Joe Lopez of Grupo Mazz found guilty on 3 counts

Leave a comment "Shocking news in Brownsville as a Cameron County jury has convicted former Grupo Mazz singer Joe Lopez of raping a young relative. Full Story
fan

United States

#67 Nov 28, 2006
Listen to the radio KXTN always plays his music because it is the best! seems to me that there is alot of people that request his music now than ever .People in San antonio know good music if you dont like his music then change your station.i guess its for all you people in Houston that dont like Joe
Kimura

United States

#68 Nov 28, 2006
sanmarcos wrote:
IF this girl Krystal is the niece that Joe supposedly raped she has no respect of how she talks bad mouth and she is only fifteen and pregnant.Didnt your parents teach you any morals .How can you make up such a lie people that know Joe know that he would never do such crime like this.Too bad your parents werent there for you and Joe and his wife Tina were.You need be more appreaciative for what they did for you. I personally dont think any body is going to harm him in any way im sure the inmates have read the newspapers and understand reasonable doubt.Joe you will always be the best in tejano music justice will prevail and you will be out soon and all your friends will be waiting for you because we believe in you. May God Bless You. and for the niece you need to find GOD to make you a better person to lead you in the right direction please get help.
Be more appreciative that he raped her.She has the right to to express herself even if it's thru cussing at you non beleivers.I guess if this happened to you or one of your loved ones there would be no anger right cause you have morals right........Get real he did his crime and now has to do his time.I am sure the inmates read the newspapaer too and they have heard thru the grapevine about him and his drug addictions and about the 14 yr old girl he got pregnant in San Anto and DNA proved he was the daddy..........maybe if he sings to them they mght be gentle or maybe not.
Diane

Houston, TX

#69 Nov 29, 2006
fan wrote:
Listen to the radio KXTN always plays his music because it is the best! seems to me that there is alot of people that request his music now than ever .People in San antonio know good music if you dont like his music then change your station.i guess its for all you people in Houston that dont like Joe
Fan,

This may be true but in the long run his music will fade out because he is a looser and people will stop requesting it. Sorry to burst your bubble. I do not support child molesters.

Marisela Garza

Saint Paul, MN

#70 Nov 29, 2006
For someone who wants to move forward,you seem to spend a lot of time reading what we think...why? To move on means just that..I'm seeing a pathological need for attention here.. By the way,littlle girl,my father died in Iraq last month so that silly children like yourself would have the right to "free speech" but that notion wasn't meant as a means for you to spread malicious lies and ruin a person's life. Maybe if you tried a little harder to show people respect,your mother would't have needed to ship you AWAY from her and to YOUR daddy and maybe people's lives would not be destroyed simply because you need attention. People who have been through rape trials know that "if" a rape happens,there are always internal indications of force (bruising or tearing) but according to court reports,you had NO traces of anything (not even fluids) outside or inside. The only reason that jury believed you was because society now believes that nearly every man alive today is a pervert. It's silly little girls like you that make men afraid to be fathers to their daughters because they are terrified of being accused of the exact same thing. Did you think about what this was going to do to Tina,Jennifer,Alma,Lorenzo,and everyone else? I hope you enjoy being known as "that girl who ruined her own family" and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame,because when all this is said and done, YOU will wind up being the one who's ALONE.What accusations do you have in store for your mother now that you have ripped apart your father's family? Tread lightly,fellow posters,any of us could be next,given her perfect credibility with the Cameron County DA. Dial 211 on your phone,they can help you get the MENTAL help you need.
Marisela Garza

Saint Paul, MN

#71 Nov 29, 2006
Well,for one,I know that evidence-like semen isn't viable after 24 hours,unless someone took extra care to preserve it (so it could be used during the trial) and according to the court transcripts she said that he touched her thigh and put a hand in her shorts, which makes the issue that he FONDLED her (maybe) but not raped her,because rape involves penetration of some area,which the medical experts found absolutely no trace of. And ifhe DID rape her, there would have been some kind of internal indications of that,some bruising or even a hair or skin cells that got left behind. We leave skin cells on absolutely everything we ever come in contact with every single day,so why would this scenario be the exception?
Marisela Garza

