Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
74,561 - 74,580 of 128,635 Comments Last updated 6 min ago
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

MOONRAKER wrote:
<quoted text>I'ts obvious by your comments that you are your own god, added to the many thousands which have been in existance since the beginning of time,
people who do not believe in your version of your god are not thinking that they are their own gods. but they do feel responsible for themselves, and do not go whining to god to get them out of messes. and if there have been thousands of made=up gods, that is a good argument not to believe in whatever version you believe in. it is just another guess, with no evidence whatsoever.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
That's one of the many problems with your religion: it celebrates human sacrifice. It's based around the idea of celebrating a man giving up his life. There is nothing brave or honorable about that.
Plus, if you believe Jesus and God are the same person, it doesn't even make sense. God impregnated a woman with himself so that he could walk the Earth in human form, and allowed himself to be sacrificed for the sins that he himself created.
Then again, there is no evidence to suggest he existed.
poor moonraker, is a gullible soul, I fear, from the comment that you quoted. I totally agree with your version, but I do think that persons like her - sounds like a her doesn't it - are so indoctrinated that I feel sorry for them, rather than finding them disgusting as I do yaa. I do not think many people are well-educated, and I bet that the gap on here between the superstitious and the rational is probably at least 4 years of education, and probably more than that in terms of quality of education. most of the superstitious ones were probably indoctrinated as children in some religion, and never taught rational thought at all, not at home and not in school either.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Not yet just in training. Its obvious by your comments you believe in fairy tales since the beginning of time.
that was to moonraker and I must object that fairy tales are different and not nearly so harmful. neither are flying unicorns.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

looking for hope wrote:
<quoted text>
Well tell you what , How about i take my rose colored glasses off and look up the real history as you call it .
And in the mean time you take the ones you are wearing right now off and take a good look at the real state of this world in the present . It's not improving it is on the decline .
that is because of the rightwing Republicans in the House and Senate who stopped the recovery, in order to try to defeat Obama by not letting the economy recover. They said that was their first purpose and they did it. It is also due to the greedy investment bankers and rating agencies that put out the fraudulent derivatives and credit default swaps that caused the meltdown of the financial system. you would not understand this, I am sure. you probably think God sends tornados to punish folks who disagree with you.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>A lot of people wrote of a Zeus also.
But I am not claiming a man named Jesus did not exist. I am just saying the evidence does not show much if anything.
Herod did not speak of Jesus. The Sea Shells have nothing to do with Jesus.
The carpenter story was not around until many decades after the time of the supposed Jesus.
But lets say there was such a man, does that mean he was a deity? No. There is certainly not a shred of evidence for that claim.
I agree, except did you mean to be funny when you wrote the sea shells?- dead sea scrolls ...and Essenes I think you refer to. there is some thought that some Essene thought got into the sayings attributed to Jesus. I agree it is not proven he existed, but someone wrote down sayings and attributed them to him, and we can take a look at each of those sayings and decide whether we approve of them or not. unfortunately too much bad stuff is mixed in with the good stuff.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

Spears wrote:
As it is now there are approx 41000 denominations and all these claim to be Christian
and yet they all have different ideas as to what the Bible teaches , For this reason all those so called "Christians" would not be quallified to teach bible Doctrine. Only Jehovahs Witnesses can accuratley do this!
don't be silly. no one is qualified to do it, and everyone who is any sort of believer seems to think he is - or she in some cases.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
That's why they call the rest of the faith.
The only part that I have any issue with, with people that have not such faith, for what ever reasons,(which seems a lot of times to be because having such would go against their own personal agendas and actions of CHOICE) find no fault or hypocricy in their own condemnations of those that harmlessly do.
Why? Because of their own internal dysfuctions, imperfection issues and misery.
But in any case, I there are not many other historical legendary persons, that have had such an impact on civilazation as we know it.
Which is fine by me, because that guy Jesus, seems to have been a pretty decent, level headed, beyond moral type of feller.
But you're certainly free to Not believe in what ever you'd like.
Just don't take your dislikes, or hates of, out on the rest of us.
he isn't hating or disliking. and you probably have not read the Bible carefully, or else you do not hold either God or Jesus up to a decent standard of morality. They are not good enough to be God, and you are not good enough to tell others nonsense. those of us who do not believe your nonsense, or believe in your God or your Jesus - Christ - God - are probably far more moral than those of you who rant about how wonderful your religion is. The biggest haters in this country are the rightwing nuts like yaa. many are racists, most are sexists, and most are nativist ultranationalist neo-fascists. even most Christians are not that bad, not compared with the nuts on topix who advocate for a rightwing extremist version.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying it's My Photo, I took it with my own little camera... And I'm saying I did not PhotoShop it in any way... I don't even have Photo Shop installed on my puter... I did Not say it has not been touched....:)
well, you are a capable photographer. hope you use it mostly to share beauty with us. everyone should like that!
MOONRAKER

