Slone's Variety/ Thrift Store

Posted in the Eleanor Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Disappointed shopper

Mount Nebo, WV

#1 Nov 9, 2011
Used to love to go here to look for bargains. It has certainly changed in the past several months. Don't know if somebody new took it over, but the prices they put on used stuff there is outrageous!!!
junk

Saint Albans, WV

#2 Nov 9, 2011
prices too high for a bunch o junk
Sunshine

Danville, WV

#3 Nov 15, 2011
I agree! Used to be no matter what you were looking for..........you could find it at a decent price. Then one owner left and the other one took complete control.
As time has gone on the prices have become laughable and the selection is lousy. It's suppose to be a Thrift Store not a high class boutique.
I have seen lots of things I could walk right over to Family Dollar and buy new for a dollar or two more. I used to stop in often now I don't bother.
blah

Morgantown, WV

#4 Nov 15, 2011
i agree they are very high on stuff
no way

Orlando, FL

#5 Nov 20, 2011
They used to buy things at new Hope's thrift shop then resell in there at higher prices. Go to Paws n Shop and get things way cheap and help animals at the same time!
mary

Mount Nebo, WV

#6 Nov 20, 2011
They also scope out yard sales for good deals and mark it way up in their store. A lot of my mother in laws stuff ended up there after the town wide yard sale. She sold it dirt cheap just to get rid of it and it was awful to see how they marked it up. Where is Paws and Shop located or New Hope thrift shop?
Sorry

United States

#7 Jan 12, 2012
Didn't see this! 2906 Putnam Ave in Hurricane. It's one and the same and located beside Henson Senior Center across the tracks from main street. Open Thursdays and Saturdays 9-5
winfield4eva

Martinsville, VA

#8 Jan 14, 2012
Sorry wrote:
Didn't see this! 2906 Putnam Ave in Hurricane. It's one and the same and located beside Henson Senior Center across the tracks from main street. Open Thursdays and Saturdays 9-5
love slones
fyi

Comfort, WV

#9 Jan 15, 2012
Way over priced!!!!!!!
whatif

United States

#10 Jan 15, 2012
fyi wrote:
Way over priced!!!!!!!
Then don't shop there simple
hehe

Comfort, WV

#11 Jan 15, 2012
The older woman's voice scares me.
love better deals

Poca, WV

#12 Jan 16, 2012
I love that store, i buy stuff in there all the time and the prices are Great!! you go ahead and buy stuff at regular price, I simply can't afford to. So maybe if you all can afford to not shop at thrift stores then go to the over priced malls. also I have gone to pawn and shop and IT STINKS!!! if you want your stuff smelling like animals and cat piss you go right ahead and shop shop shop..I love to go to slone's they have everything and anything, its clean and good prices and everyone is entilted to their own opinion....
think about it

Charleston, WV

#13 Jan 16, 2012
Think about this: you've got a nice clean place to buy used items at a LOWER Price than retail stores. These people at Slones have rent, utilities, employees, insurance, etc to pay from their sales, and whatever is left over to pay themselves. They are not Goodwill or the Paws Shop. Goodwill & Paws shop gets their items for free/donated. Slones have to go out & buy their items to sell. They keep the store & their items clean. Some of their items are purchased new at wholesale stores & then they sell them cheaper than other retailers do. I will shop there any day before going to a retail store! And I agree with the person before--stating stuff smells like animals and cat piss at the paws shop..it does!! You rude idiots just dont think!! This is a business... you go out to flea markets.. and they do the same things...buy cheap items & raise the prices to make money.. that's business... You think Walmart dont make a killing off every item they sell? They buy it for pennies on the dollar and then charge us an arm and a leg..then they tell us we got a deal... Wake up, smell the coffee... if you dont want to help the small businesses and save some $, then go else where and leave all of Slones deals for me!! Look around, so many of these types of stores have closed...but yet Slones is still here.. Because other people too, know they can come here and get a deal!!
granny

