“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#70448 Aug 3, 2012
Sub,
I myself am not that vain.
I get my glasses at the dollar store and am always very pleased with their performance.

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#70449 Aug 3, 2012
Sublime1 wrote:
I don't understand why you can't make an exception
Rules are rules, bitch! You think you're special? No exceptions. Go shop at that back pack place.

:)

Toj

“Where is Everyone?”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#70450 Aug 3, 2012
itser wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, you are being WAY too hard on yourself! They are horrible people (emotional terrorists, maybe?) and I would love to shut them all up. When I first saw this, I thought "good" and only changed my mind after giving it some thought. You did the same thing. Seems normal to me!
I am a free speech supporter. To me, though, people burying someone and being in that situation, to hear the things some protestors say, I think, equate to someone yelling FIRE when there isn't one. Also, it is their private grieving. Yes, you have to be in public to get to the funeral home, the cemetery, etc. but it is a very private thing.

It could incite a riot. I could see a mourning beating the crap out of someone.

There are times for the greater good you can't say whatever you want at whatever time you want. For me, this might fall into that category.

Good or bad, for or against, I just don't think funerals should be used for demonstration purposes, or at least not within 300 or more yards away.

I probably could be persuaded because I'm not cemented to this, but it's how I'm thinking now.

“On Deck”

Since: Aug 08

French Polynesia

#70451 Aug 3, 2012
Sub,
"What really knocked me out was the cheap sun-glasses"

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#70452 Aug 3, 2012
loose cannon wrote:
Sub,
I myself am not that vain.
I get my glasses at the dollar store and am always very pleased with their performance.
I ride with mine and my safety is on the line. I need something that is form fit. Those glasses were almost made for my head. I've done 170 mph wearing nothing but those glasses and a brain bucket helmet. My eyes didn't tear up a bit.

Plus they are bad as$ looking.

Plus I have prescription eye care benefits and that covers about half the price.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#70453 Aug 3, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
New topic for debate. So, parents of a 12-yr.-old hearing-impaired girl are suing the Girl Scouts because they disbanded the girl's troop. The GS had been paying to have an interpreter attend GS functions. Apparently there are federal guidelines requiring non-profit organizations to accommodate disabilities to an extent as long as it does not place an undue financial burden on the organization. So the mother is claiming the GS disbanded the troop in retaliation for the mother's demand that the GS keep paying for the interpreter. Interpreters cost around $50-60/hr.
My first thought was that it was nice of the GS to pay for the interpreter. Then I got to the end of the article where it said "[The mother] said her family of six relies on her husband's income as an inventory purchaser and can't afford the expense of an interpreter for her daughter." If you can't afford the expense, then why did you have SIX kids? It is ridiculous to me when people have more kids than they can afford, then expect the world to help pay for it. I don't want the girl to suffer because her parents are idiots, but there is nothing saying the girl has to be in the GS, and I am sick of idiots sloughing the consequences of their poor decisions off on other people.
Thoughts?
Membership for the Girl Scouts is $12 a year. So, every week that this girl has an interpreter, all the dues for 4 girls goes to pay for it. How long could the mom have thought that would last? It's unfortunate that they couldn't find someone to volunteer their services for an hour a week, but I find it completely unreasonable for her to sue because of it. Maybe the other parents should sue her for forcing their troop to disband.

You said hearing-impaired. Is she completely deaf? What does she do the rest of the time - obviously she doesn't have an interpreter full-time. Does she go to the same school as the other girls who used to be in that troop? That can't be pleasant. Too bad her mom didn't look at the big picture of the problems she is causing for her daughter.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#70454 Aug 3, 2012
loose cannon wrote:
Sub,
"What really knocked me out was the cheap sun-glasses"

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#70455 Aug 3, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Rules are rules, bitch! You think you're special? No exceptions. Go shop at that back pack place.
:)
Money talks!

