Indiana teen saves horses from slaughter

Dec 28, 2010 Full story: WTHR-TV Indianapolis 25

Some Indiana horses purchased for slaughter will live to see the new year thanks to an Indianapolis teenager who rescued them.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
lots of saving needed

Toronto, Canada

#1 Dec 28, 2010
Ole John

Indianapolis, IN

#2 Dec 28, 2010
Thank You roboblogger,

For mentioning this act of courage by this fine young lady.

I read the article, then a couple of comments left there,...it seems that one person has no problem with people eating horse meat.

I could understand having horse meat available, if there werent sooooooooooo many other alternatives
available for consumer use.

Its sad that the appeal for horse meat isnt because
of any unique flavor,..its just because it cheap !
Middle Class Mom

Cicero, IN

#3 Dec 28, 2010
Kudos to the teen who had the courage and will to stand up for these fine creatures. I wish there were more like her.
Arnie

Frankfort, IN

#4 Dec 28, 2010
What are you supposed to do with a old wore out horse???

“NOT RUSSIAN”

Since: May 08

and not from Russia

#5 Dec 28, 2010
Indiana horse saves teen from slaughter.... wait,...

what?
Ole John

Indianapolis, IN

#6 Dec 28, 2010
Arnie wrote:
What do ya do with Ole Worn Out People ?

Ya give them the common decency that ya do everything else,.let them grow old and gray.
qpost

Frankfort, IN

#7 Dec 28, 2010
Ole John wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya give them the common decency that ya do everything else,.let them grow old and gray.
Not if Obama gets his way
Middle Class Mom

Cicero, IN

#8 Dec 28, 2010
Arnie wrote:
The rescued horses that were shown on the news were in perfectly fine health.
sad

Toronto, Canada

#9 Dec 29, 2010
Arnie

Frankfort, IN

#10 Dec 31, 2010
Ole John wrote:
<quoted text>
Horse's are LIVESTOCK they are not human. Let me guess you probably fertilize your yard/garden/flowers.. Fertilizer is made out of livestock remains aka YOUR HORSE.....
Ted ate lead

Franklin, IN

#11 Jan 1, 2011
What about horse chips?
Are they bad for you, cause I ate alot of those when I was a kid?
there is hope

Indianapolis, IN

#12 Jan 1, 2011
the majority of the horses and ponies that are sent to slaughter are not old, they are young and healthy. Please research and understand the real problem before you say anything. the majority of the horses are from homes that can no longer afford to take care of the horse.

FOR THE PEOPLE THAT EAT HORSE MEAT
no horse is raised to be consumed. Horses are feed many medicines to prevent them from becoming sick. All Horses are vaccinated and wormed monthly with chemicals that are not safe safe or approved for human consumption! the sales or slaughter house have no way to know what chemicals are inside the horse. The horse is then slaughter and sold as meat, however this meat is NOT safe to eat by any means. BE AWARE OF WHAT YOU ARE EATING!! the chemicals that are inside the now ready to eat horse can have serious effects on your health and could even possibly lead to death.
Arnie

Frankfort, IN

#13 Jan 1, 2011
Horse vaccines and wormer are different than cow and pig??? The horse meat must meet FDA specs or it can not be sold.. What are we supposed to do with all of the excess horses??? Where are we going to get glue and dog food from with no horse slaughter houses???
Jimmy

Destin, FL

#14 Jan 1, 2011
I like mine with french fried potatos.
there is hope

Indianapolis, IN

#15 Jan 1, 2011
Yes horse vaccines and wormers are different from cow and pigs. Horses are not bred or raised to be consumed by humans. Horses are raised as pets or show horses. Horse vaccinations and wormers are not approved for human consumption. There are many unhealthy chemicals that are fed to horses - please go to this link to learn what is in horse meat and why it should be illegal to eat.
http://www.americanhorsemeat.com/horsemeat.ht...
there is hope

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Jan 1, 2011
there are other ways to make glue - horses remainders are just one possible way of making glue.
the majority of dog food is no longer made from horse meat. This is because the companies could not specially say what it in the meat - what chemicals and such -
There is a and will always be a problem with excess horses. There are many different Horse Rescue organizations than take unwanted or abused. the horses are then rehabilitate and found new homes.
and yes horse meat is NOT FDA approved! it is unbelievable that it is still sold. By no means is it safe to eat.
Arnie

Frankfort, IN

#17 Jan 2, 2011
Wonder how many months it takes to get rid of these chemicals?? Because I can only assume if the people are on hard times then they prob cann't afford vacs and wormer. When I was out west I rode a horse that I rented from a man that had 3,500 horses. These horses were utility vehicles not pets, and I'm pretty sure they didn't get monthy shots.
Sinister

United States

#18 Jan 2, 2011
Who cares? I mean really, who cares... To many children goin hungry in our country to be wasting time on farm animals... Hey! Maybe next week she'll save a baby duck! Awwww wouldn't that be cute? Make a difference in a neglected childs life, the horses are a non issue!
there is hope

Indianapolis, IN

#19 Jan 2, 2011
yes some people do not take proper care of their horses. If the guy never gave any vaccinations or wormers, the majority of his horses are probably in bad health and have worms.
Why do you think that horse meat is illegal in the US? It's because no one can guarantee what is in the horse.
It depends on the chemical some chemicals are only in the horses body for 180 days others last the hole horses life time.
I agree with you on the fact that they need a better way to take care of unwanted horses. Maybe start larger horses rescues that can take care of a larger number of horses. Or maybe humanly euthanize them

To Sinister:
yes there are many different problems in the world! However it if because of this narrow minded thinking that horses and other animals have suffered for such a long time. At least this young lady is making a difference even if it is a small start its a start. And she is only 17 years old! By the way what have you done? have you saved anyone's life?
swab member

Frankfort, IN

#20 Jan 2, 2011
This one time at band camp i saved someone from a dirty swirly. Does that count?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fountaintown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Blacks boycotting black friday lol 38 min blackology 1
Darrin Wilson Hero 44 min blackology 5
Live Feed ON/IN Ferguson from INFO WARS 14 hr who cares 2
Obama wants to be impeached 19 hr BlackGhettoThug 25
smack in the chops for NOBAMA 19 hr BlackGhettoThug 51
Indict Dorian Johnson!!! 20 hr Chuckie 2
Where to go for a free Thanksgiving dinner (Nov '07) Tue Chris 72
Fountaintown Dating
Find my Match

Fountaintown People Search