Roofers rip shingles from wrong house

May 23, 2008 | Posted by: pragmatist | Full story: www.dallasnews.com

A Lewisville woman is struggling to get a roof back over her head after a roofing crew ripped the shingles off the wrong house hers. A crew from Dallas-based Bold Roofing was supposed to re-roof house No. 1248 on Margaret Malin's street. Instead, they went No. 1208 Malin's house and removed the shingles before realizing their error.

Bold Roofing owner Robert Bold admitted the mistake and said his company has made a similar error only once before, 18 years ago. He said he made it right then and is trying to do so now by offering Ms. Malin discounts and upgrades. But he has thus far refused to offer a free replacement.
Comments
41 - 59 of 59 Comments Last updated Tuesday Aug 19
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: May 08

Little Rock, Ar

#41 Jun 15, 2008
Bold Roofing owner Robert Bold admitted the mistake and said his company has made a similar error only once before, 18 years ago. He said he made it right then and is trying to do so now by offering Ms. Malin discounts and upgrades. But he has thus far refused to offer a free replacement.

Sherry,
this is taken directly from the article. Read the last sentence. If you make a mistake like this, alot of us don't feel a "comparable" free replacement is out of the question. Maybe I don't know the whole story here, just going by what is written. If the lady did take money from her insurance, she should have to return it, or face insurance fraud. The company that tore the roof off should be responsible for either replacing it, or paying to replacement. Doesn't make them a bad company because they made a mistake. It makes them a bad company not to make their mistake right. And making the homeowners insurance pay for it isn't right.
Andy

Richardson, TX

#42 Jun 19, 2008
one word: lawsuit

invasion of privacy, trespassing, willful neglgence, etc. and I would bet that this would actually qualify asa criminal offense (even though it was an accident).
Patrick

Poulsbo, WA

#43 Jun 29, 2008
Stacy and Sam wrote:
by the way, we don't know anyone from bold however we know the home owners. They provided us the details. Not sure why she would chance have the insurance company request all the funds back. If this happens, she'll be out the cost to replace the roof.
Here's what doesn't add up. If the roofing company pays for the new roof, she wouldn't be "out the cost" to replace the roof...it's being replaced.

Now if she took the money, and decided to go on vacation with it, well thats her own dumb fault, but regardless she will have a new roof if it's being replaced at no cost.
Troy F

Lewisville, TX

#44 Jun 29, 2008
First off, there was no willful intent to commit any crime, it was a simple mistake. Secondly, if Bold made her an offer to upgrade her roof, discount the costs, and to pay her deductible, then it was being very fair in deed. Bold could have only offered to replace her roof at what its current value was (i.e. 20yr for 20yr etc.). Then she could have been required by her insurance company to return her claim check. Bold's offer gave her the opportunity to utilize the insurance claim in conjunction with their mistake to a much better roof at no cost to her (including her deductible which she would have been responsible for otherwise). Simply put, if she wants a completely free replacement of her roof by Bold, then her claim check should be returned since there would in effect be no damage by the storms. Instead the claim check would be made out to Bold by their insurance company to cover their mistake. By a strange twist of fate, she actually could have greatly benefited by Bold's mistake and their offer.
Pamela Goode

Galveston, TX

#45 Aug 4, 2008
The same thing happened to me. Brinkmann Roofing in Houston/Galveston, Texas tore off my roof. The address was 1331 Coral Way but I live at 1331 Outrigger. The five workers were illegal aliens with no drivers license or insurance. None of them spoke English and they were not supervised by anyone who spoke English. The company patched our roof by putting back some of our shingles and some new ones but does not want to replace it completely. The shingles do not match and it looks awful. I called the police and they gave them a ticket for no insurance and drivers license and towed their truck away. The manager came out and talked a good talk, acting very nice but I am not satisfied. All the workers should have been deported.
Howard G

