Yet another vestige of Branson's past disappears as the backhoe destroy the Sammy Lane Pirate Cru...

Mar 31, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Branson Courier

Keep up with the latest Branson happenings. Sign up here your free e-mail subscription to the Branson Courier Yet another vestige of Branson's past disappears as the backhoe destroy the Sammy Lane Pirate Cruise ... via Branson Courier

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Carolyn in Indiana

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

Does the local people think that the new Moringside being built in Blue Eye will be good for the area or bad?
Carolyn

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

Do you the local people believe that Moringside being built in Blue Eye will help or hurt Branson?

Since: Apr 07

MOTOWN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

Read the thread about Morningside and you'll see what "the locals" think about it, and about Jim Bakker. There have been plenty of comments about it.

Since: Apr 07

MOTOWN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2007

http://www.topix.net/forum/city/branson-mo/TU...

There's where all our opinions on Morningside are. Have yourself a ball.
adobelover

Fayetteville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

I made my first visit to Branson in 1967. It was a quaint little burg with a 4 way stop in the center of town. Spent many hours fishing off the dock of Empire Inn. Mom and I stayed at Sammi Lane Resort and rode on the Pirate Boat. Steal Your Dollar City was just getting started and out in the boondocks. I can remember a small shopping center on the outside of Branson on the "hill" with a Mark III shoe store...the 5 & 10 on Main Street...the Pink Dollhouse. There were only a couple of music shows then. I have many happy memories of Branson and it's so sad to realize it's all gone for love of the almighty dollar!
AJ Dean

College Station, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2008

witchypoo wrote:
Oh ,I know some people are getting sick of me saying the same thing.They will not listen.I have been watching and taking as many pictures as I can.When I hear they are about to tear down something I am there .Trying to preserve what once was.When I see a old bridge,old home,old school any thing in the path of progress I am there.God ,I`m starting to sound like a superhero.I watch too many movies with my grandchildren.But, really I`m just trying to preserve the past.I don`t want anyone to forget how beautiful the past really was.
Well ya better get on over to 248 North...they are dozing everything in site....wanna see something totally hilarious??? On the corner of 248 & Gretna there is a new bank..and behind it they built a 2 story strip mall last year...it sits totally empty!!! But thats not the good part...they are just now completing another one directly in front of the empty one....I guess it's to hide the one they can't get leased out!!! Let's doze everything and make more empty strip malls....looks GREAT!!!
dontknowdou1bran soncom

Humble, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2008

I love the history of branson
Rose

Greenwood, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

My family used to stay at Sammy Lane every year, from the mid 80's until the year before they closed, because when the owners sold it we lost our reservation for the last year, when we were supposed to be staying in cabin 1, which we never had done before and I desperately wanted to do.

That place was amazing, I'm writing a paper on it for my college english class right now, and I loved it dearly, and cried the day I found out what they were doing to it. I get very angry at the people who built all that ugly stuff there and ruined what could have been continuing childhood memories. I had hoped to take my kids there one day, and while I still love Branson Sammy Lane made that place, and so many of the old downtown shops that they tore down too. Now its just so ugly to look down that way.

I also love the Water Chute, and we went back this past labor day for the first time since 1999. Thank god it's still there, but the owner told us that every year the city wants to shut it down because they want to build a road there instead. I'm hoping to make it down again this next year, and I hope it's still there.

“Life is short so Live it.”

Since: Feb 09

Branson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2009

OK, most of us locals can agree that the changes we see do not reflect the true values of our community. At least not those of the natives. The real problem is, how can we stop this rampant growth that is harmful to the ture beauty of the area? Especially when those who are elected benefit from the growth?
REC

Oklahoma City, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2010

I am 36 years old, now, and have been to Branson nearly every year of my life. My parents didn't have much, but fortunately, it didn't take much back then to have a wonderful, "family" vacation. I remember Branson with such fond memories; the quaint old resorts on Lake Taneycomo's front, Dick's 5 & 10, the flea markets, silver dollar city, mutton hollow, Shepherd of the Hills...where did it all go? The remaining establishments are not at all what they use to be. It feels like innocence lost. We had generations of extended family members all taking our vacations at the same time and staying in Allendale resort for years. Along the way, we made many friends, and some times they'd set their vacations at the same time. It was good, wholesome fun. The charm of Branson was the antiquated feel of it. That's all gone now. I'd give anything if we could turn back time and just have the Presleys and Baldknobbers on the strip again. I may not go back, it's just too sad. Heck, even the shops in Silver Dollar City are filled with crap made in China for you to buy!
thetruthhurts