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Fail to realize? Care to show evidence for any of those claims?
You have no more evidence of that claim than me claiming the bible is the devils work and anyone who follows it is working for the devil.
What you fail to realize is, many if not most atheists do try to do the right thing. And doing the right thing does not always include fun.
My philosophy looks to long term and deep happiness. Many indulgences that seem fun in the short term have long term unhappy results. Thus, to be really happy, one must look at the big picture of happiness.
This includes doing good to others. Why? Because it makes me happy. It likely improves society in increments and thus, results in an environment for more happiness.
Suffering for me is bad. Just seeing others suffer makes me less happy. So logically, making others happy makes me happy.
You see, there are logical reasons to be a good person without orders from a god. Reasons we can see the results in here during our life. Results that will likely pass on to our children's happiness. That makes me happy.
Now what part of this do you not understand?
Doing good to others is only part of being a christian, that is benevolence, and can be performed by non-christians. Being a christian is following after the doctrine of Christ, and his teachings. If you live to be 150 you will never find true happiness in this life, if you do it will only be fleeting, and then it will be gone. Because once you reach old age you will realize that it seems like only yesterday that you were a small child. It will be over before you know it. Life on earth is only for a little while, but life of the spirit is eternal. True happiness comes to those who gain the not only knowlege but the wisdom to know that God is life and the maker of it.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>In these days of Christians trying to block gay civil rights, I think the photo op was good for many reasons.
Maybe it is a tactic for reelection. Maybe it is to keep the Christian extremists like you out of office so Americans can have civil rights.
Obama has to show his connection to the civil rights movement in order to keep up sufficient identification with it to dare to take some leadership in trying to get the churchy rightwing Negro types who do not believe in the rights of gay persons, to begin to tolerate others, at least. He may not get them all the way to accepting gay rights, but he needs to keep them from going off the rightwing deep end with the other Christian rightwing fundies who are hostile to gay rights. He is not really of them, and he is ahead of them - so he has to show his identification with them in symbolic ways, in order to try to lead them toward a more decent humane view. But in the case of what he said about the boy who was killed, I think that was a man talking about a boy who had a similar facial look and color, and I think it was a real sense of identification with the loss of that young man. I think it was personal. Even wanting to sit in the seat where rosa Parks sat or to do some other symbolic thing connecting with civil rights, is a sort of pilgrimage, for anyone of color - and even for anyone who supports civil rights. It affirms the sense of historical connection, and the will not to retreat - but to advance all the more, toward equality.
MOONRAKER

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> people who do not believe in your version of your god are not thinking that they are their own gods. but they do feel responsible for themselves, and do not go whining to god to get them out of messes. and if there have been thousands of made=up gods, that is a good argument not to believe in whatever version you believe in. it is just another guess, with no evidence whatsoever.
God does not work personally to get us out of messes, that is our duty, and we are definitely responsible as to whether we want to live after death or die a spiritual death as well as a physical one.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Not yet just in training. Its obvious by your comments you believe in fairy tales since the beginning of time.
that raises an issue. do you have any beliefs about the begining of time, or theories, or whatever? I do not and I am not interested in being fed any speculation that might claim to be either religious or scientific knowledge, since either one would be mere guesswork with no valid evidence, in my view.
MOONRAKER

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>poor moonraker, is a gullible soul, I fear, from the comment that you quoted. I totally agree with your version, but I do think that persons like her - sounds like a her doesn't it - are so indoctrinated that I feel sorry for them, rather than finding them disgusting as I do yaa. I do not think many people are well-educated, and I bet that the gap on here between the superstitious and the rational is probably at least 4 years of education, and probably more than that in terms of quality of education. most of the superstitious ones were probably indoctrinated as children in some religion, and never taught rational thought at all, not at home and not in school either.
I'm not a her, and to bad you will have to find out by experience that your are TOTALLY WRONG on every aspect.
looking for hope

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> that is because of the rightwing Republicans in the House and Senate who stopped the recovery, in order to try to defeat Obama by not letting the economy recover. They said that was their first purpose and they did it. It is also due to the greedy investment bankers and rating agencies that put out the fraudulent derivatives and credit default swaps that caused the meltdown of the financial system. you would not understand this, I am sure. you probably think God sends tornados to punish folks who disagree with you.
So you think some Polititisns and greedy investment bankers
are the cause of the world being in decline .
No honestly i can not understand that .

