City officials wonder if $1M in delinquent water and sewer bills wi...

Councilor-at-large Thomas Conry said he was "astounded" to learn this week that there is $1 million owed in past-due water and sewer bills to the city of Fitchburg by property owners. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Why

Franklin, MA

#1 Sep 1, 2010
Why was Denis Meunier, who was fired by the mayor as DPW Comissioner, then given the job as head of the
Water Department. He had zero experience, knows nothing and has no water licenses? Can someone tell me?
really

Bronx, NY

#3 Sep 1, 2010
Tom I'm shocked you learn anything about the city
Fredric K Fortin

United States

#4 Sep 1, 2010
Just publish the names of the
deadbeats for a start. The community needs to know who is
responsible for extra cost in the system!
what a surprise

Fitchburg, MA

#5 Sep 1, 2010
maybe you should start shutting peoples water off. or collecting the tenants rents from rental units. THE SLUM-LORDS ARE NOT GOING TO PAY. and the city rather cut the police department than turn water off. is everyone stupid that works for fitchburg. SHUT THE PEOPLES WATER OFF, why should people pay if they still have water. SHUT THE WATER OFF AND COLLECT RENTS, the town acts like it is a big surprise. and it doesnt help that the empolyees of the water dept are not the brightest bulbs on the tree
Water Rates

New York, NY

#6 Sep 1, 2010
Perhaps another contributing factor here is the fact that our (Fitchburg's) water and sewer rates are outrageously high.
Somehow earlier this year Leominster managed to roll their water rates back. They have one reservoir (Notown). Fitchburg has an abundance of water in several reservoirs yet we pay a premium for our water?
Anyone notice where your water bills are sent - Milford? Why can't Fitchburg employ some locals looking for work in one of the many abandoned spaces on main street to process the payments and add some value back to the city?
get it right

Braintree, MA

#7 Sep 1, 2010
Water Rates wrote:
Perhaps another contributing factor here is the fact that our (Fitchburg's) water and sewer rates are outrageously high.
Somehow earlier this year Leominster managed to roll their water rates back. They have one reservoir (Notown). Fitchburg has an abundance of water in several reservoirs yet we pay a premium for our water?
Anyone notice where your water bills are sent - Milford? Why can't Fitchburg employ some locals looking for work in one of the many abandoned spaces on main street to process the payments and add some value back to the city?
Leominster has more than 1 reservoir
TURN EM OFF

Leominster, MA

#8 Sep 1, 2010
TURN THEIR WATER OFF,TURN THEIR WATER OFF,TURN THEIR WATER OFF, HEY I HAVE AN IDEA, TURN THEIR WATER OFF JUST. IF IT WAS CABLE OR GRID THEY WOULD OF BEEN TURNED OFF.
jam

Leominster, MA

#9 Sep 1, 2010
This is why we won't vote in an over ride or allow a trash fee. The city lets dead beats get away with delinquent tax bills, water bills etc, and them screws all of the responsible homeowners by raising our taxes and water/sewer rates.
Maybe we should all refuse to pay our water bills.
Do you think these deadbeats are going to pay a trash fee? Come on people do the math. You can get away with just about anything in this city if you are a deadbeat.
I am beyond shocked or disgusted. I want OUT of this third world poor excuse for a municipality.
Rob S

Windham, NH

#11 Sep 1, 2010
I tried to pay my water & sewer bill on-line (as I have for the past two or three years), but found my bill was not listed.

I called the company in Milford that collects the monies owed Fitchburg, and was told that there were many homeowners bills that were not transcribes into the Milford company's website.
They told me that The Fitchburg Water Dept. was aware that many bills were not transcribed and that they would not be adding these omissions.

Well Fitchburg, maybe I won't be paying my friggin bill!
Mike fom Leominster

Fitchburg, MA

#13 Sep 1, 2010
jam wrote:
This is why we won't vote in an over ride or allow a trash fee. The city lets dead beats get away with delinquent tax bills, water bills etc, and them screws all of the responsible homeowners by raising our taxes and water/sewer rates.
Maybe we should all refuse to pay our water bills.
Do you think these deadbeats are going to pay a trash fee? Come on people do the math. You can get away with just about anything in this city if you are a deadbeat.
I am beyond shocked or disgusted. I want OUT of this third world poor excuse for a municipality.
Did you read the part that said Leominster had about the same amount in reeivables?