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2010

the conmen and women of branson will do literally anything for a buck, from the city hall to the buisiness and show owners, all crooks! now another herschend is running for office., more corruption!!the ONLY thing they care about is there own dollar, sad but true branson is almost dead, and this season is worse than last! more shows will pull out this summer and more buisinesses will close..funeral anyone?
sammylanelover

Plano, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2010

Like many of you, I traveled with my family to Branson each and every summer. Beginning in the summer of 1972, we made our first trip to Sammy Lane Resort. We stayed that year with one other family. Within the next decade, we had over 80 people from our little area of Illinois staying at Sammy Lane. For over 30 my parents traveled and stayed there. My wife and I got to take our kids there, but only for a short time. We have not and will not go back. Many great times were spent in that town and at that resort. It is a real shame what has happened.
Branson Fan 27

Lees Summit, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 2, 2010

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could view peoples personal photos of the downtown area before the landing was put in. I would also like to view the main strip from the 60's-90's.

Thanks.
Andersens Valley View Res

Reeds Spring, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Andersen's Valley View Resort on Table Rock Lake has 4 Sammy Lane cabins. We have had people pull in & be so excited and say "Those are Sammy Lane cabins, aren't they! "

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

I agree. Branson has changed for the worse. I grew up there. At one time there was a couple of bumper stickers I liked. One was "Ozarks courtesy is contagious." Tourist were amazed that we allowed people to pull in front of us in traffic. They would start doing it too. Last time I was there, it was every man for himself. The other sticker was something like, "I'm a hillbilly and proud of it". Many things in Branson were based upon the hillbilly theme. In our minds, hillbillies were simply poor country folk that loved God, life, family, music and an occassional drink.
Years ago, I was a guest at a couple of Chamber of Commerce meetings, and at one particular meeting they were talking the direction that Branson needed to go. Some members wanted to turn back to the hillbilly theme and keep that strong. Another member exploded and said we aren't to do that! I'm not going to be known as some hillbilly. She had moved to Branson from California, and obviously felt she knew more about what Branson needed than we did. I learned that most of them on the Chambers committees were fairly new to Branson at that time. Branson was built on the hillbilly theme, and it worked. I always took the term "Hillbilly" as a compliment. She didn't feel the same.
Branson was a successful place long before any big named music artist, or 60 minutes knew about us. Such a shame that Branson has become like so many other places now. Many shows are low quality, empty hotels and theaters everywhere, drug problems and so many deteriorating big signs and yard signs everywhere. I was shocked at how trashy things looked.
However, I do enjoy the Landing, but I also remember what was destroyed to build it. Perhaps Branson needs a new mayor and city council. I hear they've been in there for a while now. Vote in a Hillbilly!!!!! That's what Branson needs.
Anonymous

Branson, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

I have been lived in the Branson area for 20 years and can say its falling into the ground. My best memory was playing at Mang field right where Belk is located. The town is completely fake from front to back. Everything is just a fabrication of an image they want you to see and believe. The court system which sets in Forythe is a complete joke, Tony Williams( Judge) thinks hes God of the area, and just hope you dont have to see him for any reason. They bust locals for any reason to keep the flow going but keep crime a secret to not scare the outside tourists that keep coming back. Downtown Branson is flowing with drug addicts from what they call Church Army, the whole neighborhood is falling apart. Many houses there are up for sale but very few do locals still stay. I think Branson is needing a cleanout on the city officials. Everything here is corrupt just as our own Government is today. I honestly would not recommend living in this area. There is a terrible dry spell from January to beginning of March. There just isnt a whole lot for the younger crowd to do around here, and everything is spread out so if you dont have a car, then this would NOT be a good place to start fresh.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 36 of36
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Forsyth Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Forsyth People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance