School board limits group's field sign to temporary display

May 28, 2010 Full story: ElmLeaves

A local civic organization will have to do without signage highlighting its recent renovation of an Elmwood Park baseball field for now.

Full Story
Concerned Resident

Tinley Park, IL

#1 May 28, 2010
As a life long resident of Elmwood Park, I have witnessed Mayor Peter Silvestri and his posse play politics at the expense of our residents' well being for too long. The Elmwood Park Neighborhood Civic Organization, which I plan on joining, has continued to do good things for our community, although, they have received resistance from the Village Administation the entire time. The Civic Organization raised over $25,000 to renovate a ball field that was in shameful form and the the school board and the village could not even dedicate a thank you sign to this group. This organization also brought a reputable farmer to the village this past month and attempted to implement a farmer's market in our town for the first time. The farmer was licensed and insured and the village and the taxpayer did not have to pay a single dime for this event. The farmer's market was to take place every Sunday morning from May-October, yet the Village Posse stated that the civic gruop shall not promote or sponsor this event. Well, I have seen enough and I now realize that this town needs some major changes.
REZ

United States

#2 Aug 19, 2010
I think the farmers market is a bad idea. We have two local grocery stores in Elmwood Park. A farmers market would only hurt their business and you're completely wrong or naive if you don't think that it will. Remember, the Village recieves the sales tax at our local businesses.

As far as the sign on the baseball field goes, I'm impartial. I think they should be recognized, however I consider that the village has been taking care of all the schools fields for years without recognition. People expect that the village is supposed to do this, but it's really the schools responsibilty.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elmwood Park Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Zurek blows it AGAIN 9 min Town 6
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Blwlgo 1,923
Scavo soon to be back on the loose (Oct '13) 1 hr Taxpayer for years 11
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr D-U-H 49,807
15th ave adult bookstore (Oct '11) 2 hr anonymous 872
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) 5 hr Gofigger 149
Barrett Frances Pedersen Divorced? 6 hr nunyah 17
•••
•••
•••

Elmwood Park Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Elmwood Park People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE