Head Start changes raise issues

Apr 30, 2010 Full story: Seacoast Online 26

The board of directors for Rockingham Community Action, a social service agency serving families on the Seacoast of New Hampshire, voted last week to close three Head Start program locations in an effort to consolidate operations.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sad

Exeter, NH

#1 Apr 30, 2010
People may not feel that these closures will effect them if they are not in there town but they will regardless. Seabrook , Portsmouth and Derry will have to fill slots for these other unfortunate towns who have closed and therefore room for their own residents will be used. It is sad that people feel that Headstart isnt a top priority for funding. It is one of the most important porgrams in the state and benefits our 3 and 4 year olds immensely. Having had the pleasure to witness some of the Headstart staff in Portsmouth work with my son for a short time I was very impressed and sad that I could not keep him enrolled there this year. I live in Seabrook but there was no room for him in the Seabrook program even though he has a disability. Traveling to Portsmouth became burdensome and e3xpensive each day and I had to withdraw him from the program. He was devastated and loss a great deal of valuable learning time. I really wish this situation could be corrected .
parents

Exeter, NH

#2 Apr 30, 2010
what happened to parents teaching thier children to read and write? we all want the state to raise our children. time to not be lazy and step up to parenthood
why

Atkinson, NH

#3 May 5, 2010
Have you ever been to a Headstart Program? By the way your post reads I am guessing not. Headstart is for the kids to go learn, play with other kids, and get aquainted with what school is all about. If I read your post right you don't think there should be schools at all. You think that parents should stay home and teach their kids everything there is to know. Well how did you grow up? I bet you went to school and learned things there that your parents couldn't teach you, like geometry and a foreign language. Why don't you think about what you're saying before you say it. Headstart may be for low income families but it is for the kids to learn, not for the parents to dump their kids off. It offers a dental van at the beginning of the school year for the kids to get their teeth cleaned because some people can't afford dental insurance if their job doesn't offer it. It offers alot of information on other programs that are out there. Headstart is a program for the kids, and it's sad that there are people out there that think otherwise.
I agree with the top post that this will affect every town. The Epping Center has a waiting list for kids to go to that program, and there are centers out there that can't even fill all their slots. Why are they closing the centers that are filling the slots and keeping them filled. The Derry Center doesn't even have a building as of yet, they're working on a home based schedule right now. And why are they having application days if they knew in advance that these centers would not be open? You have to wonder what is going on? Why are we just now finding out about this when they've known all along? They have known this was coming since the beginning of the school year and said nothing, let the kids and teachers go on thinking they were still going to be doing the same thing next year. I am disgusted by the way this has turned out, and outraged that this is how everyone has found out. There hasn't been any letters sent home to parents of next years students, and nothing has been said either.
Amanda K

Exeter, NH

#4 May 9, 2010
To the person who is completely ignorant:

Headstart is the same thing as a preschool except most people cannot afford to pay 200 dollars a week to send their children to it. It is a way for parents to receive help with raising their children by determining their needs and learning styles early.

My daughter attends a head start program and I personally feel that I am a good mom for doing so. She enjoys the time with other children and is learning quite quickly. You are obviously an uneducated unintelligent individual to think that children do not benefit from outside influence. This has nothing to do with being lazy. I currently am a full time nursing student, mother of two and work part time as well. Please explain to me how that is lazy.

Not only that you are degrading people without knowing their situation. I actually feel sorry for you because you are so judgmental and bitter that the only person you are hurting is yourself.
parents

Exeter, NH

#5 May 9, 2010
if you look at the numbers home schoolers do better then those who go to public school. public school teachers say the reason they have low test scores is parents are not doing any thing whith their kids anymore. this is sad we are selling our children short. mom and dads step up and teach your kids or at least help
Amanda K

Portsmouth, NH

#6 May 9, 2010
Who said we don't teach our kids? Not everyone has the luxury of staying home all day with our kids. Does not mean we love them any less. We just have to work to provide for them. Sending them to school does not make us any less of parents than someone that homeschools. Personally I was homeschooled and attended school and felt incredibly isolated while not in school and performed academically just as well if not better while surrounded by peers.
Angel N

United States

#7 May 9, 2010
Dear incredibly ignorant. I am a single mother of two who works full time and go to school full time. My oldest daughter goes to newmarket headstart. I am far from lazy. I do teach my children at home, but I have to work to support them the best I can. I do not expect the state to raise my kids I just can not afford 360$ a week to put them in daycare or to stay home all day. I am stepping up as a parent. You sound snotty and you should keep your ignorant comments to yourself. You must have never been in a hard situation and needed some help.
parents

