Undersheriff McCloskey appointed to replace resigning Melton

Full story: Farmington Daily Times

The County Commission at a special meeting Tuesday voted unanimously to appoint Undersheriff Mark McCloskey to replace Sheriff Bob Melton when he resigns later this month.
Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Dec 21, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bloomfield Born

Albuquerque, NM

#1 Dec 16, 2009
Why would McCloskey take a $30,000 cut in pay?
Irate

Kayenta, AZ

#2 Dec 16, 2009
"One of the things I know was the concern was once (McCloskey) is appointed, he can do a switch and run for sheriff," Commissioner Ervin Chavez said. "If that was the case ... I would have looked at that a little different." Ervin Chavez needs to take a course in structuring a complete and relevent English sentence or go back to school. He has a "broken English" just like his buddies in the Navajo Nation Council.
Farmington Refugee

Denver, CO

#3 Dec 16, 2009
Do we need to remind McCloskey that he still has to comply with Federal laws? I seem to recall him specifically stating in an article that he didn't think a certain law intended to curb corruption applied to him.

I wish all the sheriff deputies luck with that little tyrant as Sheriff for the next year.
Rez Injun

Chinle, AZ

#4 Dec 16, 2009
Irate wrote:
"One of the things I know was the concern was once (McCloskey) is appointed, he can do a switch and run for sheriff," ... He has a "broken English" just like his buddies in the Navajo Nation Council.
This is so petty. Ervin speaks good english and navajo. Are you fluent in 2 languages? Stick to the issue and worry about McCloskey.
citizen

Durango, CO

#5 Dec 16, 2009
Contrary to the post from "Farmington Refugee" McCloskey does acknowledge that the Federal statute does apply to him and he has responded accordingly by not placing his name in contention for the 2010 elections. However, it would appear that Sheriff Melton and the County Commissioners have sufficient confidnece in him that they would elevate McClosky to the Sheriff's position over other announced candidates, who are also currenly members of the Sheriff's Department. The deputies and residents of San Juan County may could well be better served under his tenure as interim Sheriff than under a less qualified candidate who comes through the election process in 2010.
SJC Resident

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Dec 16, 2009
Love him or hate him, the bottom line is for any sort of continuity of service to the citizens of San Juan County, the ONLY logical choice is to put McCloskey in as the Sheriff. People thing Chaos and havoc are happening now? Try putting in a new temporary sheriff who hasn't been part of the existing administration and watch them do their best to stir things up in the year they get. That's when you are going to see a lot of Sheriff's Office employees seeking a new line of work.
Roger H

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Dec 16, 2009
I can't think of a better man to serve San Juan County in this
position, he'll do a great job! It's very unfortunate Mark can't
seek the office of Sheriff,we need men of his caliber in that job.
Intelligence

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Dec 16, 2009
I give the County Commission an A Plus on this call
Mary K

Rio Rancho, NM

#9 Dec 16, 2009
Agreed....Mark was the correct choice. That should be how it works....Thats why he was the UnderSheriff isnt it? "Under the Sheriff"
Im sure he will step in and keep the dept were it needs to be for a year. Til the new Sheriff is elected. That will be exciting for the dept...A new Sheriff in town!! Good luck Sheriff McCloskey.
U BETCHA

Albuquerque, NM

#10 Dec 16, 2009
Farmington Refugee wrote:
Do we need to remind McCloskey that he still has to comply with Federal laws? I seem to recall him specifically stating in an article that he didn't think a certain law intended to curb corruption applied to him.
I wish all the sheriff deputies luck with that little tyrant as Sheriff for the next year.
Agreed Farmington Refugee, we don't need a supervisor at the top for very long who can walk through the six foot wide hallways of FPD year after year and never utter a word of greeting or acknowledgement to his employees. McCloskey reigned supreme at FPD and acted like the little Nazi he is over his employees there. Now he's got the power at the SO. Good luck deputies, if your name isn't one of the ones Melton promoted while he was in charge, better watch your back.
Cat n Mouse