Saint Paul, MN

#72 Nov 29, 2006
The 14-year-old in question stated during the trial shat she was SUBPOENAED by the DA to testify against him,but,if you read the transcripts, the only negative thing she said was that he didn't regularly pay child support so she took him to court over it. There is a statute of limitations on these things..that was 20 years ago..haven't we all changed in 20 years? And she said that their relationship was consensual (not rape) and if that is true,wasn't it her parents place to press charges if they wanted to?(No one did,so obviously they didn't believe that he FORCED her to do anything,plus she confirmed it in court) Prior "bad acts" should have been objected to by Joe's attorneys and disregarded by the judge and the jury because they allegedly happened too long ago to have any current relevance in the current trial,just as you cannot prosecute a person today for something that happened 20 years ago,unless it was a murder and even those cases are difficult to prosecute successfully.
DTOWN

Dallas, TX

#73 Nov 29, 2006
You bring up some good points and I can aprecitae the fact that you explain your thoughts/theories.Well just because the 14 yr old girls parents didn't bring up charges does not make it right for a grown man to have consenual sex with a minor.IF he maybe fondled her and not raped her as you say..........it was still his neice and a minor.The fact that he fathered a child with a 14yr old girl just isn't right and leads one to beleive that he had a history of a fetish for young girls.What about the other relative(s) that testified that he had tried to assualt them..........again you seem to be in the "know" so maybe you can shed some light on that issue aswell.
Krystal

Houston, TX

#74 Nov 29, 2006
Marisela Garza wrote:
For someone who wants to move forward,you seem to spend a lot of time reading what we think...why? To move on means just that..I'm seeing a pathological need for attention here.. By the way,littlle girl,my father died in Iraq last month so that silly children like yourself would have the right to "free speech" but that notion wasn't meant as a means for you to spread malicious lies and ruin a person's life. Maybe if you tried a little harder to show people respect,your mother would't have needed to ship you AWAY from her and to YOUR daddy and maybe people's lives would not be destroyed simply because you need attention. People who have been through rape trials know that "if" a rape happens,there are always internal indications of force (bruising or tearing) but according to court reports,you had NO traces of anything (not even fluids) outside or inside. The only reason that jury believed you was because society now believes that nearly every man alive today is a pervert. It's silly little girls like you that make men afraid to be fathers to their daughters because they are terrified of being accused of the exact same thing. Did you think about what this was going to do to Tina,Jennifer,Alma,Lorenzo,and everyone else? I hope you enjoy being known as "that girl who ruined her own family" and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame,because when all this is said and done, YOU will wind up being the one who's ALONE.What accusations do you have in store for your mother now that you have ripped apart your father's family? Tread lightly,fellow posters,any of us could be next,given her perfect credibility with the Cameron County DA. Dial 211 on your phone,they can help you get the MENTAL help you need.
I think the only silly little girl is you. Maybe you should be dialing 211 for your own mental needs. Yes, I do like to read these comments on how ridiculus you and his fans are they are quite amusing. Seems that you can not leave this behind, you must now speak out about a ridiculus man that lied to all his family and to you; that he was an innocent man. You want to blame the victims and feel sorry for the predators. Joe ruined his own families lives because of his actions. I am not to blame for his actions, and as for Tina, Jennifer, Lorenzo and Alma and all the family that I once had and Joe Lopez took that away from me. They need to realize that he is a grown man and acted like a fool, so he must pay for his actions. Nothin that you say will make a difference on where he is. he will remain there until he has served his time and he will then know how it feals to be raped.

Krystal

Houston, TX

#75 Nov 29, 2006
sanmarcos wrote:
IF this girl Krystal is the niece that Joe supposedly raped she has no respect of how she talks bad mouth and she is only fifteen and pregnant.Didnt your parents teach you any morals .How can you make up such a lie people that know Joe know that he would never do such crime like this.Too bad your parents werent there for you and Joe and his wife Tina were.You need be more appreaciative for what they did for you. I personally dont think any body is going to harm him in any way im sure the inmates have read the newspapers and understand reasonable doubt.Joe you will always be the best in tejano music justice will prevail and you will be out soon and all your friends will be waiting for you because we believe in you. May God Bless You. and for the niece you need to find GOD to make you a better person to lead you in the right direction please get help.
Obviously your parents didn't teach you any morals you are supporting a child molester
Adelia Ramos

Saint Paul, MN

#77 Nov 29, 2006
I will not say that whatever you may/may not have gone through was not a difficult thing,but you also need to accept the truth: a lot of people will always love Joe no matter what.That doesn't minimize whatever he may/may not have done to you, I just hope you can understand that without hearing your full story,we can only base our views on what info is out there-papers,etc.I'm not saying that you NEED to open up your worst experience to every person who writes here,just appreciate that opinions are formed based on our own experiences.I hope that you are able to move on and make a better life for you and your baby,one that isn't clouded by all this nonsense.
Kathy

Houston, TX

#78 Nov 29, 2006
Krystal,

There is no reason for you to say anything anymore some people can not and will not except the truth. Some people will always think that he is innocent and that's OK because he is sitting in jail; no matter what their comments are he will still remain in jail.

