Fortville Christian Youth Home

Posted in the Fortville Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
curious

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 21, 2009
 
Does anyone know what happened to the Fortville Christian Youth Home? I know they closed, but I was wondering if anyone knew the story of it?
Around Here

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Mar 15, 2009
 
They closed because of lack of funding.
hmm

Santa Barbara, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 7, 2009
 
Headhunter 300M wrote:
<quoted text> That's interesting. It closed because of these parties? On what grounds?
hmm
Joseph

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 2, 2010
 
It's interesting that there were "homosexual and lesbian parties at that youth home", considering I and my sisters lived there for several years in the mid 80's.

While there was an allegation of an impropriety between the director and one of the girls at that time, there was nothing homosexual going on that involved either the staff or kids.

Of course that was 25 years ago, but I sincerely doubt if the culture of the home changed THAT much.

I rode my bicycle out that way last year and they were still in operation. A boy was playing basketball on the court next to the office....brought back memories. Maybe they restructured their debt load and operate under a different name & charter now? or the property was sold youth home organization??
beverly tenney hendricks

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 8, 2010
 
My parents started the youth home over 50 years ago. They loved helping kids and serving God. I spent my teen years there. I learned alot, would love to hear from anyone involved with the home now or in the past.
Joseph

Anderson, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 16, 2010
 
beverly tenney hendricks wrote:
My parents started the youth home over 50 years ago. They loved helping kids and serving God. I spent my teen years there. I learned alot, would love to hear from anyone involved with the home now or in the past.
I lived there with my sisters in the mid 80's. It was actually the best home environment I'd had in a long time. It's kind of disappointing to se that the wooded area behind the home had been turned into a development. I spent a good deal of time wandering those woods. The overall experience of living there was very positive. Your parents did a great thing. I wish I could return to that time and place.
beverly tenney hendricks

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 17, 2010
 
There are many times that I think about the home and miss it. It was a wonkerful town to grow up in. Everyone knew everyone, and was always ready with a helping hand. I really would love to donate time there again. Glad to hear from you and wish you and yours well.
krissy

Dekalb, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Nov 4, 2010
 
Joseph wrote:
It's interesting that there were "homosexual and lesbian parties at that youth home", considering I and my sisters lived there for several years in the mid 80's.
While there was an allegation of an impropriety between the director and one of the girls at that time, there was nothing homosexual going on that involved either the staff or kids.
Of course that was 25 years ago, but I sincerely doubt if the culture of the home changed THAT much.
I rode my bicycle out that way last year and they were still in operation. A boy was playing basketball on the court next to the office....brought back memories. Maybe they restructured their debt load and operate under a different name & charter now? or the property was sold youth home organization??
I lived there from 1995-2000 and there was never anything inappropriate between the staff and the kids there it was nothing less than a structured loving enviroment for kids whos parents abanonded or betrayed them. If it wasn't for the people that took care of me while I was there I can't imagine where I'd be now. It makes me sick that people would say these things happened.
Paul C

Mooresville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 24, 2011
 
I was a houseparent there around 1991 or 1992 and I have nothing but respect for the people I worked with. We stressed Godly values and discipline with love. It was a tough job but I don't regret the experience.
Beverly Tenney Hendricks

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 26, 2011
 
I wonder if the lawyer (Coment from above about parties and such) knows anything about the missing funds that led to the closing of the home? Sometimes I wonder what goes through people's minds. I too wish I could go back to a simpler time, where we felt safe and loved. So many kids, so much love. You are all in my prayers every day. God Bless and keep you in his arms.
D green

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 26, 2011
 
Beverly Tenney Hendricks wrote:
I wonder if the lawyer (Coment from above about parties and such) knows anything about the missing funds that led to the closing of the home? Sometimes I wonder what goes through people's minds. I too wish I could go back to a simpler time, where we felt safe and loved. So many kids, so much love. You are all in my prayers every day. God Bless and keep you in his arms.
Beverly,
We were houseparents for a short time in the 80's. I knew your parents. They were wonderul, god-fearing people. That "party" comment saddens me, because I know that it can not be true. I have a question for you about the Home. Is there someway that I can contact you. It's a timely issue, so your expedience would be appreciated.
gary

Elizabeth, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 23, 2013
 
Krissy i was there around the same time too terry was our staff at the boys house. It was a good place yet i think they were too strict on the children. It was hard enough losing your parents let alone have rules that make u feel like your not a normal child. U never could hang out with friends etc. Wish they would of made it feel more like a real home. The point systems were terrible or being restrained for nothing
Josh Atkins

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 9, 2013
 
I was there from 2001-2004, and it was awful. Terry was the biggest jerk. He would restrain me for looking at him wrong. Such a joke
witness

Pendleton, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 9, 2013
 
Around Here wrote:
They closed because of lack of funding.
This is true. It closed in August 2007.
servant of god

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 23, 2013
 
The home has indeed closed. The bank owns the property and rents it out to a childcare and partof the boy's house to a family. We use to be house parents there. If some of certain staff of the home were truly seeking God's direction, I believe it would still be open today. I believe that is true of many churches that close their doors as well. We tried to shine light there and give love. We felt as if some of the focus shifted away from God's direction to man's direction.
rstevenson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Nov 8, 2013
 
Joseph wrote:
It's interesting that there were "homosexual and lesbian parties at that youth home", considering I and my sisters lived there for several years in the mid 80's.
While there was an allegation of an impropriety between the director and one of the girls at that time, there was nothing homosexual going on that involved either the staff or kids.
Of course that was 25 years ago, but I sincerely doubt if the culture of the home changed THAT much.
I rode my bicycle out that way last year and they were still in operation. A boy was playing eebasketball on the court next to the office....brought back memories. Maybe they restructured their debt load and operate under a different name & charter now? or the property was sold youth home organization??
I was there in the 80 and I am one of the abuse happened to
rstevenson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Nov 8, 2013
 
I was sexualy abused by Daniel sellers when he use to run the home
rstevenson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Nov 8, 2013
 
curious wrote:
Does anyone know what happened to the Fortville Christian Youth Home? I dknow they closed, but I was wondering if e knew the story of it?
classes down because sexual abuse I was one of the girls that live there in 1979 to 1984
rstevenson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Nov 8, 2013
 
D green wrote:
<quoted text>
Beverly,
We were houseparents for a short time in the 80's. I knew your parents. They were wonderul, god-fearing people. That "party" comment saddens me, because I know that it can not be true. I have a question for you about the Home. Is there someway that I can contact you. It's a timely issue, so your expedience would be appreciated.
are you Debra green

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Fortville Discussions

Search the Fortville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
IN IN Property Tax Cap Amendment, Public Question 1 (Oct '10) Apr 19 squeezers 1,285
Fortville police roster is full (Oct '07) Apr 12 Wow 914
Auto insurance after a dui? Apr 4 mojebyzafah 1
watch out for a white chevy cavalier with ohio ... Mar 26 jon from ohio 1
Ajabu may sue over punishment (Dec '07) Mar '14 K meyer 306
snow Mar '14 Summer please! 1
Planned 'storybook village' draws critics (Sep '07) Feb '14 DSchmitz 99
•••
•••
•••
•••

Fortville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Fortville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••