CRCT scores & timeline

Posted in the Ellijay Forum

Terry Daniel

Ellijay, GA

#1 Aug 7, 2012
From the T-C, July 26, I read that CRCT scores for grades 3 & 4 are about 15% below state average. One way to identify a problem is to find out when it started, so what has happened during this period that may have affected these scores? I can only think of 2 things: we have a new school superintendent that has made some drastic changes and we have young kids riding the busses 3 hours per day. Is there anything else?
Reality

Ellijay, GA

#2 Aug 7, 2012
Defending an indefensible public education system is a VERY time-consuming job. But with lucrative $100K salaries on the line, keeping the gravy train running is essential.

There are stats to be collected, letters to be written, multiple personalities to be invented, LEPers to be blamed, and opponents to be attacked.

OTOH, although Gilmer's expenditures per student are way ABOVE average, and our grades are way BELOW average, we do have one of the finest BOE castles in the state. Well, expect for the contaminated soil underneath it.

Bought for "30 cents on the dollar", and now worth about $0.00 to any buyer who exercises due diligence, it turns out, oddly enough, that the castle is one of the best real estate investments they ever made. Millions were lost on Oakland and the 382 property.

We don't expect real estate tycoons like "The Donald" to be worrying about some steenking CRCT scores.

The chicken plant across the street beckons our graduates.

Since: Jul 08

Ellijay, GA

#3 Aug 7, 2012
Terry Daniel wrote:
From the T-C, July 26, I read that CRCT scores for grades 3 & 4 are about 15% below state average. One way to identify a problem is to find out when it started, so what has happened during this period that may have affected these scores? I can only think of 2 things: we have a new school superintendent that has made some drastic changes and we have young kids riding the busses 3 hours per day. Is there anything else?
If you look at the middle school scores they aren't too bad. This could mean that our elementary instruction several years ago may have been more adequate. But our current elementary scores are deplorable. The two reasons you stated, change of superintendent and long commutes are two possible reasons, but I think we also need to look at the fact that we have placed almost 1200 children in one elementary school. That is unheard of. And we did that with no extra resources allocated for additional instruction, after school help, tutoring etc.

I wonder if anyone considered busing 200 students from the already large school to Oakland making two medium sized schools?
crazy people

Ellijay, GA

#4 Aug 7, 2012
There was after school help available started in Feb and went up until crct at ellijay elementary 3 days a week and gms did 3 some after school stuff also
ironeagle

Newnan, GA

#5 Aug 7, 2012
crazy people wrote:
There was after school help available started in Feb and went up until crct at ellijay elementary 3 days a week and gms did 3 some after school stuff also
and I bet not one single low scoring child or parents attended
Numbers

Orlando, FL

#6 Aug 7, 2012
procon1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If you look at the middle school scores they aren't too bad. This could mean that our elementary instruction several years ago may have been more adequate. But our current elementary scores are deplorable. The two reasons you stated, change of superintendent and long commutes are two possible reasons, but I think we also need to look at the fact that we have placed almost 1200 children in one elementary school. That is unheard of. And we did that with no extra resources allocated for additional instruction, after school help, tutoring etc.
I wonder if anyone considered busing 200 students from the already large school to Oakland making two medium sized schools?
I think you have your information wrong. There are still 2 elementary schools in Gilmer County, MVE and EES. EES was a combination of Oakland and EES last year. Oakland had a population of 300 students. The 4th and 5th grade students at Oakland and EES all moved to GMS. There were nearly 400 4th and 5th grade students at EES alone combined with about 90 from Oakland, so in reality there were about 200 less students at EES last year. MVE has a student population of about 600 students.

EPS did combine with EES and Oakland as well, but there are still less students in those 2 buildings that were there the year before. Those building are just under one principal instead of two.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ellijay Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 9 min silverfox 56,827
gay cruising at 515 scenic overlook (Aug '12) 54 min Ga Girl 56 92
Has Your AT&T Wireless Service Deteriorated (Aug '13) 1 hr Ga Girl 56 28
FBI charges against Hot Rods N Harleys Owner (Aug '12) 1 hr eric 171
Coosawattee River Resort Ripping Off Owners (Apr '07) 19 hr Appalled 10,933
GA Who do you support for Governor in Georgia in 2... (Oct '10) Tue tammy101 2,072
Keeping Bears Out of Trash Cans (Mar '13) Tue Bear Wrestler 27

Ellijay News Video

Ellijay Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Ellijay Jobs

Ellijay People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Ellijay News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ellijay

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]