You are a very courageous young girl, never be ashamed for what you did, lift your head up high. You did not ruine Joe's Life but he scared yours. Be strong and don't let opinions run your life, be strong and may God Bless you and your family.

Take Care!!
Lola

Houston, TX

#79 Nov 29, 2006
Krystal wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh san marcos whoever u are...i do have respect but not for the dumba*s people who are callin me a liar. and first of all im not 15 so dont start posting something like that unless you know your facts....and yea im pregnant BUt what since im pregnant that makes me less of a person? If this is a man im talking to. I'm sure you'd be shottin them out ur a*s if men could get pregnant and have kids. so how do u define tina and joe being there for me? cuz last time i checked he raped me the first chance he got and tina after she new what had happened lied and said that they had sex all around the house and the dna got there from a towel. So u think the inmates arent gonna harm him in anyway? Well thats were your wrong you must of never been locked up or known of somebody who was. One of my uncles was in prison for 5 years for beatin up 2 cops and he told me that once theres word of a new inmate that has raped a young girl they get there a*s wooped daily. and dont think just cuz he's joe lopez they wont put him in general population cuz they will and all the gangs in there will have there turn especially the ones that are never getting out and have lost there family they HATE rapist. w/b i'd like to see what new dumb sh*t your going to come up with to defend joe
This so call loyal friend can not even identify their self. Krystal you are a very courageous young girl don't let people like this upset up. Keep your chin up.
Dee

Houston, TX

#80 Nov 29, 2006
Marisela Garza wrote:
Well,for one,I know that evidence-like semen isn't viable after 24 hours,unless someone took extra care to preserve it (so it could be used during the trial) and according to the court transcripts she said that he touched her thigh and put a hand in her shorts, which makes the issue that he FONDLED her (maybe) but not raped her,because rape involves penetration of some area,which the medical experts found absolutely no trace of. And ifhe DID rape her, there would have been some kind of internal indications of that,some bruising or even a hair or skin cells that got left behind. We leave skin cells on absolutely everything we ever come in contact with every single day,so why would this scenario be the exception?
Marisela,

Give it up the truth was heard and he is in jail where he belongs. Don't try to justify dna after the trial is over you should have been a true friend and defended him in court as his attorney, you seem to know how all of this dna works. All I know is that dna doesn't lie and if dna was collect at the crime or after the crime it can link someone to that crime. Let's not forget about monica louinsky, the President did not get away with that.

So give yourself a break and stop trying to defend someone that was already found guilty and is serving time for his stupid mistake.

Joe ruined his own life and also his family.
Tina was his mistress for almost 15 years until he married her. Tina ruined Joe's marriage if you want to blame others, start there. How could someone knowing that this person is married continue to date him. This may not be unsual but it really starts there, they were commiting adultry and we do not leave without paying for what we did in this life.

Just my opinion
BEL

Houston, TX

#81 Nov 29, 2006
Joe Lopez sent to Huntsville prison
By JOSÉ BORJÓN
The Brownsville Herald

November 29, 2006 — It might be 10 years or more before Tejano star Joe Lopez can come back to Brownsville.

Last week, the 56-year-old convicted rapist was transferred out of the Carrizalez-Rucker Detention Center in Olmito and will spend the next few days being evaluated at the Texas Department of Criminal Justice’s Byrd Unit in Huntsville.

Earlier this month, Lopez was sentenced to serve 20 years in prison on two counts of aggravated sexual assault of a child and one count of indecency with a child, according to court documents.
He is scheduled to go before the state parole board on Oct. 26, 2016. If Lopez is not granted parole, he is scheduled to be released Oct. 26, 2026.

Lopez arrived at the Byrd Unit on Nov. 20, according to personnel with the state’s prison system.

Lopez is currently being evaluated and will later be sent to another prison, officials with the Byrd Unit said. They did not know which of the prisons in Texas Lopez will be sent to serve his full term.