Dallas, TX

#46 Aug 21, 2008
One indiscretion and obstinacy does not a villian make - so heres another. I unfortunately signed with BOLD roofing - and with the problems Im having dealing with them, I can see why - its obvious that Mr. Bold IS in it for the money at his customers expense. Steer clear from these contractors....... and 2 mistakes in 32yrs? Go look at the BBB site and wonder how many like me havent complained to the BBB either.
Rep

Richardson, TX

#47 Aug 21, 2008
Troy F wrote:
First off, there was no willful intent to commit any crime, it was a simple mistake. Secondly, if Bold made her an offer to upgrade her roof, discount the costs, and to pay her deductible, then it was being very fair in deed. Bold could have only offered to replace her roof at what its current value was (i.e. 20yr for 20yr etc.). Then she could have been required by her insurance company to return her claim check. Bold's offer gave her the opportunity to utilize the insurance claim in conjunction with their mistake to a much better roof at no cost to her (including her deductible which she would have been responsible for otherwise). Simply put, if she wants a completely free replacement of her roof by Bold, then her claim check should be returned since there would in effect be no damage by the storms. Instead the claim check would be made out to Bold by their insurance company to cover their mistake. By a strange twist of fate, she actually could have greatly benefited by Bold's mistake and their offer.
If this still hasn't been settled, let the courts decide.

Since: Sep 08

Dallas, TX

#48 Sep 4, 2008
Are you kidding me? This company is still in business? This company made a terrible error. It doesn't matter that the last time this happened was 18 years ago. This company removed a roof that wasn't meant to be removed. It is there job to make the owner of the home "whole again." PERIOD!

I cannot believe that there idea of a solution was to offer the homeowner discounts on upgrades. That is a joke! Thank you for posting this, I will be sure to tell my neighbors about this company's practices to ensure that they do not give them any business.

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#49 Sep 7, 2008
I run a landscape business. Part of it is two crews that do maintenance. 2 or 3 times they've mowed the wrong yards, usually next door due to a side curb number that splits the residences.

Do I leave a bill? HELL NO! I leave my card with an apology, and a note that I'll fix any damages, along with an apology.

I understand the owner feels terrible that his crew of English impaired hourlies weren't paying attention, but this is one roof. It needs to be payed for by the contractor.
Dallas Roofing Contractor

Dallas, TX

#50 Apr 29, 2009
Its unethical business practices to say the least

This subject touches so many levels its not funny and regretfully they only allow a 4000 word speech!

BOLD is wrong..POINT BLANK end of story

REPLACE THE LADYS ROOF! Take the loss before it gets worse.. Your name is already all over the internet for this mistake and your only making yourself out to be a storm chaser??..32 years of success? 2 mistakes...impressive..dont blow it now and hope you dont get sued!

Stop using illegals ?
If the local roofing contractors stopped doing that, the costs would be overwhelming and collapse the entire insurance scam scenario that plagues DALLAS!

PS: Sherry, you dont know what the crap you are talking about.

The lady can keep the money. Its not insurance fraud in the least. Even if she lets BOLD fix the error with a new free roof. She is entitled to the depreciation. Its not fraud in the least...

FRAUD is when the contractor says he will pay her deductible clearly like BOLD has suggested.

The insurance company will only pay what the invoice amount is or what they determine the roof value to be ie: current market rates

She will get current market rates
Bold will get sued for the aggravation and replacement costs for what a qualified contractor would replace the roof for

Qualified Contractor: One who pulls the Permit and is licensed with in each city they work!

WHERES THE PERMIT ??
homeless

United States

#51 Apr 29, 2009
pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>
Mistakes happen. Its what we do about them afterward that show our true character.
If my company (a networking company) showed up at the wrong data center and removed the cables, servers, routers and telco connections, do you really think I could get by with offering to pay the insurance deductible (and have their insurance company pay the rest)? No way! MY insurance company may be called on to pay the damages due to my error, but certainly not the homeowner's insurance company.
The question is, who is at fault? The homeowner or the roofing company? Unless the homeowner had the wrong address on the front of her house, the answer is obvious.
You got it! Why did no one on site, before the job began, VERIFY details like address, call customer...
john w

