Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Judged:

--This sounds really cool..and flattering that they picked beautiful East TN this year..Just hope the redneck idiots we have living here don't live up to their reputations.--

From Tri-Cities.com

The Rainbow Family of Living Light Gathering of the Tribes is underway in the Cherokee National Forest near South Holston Lake.

This gathering to pray for, and celebrate world peace, has been going on for 40 years, and the number of people attending this year's gathering grows each day.

On July 4th, its estimated, there will be about 15-thousand people at the Rainbow Gathering.

Participants say they gather in order to advocate and pray for world peace.

Right now about 600 people are on site in the Cherokee National Forest, helping to set up kitchens, and provide water for the expected crowd.

The Rainbow Gathering has been taking place since 1972, thatís when Vietnam Veteran John Roadrunner first attended.

Roadrunner told me today that having people from thousands of different religions and walks of life, holding hands and praying for peace, is what first drew him to the event.

The U-S Forest Service, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, and the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office are working together to provide security for both the people, and the fores, while the event continues over the next few weeks.
Gina

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Judged:

What bothers me is I am proud of our beautiful mountains and scenery..East Tn has some of the most beautiful spots in the world...
What I'm not proud of is a lot of the local residents and the way they act..every time I go into Walmart, I just can't believe the way some of the people around here act. They have no manners..will just cuss and use profanity right there in public in front of kids and everybody and just act completely retarded. I don't know the percentage of people around here who are meth heads or bath salt users, but it must be pretty high. They really are an embarrassment.
Moonbeam

Summerville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Judged:

Gina wrote:
--This sounds really cool..and flattering that they picked beautiful East TN this year..Just hope the redneck idiots we have living here don't live up to their reputations.--
From Tri-Cities.com
The Rainbow Family of Living Light Gathering of the Tribes is underway in the Cherokee National Forest near South Holston Lake.
This gathering to pray for, and celebrate world peace, has been going on for 40 years, and the number of people attending this year's gathering grows each day.
On July 4th, its estimated, there will be about 15-thousand people at the Rainbow Gathering.
Participants say they gather in order to advocate and pray for world peace.
Right now about 600 people are on site in the Cherokee National Forest, helping to set up kitchens, and provide water for the expected crowd.
The Rainbow Gathering has been taking place since 1972, thatís when Vietnam Veteran John Roadrunner first attended.
Roadrunner told me today that having people from thousands of different religions and walks of life, holding hands and praying for peace, is what first drew him to the event.
The U-S Forest Service, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, and the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office are working together to provide security for both the people, and the fores, while the event continues over the next few weeks.
We really are still trying to find woodstock, but the LSD flasbacks keep us going off course. Pleaes help. Peace everyone.

“Resist or Die”

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

Judged:

Moonbeam wrote:
<quoted text> We really are still trying to find woodstock, but the LSD flasbacks keep us going off course. Pleaes help. Peace everyone.
LOL! LMAO!

Loving You!
Nobody

Erwin, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

Judged:

Hey FGM, have everybody clean up and not leave Holston a disaster. This is our home also. Long before and long after your're gone. 15,000 ppl and " no trace"? No way. I hope you prove me wrong. 420

“Resist or Die”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

Judged:

Hell-o Nobody...

Lets be real here - Of course there will be traces. The paths will be wider, the meadow will have bare spots, the earth around kitchens will be clear of growth and compressed...Some trees will be missing bark where tarps were tied...etc.

Will there be trash? No. In fact, there was a LOT of broken glass, beer bottles and cans, and rusty metal around the area when the first Family arrived. People have been cleaning-up since they set barefoot to the land, and we will all continue to for the duration.
Nobody

Horse Shoe, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Judged:

I would expect that all trash would be hauled out. How about raking the soil and reseeding any large bare areas worn out by the masses. Just bein'n real. And I'm sure some of the local idiots have left trash up there long before now. Thank you for cleaning up what those inbreds left behind.

“Resist or Die”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Judged:

Nobody wrote:
I would expect that all trash would be hauled out. How about raking the soil and reseeding any large bare areas worn out by the masses. Just bein'n real. And I'm sure some of the local idiots have left trash up there long before now. Thank you for cleaning up what those inbreds left behind.
Well, I could give the Rap on clean up, by why believe me? After every Gathering the USFS prepares a Clean-Up Report, and so does Rainbow Family. You can get the FS report by making an official write request to receive a copy. I'm sure they are up online somewhere, but honestly...I haven't slept in 52 hours so...I just can't look for them now. I've read them, they always convey a positive outcome, Often commending the result. Yes, the area is re-seeded with indigenous flora. Everything is taken back apart-bridges, ovens, fire pits, kitchens, etc.

