Preacher's son Tim Tyson explores North Carolina's racial...

May 19, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: News Observer

About Timothy B. Tyson's "Blood Done Sign My Name" Published: 2004 by Crown Books Copies sold: 140,000 Honors: Southern Book award, 2007 Louisville Grawemeyer Award in Religion and others Movie: Being filmed in ...

Comments (Page 4)

Showing posts 61 - 80 of80
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jimmy Gardner

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2008

Judged:

If you can't deal with someone's arguments, just tell folks they are "not from here" or from somehere "left wing extremist"--as if there are no conservatives in Wisconsin, which elected Sen. Joe McCarthy (think "McCarthyism") several times. If Vernon gets his due from God, rest assured you will never see Vernon.

Let's boil it down like this. The Teels butchered Henry Marrow like a hog--for example, they shot him while he was running away, beat him nearly to death, and then shot him between the eyes as he lay helpless. Vernon said this was wrong, and he paid the price for that.

But Vernon is a man of God, and God already knows his heart. Your heart is a nest of snakes, and you know it. Stop trying to convince people that somehow your story got told wrong (after all, you refused to tell it) and instead start thinking about how you might have acted differently, and where we all might learn from this mess.
Jimmy
blood done lied

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

Judged:

Jimmy Gardner wrote:
If you can't deal with someone's arguments, just tell folks they are "not from here" or from somehere "left wing extremist"--as if there are no conservatives in Wisconsin, which elected Sen. Joe McCarthy (think "McCarthyism") several times. If Vernon gets his due from God, rest assured you will never see Vernon.
Let's boil it down like this. The Teels butchered Henry Marrow like a hog--for example, they shot him while he was running away, beat him nearly to death, and then shot him between the eyes as he lay helpless. Vernon said this was wrong, and he paid the price for that.
But Vernon is a man of God, and God already knows his heart. Your heart is a nest of snakes, and you know it. Stop trying to convince people that somehow your story got told wrong (after all, you refused to tell it) and instead start thinking about how you might have acted differently, and where we all might learn from this mess.
Jimmy
Everything you say is wrong. You are so far removed from this story it is ridiculous. Tyson's book is full of lies and distortions designed either to spice up the book or get revenge on the 'town that done his daddy wrong' or both.

I know the town, knew a lot of the people in this book, and the lies in this piece of literary garbage stand out like neon signs.

I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior,(a concept I never learned from Vernon) so I will take my chances with God. You are a typical left wing liberal who thinks whites are all racists and blacks can do no wrong. In addition, you apparently know nothing about butchering hogs.

The Teels and the Oakleys were not people to mess with, but they operated their business in a predominately black area with few problems. Had this black 'Vietnam veteran' kept his mouth shut none of this would have happened.

Blacks kill each other every day just because they did not like the way somebody LOOKED at them, much less saying something insulting.

Tim and Vernon have filled this book full of lies and distortions. They have gained fame and fortune, but "what does it profit a man to gain the world and lose his soul?".
Parham Cheatham Hobgood

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2008

Judged:

Our friend from Gastonia never sat in Vernon Tyson's church, or he'd never disparage Vernon's faith. You could disagree with his politics--I occasionally did--but the man is a Christian through and through. He's the best preacher I ever had, and I am not all that liberal. To speculate that he has somehow lost his soul is just ridiculous. He preached in Oxford not that long ago and he had plenty of soul left, I assure you, and also humility and humor.
And you can't blame Vernon for the book, either; he did not write it, and the author is actually somewhat critical of his father, and himself, for that matter. I have to wonder if Gastonia really read this book very closely.
I grew up in Oxford Methodist Church. Oxford was a hard town in those days. The Marrow murder was not the first problem nor the last. Things have changed but not enough. The book has been helpful, though it is not without small flaws. But I know most of the people in the book and recognize them in these pages. Gastonia says it's full of "lies and distortions," but I only found a couple of meaningless errors.
For Gastonia to say the Teels operated their business without problems with blacks is a bigger misconception than anything in the book. Teel had a reputation for his bad temper and his hardline attitude toward blacks. I have a friend who saw him at Klan functions on more than one occasion. I don't have anything against the man, but he was what he was. What he is now I could not say. I wish him well.
Gastonia is the one who should worry for his soul. He seems to be saying that somebody "insulting" the Teels is justifiable homicide. This is not true, no matter the color. You can't shoot everyone who insults you.
As for young blacks killing each other today, Tyson deals with that in his book, too, in the last couple of paragraphs, saying that the blacks' own deeply internalized ideas of "white supremacy" lead them to believe "that their own lives are worthless enough to be poured out in the crack wars." After some years teaching school, that strikes me as remarkably telling.
blood done lied

