Torrance firefighters to get 10.5% salary, benefits increase

Full story: Daily Breeze 96
Torrance firefighters have received a new three-year contract that gives them a 10.5 percent increase in salaries and benefits over the next three years. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
gary vanderburg

United States

#1 Apr 9, 2009
they deserve it. be safe all.
Torrancejim

Pleasanton, CA

#2 Apr 9, 2009
Torrance city council again acting as Santa Claus. I wonder if the firefighters are related to the pirates off Africa. Apparently no fight was given by the city council. I imagine there are a lot of unemployed people who would accept a negative raise.
Hey Clueless

Glendale, CA

#3 Apr 9, 2009
Torrancejim wrote:
Torrance city council again acting as Santa Claus. I wonder if the firefighters are related to the pirates off Africa. Apparently no fight was given by the city council. I imagine there are a lot of unemployed people who would accept a negative raise.
First, NO, I'm not a fireman. But why the whining? Maybe you should have made better career choices and not have so much to complain about. Good for TFD to get such a raise, they deserve it for risking their lives. Thank you for your service and don't pause over posters like this guy....he obviously couldn't pass the physical.
You Can Call Me Al

United States

#4 Apr 9, 2009
A Santa Claus council? Firefighting pirates?

Come on ... an average salary increase of 3.5% per year over the next three years isn't exactly extravagant.

The fact that there are a significant number of people currently unemployed isn't justification to deny those who are employed a small raise. They probably need it to support the unemployed family member living with them.

Take aim at the CEO's who are making 150 to 200 times what their average corporate employee is making.

Or the appointed "Commission" members at all levels of government that are raking in $100 to $150K a year for meeting a few times a year.

Or, if your really out for the firefighters, take a look at their pension packages. Sweet!

“cracker-barrel philosopher”

Since: Jan 08

Wilmington/Carson/San Pedro

#5 Apr 10, 2009
The article lumps salary and benefits together. What is the economic impact of the benefits? What increase in benefits if they are separated out from salaries?
just a californian

Hacienda Heights, CA

#6 Apr 10, 2009
yeah, they get a raise while compamies have to lay off employees just to survive. one thing i will say about the TFD, they do have the cleanest trucks of any city.

Vallejo!
BIG MONEY

Glendale, CA

#7 Apr 10, 2009
$$$$$$$$$$

I would like to see that Torrance FD as well as other FD's go to a normal work schedule. Maybe do three shifts a day, all 8 hours in length and have them work that. I dont see the need for guys to be working 24 or 48 hours a time, its bad for us the public to have them working that amount of time without much sleep, also we are paying them a lot of money to sleep and sit around and watch tv.

Lets give them the raise, however require a change of work schedules.
You Can Call Me Al

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Apr 10, 2009
slug wrote:
What is the economic impact of the benefits? What increase in benefits if they are separated out from salaries?
The total of combined salary and benefit increases average 3.5% per year. Does the split between the two really matter at that level?

Ask the City Council and Manager if you're really interested ... not this uninformed forum.
Average Jane

Canyon Country, CA

#9 Apr 10, 2009
Torrancejim wrote:
You're an idiot. These firefighters wouldn't think twice about saving your sorry, ungrateful a$$. Just shut your mouth and let them enjoy their well-deserved raises.
city employee

Hilo, HI

#10 Apr 11, 2009
Hey Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
First, NO, I'm not a fireman. But why the whining? Maybe you should have made better career choices and not have so much to complain about. Good for TFD to get such a raise, they deserve it for risking their lives. Thank you for your service and don't pause over posters like this guy....he obviously couldn't pass the physical.
I don't know about piracy but the complaint for a number of us employed at city hall is that we are being told that there is nothing for the rest of us - again. Fire and Police never have to go thru this!
Mathew

San Pedro, CA

#11 Apr 11, 2009
I can certainly understand police getting raises...but firefighters?? Ha! Getting paid to sleep, sit in Barker loungers, eat gourment meals...over 90% of their calls are medical in nature (OK...give the paramedics raises). Give me a break. They have the easiest job in government, yet complain the most!
Average Jane