Exeter, NH

#8 May 9, 2010
where are the husbands or the father to the kids today are they helping? what is going on in america dads run off leave the kids alone with mom very sad. children best teacher is mom or dad but today we give them away so we to the state schools so we can have the american dream. the american dream is costing us our kids. oh i have never said anything about any one on this sight just speaking my mind and that is my right you have the right not to read what i post thank you
Amanda K

Exeter, NH

#9 May 11, 2010
Whether or not there is involvement or help from the father's does not matter. What does that have to do with our children going to school? I don't belive just because I am a mother I do not deserve to have an education as well. My husband is very involved with his kids but this is a two income world we live in and need to survive. Not everyone has the finances to sit at home all day long.
And by the way you were in fact talking specifically about us because we are the parents that kids attend Head Start. We are real people with real issues and do not take decisions about our kids lightly.
professor

Exeter, NH

#10 May 11, 2010
Amanda K wrote:
Whether or not there is involvement or help from the father's does not matter. What does that have to do with our children going to school? I don't belive just because I am a mother I do not deserve to have an education as well. My husband is very involved with his kids but this is a two income world we live in and need to survive. Not everyone has the finances to sit at home all day long.
And by the way you were in fact talking specifically about us because we are the parents that kids attend Head Start. We are real people with real issues and do not take decisions about our kids lightly.
Wow a father does not matter? You deserve an education? I don't think so(it is clear it isnt working)! You are not entitiled to an education but I AM entitled to my paycheck because I earn it! Part of that goes to pay for your grants for school and your kids to be in head start because you demand more from the social services than you do the donor. You claim to be in school and work blah blah blah....your kids deserve a parent home with them, Ms. Selfish who deserves it all. If you couldnt afford your kids, you dont deserve them. I don't doubt you are a real person with real issues is shows. Get your prioritys straight and pay for your own kids, I might take a day off soon.
Angel N

United States

#11 May 11, 2010
Sorry for the language but fuck both you ignorant fucks...I completely deserve my children..I work very hard to make their lives good...not my fault that the father beat me and I had to leave...part of my paycheck goes to these grants as well..just because I need a little help right at the moment doesn't make me a bad mom..you were obviously born with a silver spoon in your mouth..you are completely heartless...so sorry I'm a single mom and I can't be home with my kids....if I did I would need more aide you dumbass...and as far as the american dream goes I'm not living it just trying to make it so my children have every opportunity possible without needing aide..either one of you should walk a mile in my shoes....you have no right to judge me...and to the complete dick who says I don't deserve my kids FUCK YOU and you couldn't do what I do daily...and you should find a chat about abortions or people who just have kids and use all state aide to live!!!
Angelic

Exeter, NH

#12 May 11, 2010
What an ironic name with a such a crotch mouth. Do you kiss your kids with that nasty set of lips. With a mouth like that I can see why you got a cuff or two maybe three would have shut you up. You are right I couldnt walk in your shoes, I have pride, ethics, and morals. Get a life looser and one that doesnt cost me. LOL
help

Exeter, NH

#13 May 11, 2010
Angel N wrote:
Sorry for the language but fuck both you ignorant fucks...I completely deserve my children..I work very hard to make their lives good...not my fault that the father beat me and I had to leave...part of my paycheck goes to these grants as well..just because I need a little help right at the moment doesn't make me a bad mom..you were obviously born with a silver spoon in your mouth..you are completely heartless...so sorry I'm a single mom and I can't be home with my kids....if I did I would need more aide you dumbass...and as far as the american dream goes I'm not living it just trying to make it so my children have every opportunity possible without needing aide..either one of you should walk a mile in my shoes....you have no right to judge me...and to the complete dick who says I don't deserve my kids FUCK YOU and you couldn't do what I do daily...and you should find a chat about abortions or people who just have kids and use all state aide to live!!!
see here is the problem i do see you need the help now your having a tuff time and that is sad but dont come on here and get mad becouse we do not agree with the system your language and tone proves that your in need with a helping hand to teac you and your kids how to act and learn. im sure you come from a long line of people with the same needs. keep on trying to break out of the same old same old and then you will acheive respect. the F word is somthing we need to stop doing so we do not have any more kids we can not teach or pay for and Dads where the heck are you your children and bed partners are in need of help!
Angel N