United States

#52 Jul 29, 2010
Wow! The news never the entire story. Bold roofing had a contract on this home, with this lady. They roof was pulled off a week early from planned replacement date.
Marry Bingaman

Euless, TX

#53 Oct 22, 2010
I live around the corner from this house. The Sales man was awesome and very informative. They replaced the major of all the homes in Lewisville. I met with 4 other roofing companies. I chose Bold Roofing as did most. The home owner is known to be a little crazy at times. I'm actually disipointed in the news and how this was reported.
pragmatist wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree! What's to stop an unscrupulous roofer (or landscaper or painter...) from removing a homeowner's current roof (trees/plants, paint...) and then demanding money to fix it?
Mr. Bold needs to step up to the plate and restore this homeowner's roof or the homeowner should take his butt to court.
I pay for my mistakes. Oh! And I have to carry errors and omissions insurance on my business, too.
Come on, Mr. Bold. Make this right!
Marry Bingaman

Euless, TX

#54 Oct 22, 2010
The home owner did sing a contact with Bold Roofing. Bold Roofing also met with her insurance adjusted and got the roof awarded. There was a Bold Roofing sign in her front yard. I live 3 doors down. I know what happened. She was laughing thinking that she would get to keep the $9,000 insurance check + receive an $11,000 roof for free.

The only legal action was her attempt at insurance fraud. Bold Tried to offer ever possible upgrade and free service allowed within the legal guidelines. Bold simply came out 3 weeks early. It was a mistake, but not like it sounds. They just didn't randomly pull up to a house and remove shingles.

“Pet me or I'll bite you”

Since: Jul 07

Richardson, Texas

#55 Oct 24, 2010
Marry Bingaman wrote:
The home owner did sing a contact with Bold Roofing. Bold Roofing also met with her insurance adjusted and got the roof awarded. There was a Bold Roofing sign in her front yard. I live 3 doors down. I know what happened. She was laughing thinking that she would get to keep the $9,000 insurance check + receive an $11,000 roof for free.
The only legal action was her attempt at insurance fraud. Bold Tried to offer ever possible upgrade and free service allowed within the legal guidelines. Bold simply came out 3 weeks early. It was a mistake, but not like it sounds. They just didn't randomly pull up to a house and remove shingles.
Thanks for that update. Changes the whole story, doesn't it?

I wonder if there's a news story anywhere that ran a correction, or at least an update, that this goofy homeowner tried to take advantage of the company.
Kirk Johnson

North Richland Hills, TX

#56 Jun 22, 2012
Funny how all these "homeowners" have intimate knowledge of the victims insurance money and bold roofing. So I guess your "husband" was that Bold Roofer... Very suspect ladies... No "satisfied" customer is going to get on here and defend a roofer to that extent. Nice try bold roofing!
Wow

Euless, TX

#57 Jun 22, 2012
Free roof for someone.
Irony

Roswell, GA

#58 Jun 16, 2014
You state:

"Mr. Bold has more than stepped up to the plate. He offered to cover the full deductable, and upgrade to a much better class of shingle for the homeowners' roof."

Then you state:

"That's insurance fraud!! The reason we're all paying higher premiums today!!"

Now that's some real irony! It is illegal to rebate deductibles.
Lone Star Man

Pico Rivera, CA

#59 Tuesday Aug 19
Bold Roofing is one of those companies that creates a Spanish-speaking work culture (and, yes, let's face it: a job-stealing culture that absolutely DOES include illegal/questionably legal workers).

It is destroying this country.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Flower Mound Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 3 hr fubar 22,288
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 3 hr fubar 17,877
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) 9 hr Wow Wee 524
TX Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in T... (Oct '10) 9 hr That Fart Guy 722
sleazy car towing from apartment complex (Nov '08) 14 hr Igoturcar 75
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) Thu Gasman 663
Review: Fences-S'glor (Apr '13) Aug 27 Victom of Luis Lu... 5
•••

Flower Mound News Video

•••
•••

Flower Mound Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••