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Dec 16, 2009
Bloomfield Born wrote:
Why would McCloskey take a $30,000 cut in pay?
So he will be in a position as acting Sheriff to set up and finance a run by whatever candidate he can control as undersheriff next term. As acting sheriff he knows if he supports a certain candidate and it's agreed upon that candidate will make McCloskey undersheriff, then McCloskey will still have a job for the next four years which will pay him mega bucks to supplement his FPD retirement which probably already pays him around a hundred grand a year. If he's undersheriff again along with his FPD retirement he'll be raking in a couple hundred grand a year for the next four or 8 years. That's why he's willing to take a pay cut until next November. Dirty politics at it's best being played by the little master and whoever he's going to support for sheriff.
Kaiser Tsosie

Farmington, NM

#12 Dec 16, 2009
Well of course McClownsky was named Sheriff! He probably designed this whole thing AFTER he found out he had to abide by the law and could not LEGALLY get elected! Cat n Mouse has nailed this whole thing on the head: he will groom whoever will make him undersheriff again and crucify the poor bastards who stand in his way! The first thing the Nazi did when he got elected Chief was to call shift meetings and tell everyone, "It's now my department. If you don't like what I do, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out!" Don't believe me? You say, "Mark would never do that!" Think again good people. Ask any of the older FPD guys and gals if that's true. Why do you all think FPD had a union and then when he left, the union left??? The union was put into place because McClownsky was running amok and slamming people who didn't deserve it and smoothing over crap on people who deserved to get hammered! Again, ask around. I won't spread a lie or rumor, I will only speak the truth. And, if you have the guts to call me a liar and think the little man is above all of this, you better be able to back up your claims! Mine are all documented and available any ole time you want!

Let's get this party started!!!
Turdis Brown

Hardin, TX

#13 Dec 16, 2009
Kaiser Tsosie wrote:
Well of course McClownsky was named Sheriff! He probably designed this whole thing AFTER he found out he had to abide by the law and could not LEGALLY get elected! Cat n Mouse has nailed this whole thing on the head: he will groom whoever will make him undersheriff again and crucify the poor bastards who stand in his way! The first thing the Nazi did when he got elected Chief was to call shift meetings and tell everyone, "It's now my department. If you don't like what I do, don't let the door hit you in the **** on the way out!" Don't believe me? You say, "Mark would never do that!" Think again good people. Ask any of the older FPD guys and gals if that's true. Why do you all think FPD had a union and then when he left, the union left??? The union was put into place because McClownsky was running amok and slamming people who didn't deserve it and smoothing over crap on people who deserved to get hammered! Again, ask around. I won't spread a lie or rumor, I will only speak the truth. And, if you have the guts to call me a liar and think the little man is above all of this, you better be able to back up your claims! Mine are all documented and available any ole time you want!
Let's get this party started!!!
100 % correct. Who can forget the if you have a morale problem its your problem leave. Along with the sell the horse directive, the Burch coverup, the Hardy coverup. the illegal investigations conducted by McPheeters along with the other assorted illegal acts committed by him. The promise of promotion to individuals who had voiced a strong anti-union stance, and who could forget about the detective who falsified several reports just to clear his cases. Guess what with strong anti-union views removed from the Sgts list and sent back to patrol and low and behold the ammo thief is promoted. The list goes on and on.
My Two Cents Worth

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Dec 17, 2009
Cat n Mouse wrote:
<quoted text>So he will be in a position as acting Sheriff to set up and finance a run by whatever candidate he can control as undersheriff next term. As acting sheriff he knows if he supports a certain candidate and it's agreed upon that candidate will make McCloskey undersheriff, then McCloskey will still have a job for the next four years which will pay him mega bucks to supplement his FPD retirement which probably already pays him around a hundred grand a year. If he's undersheriff again along with his FPD retirement he'll be raking in a couple hundred grand a year for the next four or 8 years. That's why he's willing to take a pay cut until next November. Dirty politics at it's best being played by the little master and whoever he's going to support for sheriff.
All I Scan say is good for Mark if he's making some good money. What do you suggest he do? Should he say, "Look, I'm make a good deal from my retirement that I earned, so you don't have to worry about paying me now." How the heck is that dirty politics? I have also worked for Mark in the past and though he wasn't the most personable boss I ever had, I did not witness nor experience the tyranny suggested by others like King Tsosie. And by the way, it's the bosses prerogative to say, "it's my way or the highway", that's because he's the boss and you were not. Life is just tough for some people.