Here's a link to a local news story regarding last years clean-up. This was written well before clean-up was really finished...
http://tdn.com/news/local/article_c31a749a-b8...

That all I can link right now, sorry for spelling or grammar errors that might be throughout above...Really tired...
Discriminate

Hampton, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

Back in the early 90th the Rainbow people cane to the Walnut Mtn (Frog Level area)where the best mountain Trout stream in the area is located,the carter county sheriff and the U S forest service had the road blocked off all that they were letting in or out were the Rainbow people,that was DISCRIMINATION,If the sheriff dept and the U.S. forest service at the gathering start doing this again they will be in federal court in Grenville,also they need to go in there and check on all the young children that are with them and see how many bug bites and cuts they have and see how much neglect is going on.
Nobody

Kingsport, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

FairyGothMother wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I could give the Rap on clean up, by why believe me? After every Gathering the USFS prepares a Clean-Up Report, and so does Rainbow Family. You can get the FS report by making an official write request to receive a copy. I'm sure they are up online somewhere, but honestly...I haven't slept in 52 hours so...I just can't look for them now. I've read them, they always convey a positive outcome, Often commending the result. Yes, the area is re-seeded with indigenous flora. Everything is taken back apart-bridges, ovens, fire pits, kitchens, etc.
Here's a link to a local news story regarding last years clean-up. This was written well before clean-up was really finished...
That all I can link right now, sorry for spelling or grammar errors that might be throughout above...Really tired...
Sounds good. Wish I could be there. Unfortunately, I have to work 45+ hours a week. I guess part of my taxes will go towards paying the $25,000 the National Park Service allotted for the security for the event. 51 hours with no sleep. That's not good. Could be mania. I hope you have a beautiful, wonderful time.
from here

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

FairyGothMother wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to the link and what i'm more worried about than the environment is all the incidents 32 arrest 613 incidents 43% was DRUG RELATED doesn't sound very peaceful to me

“Resist or Die”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

Discriminate wrote:
Back in the early 90th the Rainbow people cane to the Walnut Mtn (Frog Level area)where the best mountain Trout stream in the area is located,the carter county sheriff and the U S forest service had the road blocked off all that they were letting in or out were the Rainbow people,that was DISCRIMINATION,If the sheriff dept and the U.S. forest service at the gathering start doing this again they will be in federal court in Grenville,also they need to go in there and check on all the young children that are with them and see how many bug bites and cuts they have and see how much neglect is going on.
Um...How would they even do that? Rainbow family has no organization. There is no membership, no leaders, no roles. There is absolutely no way they could "only" let Rainbow Family through-because every single human being who shows up is part of the family. Everyone who comes to a Gathering is welcomed and part of the event. The standard line is "everyone with a belly button". So...

More likely, what they did, and what you where witness to, is create the "standard gantlet" they always do. Yes, they put up road blocks, every year. You have to Try to get through, no matter who you are. It is just harassment, an attempt to prevent us from exercising our rights as citizens. If you couldn't make it past them, it's not because you were not Rainbow (you could be, all you have to do is say I'm Rainbow and you are).

As for the children, I sure Kid Village (the camp for families with small children, with special meals and activities for littles) and CALM (the corps of Rainbow Family doctors, nurses, paramedics, counselors, etc. who volunteer) and Shanti Sena (the peace keepers) have everything well in hand. If they don't, the Resource Officers that have been driving around Gathering in glorified golf carts would probably notice.

“Resist or Die”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

Nobody wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds good. Wish I could be there. Unfortunately, I have to work 45+ hours a week. I guess part of my taxes will go towards paying the $25,000 the National Park Service allotted for the security for the event. 51 hours with no sleep. That's not good. Could be mania. I hope you have a beautiful, wonderful time.
Part of every-bodies taxes will go to fund the unasked for "security". And, I think they actually allot quite a bit more then that. Rainbow has it's own "security", however, and what your taxes are paying for is harassment and interference, and the violation of our beliefs, values and Constitutional rights. At least from my POV, and that of many who Gather. These officers have been asked for decades not to bring violence and firearms into our sacred spaces. Not to issue $50 tickets to every individual for assembling freely on public land. Not to randomly ID and fine citizens failing to carry ID in a country that does not require it's citizens to carry or present ID without due cause. Feel free to write to your representatives about that money.