Lopez, a Brownsville native, co-founded Grupo Mazz in the 1970s and became the group’s lead singer, producing several hits and albums. He and co-founder Jimmy Gonazlez split in 1998 and formed separate bands.

jborjon@brownsvilleherald.com

You see Krystal this is why you never have to be ashamed of yourself you are a very courageous young girl and never be ashamed of what you did. Even if people don't understand and want to blame you for this, they did not go through what you did.

I would like to personally thank you for standing up for your rights; I can see that it was a very difficult decision because, this was a famous person, but this can also be a message to others that are being violated, that we will not tolerate this type of behavior anymore.

Whom ever wants to support this, good luck to you and hope that this doesn't happen to your children or grandchildren. Don't try to justify joe by saying that you would not leave your child with a family member because it may not happen to your children but remember that we have grandchildren as well.

Thank you Krystal for your courageous acts. It take s alot of guts to stand up to a superstar.

Best wishes with your new born.

Krystal

Houston, TX

#82 Nov 29, 2006
Marisela Garza wrote:
For someone who wants to move forward,you seem to spend a lot of time reading what we think...why? To move on means just that..I'm seeing a pathological need for attention here.. By the way,littlle girl,my father died in Iraq last month so that silly children like yourself would have the right to "free speech" but that notion wasn't meant as a means for you to spread malicious lies and ruin a person's life. Maybe if you tried a little harder to show people respect,your mother would't have needed to ship you AWAY from her and to YOUR daddy and maybe people's lives would not be destroyed simply because you need attention. People who have been through rape trials know that "if" a rape happens,there are always internal indications of force (bruising or tearing) but according to court reports,you had NO traces of anything (not even fluids) outside or inside. The only reason that jury believed you was because society now believes that nearly every man alive today is a pervert. It's silly little girls like you that make men afraid to be fathers to their daughters because they are terrified of being accused of the exact same thing. Did you think about what this was going to do to Tina,Jennifer,Alma,Lorenzo,and everyone else? I hope you enjoy being known as "that girl who ruined her own family" and enjoy your 15 minutes of fame,because when all this is said and done, YOU will wind up being the one who's ALONE.What accusations do you have in store for your mother now that you have ripped apart your father's family? Tread lightly,fellow posters,any of us could be next,given her perfect credibility with the Cameron County DA. Dial 211 on your phone,they can help you get the MENTAL help you need.
By the way little girl you should be defending a true hero as your dad, not a child molester. You probably need more help than you have expressed. I in return will not tolerate a molester even if it is family. The one that needs mental help is you, dial 211. You must really be intouch with the number you know it by heart.

Child molester supporter. 211
Relative

Houston, TX

#83 Nov 29, 2006
Marisela Garza wrote:
The 14-year-old in question stated during the trial shat she was SUBPOENAED by the DA to testify against him,but,if you read the transcripts, the only negative thing she said was that he didn't regularly pay child support so she took him to court over it. There is a statute of limitations on these things..that was 20 years ago..haven't we all changed in 20 years? And she said that their relationship was consensual (not rape) and if that is true,wasn't it her parents place to press charges if they wanted to?(No one did,so obviously they didn't believe that he FORCED her to do anything,plus she confirmed it in court) Prior "bad acts" should have been objected to by Joe's attorneys and disregarded by the judge and the jury because they allegedly happened too long ago to have any current relevance in the current trial,just as you cannot prosecute a person today for something that happened 20 years ago,unless it was a murder and even those cases are difficult to prosecute successfully.
What ever your name is,

There is a statue of limitation for everything but it still doesn't make it right.

Even though this lady appeared in court because the DA subpeoned her does not make a difference, Joe Lopez knew that she was 14 years old when he was banging her. When Norma Jean was testifying, Tina Lopez stormed out of the court because Tina did not want to hear that Joe had Banged Norma Jean when he did.

The reason Joe did not have contact with Joe Lorenzo the son of Joe Lopez was because Tina did not want him to, but Tina was around when Joe was subpeoned to court for child molestation and aggrevated sexual assault with Norma Jean, but the court dropped the charges becuase Joe paid Norma Jean a lump sum of money. This was the reason he was let off the hook or else he would have been in jail a long time ago for rape. Joe was able to buy himself out of alot of things and this was one of them. I guess nobody has mentioned this.

