First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Christian

Ripley, WV

#1 Dec 29, 2012
What is your opinion of the Church of Christ? Do you think it is a cult?
ole timer

Clendenin, WV

#2 Dec 31, 2012
well lets see,first you get brainwashed into believing in a stronger power,yep all religions are cults.
What

Aldrich, MO

#3 Dec 31, 2012
ole timer wrote:
well lets see,first you get brainwashed into believing in a stronger power,yep all religions are cults.
You've been brainwashed by the father of deception (Satan) into believing there is no God. What a ignorant jerk!
What

Aldrich, MO

#4 Dec 31, 2012
Christian wrote:
What is your opinion of the Church of Christ? Do you think it is a cult?
When one puts baptism above even the sacrifice of Christ upon the cross and the rebirth of no importance by faith what would you call it but a cult?
ole timer

Clendenin, WV

#5 Dec 31, 2012
What;you call me an ignorant jerk,is that also your socalled satan,o more like a video game,when you die you come back alive what kind of sacrafice is that?you make no sence.
Patriot

United States

#6 Jan 28, 2013
Christian wrote:
What is your opinion of the Church of Christ? Do you think it is a cult?
I've heard that before. Why are they a cult?
The Voice of Truth

Chicago, IL

#7 Jan 30, 2013
A great question! Cults have a leader, usually living, who has absolute authority and often claims to be God. The churches of Christ believes all authority of the church lies with Christ through God. No man may lay claim; no preacher, pastor, reverend, priest, etc. Cults often have their own literature in addition to the Bible (such as creeds, by-laws, etc.) that are made by men and not authorized by Christ. The churches of Christ follow and teach only the God-inspired scriptures of the Holy Bible. Cults usually require exorbitant financial contributions. The churches of Christ teach only what the scriptures say to lay by and store. No person is coerced or forced into giving money. Further, colllections are only taken up "upon the first day of the week", not during Wednesday Bible study or Thursday concerts or any other day of the week. Cults tend to have long and tedious requirements to become members; they must prove themselves. The churches of Christ require only that which the Bible requires for membership- hear the Word, believe the Word, Repent of sins, confess Christ, and be baptized for remission of sins. Cult leaders control most aspects of members' lives (ie: where to live, who to marry, communication with family members, employment, etc.). The leadership of the church of Christ at Fort Gay is currently made up of every male member of the congregation, including the preacher. All decisions and business are voted on by the men, in absence of elders. The only mandates regarding members' lives are those mandated in the Bible; don't steal, don't gossip, etc. As for time together, many members spend time outside of services with one another, but this is never mandatory. They enjoy an optional picnic every fall and occasional fellowship dinners. Worship services are held each Sunday morning and evening and Bible study is held each Wednesday. Cults have something to hide but the church of Christ does not. They keep their doors open. They can and will back any claim with scripture. They speak where the Bible speaks and are silent where the Bible is silent. And, just to clarify, the "church of Christ" or "churches of Christ" are not Mormons. They are not the United Church of Christ. They are not "Moonies", as in the group led by a Korean man who believed himself to be God and practiced mass weddings. They are not the Universal Church of Christ. Or, to further clarify 'Mormon', they are not the Church of Christ of Latter-Day Saints, who may have knocked on your door telling you about the Book of Mormon. They are no other group whose name includes 'church of Christ". They are an autonomous, non-denominational group of Christians who strive to completely follow the Bible. They are not a cult. Period.
Well

Logan, WV

#8 Jan 31, 2013
They are not a cult but they are one misled bunch of people.

They believe in no music in Church when the Bible clearly speaks of the use of musical instruments in worship.