Since: Jun 09

Madison, WI

#70456 Aug 3, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Cause lawyers make a lot less than interpreters.
What I meant was that they should stand their ground about what they think is reasonable and fight it in court if necessary. I suspect, if they had made some conciliatory offer, this would not be going to court, as it is now. As I'm interpreting this, the GS disbanded the troop solely to exclude this girl and probably let the other girls join other troops. If this is the case, the girl has cause to sue. Simply not getting an expensive, unreasonable accommodation would not have been cause to sue.

“The two baby belly, please!”

Since: Sep 09

Evanston IL

#70457 Aug 3, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
New topic for debate. So, parents of a 12-yr.-old hearing-impaired girl are suing the Girl Scouts because they disbanded the girl's troop. The GS had been paying to have an interpreter attend GS functions. Apparently there are federal guidelines requiring non-profit organizations to accommodate disabilities to an extent as long as it does not place an undue financial burden on the organization. So the mother is claiming the GS disbanded the troop in retaliation for the mother's demand that the GS keep paying for the interpreter. Interpreters cost around $50-60/hr.
My first thought was that it was nice of the GS to pay for the interpreter. Then I got to the end of the article where it said "[The mother] said her family of six relies on her husband's income as an inventory purchaser and can't afford the expense of an interpreter for her daughter." If you can't afford the expense, then why did you have SIX kids? It is ridiculous to me when people have more kids than they can afford, then expect the world to help pay for it. I don't want the girl to suffer because her parents are idiots, but there is nothing saying the girl has to be in the GS, and I am sick of idiots sloughing the consequences of their poor decisions off on other people.
Thoughts?
1. Did the group, as a non-profit, reach out another non-profit to help defray the cost? Maybe even get the service for free that way.

2. This seems like a great opportunity for the troup to learn sign language. There might even be a badge for it.

3. If the mother thought that it was sooooo important for her kid to be in girl scouts, she could have attended the meetings and been the interpreter. Yes, I realize that she has 5 other kids to tend to, but where there's a will, there's a way. Or perhaps a sibling could have been tapped to help out.

“What's it to ya?”

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#70458 Aug 3, 2012
Sam I Am wrote:
New topic for debate. So, parents of a 12-yr.-old hearing-impaired girl are suing the Girl Scouts because they disbanded the girl's troop. The GS had been paying to have an interpreter attend GS functions. Apparently there are federal guidelines requiring non-profit organizations to accommodate disabilities to an extent as long as it does not place an undue financial burden on the organization. So the mother is claiming the GS disbanded the troop in retaliation for the mother's demand that the GS keep paying for the interpreter. Interpreters cost around $50-60/hr.
My first thought was that it was nice of the GS to pay for the interpreter. Then I got to the end of the article where it said "[The mother] said her family of six relies on her husband's income as an inventory purchaser and can't afford the expense of an interpreter for her daughter." If you can't afford the expense, then why did you have SIX kids? It is ridiculous to me when people have more kids than they can afford, then expect the world to help pay for it. I don't want the girl to suffer because her parents are idiots, but there is nothing saying the girl has to be in the GS, and I am sick of idiots sloughing the consequences of their poor decisions off on other people.
Thoughts?
1. I agree that if you can't afford them, don't have them.

2. Was it the GS paying or was it that troupe? This would make a difference to me I think because I think that GS as an overall organization could afford it, but maybe that particular troupe can't.

3. OTOH life isn't fair and people aren't always going to accommodate whatever special thing an individual has either because they don't want to or can't. <shrug>
PEllen

Chicago, IL

#70459 Aug 3, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a free speech supporter. To me, though, people burying someone and being in that situation, to hear the things some protestors say, I think, equate to someone yelling FIRE when there isn't one. Also, it is their private grieving. Yes, you have to be in public to get to the funeral home, the cemetery, etc. but it is a very private thing.
It could incite a riot. I could see a mourning beating the crap out of someone.
There are times for the greater good you can't say whatever you want at whatever time you want. For me, this might fall into that category.
Good or bad, for or against, I just don't think funerals should be used for demonstration purposes, or at least not within 300 or more yards away.
I probably could be persuaded because I'm not cemented to this, but it's how I'm thinking now.
The right to free speech is balanced against the right to be left alone, a concept which the SCOTUS has endorsed as being inherent in the Constitution. In bg cities there are occasional sound trucks which drive around blaring messages which people cannot get away from. The Court has allowed regulation of teh db levels of those trucks without touching the contents of teh message. Seems to me they could do something similar to WBC