Here's an example of this "security". Kiddie Village (the space for families with infants, small children and pregnant women) was fired upon with rubber bullets at the 2008 Gathering by Federal Officers, nearly resulting in a riot. At no point were officers threatened or assaulted, Family who were there were careful to inform officers they were in Kid Village, while keeping their hands raised and visible and showing no signs of threat. Officers where repeatedly asked to not use weapons in this area, especially rubber bullets as they may not often be lethal to an adult but CAN kill a two year old or cause a miscarriage to a pregnant mother. They fired randomly, spraying the area, while adults used there bodies to shield small children. It was Rainbow Family Shanti Sena that had to prevent a riot, and keep a mob from attacking them in return. They created a violent, terrifying situation in the most protected space at the Gathering, and then had to be protected and evacuated by Family to prevent things from getting worse. Their reason? They believed that ONE man who was there MIGHT have a warrant for cannabis use in another state, and if I remember correctly he did. Is that really a reason to attack a peaceful Camp full of children? No, that's insanity. That's the same as going into a daycare and firing because one parent present had some dope.

No not mania, LOL. I don't have to work a 40 hour week because I don't need or use any money. I do work, though, just not at the same place every day for the same people for the same amount of time to get some paper. Instead, I work to serve and care for other human beings. Sometimes that means giving up sleep or food or whatever for a bit. Which is all good, just leaves me a little foggy at the end.

wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

I just think its halerious that there is a huge stoner gathering coming this way. Just when you think there couldn't be any ideas more dumb, here it comes! Can you imagine how many drug busts are going to take place here??

“Resist or Die”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

from here wrote:
<quoted text>I went to the link and what i'm more worried about than the environment is all the incidents 32 arrest 613 incidents 43% was DRUG RELATED doesn't sound very peaceful to me
How is smoking a joint violent?

All drugs are frowned upon at Gathering, including alcohol. Rainbows don't believe cannabis is a drug, and it's called an herb by Family. But, even if you consider it a drug-how is that violent? In fact, was there a single arrest stemming from actual violence, danger to others, abuse, etc ? I'd love to see the actual report. I was arrested and fined $500 at the WV Gathering for picking a flower and putting it in my hair.

Still, 32 arrests is still a pretty low number. A perusal of the local arrest numbers for Elizabethton TN shows an average arrest rate for 30 people per week. Rainbow has been encamped longer then a week, and Rainbow is still around ya'll weekly average.

“Resist or Die”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

FairyGothMother wrote:
<quoted text>
How is smoking a joint violent?
All drugs are frowned upon at Gathering, including alcohol. Rainbows don't believe cannabis is a drug, and it's called an herb by Family. But, even if you consider it a drug-how is that violent? In fact, was there a single arrest stemming from actual violence, danger to others, abuse, etc ? I'd love to see the actual report. I was arrested and fined $500 at the WV Gathering for picking a flower and putting it in my hair.
Still, 32 arrests is still a pretty low number. A perusal of the local arrest numbers for Elizabethton TN shows an average arrest rate for 30 people per week. Rainbow has been encamped longer then a week, and Rainbow is still around ya'll weekly average.
Just for the record, as well-Elizabethton has a population just under 14,000. Rainbow expects 15,000-20,000.

So, we have a larger population then this city as well. Really, if you just look at the numbers, Elizabethton would appear to have more criminality and violence. Does it? Is it dangerous to live there? Are you afraid of you neighbors and community?
tnt

Jonesborough, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

FairyGothMother wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for the record, as well-Elizabethton has a population just under 14,000. Rainbow expects 15,000-20,000.
So, we have a larger population then this city as well. Really, if you just look at the numbers, Elizabethton would appear to have more criminality and violence. Does it? Is it dangerous to live there? Are you afraid of you neighbors and community?
Most of arrests are just the usual money related arrests for violation probation on not paying fines and etc,not many are violent in nature, just people not using good sense is most common.
Enjoy your gathering be safe and watch out for for the boys with badges they are not to bright and like to try and make a name for themselves.

