Visitor

Pineville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2012

My family and I are planning to be in Destin the first week of April. I was really excited until I heard from a co-worker that when they went to Destin the water was filled w/ small swarms of jellyfish and when they came out of the water they looked like they had been attacked by a million mosquitoes. It was actually small jelly fish bites or stings. Can you tell me what time of year this happens? Also another time she went the water was covered with seaweed. Can you tell me about this too? I need to know so that I can change reservations if I need to. I know most of the time Destin has beautiful inviting beaches, but I don't want any part of these things! Thanks so much for your help!
Big Daddy Derek

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2012

Judged:

jellyfish and seaweed are the least of your worries, i lived here most of my life and i would be more worried about BullSharks there is a large population of em in the gulf and they are very aggressive if u ever encounter one you will see what i meen, not trying to scare you just being honest i have been on top of highrise condo's and actually watch them swim around people and them not even know it, and as employee's we arent allowed to say anything because its bad for bussiness, the seaweed is called june seaweed it comes in may and june and smells real bad, bout the only thing locals use the gulf for is fishing and sunbathing, if u wanna go swimming check out some of the local springs and creeks like vortex springs or morrison springs ice cold crystal clear water and they also have camping and they rent rooms anyway good luck..
Pedro

Cantonment, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2012

Judged:

jellyfish, sharks, stingrays, tourists, snowbirds, rednecks, hicks, drunks, barracuda, sluts, fairies, dykes, the list goes on & on, Seņor
Jerry

Panama City Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 24, 2012

Judged:

Visit Panama City Beach, ew don't have any of that mess. Although the water temp right now is only about 72
EiGHT5ZERO

Fort Walton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 26, 2012

Destin is a beautiful place!! Jellyfish arent an issue usually at the beach!! I surf daily off the island and I have never been stung or attacked by sharks lol... However just like any other beach (panama city beach) we do have seaweed from time to time!! but usually crystal clear, calm, beach water!! if jellyfish schools are near, you will see a PURPLE FLAG!!! For best time I suggest beaches of South Walton county which is East Destin/San Destin area!! Voted in the TOP 10 Beaches!!
local

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2012

Visitor wrote:
My family and I are planning to be in Destin the first week of April. I was really excited until I heard from a co-worker that when they went to Destin the water was filled w/ small swarms of jellyfish and when they came out of the water they looked like they had been attacked by a million mosquitoes. It was actually small jelly fish bites or stings. Can you tell me what time of year this happens? Also another time she went the water was covered with seaweed. Can you tell me about this too? I need to know so that I can change reservations if I need to. I know most of the time Destin has beautiful inviting beaches, but I don't want any part of these things! Thanks so much for your help!
there are jellyfish in every ocean and they migrate all the time you never know when or where they are going to be but the pacific coast is not as nasty and its colder . just watch fr sharks .and seaweed is in every ocean as well . Id suggest a lake like lake michigan.
local

Birmingham, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 28, 2012

Judged:

EiGHT5ZERO wrote:
Destin is a beautiful place!! Jellyfish arent an issue usually at the beach!! I surf daily off the island and I have never been stung or attacked by sharks lol... However just like any other beach (panama city beach) we do have seaweed from time to time!! but usually crystal clear, calm, beach water!! if jellyfish schools are near, you will see a PURPLE FLAG!!! For best time I suggest beaches of South Walton county which is East Destin/San Destin area!! Voted in the TOP 10 Beaches!!
you are correct
Bull

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2012

Big Daddy Derek wrote:
jellyfish and seaweed are the least of your worries, i lived here most of my life and i would be more worried about BullSharks there is a large population of em in the gulf and they are very aggressive if u ever encounter one you will see what i meen, not trying to scare you just being honest i have been on top of highrise condo's and actually watch them swim around people and them not even know it, and as employee's we arent allowed to say anything because its bad for bussiness, the seaweed is called june seaweed it comes in may and june and smells real bad, bout the only thing locals use the gulf for is fishing and sunbathing, if u wanna go swimming check out some of the local springs and creeks like vortex springs or morrison springs ice cold crystal clear water and they also have camping and they rent rooms anyway good luck..
do you own these camp sites? Bull sharks have been found in fresh water too! Just saying. Beach tips see facts about swimming in the ocean.
Ago gal

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2012

Judged:

How are the jellyfish now? We are looking at coming down the end of may early June?
Tax payer

Freeport, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2012

Not seen a thing but, dolphins
On vacation from Ky

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 30, 2012

Tax payer wrote:
Not seen a thing but, dolphins
I'm currently on vacation in destin. My daughter and I were both stung by jellyfish today...
Keep updates

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2012

thanks for all the info bieng posted, our trip is planned for june 13-23. Im an avid fisherman and usually go out in the surf and cast as far out as i can to fish. The june grass makes fishing from shore a headache so thats what i worry about more then sharks or jelly's. Keep this thread going with daily updates!!! I love destin, been coming down in June for the last 5 years, the first two never seen the first bit of june grass but the last three have been pretty bad, praying it stays away this year.
John

Destin, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Never been here when we didn't get a small jellyfish sting or 2. No big deal. Here now and loving it! Jellyfish are not an issue.
Keep updates

Elizabethtown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Hey john, how about the moss and june grass and what part of destin are u at???
STL Beach Captain

O Fallon, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a time of year when the Jellyfish are worse? We are going to Miramar Beach towards the end of July and were wondering if the Jellyfish will be bad then.
KC Dad

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 27, 2012

We are heading down to Destin tomorrow, just curious if the June grass or jelly fish are out? Looking forward to another great week on the Destin beaches with the family!
Bob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

June grass only comes in during warmer months, you'll see it crawling up on the beaches, climbing up trees, and stealing cars
Tayler

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Im in destin right now I was just in the water. I or stung about five times by little jellyfish! But they don't hurt to me they felt like fire ant bites! And they only leave little red marks! Which it's been about 40 minutes and they've ready gone down! They surprise you the first time but after that they're fine! at the moment there is a YELLOW AND PURPLE(!) flag up! Becareful and be safe and most of all HAVE FUN!!
Tayler

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

SORRY FOR TE TYPOS!!! iPhone >\\<
leaving destin 8-3-12

Fort Walton Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

...we have been here in destin and ft. walton all week and the seaweed and seagrass is absolutely awful!!!!When you get out of the ocean, you are covered in the slimy stuff. Worst I've ever seen. Also, the beach is covered in these weird looking pink blobs that don't move yet appear to be jellyfish without tentacles. I googled it and they might be called sea pork or sea ham, cause they look pink like ham maybe...anyway, its gross. And also these gray colored blobs that leak purple stuff, and they do move!!!I understand its a beautiful and living ocean, I'm just not used to seeing this stuff in Destin. If I had known this stuff before I left for here, I would have rescheduled my one and only vacation for the year.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Walton Beach Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) 7 hr Liberal forever 2,954
County stays the course on backyard chicken ban Mon Another opinion 4
Hundreds Gathered to Honor and Defend SFC Harri... Aug 25 laurelei 2
robert eric burkes (Oct '07) Aug 24 Dr Hei 21
Review: Bruce Haught Disability Attorney (Apr '13) Aug 24 disability 4
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) Aug 23 Sadira Snape 2,456
FL Who do you support for Attorney General in Flor... (Oct '10) Aug 23 Taxus 2,120
•••
•••
•••

Fort Walton Beach Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Fort Walton Beach People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Fort Walton Beach News, Events & Info