City manager gets a raise

Posted in the Fort Scott Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Yep

Fort Scott, KS

#1 Aug 22, 2012
Surely this is a mistake in the paper this morning? If it is for real.....WHY!
yup

United States

#2 Aug 22, 2012
I am appalled at the Tribune for the lightning rod headline. All staff, including Martin, got a 2% raise. Lol. I'm glad that all the staff were able to get raises. When I read the headline, I was taken back too...then you read the article & its a good thing for many people.

I'm glad to see some progression in this town the last couple of years. Recreational facilities, some new business in the south part of town. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Just saying

Redfield, KS

#3 Aug 22, 2012
Median yearly wage in Fort Scott in 2009 was $31,967. (Googled it.) It is probably much lower now since the bottom fell out in 2009. I agree that Fort Scott continues to make improvements, but our Chamber of Commerce, established businesses, local clubs and organizations and many individuals also have a big influence on the direction of our city. It is not just due to the manager of the city that there is growth and improvement.
yup

United States

#4 Aug 22, 2012
Agreed. I hope that everyone is pulling together to make Fort Scott better, rather than coming onto Topix to bash, tear down & hurt. I applaud Martin, Chamber & anyone else who has been helpful in making some of these new amenities a reality. Are there issues? OF COURSE....but we can never build up, if people tear down.
KY for a reason

Ballwin, MO

#5 Aug 22, 2012
I believe the town and county are moving in the right direction. I believe the mood of the town is generally more positive. It feels as if all people are being heard. Does everyone get their way? No, but that never happens in a representative democracy. Being heard and not marginalized makes a big difference. Dave Martin has reached out and listened to those that were not listened to a few years ago.
Ben Dover

Redfield, KS

#6 Aug 22, 2012
Glad to see the people who actually do the work get a raise.
Mom

Fort Scott, KS

#8 Aug 22, 2012
Wow, 2 percent.
I like Dave. He is doing a great job. I know I wouldn't want to do it. He deserves every dime.
nice

United States

#9 Aug 22, 2012
Agreed. A hard job indeed. With any leader, I am sure he has rubbed some ppl the wrong way & made some mistakes, but generally, I believe he is doing some nice things...in conjunction with the Chamber & other groups
Zip

Fort Scott, KS

#10 Aug 23, 2012
I have nothing against Dave Martin or any of the city workers.

My issue is how many companies in Fort Scott gave a 2% across the board raise to their employees? How many people in Fort Scott received a 2% raise this year?

Didn't city workers receive a raise last year?

What percentage of the city's budget goes for employees (including benefits) and what percentage is left over for things in the city?
Tapped-Out

Wichita, KS

#11 Aug 23, 2012
It just dont sound good, bad move. It was not worth the bad PR.
MeOrYou

Fort Scott, KS

#12 Aug 23, 2012
yup wrote:
I am appalled at the Tribune for the lightning rod headline. All staff, including Martin, got a 2% raise. Lol. I'm glad that all the staff were able to get raises. When I read the headline, I was taken back too...then you read the article & its a good thing for many people.
I'm glad to see some progression in this town the last couple of years. Recreational facilities, some new business in the south part of town. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
What's wrong with you?!!? We have a &75,000.00 'error' under his watchful eye! Plus we are facing. Threat of higher taxes for $1.5 Million 'error' in County taxes which cuts income to city budget, no police chief and can somebody who is so excited please without searching or a day or two just spout off top of your head ALL the 'good for all taxpayers' happenings we have seen over the last years? Things that have benefited the people as a whole? Let me see if I can, let's see..... Gun Park improvement OH plus Golf Course ( now there is a community project) attempting to upgrade water lines and making some progress there, ummmmmm.......help me here, I seem to be drawing a blank. I know there are surely more as the city management has been really busy! Someone quickly tell us why we are not as excited as you because we don't have a clue as to what is going on in our City! I am all ears and seriously i really do want to know. Don't give me streets because I go a lot so am sick to my stomach a lot and am tensed up the whole time I am riding through town.
And I thank you in advance for informing me as to what I am missing that is a gift to our citizens as a whole for our tax dollars. What is management doing, please?

“Out of the Darkness that is FS”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#13 Aug 24, 2012
Has everyone EVER been happy with one of the city managers? Not that I have seen. If you are complaining, have you complained directly to Dave Martin? Did you contact the city commission members? Did you even vote? I have talked with Dave Martin many times. He was always polite, listened to what I had to say and gave me feedback. If nothing else, I gave him another perspective to take into account or not. As far as the golf course, I would not have chosen to make that purchase but in Dave's defense, when I asked about it about the costs, he provided an analysis of best and worst financial scenarios which I assumed he had researched himself and I know that he had went through an extensive thought process before deciding to move forward not just a slap on the back good ole' boy deal for the upper crust. I know from talking with him that he does do research and does hands on with people coming in to look at the community. He got me answers and sometimes I did not like them but, still, he had his reasoning behind it and explained that. Yeah, don't give me how they are busy at city hall and I shouldn't have been calling and bothering them since they do put my tax dollars in their pockets each payday. I was never given the attitude by any of the staff that they didn't have time to answer my questions or direct me as necessary. I believe that Dave Martin is trying to do the best that he can do and giving it 200% as he really, really seems to want to do a great job. Comparing his private versus government work careers are like comparing apples to oranges and quite possibly, he is a better fit in government than the private sector. I could be totally wrong. The position of city manager is a very difficult one here because the town has really been ran into the ground and before it can proceed upward, the downward spiral has to stop and the direction has to change. I figure you been going down hill for 30 years anyway so 3 years to turn it around, I don't think so. I do see the City Manager blamed for many issues that are really the fault of the city commission so, people, learn about how government works before complaining and that will help you look a little smarter than the person you are complaining about. Get together and talk with Dave Martin and give him your thoughts and see what he has to say. Give him a chance. It could be worse, he could be replaced by the Assistant City manager, then you got trouble because it will be a "dynasty" instead of a democracy. Unless business and industry are recruited thus widening the tax base, you can't expect a lot of improvements because the money is just not here.
Aunt Esther