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2008

Judged:

Parham Cheatham Hobgood wrote:
Our friend from Gastonia never sat in Vernon Tyson's church, or he'd never disparage Vernon's faith. You could disagree with his politics--I occasionally did--but the man is a Christian through and through. He's the best preacher I ever had, and I am not all that liberal. To speculate that he has somehow lost his soul is just ridiculous. He preached in Oxford not that long ago and he had plenty of soul left, I assure you, and also humility and humor.
And you can't blame Vernon for the book, either; he did not write it, and the author is actually somewhat critical of his father, and himself, for that matter. I have to wonder if Gastonia really read this book very closely.
I grew up in Oxford Methodist Church. Oxford was a hard town in those days. The Marrow murder was not the first problem nor the last. Things have changed but not enough. The book has been helpful, though it is not without small flaws. But I know most of the people in the book and recognize them in these pages. Gastonia says it's full of "lies and distortions," but I only found a couple of meaningless errors.
For Gastonia to say the Teels operated their business without problems with blacks is a bigger misconception than anything in the book. Teel had a reputation for his bad temper and his hardline attitude toward blacks. I have a friend who saw him at Klan functions on more than one occasion. I don't have anything against the man, but he was what he was. What he is now I could not say. I wish him well.
Gastonia is the one who should worry for his soul. He seems to be saying that somebody "insulting" the Teels is justifiable homicide. This is not true, no matter the color. You can't shoot everyone who insults you.
As for young blacks killing each other today, Tyson deals with that in his book, too, in the last couple of paragraphs, saying that the blacks' own deeply internalized ideas of "white supremacy" lead them to believe "that their own lives are worthless enough to be poured out in the crack wars." After some years teaching school, that strikes me as remarkably telling.
If you grew up in Oxford Methodist Church and were there during the time of the Teel incident, Parham Cheatham Hobgood is not your real name. What did you do, pick out three of the most common last names in Granville County? Why don't you throw Currin and Bullock in for good measure?
blood done lied

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Judged:

Where did I say it was OK to shoot someone for insulting you? You and Tall Tale Tim must have learned journalism from the same match book cover. You both got A's in "Lies and Distortions 101".
blood done lied

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2008

Judged:

True to the "I hate myself because I am white" liberal philosophy, when blacks kill each other over crack it is still the white man's fault.

After 40 years of affirmative action, preferential treatment in education, employment, and social programs, and billions upon billions in give-aways (free food, free housing, free medical treatment, etc, etc) to blacks, exactly when are blacks going to be responsible and accountable for their own actions?
Jimmy Gardner

Fuquay Varina, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

Judged:

If you think that white supremacy is a white-only disease, you have not looked at the enduring damage of racism in America deeply enough. Skin-bleaching cream? Hair-straightening agents? The "paper bag test" for admission to certain elite sororities and fraternities? The rap artists that present a kind of minstrel show for white consumption, with self-inflicted wounds of negative images of black people? This is not white peoples' fault, but instead of symptom of the centuries-old disease of racism.

Of course, anyone who argues that African Americans have had "preferential treatment" in this country, and that they get "free medical treatment" or "free housing" on the basis of race is not dealing in facts but just slinging white supremacist insults.

If black people lived by the Teels' rules, somebody would shoot "blood done lied" for talking smack. But fortunately, African Americans have been mostly a great deal more understanding and patient.
Open Your Eyes

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

His father Vernon Tyson taught him well. This is not about Race it is all about making a dollar. Tim Tyson and his father know the more you stir crap the more it smells and sells why would Professor Tyson go to the public airwaves (WUNC) to call the lacrosse team collectively "white supremacists" and worse.

The skin crawling audio is here.

http://www.ibiblio.org/wunc_archives/sot/inde...