And for those that mentioned the police union at FPD, my opinion is Good Riddance! In the past 10 years it has not been supported but by a handful of officers, and all it did, before dying a natural death, was the keep us from getting a promised pay raise for quite a few months.

Mark McCloskey will do just fine as interim Sheriff.
Sam

Santa Fe, NM

#15 Dec 17, 2009
Roger H wrote:
I can't think of a better man to serve San Juan County in this
position, he'll do a great job! It's very unfortunate Mark can't
seek the office of Sheriff,we need men of his caliber in that job.
Thank goodness he can't run for sheriff. San Juan would benefit from someone new in that agency. Mark needs to hang it up. When is enough enough? Let someone else have the opportunity. Last but not least, get rid of the Haws and all will be well in San Juan County!
Thomas Williams III

Santa Fe, NM

#16 Dec 17, 2009
Roger H wrote:
I can't think of a better man to serve San Juan County in this
position, he'll do a great job! It's very unfortunate Mark can't
seek the office of Sheriff,we need men of his caliber in that job.
I agree with Scott Eckstein, there should have been more time to seek "more" qualified persons for the job. It appears as though they just went through the motions and already had their minds made up in putting Mark in that position. I can think of a lot more better men than him for that position. San Juan will benefit tremendously when he leaves. Hope he takes Lisa and Neil with him!
whammer jammer

Los Alamos, NM

#17 Dec 17, 2009
As do I, Thomas Williams III.
Ooh-rah Mr. Eckstein, Ooh-rah.
Every "state of affairs" opinion expressed or associated with Mr. Eckstein appears to be in the best interest of the citizens of San Juan County. Thank you Mr. Eckstein. And yes, the public does realize the commissioners had their minds made up before they entered into the 15 second "nomination" or voting process. Some sort of "rolling quorum".....
Blue _______

Greer, SC

#18 Dec 17, 2009
No matter who replaces Sheriff Melton, not everyone will be happy. Being up on the hill above San Juan County, I have come to the conclusion that way too many (not all) of the county residents cry around and whine about anything they can. Why dont you try to support the man who has been chosen for the job? He has not been given a chance as Sheriff yet! I'll bet most of you who have a problem with McCloskey have been jammed up with law enforcement in the past, so, it really doesnt matter who gets the job.

Remember San Juan County-TWEEKERS SUCK!!
Get a Clue

Placitas, NM

#19 Dec 18, 2009
whammer jammer wrote:
As do I, Thomas Williams III.
Ooh-rah Mr. Eckstein, Ooh-rah.
Every "state of affairs" opinion expressed or associated with Mr. Eckstein appears to be in the best interest of the citizens of San Juan County. Thank you Mr. Eckstein. And yes, the public does realize the commissioners had their minds made up before they entered into the 15 second "nomination" or voting process. Some sort of "rolling quorum".....
Maybe you should look into why this happened this way. Was this a set up? Was it planned? What did the County Commissioners get for their votes?
Do your research and find out, there is a whole lot you are all missing in this one. Daily Times why dont you look into this more? Oh ya you would never want to do a story on your Church member now would you.
Intrigued I Am

Denver, CO

#20 Dec 18, 2009
Get a Clue wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should look into why this happened this way. Was this a set up? Was it planned? What did the County Commissioners get for their votes?
Do your research and find out, there is a whole lot you are all missing in this one. Daily Times why dont you look into this more? Oh ya you would never want to do a story on your Church member now would you.
Interesting... Tell us more. The Daily Times certainly won't.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Farmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Protesters raise awareness about deportation, t... 22 hr lolol 3
FBI identifies human remains found on Navajo Na... Fri Dirk Diggler 3
Barack Obama COUNTDOWN Clock 1000 days left & c... Thu Richies Cool Man ... 186
Governor candidate Gary King discusses educatio... Aug 25 forgot one 2
Debate: Ferguson - Farmington, NM Aug 22 Sleestack 4
Rob Mayes Aug 21 Cain 2
New upscale gym in Farmington prepares to open ... Aug 21 lolol 9
•••
•••

Farmington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Farmington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Farmington News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Farmington
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••