They speak of full immersion baptism as a MUST for salvation when the Bible clearly states that all must do to be saved is call upon the name of Lord.
The Voice of Truth

Chicago, IL

#9 Jan 31, 2013
Well wrote:
They are not a cult but they are one misled bunch of people.
They believe in no music in Church when the Bible clearly speaks of the use of musical instruments in worship.
They speak of full immersion baptism as a MUST for salvation when the Bible clearly states that all must do to be saved is call upon the name of Lord.
And some more mistruths! They most certainly believe in music as a necessary aspect of worship, they merely do so without mechanical instrumentation. Scripture under Mosaic Law (ie: the Old Testament) did call for certain instruments. But the New Testament clearly says that we are no longer under the Old Law. And if we were, Christ came and died in vain. New Testament scripture simply tells us to sing. And as for baptism, scripture surely does say it is a requirement, and it must be full-immersion as that is what the word "baptism" means! Refer to the book of Acts at the first 'service'. In Acts 2:38 the apostle Paul tell all in attendance to "repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ FOR the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost". In verse 41 we see that "they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls". So I will agree with you that baptism is most certainly not necessary- unless you gladly receive the word and want your sins taken away.
Well

Logan, WV

#10 Jan 31, 2013
The Voice of Truth wrote:
<quoted text> And some more mistruths! They most certainly believe in music as a necessary aspect of worship, they merely do so without mechanical instrumentation. Scripture under Mosaic Law (ie: the Old Testament) did call for certain instruments. But the New Testament clearly says that we are no longer under the Old Law. And if we were, Christ came and died in vain. New Testament scripture simply tells us to sing. And as for baptism, scripture surely does say it is a requirement, and it must be full-immersion as that is what the word "baptism" means! Refer to the book of Acts at the first 'service'. In Acts 2:38 the apostle Paul tell all in attendance to "repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ FOR the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost". In verse 41 we see that "they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls". So I will agree with you that baptism is most certainly not necessary- unless you gladly receive the word and want your sins taken away.
Romans 10:13

13 For “whosoever calls on the name of the Lord SHALL be saved.”

NOT "whosoever calls on the name of the Lord AND IS BAPTIZED shall be saved."

As for musical instruments.

Psalm 33:2

Give thanks to the Lord with the lyre; Sing praises to Him with a harp of ten strings.

Psalm 71:22 "I will also praise Thee with a harp, even Thy truth, O my God; to Thee I will sing praises with the lyre, O Thou Holy One of Israel."

There are many more scriptures of the like. I refer you to following link.

http://carm.org/questions/about-church/can-we...
Robert

Hurricane, WV

#11 Jan 31, 2013
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 10:13
13 For “whosoever calls on the name of the Lord SHALL be saved.”
Not every one that said to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that DOES the will of my Father which is in heaven.- Matthew 7:21
Well

Logan, WV

#12 Jan 31, 2013
Robert wrote:
<quoted text>
Not every one that said to me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that DOES the will of my Father which is in heaven.- Matthew 7:21
Ephesians 2:8–9

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God 9 NOT as a result of works, so that no one may boast.
The Voice of Truth

Chicago, IL

#13 Feb 1, 2013
Well wrote:
<quoted text>
Romans 10:13
13 For “whosoever calls on the name of the Lord SHALL be saved.”
NOT "whosoever calls on the name of the Lord AND IS BAPTIZED shall be saved."
As for musical instruments.
Psalm 33:2
Give thanks to the Lord with the lyre; Sing praises to Him with a harp of ten strings.
Psalm 71:22 "I will also praise Thee with a harp, even Thy truth, O my God; to Thee I will sing praises with the lyre, O Thou Holy One of Israel."
There are many more scriptures of the like. I refer you to following link.
http://carm.org/questions/about-church/can-we...
Oh, you're following Mosaic Law. Sorry, didn't know you were Jewish.
Well

Logan, WV

#14 Feb 1, 2013
The Voice of Truth wrote:
<quoted text> Oh, you're following Mosaic Law. Sorry, didn't know you were Jewish.
I am not Jewish.
Well

Logan, WV

#15 Feb 1, 2013
The Voice of Truth wrote:
<quoted text> Oh, you're following Mosaic Law. Sorry, didn't know you were Jewish.
Here is some New Testament scripture for you.