(he starts out reasonably but stay to the end to hear a hard-core hate mongerer in action)

The only principle your professor has is a racist ideology in the service of flogging his books.It's like a three ring circus Vernon, Tim & Eddie.Sad they just have a bunch of fools following them.
Jimmy Gardner

Fuquay Varina, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2008

Judged:

You don't know the first thing about Vernon, who has never given a damn about a dollar. Vernon put it on the line when it wasn't popular to do so and he paid a price. Now he is getting more credit than you'd like, because the world has changed for the better. Not only that, but people can just read the book for themselves and look at the Teels' damfool website and it's pretty clear who's the fool and who hates whom. "It wasn't really a grocery store" does not answer any question worth asking forty years later.(The election of Barack Obama comes closer.) Vernon saw a world that ought to be, and asked us why not, and more of us should have listened, and some of did, thank God. Nobody is a saint and BLOOD DONE SIGN MY NAME does not pretend that anyone is, but all this venom is pointless misplaced.
Joe Freeman

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 20, 2008

Judged:

I grew up in Oxford and remember the summer Oxford was on fire. I remember the confederate soldier right in the middle of town. I remember getting beat up by the black kids every day on the way home from Orange Street and Mary Potter school...at the time I didn't understand why. But now I can certainly understand. Some of you may be too young to understand what whites have done to black folks for most of the time the US of A has been around...I'd hope that if a race of people constantly tried to keep me down...by beating, enslaving, killing or whatever else they wanted...treating me like an animal... that in time I'd get the balls to stand up and fight back. Marrow was no saint, but he didn't deserve to die the way he did...and Teel going free was just as umjustified as OJ getting away with murder.
warren

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2008

Judged:

If what you say is true, then you do not know and have never met a black who was beaten, enslaved, treated like an animal, or killed as part of any organized, institutional, or government sponsored racism. Throughout most of your life blacks have been the recipients of an organized, institutional, government sponsored program of preferential treatment in social programs, employment, education, free food, free housing, etc etc etc.

Have small groups of racists attacked blacks? Yes. Was there more discrimination in Oxford than in the average U.S. city? Maybe, but probably not more than a comparable small southern town. Were the Teels dangerous to mess with? Yes, whether you were white or black.

Does Tyson's book contain bald faced lies, distortions, and disceptions?

Without question.
Joe Freeman wrote:
I grew up in Oxford and remember the summer Oxford was on fire. I remember the confederate soldier right in the middle of town. I remember getting beat up by the black kids every day on the way home from Orange Street and Mary Potter school...at the time I didn't understand why. But now I can certainly understand. Some of you may be too young to understand what whites have done to black folks for most of the time the US of A has been around...I'd hope that if a race of people constantly tried to keep me down...by beating, enslaving, killing or whatever else they wanted...treating me like an animal... that in time I'd get the balls to stand up and fight back. Marrow was no saint, but he didn't deserve to die the way he did...and Teel going free was just as umjustified as OJ getting away with murder.
warren burnette

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 25, 2008

Judged:

The writer who claims that blacks have been "the recipients of an organized, institutional, government-sponsored program of favorism" is an ignorant liar. Ignorant, because he has no knowledge of this, since it does not exist. He's a liar because he knows better. Who distributes free food and free housing on a racial basis? No one. So-called "affirmative action" has done more for white But the larger question--how we will deal with the legacy of slavery and discrimination and violence--Tyson has a lot of sensible thoughts about this, grounded in a local story but much larger than its particulars. It's affectionate about the South and shows a great sense of humor, even while it conveys tough truths on both sides of the color line. All of the harsh comments about the book here come from the Teel family, whose behavior in the book is pretty shabby. Oddly enough, though, Tyson does not even demonize them. Read the book and judge for yourself. For a white guy, not bad, I'd say.
warren

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2008

Judged:

warren burnette wrote:
The writer who claims that blacks have been "the recipients of an organized, institutional, government-sponsored program of favorism" is an ignorant liar. Ignorant, because he has no knowledge of this, since it does not exist. He's a liar because he knows better. Who distributes free food and free housing on a racial basis? No one. So-called "affirmative action" has done more for white But the larger question--how we will deal with the legacy of slavery and discrimination and violence--Tyson has a lot of sensible thoughts about this, grounded in a local story but much larger than its particulars. It's affectionate about the South and shows a great sense of humor, even while it conveys tough truths on both sides of the color line. All of the harsh comments about the book here come from the Teel family, whose behavior in the book is pretty shabby. Oddly enough, though, Tyson does not even demonize them. Read the book and judge for yourself. For a white guy, not bad, I'd say.
You're not too bright. If you do not believe (or will not admit) that blacks have received preferential treatment over the past 40 years you are either stupid or black (or, God forbid, both).