United States

#14 May 13, 2010
Learn how to spell loser and we will talk. And for your cuff comment you don't know me and I'm sure you have such pride and ethics saying something like that. My taxes from my job go towards this program just as much as yours. And you don't even sound smart when you have to laugh at your own comment....and for the second person, I do pay for my children and I do teach them. I need no help, its just ignorant people disgust me. Acting like you pay for me. I'm not on food stamps or housing or anything like that. Go bitch at the people completely living off your taxes. And Its not my fault the father made his decisions. I am mom and dad and neither of you could do what I do.
what

Exeter, NH

#15 May 14, 2010
Angel N wrote:
Learn how to spell loser and we will talk. And for your cuff comment you don't know me and I'm sure you have such pride and ethics saying something like that. My taxes from my job go towards this program just as much as yours. And you don't even sound smart when you have to laugh at your own comment....and for the second person, I do pay for my children and I do teach them. I need no help, its just ignorant people disgust me. Acting like you pay for me. I'm not on food stamps or housing or anything like that. Go bitch at the people completely living off your taxes. And Its not my fault the father made his decisions. I am mom and dad and neither of you could do what I do.
what find a looser to have a child with thats whats wrong today everyone is making bad choices and the kids pay in the end. the kids call thier teachers mommy becouse they are raising them
Angel N

United States

#16 May 14, 2010
Oh really... My daughter goes to school for 4 hours and I'm the only one getting called mommy. You all are completely ignorant and you should learn to spell as well sweetie.
ccf1369

Exeter, NH

#17 May 14, 2010
The children who do not have their fathers involved in their life should not be punish for it and none of what anyone is talking about has much to do with the matter at hand! Head Start has been around for decades! At the present time there are 6 Head Start sites in Rockingham County, the three that they will chose tto leave open next year are in Derry which as mentioned does not even have a class room, not a well thought out plan! seabrook and portsmouth. If you look at a map of the county it leaves the who;e inland of this county without resources for educating lower income children.
Personally, my twin four year old boys are being droppped on their face by the federal government, they attended epping headstart this year, where are they to go next year? And if you want to reply with ignorance then maybe you would be willing to foot the atleast thousand dollar bill each week for them to attend private pre-school.
As far as home school, yeah they may score higher on academic testing but they cant put it to use when they are older because they are socially inept.
Point being the government is unethically stealing from a bunch little kids.
Amanda K

Exeter, NH

#18 May 14, 2010
To the "professor" from Newmarket. I think you read my comment wrong. I do believe invovlement from a father is necessary however we do not live in a perfect world and sometimes people end up in circumstances where it does not allow for the ideal situation.

You seem to think it is unreasonable that I want an education however I belive it is something that will strengthen me as a parent. I am sorry you are so strongly against education.

Also your taxes pay for public schools, do you think they should be shut down as well? Do you believe that only children of wealthy should be allowed an education? If so than I really hope you never fall onto financial hardship. I hope you never have to ask for and take help from someone other than yourself. Allow yourself a little room for grace.

Just because I send my daughter to a public, government funded preschool does not mean I belive I am entitled to anything I do belive my daughter should be able to experience an education. Her father and I work very hard to pay for her every need but privat pre school is just not a bill that we can afford while I am in school.

Again you seem very angry about education and I find that incredibly disturbing. I am sorry you feel so much hatred towards me and my children. You are the exact type I teach my children to not act like. Angry, bitter, mean.
what

Exeter, NH

#19 May 14, 2010
ok i will teach your kids for free. ill teach them to get off wellfare marry good people get a good job and pay for everything they get
Amanda K

United States

#20 May 14, 2010
Don't worry I would not let someone with such a chip on their shoulder come anywhere near my children.

We aren't on welfare either thank you very much. The program my child participates in is no different than all the kids that go to public school.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Exeter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SGould a houseguest make or strip the bed on th... Nov 23 ed in Florida 1
Woman Sues Over Having To Buy 2 Plane Seats (Feb '06) Nov 23 AAMech 309
70 mph speed limit proposed for Route 101 (Feb '14) Nov 15 Tyler Sheehan 12
Police: Arrest made in major drug bust (Jun '13) Nov 12 Slam pigs 5
Competition draws non-profits Oct '14 reality is a crutch 1
Exeter mobile home fire deemed suspicious Aug '14 mr truth 1
Mom, on Bail for Nanny's Identity Theft, Piles ... (May '11) Aug '14 Lynda Rixie 6

Exeter News Video

Exeter Dating
Find my Match

Exeter People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Exeter News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Exeter

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:54 am PST