Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 2)

|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jesus Bsh

Horse Cave, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

This is complete garbage. I agree with the post saying to teach it to your kids at home. School is supposed to be about learning facts, not shoving your beliefs on these kids. There are religious based schools if you like. I mean, where does it end? We would have to allow all religions to be taught or none, if we're being fair. And if you do that, there will be no time to learn about real classes, such as science.
What a Waste

Burkesville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

The bill states that the course must follow all federal and state laws in “maintaining religious neutrality and accommodating the diverse religious views of students.”

How the hell can the programs “maintain religious neutrality and accommodate the diverse religious views of students” if they're using ONLY the bible?

Stupid, it's a feel good bill. The legistlators can say they support the bible, then go home and let each school distric fight the battles in court and at tax payers' expense.
beware

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

no not in schools. . bible should taught in church.
Marlboro

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

There is a lot more religion in schools right now than people realize. Think back to the time when you were young and in school when the teachers announced a pop quiz. Oh lord please let me pass this test. Well maybe a lot more prayers than religon.
Mabel Simons

Paintsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

It would be great for them to teach bible study in schools! I love this idea!!

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

How many of you actually read the article? Teaching Bible is already legal in KY and currently being taught in some public schools. This bill is for regulation purposes; to set rules for teaching the Bible. I believe this is to prevent what many are concerned about; teach, not preach.
Read it for yourself:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...

“Man on Rider Births Mini Self”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

Jesus Bsh wrote:
This is complete garbage. I agree with the post saying to teach it to your kids at home. School is supposed to be about learning facts, not shoving your beliefs on these kids. There are religious based schools if you like. I mean, where does it end? We would have to allow all religions to be taught or none, if we're being fair. And if you do that, there will be no time to learn about real classes, such as science.
While I agree that we need to be fair, there are established ways of teaching world religions. It is a basic overview religion, divided by Eastern and Western thought. In college, each takes 1 semester so in high school, it would be all year. You could count it as humanities or social studies. This is not too much to ask, make it an elective, hell require it, I don't care.
WTF

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

kellerman wrote:
It's not appropriate to teach religion in school. we live in a diverse society and can't teach all religions in schools. One has to keep these separate, it's up to the parents to inform their children on religious upbringing. I thought this issue was long solved, but i see it keeps coming back up.
Very well said!
Hell awaits

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

The same incompetent teachers who cant teach reading and essential mathematics will now be responsible for getting your kids into heaven,good luck.Hope theres a few million dollars squireled away for law suits,

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

kellerman wrote:
It's not appropriate to teach religion in school. we live in a diverse society and can't teach all religions in schools. One has to keep these separate, it's up to the parents to inform their children on religious upbringing. I thought this issue was long solved, but i see it keeps coming back up.
no one said teach religion. they said teach the bible. there is a difference.when America was founded the bible was the reading book.

Since: Feb 10

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

kellerman wrote:
I understand that the world is diverse, but we can take things from the bible and teach children. Morals for example, the Bible teaches wonderful morals. We can also teach a world religion class, that examines all religions of the world in a history perspective rather than a faith perspective. Even if one has their own faith, it can build understanding of other religions and one's own faith as well.

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

beware wrote:
no not in schools.. bible should taught in church.
how many kids do you know, that their parent take em to church.?
who is who

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

I like the idea myself. Science is still allowed to teach ridiculous theories that many people do not believe nor want to waste time being forced into learning, so why not add the religious side and make it fair; or ban it all.
amen

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

PeaceSpeaker wrote:
How many of you actually read the article? Teaching Bible is already legal in KY and currently being taught in some public schools. This bill is for regulation purposes; to set rules for teaching the Bible. I believe this is to prevent what many are concerned about; teach, not preach.
Read it for yourself:
http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/...
so true! people never just read the article. This one is a good one, people read it!
Happy Pup

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

What is wrong in schools is that they took Jesus Christ out of schools and spanking. They both need to be put back in our schools. When Jesus was in our schools, there wasn't any chaos and fights. The kids behaved when they were both in the schools. Now they fight, tease and taunt, threaten, and kill other kids. There is enough terror in our country. Let's put a stop to all the terror, especially in our schools. Teach our kids that fighting and killing isn't the answer. There is enough killing in our country with the war. We don't need war in our own country.
Bad ideas abound

Clinton, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

Teaching the bible in a literacy aspect isn't a bad idea but also not a good idea either. It will open up the schools to lawsuits and waste precious funds on defending it in court. You have to know that there will be teachers that will cross the line between using it as a tool and preaching it. Then there will be the eventual challenge to the law in court that will use up more money. How are the school systems planning on over seeing this so that it doesn't cross the guidelines?

This is something that should be left to the parents and not grade schools. Colleges offer enough courses in this area.
Jesus Bash

Horse Cave, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

To teach the Bible as fact is an absurd suggestion. Many intelligent people realize that the thing is a work of fiction. So what of these people? Do their ideas and values have to be thrown away to make some religious fanatics happy?
GODS WARRIOR

Frankfort, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

what wrote:
This would be in direct conflict to the 1st Amendment to the Constitution - Separation of Church and State - and everyone's right to their own religious belief (or non-belief).
Actually, the constitution says that there should be no state-mandated religion... but the Supreme Court has agreed with the ACLU that this is incorrect...the Supreme Court needs to stay out of legislation and rule on law instead. I have had Madeline Murray O'Hare's venom shoved down my throat, my children's, and my grandchildren's, until I'm sick of it. She's the mouse that roared about no prayer in school, then it snopwballed into this tripe. What are you afraid of? That Christians may convert non-believers into a belief system where they aren't judged, and are taught to love others more that themselves? My goodness. what a heretical idea!
better schools

Flatwoods, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

Jesus Bsh wrote:
Our kids are not taught scientific facts now but a bunch of lies and our atheistic text books are already shoving their beliefs down our kids throats as it is. I do agree that as far as a class, it should be an elective. But really, what's wrong with a moral devotion in the mornings to get the day started and give them something to think about from time to time. Statistics are proven that school crime rates were very much lower before prayer and the Bible were removed from schools, and any dummy knows that.
Hell Awaits

Barbourville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2010

Judged:

you may be funny wrote:
<quoted text>how many kids do you know, that their parent take em to church.?
Is it required?math,english is

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

83 Users are viewing the Frankfort Forum right now

Search the Frankfort Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
loretta russsell 6 min blue eyes 7
Sheriff Melton are you SCARED??? 20 min Unbelievable Frankfort 13
fire department 30 min odd 10
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 39 min Ancient Wolf 81,202
Chinese buffets 56 min Mr. Rodgers 4
sheriff scandals 1 hr Anybody But Pat 48
4thDistrict Magistrate 1 hr Citizens 324
•••
•••