Who distributes free food and housing on a racial basis? The Federal Government! The percentage of the black population that benefits from these programs is much larger than the percentage of the white population that does so.

Affirmative Action helped whites? By its very definition it was put into place to give blacks advantages and opportunities that their education and abilities did not warrant.

How much longer will blacks hide behind the "legacy of slavery and discrimination"? As for violence, blacks have done much more violence to themselves over the last 40 years than whites have done to them.

One should probably have an IQ in the triple digits to post on Topix.
Severinson

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2009

You cannot name one program that is distributed by the federal government on a racial basis, let alone "free food and housing." The largest single demographic group on welfare is white women. Saying it is so don't make it so. Go ahead, name the program, Warren. Tell us who to call. It's just one of those big white lies y'all tell each other: "If I was BLACK, I would have gotten that job." It helps you feel better for being such a loser.
Shocked

Burlington, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2009

WOW! I can't believe the hatred I am reading. I guess I am a lot more naive than I realized.

I was born in VA in the 50s. I am white but I was never raised to think less of anyone. Everyone was equal to us. My best friend in school was black. Her name was Pam. We were just friends. We didn't care that we were a different color.

I now live in NC. My church will be reading this book and studying it. This post has opened my eyes to the fact that racism is alive and well and isn't getting better, like I foolishly thought.

I worked with some homeless folks this summer. About half were black and half were white. Poverty doesn't care what color you are. Apparently, hatred doesn't either. Luckily, those homeless folks didn't has the same issues. They were all in the same boat together and were supporting each other.

Seems to me that a lot of the issue here isn't as much about blacks, whites, or hispanics but more about hatred.

If you pay close attention, those who hate one group, usually hate other groups, too, and hate anyone that doesn't have their hate.

I am a woman. I have been oppressed many times. But I cannot compare it to what blacks have dealt with - and let's not forget what the Native Americans have endured, also.

Haven't read the book yet, but I already have a better understanding of the oppression just from reading these posts.

We have a LONG way to go ...
doc

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 14, 2009

Severinson wrote:
You cannot name one program that is distributed by the federal government on a racial basis, let alone "free food and housing." The largest single demographic group on welfare is white women. Saying it is so don't make it so. Go ahead, name the program, Warren. Tell us who to call. It's just one of those big white lies y'all tell each other: "If I was BLACK, I would have gotten that job." It helps you feel better for being such a loser.
Interesting. Please post the numbers and percentages to back up your comment (how many white women, what % of white women; how many black women, what % of black women; etc

Also please tell the source of your information. This may clear up a lot of misconceptions about this issue.
Johnnyboy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 18, 2009

So dang borring!!!! i hate the frigen thing H H AHa ha
less boring

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2010

Amazed

Norfolk, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2012

Amazed at the level of ignorance present here. People who know how to post replies on the internet, are beyond belief stupid and hateful. Those who claim to be Christians, please post the scripture where Christ calls His followers to hate-anyone-for any reason. You can't re-write the past no matter how much you try. You can learn from it and teach your children to be different. Sadly, it is evident that some people are beyond reason, and without the skills necessary to improve themselves.
ngd

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

Instead of arguing about the book try expression that enriches the reader. We all have something to offer that needs to be heard - anger only distracts the ability to hear the point.

The book is written in order to commercialize and profit from a tragic, horrifying event that has created unity of all in the region.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 61 - 80 of80
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ellenboro Discussions

Search the Ellenboro Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 22 min Waco 1909 49,426
Gospel news: Big night of music coming to Don G... 17 hr Nathaniel roland 1
Thinking of moving to Shelby (Jul '13) Apr 4 Stuck here 7
Triad Wiccans gather to meditate (Apr '07) Apr 3 Mahdi 65
Family opens new bakery in Lincolnton (Oct '13) Mar 27 logical 5
Concert in Ellensboro Mar '14 curious 2
Review: Pamela's Hair Boutique Mar '14 kadedria smith 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Ellenboro Jobs

•••