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#14 Sep 1, 2010
Mike fom Leominster wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you read the part that said Leominster had about the same amount in reeivables?
Actually, I read in the Boston Globe a while ago, Leominster has over $5 million in
unpaid taxes, fees and related things. Every community has this problem, as the saying goes "you can't get blood from a stone". At least the City of Worcester publishes the tax cheats in the paper a few times per year.
Shut it off

Fitchburg, MA

#15 Sep 1, 2010
Publish names (I'm sure we'll recognize alot of them). It takes too long to be a lien on the property. And shut the utility off! You don't see electricity or cable or phone stay on after bills are unpaid for over a year. Business 101 - no pay - no service.

Sorry for the innocent tenants... but they need to find a good residence. Sorry to say but the slumlords don't have many residents we want here anyway.

None of us like the rates yet we still pay our bills.

Collection agencies take at least 1/3 of what they collect - and will probably make a payment plan of $10 a month with the offenders.
dave

Fitchburg, MA

#16 Sep 1, 2010
Water Rates wrote:
If they put anyone else on the payroll they will have to pay benefits. Sick pay, holidays, retirement, health insurance, ect. and the list goes on.
Shut the dam water off. It is to simple. Condem the dumps when the filth can't flush the toilets. Simple sollution.
what a surprise

Fitchburg, MA

#17 Sep 1, 2010
Water Rates wrote:
IF YOU DONT LIKE THE HIGH RATES move the f*** out of town. TURN THE WATER OFF.TURN THE WATER OFF.TURN THE WATER OFF.TURN THE WATER OFF.TURN THE WATER OFF.TURN THE WATER OFF.

STUPID WATER DEPT SECRETARY, get the notices printed and TURN THE WATER OFF....the water dept's water should be turned off for being so slow and stupid to react to the OUTRAGEOUS amount of money in outstanding bills......GET A GRIP & TURN THE WATER OFF.
what a surprise

Fitchburg, MA

#18 Sep 1, 2010
or maybe we should take the much needed police force off the streets so LOSERS can keep their water. TURN THE WATER OFF........FITCHBURG IS the biggest ARMPIT of Massachusetts
Excallaber

Sutton, MA

#19 Sep 1, 2010
now thats an expensive glass of water
Unbelievable

Fitchburg, MA

#20 Sep 2, 2010
Did any of you people stating to just turn the water off read the article? It's a LEGAL process that takes time, unfortunately. Your cable, telephone, electricity providers are NOT MUNICIPAL departments, they don't have the same guidlines and LAWS for this process. The city government is following the laws and regulations for collecting the debts, and all you idiots can say is "JUST TURN IT OFF, IT'S THAT EASY" Sure it is, in a simple mind.

I say publish the names of these deadbeats.

Since: Apr 09

Leominster, MA

#21 Sep 2, 2010
Interesting, if one doesn't pay their electric bill or phone bill or natural gas bill, the service is shut off in a month or two.

But the water keeps flowing for people who don't pay the water bills. Looks like two sets or rules here...
leave

South Lancaster, MA

#22 Sep 2, 2010
and what the shut off notices go out and the water is never shut off; the problem is the water is never shut off you fools and thus the money is never collected.....your kidding me right! and the problem is again????
leave

South Lancaster, MA

#23 Sep 2, 2010
well then if that is the case of rules and regs. then heck why don't we all just not pay our water bills and we'll see how fast that gets changed! no pay, no shut off.......gosh what a deal of the century

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Fitchburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 finalist for Chief of Fitchburg ,Ma. 53 min Jtn 32
Current Fitchburg 55 min Jtn 6
Lynch request for court case to be brought forw... (Jul '13) 8 hr Lynch for Mayor 64
Family mourns loss of young mother devoted to b... (Jul '09) 19 hr Kevin Lynch 41
Fitchburg's arts at center of roundtable 21 hr Tammy 2
Fattman cries foul over defaced signs Sun Kevin Lynch 6
Habitat to hold application meetings Sat Be careful 1

Fitchburg News Video

Fitchburg Dating
Find my Match

Fitchburg Jobs

Fitchburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Fitchburg News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Fitchburg

Personal Finance