No absolutley not i do not think God sends tornados to punish folks who disagree with me , That would be silly and besides if he did there would be very few folks still left on this forum for me to talk to . LOL !

Since: Feb 12

El Dorado Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> that raises an issue. do you have any beliefs about the begining of time, or theories, or whatever? I do not and I am not interested in being fed any speculation that might claim to be either religious or scientific knowledge, since either one would be mere guesswork with no valid evidence, in my view.
Being agnostic I don't believe in anything yet. Simply put I don't know. Going by what facts that are presented, I'm leaning toward evolution but I need lot more study time invested for that. Have we been engineered by a space race of aliens I don't have a clue. Does God exists, I dont know but he sure is a scary dude from what I read of him. I do know only two things are certain death and taxes.

I'm learning here from different views how religious and secular minds think. Trying sharpen my own thinking about life in general.
TruthIS

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is why You should always question Your own thoughts... Care to point out the Point he made by his post where he totally missed Nuance...
Actually, after reading some more references to the subject of the post, I would have to concede, I read in a whole other contextual realm.

Where's the post subject picture?
TruthIS

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> he isn't hating or disliking. and you probably have not read the Bible carefully, or else you do not hold either God or Jesus up to a decent standard of morality. They are not good enough to be God, and you are not good enough to tell others nonsense. those of us who do not believe your nonsense, or believe in your God or your Jesus - Christ - God - are probably far more moral than those of you who rant about how wonderful your religion is. The biggest haters in this country are the rightwing nuts like yaa. many are racists, most are sexists, and most are nativist ultranationalist neo-fascists. even most Christians are not that bad, not compared with the nuts on topix who advocate for a rightwing extremist version.
Some probably are, and some probably aren't.

Just like the rest of the worlds populations.

The ONLY thing I've ever advocated as far as the Bible (or any other book actually) is that it (or they) are best read for ones OWN self.

As in if "seeking, ye shall find" then.

Scenerios of further discussions with those in agreement to DISCUSS (rather than just DISmiss others and THEIR opinions) who might enjoy discussing such, excluded of course.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

MOONRAKER wrote:
<quoted text>He suffered scourging , the worse beating anyone can endure, he was beaten within inches of his life, and then hung on the cross, peierced with a sword in his side and hung there hours to die, among other things, all for the sins of sinful as well as good men. I would like to see you do that for anyone. YOu are to be pitied.
Pitied, just because I don't believe like you, very funny, and to think every generation of my family has served in the military including myself to defend your right to pity me, even more funny. How many, do you think of our military, have died for you? Never gave it thought have you, how arrogant you and your god are.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

The shroud of turin can not be god in a jesus suit's burial cloth.
Yes and Amen

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2012

Judged:

TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be. Could be he sat there "feeling the aura of history" wondering why he's allowed for so much time t be wasted on reinventing proverbial wheels, or thinking, wow, REAL oppression like that must've really Stunk (as only major offences and wrongs committed against humanity do) or wondering how he got duped into one hateful arse job lol.
But it was a good photo op for the History books. The first elected African American (truly) PotUS, sitting in the seat Ms. Rosa Parks, stood HER ground REALLY, for the cause of civil rights.
Yep...
I have no problem reflecting on history!
I was proud to have him elected, and then he showed his agenda!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

127 Users are viewing the Frankfort Forum right now

Search the Frankfort Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
jessika green/ chris green 19 min lmao 15
steers and queers lol 27 min please 2
All my customers going to Mex Monkey 39 min doubt it 3
toughest dude in frankfort (Aug '09) 40 min Quincy Thurman 82
Curtiss Trophy 59 min Look out 27
Anybody going to Miguel's anymore? 1 hr I love mex monk 25
used batteries 1 hr dety 2
Cook Out 3 hr Steve 31
paula ward (Dec '11) 5 hr Paula Ward 84