their downfall and you will see your future. Starts with the blight the public employee's related to someone and the fact that they don't have to live in the city too draw a check. The elderly and the working poor are paying others to take their jobs and leave and stick their noses up as they do. I would say Dunkirk needs too clean house and start all over, but then again all you will see is another bunch of drunks. I am surprised that the illustrious leadership of Dunkirk hasn't come up the a signature bridge to connect the "higher end" Fredonia community with the waterfront and charge a toll for the lost tax base from all the factory closings!
MrDunkirk

Fredonia, NY

#15 Sep 28, 2009
What happened to Dunkirk?

Free money
Free housing
Free utilities
Free medical treatment
Free food

just to name a few
the clapper

Valrico, FL

#16 Sep 28, 2009
Don't think fredonia is immune....20 years from now it will be the same as Dunkirk
Ted

Buffalo, NY

#17 Sep 28, 2009
Good new's..Puerto Rico just laid off 16,000 goernment employees. The population of Dunkirk will now double. I can just see all the BRIGHT blue houses now.
jeff

Atlanta, GA

#18 Sep 29, 2009
They are like cockroaches...
dunkirk sucks and so des most of the area here. Only peole making money are funeral directors
Ted wrote:
Good new's..Puerto Rico just laid off 16,000 goernment employees. The population of Dunkirk will now double. I can just see all the BRIGHT blue houses now.
Get it right

Roselle Park, NJ

#19 Sep 29, 2009
In 1946, there were few nations that could make cars on a large scale. The world was bombed out. That is different now. Forty years ago, not alot of nations could make clothes on a large scale. That also has changed. Dunkirk had a strong industrial base; these industries can be found elswere in the world (and in our country...) because of freedom to work policies: Non Union shops. The Unions have ruined Dunkirk (Don't cha' know hey...). The rest of the world doesn't give a hoot about U.S unions and the pay scales the Unions demand. True Temper was always on strike. The Steel Plant? Union hotheads and cowboys. Greater Buffalo Press? They had it made. No more. It isn't Dunkirk. The rest of the world caught up with us industrially. Do you want your daughter doing piece-work in a sewing factory? No. Do you want your son messing with white hot ingots? No. Has America lost it's industrial base? Not really. Things cost less now than before. We bailed out the auto makes Unions (not the companies: the UNIONS). Who will bail you out? If you are bitching about jobs, why haven't you gone back to College? We have SUNY Fredonia, and JCC North Campus. These 2 institutions are the best bang for the buck IN THE WORLD. Instead, you hang out at the Monies, Dom Polski's, dawg-house, and downtown Fredonia. I don't want to hear about Dunkirk's lack of industry. It is nation and world wide. Look at Europe; they are worse off than we are. The other countries have caught up with us. Time was all they could make were coat hangers and cheap little toys; not anymore. Why don't you people open up a buggy whip factory? I heard there was a time we needed alot of buggy whips.
Get it right

Roselle Park, NJ

#20 Sep 29, 2009
And another thing, if you are an older worker (40-50's)that has been displaced from your job, go back to school! This is 2009, workers are getting OLDER. Don't be left behind. People are living longer, and are expected to work longer.
hmmm

Fredonia, NY

#21 Sep 29, 2009
Get it right wrote:
In 1946, there were few nations that could make cars on a large scale. The world was bombed out. That is different now. Forty years ago, not alot of nations could make clothes on a large scale. That also has changed. Dunkirk had a strong industrial base; these industries can be found elswere in the world (and in our country...) because of freedom to work policies: Non Union shops. The Unions have ruined Dunkirk (Don't cha' know hey...). The rest of the world doesn't give a hoot about U.S unions and the pay scales the Unions demand. True Temper was always on strike. The Steel Plant? Union hotheads and cowboys. Greater Buffalo Press? They had it made. No more. It isn't Dunkirk. The rest of the world caught up with us industrially. Do you want your daughter doing piece-work in a sewing factory? No. Do you want your son messing with white hot ingots? No. Has America lost it's industrial base? Not really. Things cost less now than before. We bailed out the auto makes Unions (not the companies: the UNIONS). Who will bail you out? If you are bitching about jobs, why haven't you gone back to College? We have SUNY Fredonia, and JCC North Campus. These 2 institutions are the best bang for the buck IN THE WORLD. Instead, you hang out at the Monies, Dom Polski's, dawg-house, and downtown Fredonia. I don't want to hear about Dunkirk's lack of industry. It is nation and world wide. Look at Europe; they are worse off than we are. The other countries have caught up with us. Time was all they could make were coat hangers and cheap little toys; not anymore. Why don't you people open up a buggy whip factory? I heard there was a time we needed alot of buggy whips.
I totally agree. Universal stainless(steel plant) is a non-union shop. Mac McAninch has created well paying jobs. Of course not your $25 per hour to sit on your butt union job. Jobs that will keep people in Fredonia and Dunkirk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fredonia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Fredonia turning into the new Dunkirk? 2 hr boo dunkirk 31
Horvath/Kearns have been in charge of incubator... 12 hr Gap 26
John Forbes Cenedella Oct 23 mandersonuk 5
Charity and her threats (Aug '12) Oct 21 RightPlace 9
Blonde in Fredonia by 1 Temple Square Oct 21 RightPlace 4
Panty shot Oct 21 Wow 3
Direct TV charging $2.00 for Regional Sports Ne... (Mar '13) Oct 21 STRINGBET 25
Fredonia Dating
Find my Match

Fredonia Jobs

Fredonia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fredonia News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fredonia

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]