Furthermore, in Eph 5:19, the phrase "making melody" is the Greek word, psallo which means, "1) to pluck off, pull out, 2) to cause to vibrate by touching, to twang, 2a) to touch or strike the chord, to twang the strings of a musical instrument so that they gently vibrate, 2b) to play on a stringed instrument, to play, the harp, etc. 2c) to sing to the music of the harp 2d) in the NT to sing a hymn, to celebrate the praises of God in song."1 We can see that the making melody to the Lord involves the use of musical instruments.
So tired of this

Saint Albans, WV

#16 Feb 1, 2013
This is why the church has such a bad name. They try to shove this down everyone's throat and act as if this church is the only one that is going to heaven, its their way or no way. I am of Baptist belief, but I visit all churches, have all my life. As I got older and turned my heart to Jesus, accepted him, was forgiven of my sins, and YES I was baptized in the creek the old fashioned way with a big snow on; I learned to be led by God, not by man or man's belief's. If you are a true Christian, you do something wrong, God will let you know, man doesn't have to. Right then you ask for forgiveness as we fail daily. Read your own bible, ask for wisdom and the grace is there to cover you and see you thru any trial. Music is not going to hurt anyone, that is nit picking and that can cause a lot of people to turn back to the world cause they get confused and don't know what to do. If the church would quit the nit picking, and focus on salvation only, you would see a lot more people come to the Lord. This runs people off!! We have one Freewill Baptist Church in the community also that nit picks and I couldn't tell you how many people have back slid and turned away because of that. Woman can't wear make up or pants, can't cut their hair. People live your own salvation and quit picking at others. Let God do the condemning, you don't have the right.How this church gets their rules is all man made no matter what they try to cling to in the bible, its from man. The Freewill that does the same thing, is like no other Freewill in the country, once again, its man made. Cults??? Yeah no wonder people think they are one, cause they think its their way or no way. Pray one for another and let God lead, not man!!
William

Birmingham, AL

#17 Feb 3, 2013
Anyone who believes that they can lose their salvation after hearing the gospel of Jesus Christ isn't saved to begin with. This sums up the Church of Christ perfectly. Go into any one of their churches and ask one of their members.

But what saith the scriptures?

The Ephesian gentiles heard, believed, and TRUSTED the gospel of Jesus Christ and were sealed BY the holy spirit until the day of redemption. Ephesians 1 and 4 makes this clear.

What IS the gospel of Jesus Christ?

1 Corinthians 15:1-4

That Christ died FOR OUR SINS, was buried, and resurrected by God FOR OUR justification if we believe and TRUST what was done FOR US at Calvary.

Will you TRUST what was done FOR YOU? Do it today if you haven't already.
The Voice of Truth

Chicago, IL

#18 Feb 3, 2013
So tired of this wrote:
This is why the church has such a bad name. They try to shove this down everyone's throat and act as if this church is the only one that is going to heaven, its their way or no way. I am of Baptist belief, but I visit all churches, have all my life. As I got older and turned my heart to Jesus, accepted him, was forgiven of my sins, and YES I was baptized in the creek the old fashioned way with a big snow on; I learned to be led by God, not by man or man's belief's. If you are a true Christian, you do something wrong, God will let you know, man doesn't have to. Right then you ask for forgiveness as we fail daily. Read your own bible, ask for wisdom and the grace is there to cover you and see you thru any trial. Music is not going to hurt anyone, that is nit picking and that can cause a lot of people to turn back to the world cause they get confused and don't know what to do. If the church would quit the nit picking, and focus on salvation only, you would see a lot more people come to the Lord. This runs people off!! We have one Freewill Baptist Church in the community also that nit picks and I couldn't tell you how many people have back slid and turned away because of that. Woman can't wear make up or pants, can't cut their hair. People live your own salvation and quit picking at others. Let God do the condemning, you don't have the right.How this church gets their rules is all man made no matter what they try to cling to in the bible, its from man. The Freewill that does the same thing, is like no other Freewill in the country, once again, its man made. Cults??? Yeah no wonder people think they are one, cause they think its their way or no way. Pray one for another and let God lead, not man!!
No, this was most certainly NOT "shoving" anything down anyone's throat. It began in RESPONSE. And I do not see how a reasonable individual would think another reasonable individual would not correct and give facts about their faith in light of being called a follower of a CULT. I believe a person has every right to believe what they choose to believe. But when one implies my faith to be a cult and another says we are "misled", I will post my beliefs. You may think what you like about the church, but we are not the ones on Topix calling names merely because we differ in opinion.
JEWBOY