United States

#14 Aug 24, 2012
MeOrYou wrote:
<quoted text>
What's wrong with you?!!? We have a &75,000.00 'error' under his watchful eye! Plus we are facing. Threat of higher taxes for $1.5 Million 'error' in County taxes which cuts income to city budget, no police chief and can somebody who is so excited please without searching or a day or two just spout off top of your head ALL the 'good for all taxpayers' happenings we have seen over the last years? Things that have benefited the people as a whole? Let me see if I can, let's see..... Gun Park improvement OH plus Golf Course ( now there is a community project) attempting to upgrade water lines and making some progress there, ummmmmm.......help me here, I seem to be drawing a blank. I know there are surely more as the city management has been really busy! Someone quickly tell us why we are not as excited as you because we don't have a clue as to what is going on in our City! I am all ears and seriously i really do want to know. Don't give me streets because I go a lot so am sick to my stomach a lot and am tensed up the whole time I am riding through town.
And I thank you in advance for informing me as to what I am missing that is a gift to our citizens as a whole for our tax dollars. What is management doing, please?
a bunch of incoherent rambling. take a deep breath and try again.
this is messed up

Fort Scott, KS

#15 Aug 26, 2012
Zip wrote:
I have nothing against Dave Martin or any of the city workers.
My issue is how many companies in Fort Scott gave a 2% across the board raise to their employees? How many people in Fort Scott received a 2% raise this year?
Didn't city workers receive a raise last year?
What percentage of the city's budget goes for employees (including benefits) and what percentage is left over for things in the city?
I see that no one has answered any of these questions. I'd like to know the answer to "what percentage of the city's budget goes for employees (including benefits) and what percentage is left over for things in the city?"
Aunt Esther

United States

#16 Aug 26, 2012
Human resources is always the largest line item in a business budget. it is for the U234, city, county , Mercy, ward/kraft etc.. what point were you trying to make ? Senior citizens got at least a 2% raise this year. if memory serves my correctly they have missed getting a raise only once in the last decade.
Whatnext

Fort Scott, KS

#17 Aug 26, 2012
MeOrYou makes perfect sense. Read it with the thought of what is wrong with all of you! Good grief! Think outside the box.
Common sense

Fort Scott, KS

#18 Aug 27, 2012
Aunt Esther wrote:
Human resources is always the largest line item in a business budget. it is for the U234, city, county , Mercy, ward/kraft etc.. what point were you trying to make ? Senior citizens got at least a 2% raise this year. if memory serves my correctly they have missed getting a raise only once in the last decade.
I've never heard of a company whose line item budget for Human Resources has been larger than what their sales are. Could be because they are no longer in business.

So are you saying that because seniors got a 2% raise that it was ok for the city workers to get a 2% raise? Wonder how much the mill levy could have been decreased without that 2%?
makes sense

Olathe, KS

#19 Aug 27, 2012
Abd just think. If the city could fire all their long time employees and have new hires at lwer starting wages then the city could save even more money. I vote that the city fires their employees every year on december 31st and hire new. I am sure some of these people bitching on here would go work for minimum wage.
Jayhawk Rd resident

Fort Scott, KS

#20 Aug 27, 2012
I would think the City Manager also gets a raise just looking at the Asst. City Manager.
Ahno

Hutchinson, KS

#21 Aug 27, 2012
Jayhawk Rd resident wrote:
I would think the City Manager also gets a raise just looking at the Asst. City Manager.
I doubt he has thoughts like that about her but obviously, you do. Time for a visit to the optometrist!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Scott Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are You Kidding Me? 1 hr Fed up 5
city of ftscott vs shannen leeviy price 21 hr THINK4URSELF 11
Confederate flag (Aug '12) Sat silent 44
La Hacienda Downtown Better Than El Charro (Mar '11) Fri Gordo Gringo 34
the end is here!!! Fri logicalmind35 4
Merry Christmas Fri Merry Christmas 4
stupid republicans (May '13) Thu Snake peter 748

Fort Scott News Video

Fort Scott Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fort Scott People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fort Scott News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fort Scott

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:48 pm PST

ESPN12:48PM
Coughlin wears tribute to slain NYPD officers
Bleacher Report 1:19 PM
Chiefs vs. Steelers: Score and Twitter Reaction from 2014 Regular Season
NBC Sports 1:27 PM
Steelers wrap up playoff berth, top Chiefs 20-12 - NBC Sports
Yahoo! Sports 1:28 PM
Steelers beat Chiefs, return to playoffs
Bleacher Report 1:36 PM
Never Get Near a Kicker's Feet