Charleston, WV

#14 Jan 16, 2012
Sunshine wrote:
I agree! Used to be no matter what you were looking for..........you could find it at a decent price. Then one owner left and the other one took complete control.
As time has gone on the prices have become laughable and the selection is lousy. It's suppose to be a Thrift Store not a high class boutique.
I have seen lots of things I could walk right over to Family Dollar and buy new for a dollar or two more. I used to stop in often now I don't bother.
So, you like shopping at a dirty junk shop? I think they are a nice place. If you want Family Dollar crap, walk over there and buy it. I like those girls... they are nice and I think they are doing a great job making their store enjoyable to shop at. I've been shopping at Slones for years and will continue to do so. They dont need people like you.
Hey

Charleston, WV

#15 Jan 16, 2012
You guys be ignorant all you want to. I know one of the outlets in Sissonville they get their stuff from. I'll but it cheaper over there, thanks.
love better deals

Poca, WV

#16 Jan 17, 2012
Hey wrote:
You guys be ignorant all you want to. I know one of the outlets in Sissonville they get their stuff from. I'll but it cheaper over there, thanks.
Dear Hey, I think you have no idea what your talking about... Have a Great day!!
Hey

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#17 Jan 17, 2012
love better deals wrote:
<quoted text> Dear Hey, I think you have no idea what your talking about... Have a Great day!!
I've seen the tags, from a Kohl's and Sears liquidation. Sloan's surely doesn't put them on there. I'm sure you're probably the owner, upset people have figured it out. I don't care, am happy for someone to be a success, but I'm a much savvier shopper than that. See ya!
love better deals

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Jan 17, 2012
Hey wrote:
<quoted text>
I've seen the tags, from a Kohl's and Sears liquidation. Sloan's surely doesn't put them on there. I'm sure you're probably the owner, upset people have figured it out. I don't care, am happy for someone to be a success, but I'm a much savvier shopper than that. See ya!
Nope, I'm not the owner... just one of their customers... have been for years. Dont know what you mean by figured it out? I like slones... you have your opinion and I have mine.. I'll keep going back! You all people talk about them finding deals or cheap stuff and then putting a higher price on it... thats what everyone does..so I dont get your problem about it. Goodwill gets their stuff for free and then they put a higher price on it. Is that wrong too? How do you think they make money and pay their bills? They have to buy low and sell higher to stay in business and pay their people to work, bills, and everything else. I think you all are just jealous because they are getting the good stuff before you do.
harrycarry

Brooklyn, NY

#19 Jan 17, 2012
mary wrote:
They also scope out yard sales for good deals and mark it way up in their store. A lot of my mother in laws stuff ended up there after the town wide yard sale. She sold it dirt cheap just to get rid of it and it was awful to see how they marked it up. Where is Paws and Shop located or New Hope thrift shop?
just wondering what pissed you off? Your aunt sold it to them dirt cheap..how is that slones fault.. thats what she wanted to do so she could get rid off it. Are you made because you or your aunt didnt make more money? If your aunt is happy with the amount she got and glad she got rid of it and if the slones people are happy with what they paid for it, then what does it matter to you? They have to make money to stay in business. And the paws shop marks their items up too--cause they dont pay a dime for any of their items, they are all donated. So, they get all their stuff for free and make even more of a profit than slones do, cause slones has to pay for their items. So, whats the difference?
Anonymous

Martinsville, VA

#20 Feb 17, 2012
I love the place and the people, and I'm glad to see a small business can still make in w.v.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Eleanor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ashley Means (Jul '13) 7 min Yikes 4
emily chapman 2 hr blahblahblah 19
looking for old farm tools 3 hr countrygirl 1
Who is he 4 hr bobo 3
New GW BB Coach Sat WVU1467 1
Winfield Hardware Oct 17 hum 2
Lowes or Home Depot Oct 17 Lou 1
Eleanor Dating
Find my Match

Eleanor Jobs

Eleanor People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Eleanor News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Eleanor

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]