High Springs, FL

#19 Feb 4, 2013
The Voice of Truth wrote:
<quoted text> And some more mistruths! They most certainly believe in music as a necessary aspect of worship, they merely do so without mechanical instrumentation. Scripture under Mosaic Law (ie: the Old Testament) did call for certain instruments. But the New Testament clearly says that we are no longer under the Old Law. And if we were, Christ came and died in vain. New Testament scripture simply tells us to sing. And as for baptism, scripture surely does say it is a requirement, and it must be full-immersion as that is what the word "baptism" means! Refer to the book of Acts at the first 'service'. In Acts 2:38 the apostle Paul tell all in attendance to "repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ FOR the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost". In verse 41 we see that "they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls". So I will agree with you that baptism is most certainly not necessary- unless you gladly receive the word and want your sins taken away.
Tell me were in the Bible is clearly says that we are no longer under the old COVENANT (ie old Testament)? That is what is wrong with the so called church today!!! YOU have left out TORAH !! and think that every thing was nailed to the cross and we are all under grace, TRUE we are under GRACE BUT NO WHERE DOES THE BIBLE CLEARLY SAY TO FORGET THE TORAH !!! There will be a suitcase parade when he says DEPART FROM ME I NEVER KNEW YOU.
So Tired of this

Saint Albans, WV

#20 Feb 13, 2013
The Voice of Truth wrote:
<quoted text> No, this was most certainly NOT "shoving" anything down anyone's throat. It began in RESPONSE. And I do not see how a reasonable individual would think another reasonable individual would not correct and give facts about their faith in light of being called a follower of a CULT. I believe a person has every right to believe what they choose to believe. But when one implies my faith to be a cult and another says we are "misled", I will post my beliefs. You may think what you like about the church, but we are not the ones on Topix calling names merely because we differ in opinion.
Yes it is shoving it down peoples throats, when you say it has to be a certain way and any of us can come right back with more scripture to upset the apple cart so to speak. I didn't call anyone any names, I said, no wonder people think they are cults, I didn't say you were one. You may not be calling names on here but what about the paper that came in the mail this week. I was very offended by it. I think everything was taken out of context and Charles Stanley was called a "charlatan", a "false teacher", "counterfeit preacher",,,is that not NAME CALLING??? Everything that was put in there about what Charles Stanley said was turned around to suit the "so called Church of Christ". I totally understood what he was saying and I saw the twisting of how it was being twisted to try to make sense for the Church of Christ doctrine. For someone who doesn't know the bible well enough, that could really confuse and mess them up reading what was in that paper. I agree with Charles Stanley, I like his preaching and teaching, he does it with love, not brow beating or putting other preachers down. SHAME on YOU!!! SHAME on the writer of the paper!! I really wish they would quit putting it in my mailbox, it greatly offended me this week. I definitely disagree with what was in that paper and what you are putting on here. I CHOOSE my God, I CHOOSE my Lord Jesus Christ, and I CHOOSE my Bible and praying for understanding and wisdom. I will not accept what any MAN dictates if it is man made!! I just pray that all young Christians do the same and don't get drug into to all this foolishness!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fort Gay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Rocky Smith 2016 (Dec '13) 35 min Buford Pusser 31
Austin Adkins 1 hr That1guy 1
Brandy Steele?!? 8 hr really 46
Angie Hampton (Nov '12) 12 hr oh well 69
new church 16 hr OUT WAYNE MAN 2
Anthony McCloud (May '14) 17 hr Lavy 10
Austin Fraley 19 hr Drinking alone 1
Fort Gay Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Fort Gay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fort Gay News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fort Gay

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:46 pm PST

Bleacher Report10:46PM
AFC Wild Card 2015: Bengals vs. Colts, Ravens vs. Steelers Early Preview
Yahoo! Sports12:45 AM
Steelers win AFC North but lose Bell to injury
NBC Sports 2:35 AM
A.J. Green in concussion protocol
NFL 3:54 AM
Mike Tomlin downplays spat with Reggie Nelson
NFL 3:54 AM
Mike Tomlin downplays spat with Reggie Nelson