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#70460 Aug 3, 2012
I knew somebody would have my idea! To me, it is a no brainer. teach them all sigh and give them a badge. Local news will gobble it up.
squishymama wrote:
<quoted text>

2. This seems like a great opportunity for the troup to learn sign language. There might even be a badge for it.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#70461 Aug 3, 2012
RACE wrote:
I knew somebody would have my idea! To me, it is a no brainer. teach them all sigh and give them a badge. Local news will gobble it up.
<quoted text>
I agree.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#70462 Aug 3, 2012
RACE wrote:
I knew somebody would have my idea! To me, it is a no brainer. teach them all sigh and give them a badge. Local news will gobble it up.
<quoted text>
How easy is it to learn sign language? I mean how much of the troops time is this going to occupy?

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#70463 Aug 3, 2012
Toj wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a free speech supporter. To me, though, people burying someone and being in that situation, to hear the things some protestors say, I think, equate to someone yelling FIRE when there isn't one. Also, it is their private grieving. Yes, you have to be in public to get to the funeral home, the cemetery, etc. but it is a very private thing.
It could incite a riot. I could see a mourning beating the crap out of someone.
There are times for the greater good you can't say whatever you want at whatever time you want. For me, this might fall into that category.
Good or bad, for or against, I just don't think funerals should be used for demonstration purposes, or at least not within 300 or more yards away.
I probably could be persuaded because I'm not cemented to this, but it's how I'm thinking now.
As I said before, emotionally, I agree with you. They are horrible people and they should have the decency to leave people alone while they bury their dead.
But the fact that their words could incite a riot are not justification, to me, to take their freedom of speech. Civil rights workers could have, and indeed did, incite riots with their words that black Americans had the same rights as white Americans. The only difference I see is that I agree with them and disagree with the WBC.

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#70464 Aug 3, 2012
How easy? No badge worth earning is easy.
My sister had a deaf friend. She would come over sometimes, and my sister knew enough sign, and the kid could read lips well enough that they got along fine. I believe they met at a horse riding school or something.

I would imaging learning sign would take several weeks (meeting once a week), but with a deaf person to actually teach you, it would not be too difficult.
Sublime1 wrote:
<quoted text>
How easy is it to learn sign language? I mean how much of the troops time is this going to occupy?

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#70465 Aug 3, 2012
More parents of the decade candidates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-19068490

“A Programmer is not in IT!”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me!

#70466 Aug 3, 2012
somebody is stealing my great idea.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article...

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#70467 Aug 3, 2012
RACE wrote:
somebody is stealing my great idea.
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article...
It's your own fault. We told you to put the tinfoil hat back on your head and leave it there!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Elk Grove Village Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Teaman 1,153,581
abby 12-19 6 min PEllen 3
BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min Rogue Scholar 05 181,779
Amy 12-19 44 min RACE 4
9 inch kaa land 1 hr Dinesh Kumar Meena 1
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr RACE 4,914
Israeli troops begin Gaza pullout as Hamas decl... (Jan '09) 2 hr TRD 68,882
More from around the web

Elk Grove Village People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Elk Grove Village News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Elk Grove Village

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:32 pm PST

NBC Sports 6:32PM
Week 16 skill-position injury report — Thursday
NBC Sports 7:47 PM
Golden Tate excited for Jimmy Clausen to get another starting opportunity
NBC Sports 3:39 AM
Jimmy Clausen as surprised as anyone he's starting
NBC Sports 4:43 AM
Eddie Lacy can't see himself wearing goggles
NBC Sports 6:51 AM
No current contract talks for Randall Cobb, Packers