Relative

Houston, TX

#84 Nov 29, 2006
DTOWN wrote:
You bring up some good points and I can aprecitae the fact that you explain your thoughts/theories.Well just because the 14 yr old girls parents didn't bring up charges does not make it right for a grown man to have consenual sex with a minor.IF he maybe fondled her and not raped her as you say..........it was still his neice and a minor.The fact that he fathered a child with a 14yr old girl just isn't right and leads one to beleive that he had a history of a fetish for young girls.What about the other relative(s) that testified that he had tried to assualt them..........again you seem to be in the "know" so maybe you can shed some light on that issue aswell.
See page 5 There are more realistic thoughts. I lived them.
Relative

Houston, TX

#85 Nov 29, 2006
Marisela Garza wrote:
The 14-year-old in question stated during the trial shat she was SUBPOENAED by the DA to testify against him,but,if you read the transcripts, the only negative thing she said was that he didn't regularly pay child support so she took him to court over it. There is a statute of limitations on these things..that was 20 years ago..haven't we all changed in 20 years? And she said that their relationship was consensual (not rape) and if that is true,wasn't it her parents place to press charges if they wanted to?(No one did,so obviously they didn't believe that he FORCED her to do anything,plus she confirmed it in court) Prior "bad acts" should have been objected to by Joe's attorneys and disregarded by the judge and the jury because they allegedly happened too long ago to have any current relevance in the current trial,just as you cannot prosecute a person today for something that happened 20 years ago,unless it was a murder and even those cases are difficult to prosecute successfully.
Whatever Marisela,

Your comment make some sense but not a whole lot. It doesn't matter if Norma Jean was there on her own will or not, she was still a 14 year old and that is all that matters, even if the judge or whom ever tells you that you do not need to take this into consideration, but if you are human you will, no matter what Joe has a fetish for younger women. His wife now is about 25 years younger than him and lets be realistic Norma Jean was 14 when he started seeing her.

You have the courage to speak for this man you are probably relatied to him in some way and can not accept reality. Find the Lord and get some professional help. 211
DTOWN

Dallas, TX

#86 Nov 30, 2006
Relative wrote:
<quoted text>
See page 5 There are more realistic thoughts. I lived them.
Thank you for sharing some of what you and your family have been thru.I think in the hispanic community this (fondling,molestation)is common in alot of familes,but they sweep it under the rug.It takes courage to come forth and go to the police when someone is raped/molested.....alot of victims don't and these predators keep getting away with it.The fact that alot of people on here think he is innocent becasue they love his music and he was nice to them at a show..........just shows how backwoods some people think.I know he missed some shows here and his drug addiction was widely known here aswell.
Marisela Garza

Saint Paul, MN

#87 Nov 30, 2006
I wanted to be there for the trial,but at the time I was graduating law school.Believe me, I wish I had been there to find competent lawyers to do what they were paid to do. I have ALWAYS posted my name here,so to say that I won't identify myself is untrue. I have never said that Joe was perfect,I know through experience he is far from it. Nor have I ever said that what he did (if he did it) was right,all I have ever said was that RAPE involves a forced sexual act and what the girl said during the trial was that he TOUCHED her thigh and under her shorts-NOT that he forced her to have sex with him. Anyone whose been to an OB-GYN knows that when you have sex-forced or not, there are always internal indications of it-which the medical experts DID NOT FIND ANY OF.I never said that she ruined anyone's life, I said IF SHE LIED ABOUT IT TO CONVICT HIM, then the LIES is what ruined his life.As a woman, I would never say that ANYONE-regardless of how they present themselves- should ever have to go through anything like that,ever-singer or not...the point is that her testimony said TOUCHED,which is not the same as rape..and I never said that she HAD to tell anybody anything,I just stated that we only know what the media wants us to know combined with what we know about Joe through our own individual experiences.But I cannot,and will not apologize for my views.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Encantada-Ranchito El Calaboz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TX Who do you support for Governor in Texas in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Capt Cho 18,476
TX Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 5 hr Waco 1909 22,608
TX Who do you support for Commissioner of Agricult... (Oct '10) Sep 15 Gasman 566
Local ghost hunters take on Berta Cabaza Middle... (Oct '10) Sep 14 Jaden_Ybarra 7
TX Who do you support for Attorney General in Texa... (Oct '10) Sep 14 That Fart Guy 676
TX Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in T... (Oct '10) Sep 10 Gasman 728
TX Who do you support for Railroad Commissioner in... (Oct '10) Sep 9 Gasman 796
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Cameron County was issued at September 20 at 1:11PM CDT

•••
•••

Encantada-Ranchito El Calaboz Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Encantada-Ranchito El Calaboz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Encantada-Ranchito El Calaboz News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Encantada-Ranchito El Calaboz
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••