“Resist or Die”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

tnt wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of arrests are just the usual money related arrests for violation probation on not paying fines and etc,not many are violent in nature, just people not using good sense is most common.
Enjoy your gathering be safe and watch out for for the boys with badges they are not to bright and like to try and make a name for themselves.
:) Well, that's the point. Just because some folks are getting arrested, ticketed, fined at the Gathering doesn't mean they are dangerous or not peaceful, it's mostly paperwork stuff like you describe, or a little pot.

Thank you, I certainly will enjoy it! And I already have my bail money ready, LOL, in case I get caught picking flowers again...

Nobody

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

I'm sure the police can instigate many situations, but many of them enjoy doing that. Being in a large group attracts their attention. I prefer to be a loner.$25,000 is the amount. If the County incurs more expense than that, the County will have to pay it. As far as a sacred place, why not pool your resources and establish a prviately owned piece of property tht you can do what you want without interference? Screw my representatives. Nobody in the local, State or Federal government gives a crap about anything but their own personal gain. Both parties. Be careful about saying to contact your representatives. Romeney may win and if so, the Reps could finda way to refuse permits based on cost or pass that cost directly to you, which is the better choice. Anarachy? H&ll yeah. We need it. But we would implode.
FairyGothMother wrote:
<quoted text>
Part of every-bodies taxes will go to fund the unasked for "security". And, I think they actually allot quite a bit more then that. Rainbow has it's own "security", however, and what your taxes are paying for is harassment and interference, and the violation of our beliefs, values and Constitutional rights. At least from my POV, and that of many who Gather. These officers have been asked for decades not to bring violence and firearms into our sacred spaces. Not to issue $50 tickets to every individual for assembling freely on public land. Not to randomly ID and fine citizens failing to carry ID in a country that does not require it's citizens to carry or present ID without due cause. Feel free to write to your representatives about that money.
Here's an example of this "security". Kiddie Village (the space for families with infants, small children and pregnant women) was fired upon with rubber bullets at the 2008 Gathering by Federal Officers, nearly resulting in a riot. At no point were officers threatened or assaulted, Family who were there were careful to inform officers they were in Kid Village, while keeping their hands raised and visible and showing no signs of threat. Officers where repeatedly asked to not use weapons in this area, especially rubber bullets as they may not often be lethal to an adult but CAN kill a two year old or cause a miscarriage to a pregnant mother. They fired randomly, spraying the area, while adults used there bodies to shield small children. It was Rainbow Family Shanti Sena that had to prevent a riot, and keep a mob from attacking them in return. They created a violent, terrifying situation in the most protected space at the Gathering, and then had to be protected and evacuated by Family to prevent things from getting worse. Their reason? They believed that ONE man who was there MIGHT have a warrant for cannabis use in another state, and if I remember correctly he did. Is that really a reason to attack a peaceful Camp full of children? No, that's insanity. That's the same as going into a daycare and firing because one parent present had some dope.
No not mania, LOL. I don't have to work a 40 hour week because I don't need or use any money. I do work, though, just not at the same place every day for the same people for the same amount of time to get some paper. Instead, I work to serve and care for other human beings. Sometimes that means giving up sleep or food or whatever for a bit. Which is all good, just leaves me a little foggy at the end.
Nobody

Lexington, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

Judged:

FGM,,,,,,How do you not need or use any money? I wanna do that. They always charge me at the grocery store, gas station and rent. And, if you don't make any money, then how can you pay any tax that goes towards paying for the security? Just sayin".........

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

64 Users are viewing the Elizabethton Forum right now

Search the Elizabethton Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 12 min TN Voter 141,537
Matt Furches? 20 min maybe 11
Tweetsie Trail Crossing signs 28 min Really 12
Ole Gord gains votes for Sheriff Chris Mathis 1 hr speak my mind 44
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr WTF 8,979
Anybody know how much Lunceford's monthly taxpa... 2 hr what 32
Question for John Paul and Johnny 2 hr undecided voters 1
This was just posted by Lunceford 3 hr Slander 69
School board member speaks out with intellegenc... 3 hr Recall Election 7
Quotes from the mighty Sheriff Mathes himself. 20 hr cant hide 24
•••
•••
•••