Sen. Jose Rodriguez lives in a bubble

Posted in the El Paso Forum

JWRussell

El Paso, TX

#1 Apr 12, 2012
AUSTIN, Texas (AP)- A Texas state senator took issue Thursday with characterizing the entire U.S.-Mexico border as a war zone, bristling at a top agricultural official's assertions that America's food supply could be threatened because farmers are being run off their land by drug smugglers.

State Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples presented a report to the Texas Senate Transportation and Homeland Security Committee detailing recent testimony from border landowners that farmers and ranchers in the area are often terrorized by drug and human smugglers who traverse their property.

He said that some Americans have even abandoned their farms and suggested that the trend could eventually affect the U.S. food supply.

The committee's chairman, Sen. Tommy Williams, a Republican from The Woodlands in suburban Houston, told of maintenance workers assigned to canals and other infrastructure projects on Texas soil who had been chased off jobs by drug gangs and gunfire.

Williams noted that Mexico is Texas' largest trading partner but said that things have gotten so violent on the border that trade there could be compromised.

"I think we invaded Mexico for a lot less than this back when Pancho Villa was down there," he said. "So it's something we need to talk to our friends in Mexico about."

But Staples' comments drew sharp objection from Jose Rodriguez, a Democrat from El Paso, which borders the violence-torn Mexican city of Juarez.

"None of us can deny that there are incidents occurring on our side of the border," he said, "it's just the broad brush that is used to declare that we are in a war zone."

Rodriguez said he walks the streets of El Paso and surrounding county and, "I don't feel like I'm in a war zone." But he also stressed that the whole U.S.-Mexico border is being unfairly characterized.

"What some of us are simply doing is raising the question, are we in a war zone?" he said. "Are we being assaulted, are we losing our American food supply? Those don't really capture the reality in our border regions."

Rodriguez said using what he called incendiary language, "creates this climate of fear."

Staples countered that those calling the U.S.-Mexico border a war zone are law enforcement officials and "people who are being fired upon."

Rodriguez also pressed the agricultural commissioner for hard data on the number of farmers who have stopped producing food because of threats from drug smugglers.
"If we are going to be making state policy on border security, we have to be doing it on the basis of facts," he said.

Staples said his information came from landowners' testimony that would hold up in any court of law, then went a step further: "We have more than testimony, we have pickups that are riddled with bullet holes."
"No one is making it up," Staples said, "we have documented, personal, firsthand testimony."

Sen. Florence Shapiro, a Plano Republican, defended Staples and his report, saying it "is a document, not data."
"I am not going to put my head in the sand and say 'things are very safe around here, things are looking good,'" she said of border violence. "There are many people who don't believe that and I don't believe that."]

This is our senator at work hiding his head in the sand in the east side desert so he cannot see what is actually going on. Election time this nut case needs to go. VOTE Rodriquez out of office and get some one who has the balls to say what is right.
Petro