Canyon Country, CA

#12 Apr 11, 2009
Mathew wrote:
I can certainly understand police getting raises...but firefighters?? Ha! Getting paid to sleep, sit in Barker loungers, eat gourment meals...over 90% of their calls are medical in nature (OK...give the paramedics raises). Give me a break. They have the easiest job in government, yet complain the most!
They don't sit around, you lazy mental midget. And who are you going to call something catches on fire? What an idiot you are. I spit on you.
Dodgerdog

Phoenix, AZ

#13 Apr 11, 2009
Barker lounges? Did Bob bring them from The Price is Right? I believe they are called "barcalounges".
Residing in Torrance

San Marcos, CA

#14 Apr 11, 2009
What's sad, is that they probably still could not afford to buy a median priced home in Torrance which is now around $600k. But the bright side: at least they'll be able to keep up with rent increases.
Bark Bark

Los Angeles, CA

#15 Apr 11, 2009
I just can't stand those "barker" lounges - too noisy and I can't hear espn!
Seriously - the fire and police both scored on their contracts in this economy. I wonder how many regular city workers are going to lose their jobs to pay for these raises? Is the city going to cut more parks workers and construction workers? are they going to cut hours at the library so my kid can't get books? They have to find money to pay from these raises somewhere and it seems like everytime police and fire get these pay raises the rest of the city gets service cuts. If they need to cut, they should start at the top and mid management levels so services won't have to be cut.
Daniel

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Apr 11, 2009
You just got to love the same arguments used to support these raises. "They are putting their lives on the line." Great, that is the job they chose. "Look at what CEOs are making." I guess the CEO chose a better profession and maybe bring mure value to the table. "They can't even afford to buy a home here." How do you know that?

The point I am trying to make is that Firefighters are not in short supply. Try getting a job with any fire department. There are many more applicants then there are positions. And the reason for that is they are overpaid. And now that Torrance has decided to increase their Firefighter's salaries, you can bet all the other departments in the South Bay will clamor for increases. And in a depressed economy! Gotta love it.

Finally, why do you need a ladder truck to respond to a medical emergency. Can't the EMTs respond alone? Seems like a waste of resources to me.
One4Justice

Palos Verdes Peninsula, CA

#17 Apr 11, 2009
Those of you who are complaining about a 3.5% raise a year obviously are ignorant of what other industries give as yearly raises and those folks don't risk their lives for anyone. Do your research before you go slamming the TFD or TPD for getting this increase per year, this is not a big raise each year by any means. It's all who you work for and it's your choice in life to figure that out.
Blame_the_Counci l

Los Angeles, CA

#18 Apr 11, 2009
ANY raise is too big when there's no money to cover it.

The City is projecting big shortfalls during the 3-year contract term. The Council members KNEW the City won't have the money, but they VOTED FOR the raises to Fire and Police anyway.

Welcome to Vallejo.
Cops-FFs-Welfare Queens

Beaumont, CA

#19 Apr 11, 2009
gary vanderburg wrote:
they deserve it. be safe all.
yeah, we dont want any of those GED educated FF's trying to get by on only $200K per year, now do we.
Cops-FFs-Welfare Queens

Beaumont, CA

#20 Apr 11, 2009
Hey Clueless wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical GED educated FF response.

Funny thing is bank robbers say the exact same thing. They "earned" their rip offs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Segundo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 4 hr Me O My O 7,969
RB Man Arrested in Fake ID Scheme (Nov '11) 5 hr Manama 3
Man Shot In Carson Dies Of His Wounds 16 hr Morris the Cat 2
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Wed do it here 16,011
In the shade: Shade Redondo under construction ... Mon Wolfman 3
Minors ordering UBER rides Mon LADriver 1
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Sep 29 El SupremoS 201,038

Fire Warning for Los Angeles County was issued at October 02 at 9:09AM PDT

El Segundo News Video

El Segundo Dating
Find my Match

El Segundo Jobs

El Segundo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

El Segundo News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in El Segundo

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]