United States

#2 Apr 12, 2012
JWRussell wrote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP)- A Texas state senator took issue Thursday with characterizing the entire U.S.-Mexico border as a war zone, bristling at a top agricultural official's assertions that America's food supply could be threatened because farmers are being run off their land by drug smugglers.
State Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples presented a report to the Texas Senate Transportation and Homeland Security Committee detailing recent testimony from border landowners that farmers and ranchers in the area are often terrorized by drug and human smugglers who traverse their property.
He said that some Americans have even abandoned their farms and suggested that the trend could eventually affect the U.S. food supply.
The committee's chairman, Sen. Tommy Williams, a Republican from The Woodlands in suburban Houston, told of maintenance workers assigned to canals and other infrastructure projects on Texas soil who had been chased off jobs by drug gangs and gunfire.
Williams noted that Mexico is Texas' largest trading partner but said that things have gotten so violent on the border that trade there could be compromised.
"I think we invaded Mexico for a lot less than this back when Pancho Villa was down there," he said. "So it's something we need to talk to our friends in Mexico about."
But Staples' comments drew sharp objection from Jose Rodriguez, a Democrat from El Paso, which borders the violence-torn Mexican city of Juarez.
"None of us can deny that there are incidents occurring on our side of the border," he said, "it's just the broad brush that is used to declare that we are in a war zone."
Rodriguez said he walks the streets of El Paso and surrounding county and, "I don't feel like I'm in a war zone." But he also stressed that the whole U.S.-Mexico border is being unfairly characterized.
"What some of us are simply doing is raising the question, are we in a war zone?" he said. "Are we being assaulted, are we losing our American food supply? Those don't really capture the reality in our border regions."
Rodriguez said using what he called incendiary language, "creates this climate of fear."
Staples countered that those calling the U.S.-Mexico border a war zone are law enforcement officials and "people who are being fired upon."
Rodriguez also pressed the agricultural commissioner for hard data on the number of farmers who have stopped producing food because of threats from drug smugglers.
"If we are going to be making state policy on border security, we have to be doing it on the basis of facts," he said.
Staples said his information came from landowners' testimony that would hold up in any court of law, then went a step further: "We have more than testimony, we have pickups that are riddled with bullet holes."
"No one is making it up," Staples said, "we have documented, personal, firsthand testimony."
Sen. Florence Shapiro, a Plano Republican, defended Staples and his report, saying it "is a document, not data."
"I am not going to put my head in the sand and say 'things are very safe around here, things are looking good,'" she said of border violence. "There are many people who don't believe that and I don't believe that."]
This is our senator at work hiding his head in the sand in the east side desert so he cannot see what is actually going on. Election time this nut case needs to go. VOTE Rodriquez out of office and get some one who has the balls to say what is right.
I don't care what this Jew Republican says - this man is not bad at all and he isn't afraid to fight for his people. I've seen him in some scraps that would make you wet your pants, so get off his back.
Armando Alvarez

El Paso, TX

#3 Apr 12, 2012
JWRussell wrote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP)- A Texas state senator took issue Thursday with characterizing the entire U.S.-Mexico border as a war zone, bristling at a top agricultural official's assertions that America's food supply could be threatened because farmers are being run off their land by drug smugglers.
State Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples presented a report to the Texas Senate Transportation and Homeland Security Committee detailing recent testimony from border landowners that farmers and ranchers in the area are often terrorized by drug and human smugglers who traverse their property.
He said that some Americans have even abandoned their farms and suggested that the trend could eventually affect the U.S. food supply.
The committee's chairman, Sen. Tommy Williams, a Republican from The Woodlands in suburban Houston, told of maintenance workers assigned to canals and other infrastructure projects on Texas soil who had been chased off jobs by drug gangs and gunfire.
Williams noted that Mexico is Texas' largest trading partner but said that things have gotten so violent on the border that trade there could be compromised.
"I think we invaded Mexico for a lot less than this back when Pancho Villa was down there," he said. "So it's something we need to talk to our friends in Mexico about."
But Staples' comments drew sharp objection from Jose Rodriguez, a Democrat from El Paso, which borders the violence-torn Mexican city of Juarez.
"None of us can deny that there are incidents occurring on our side of the border," he said, "it's just the broad brush that is used to declare that we are in a war zone."
Rodriguez said he walks the streets of El Paso and surrounding county and, "I don't feel like I'm in a war zone." But he also stressed that the whole U.S.-Mexico border is being unfairly characterized.
"What some of us are simply doing is raising the question, are we in a war zone?" he said. "Are we being assaulted, are we losing our American food supply? Those don't really capture the reality in our border regions."
Rodriguez said using what he called incendiary language, "creates this climate of fear."
Staples countered that those calling the U.S.-Mexico border a war zone are law enforcement officials and "people who are being fired upon."
Rodriguez also pressed the agricultural commissioner for hard data on the number of farmers who have stopped producing food because of threats from drug smugglers.
"If we are going to be making state policy on border security, we have to be doing it on the basis of facts," he said.
Staples said his information came from landowners' testimony that would hold up in any court of law, then went a step further: "We have more than testimony, we have pickups that are riddled with bullet holes."
"No one is making it up," Staples said, "we have documented, personal, firsthand testimony."
Sen. Florence Shapiro, a Plano Republican, defended Staples and his report, saying it "is a document, not data."
"I am not going to put my head in the sand and say 'things are very safe around here, things are looking good,'" she said of border violence.
"There are many people who don't believe that
and I don't beli
This is our senator at work hiding his head in the
sand in the east side desert so he cannot see
what is actually going on. Election time this nut
case needs to go. VOTE Rodriquez out of office
and get some one who has the balls to say what
is right.
you need to get.informed before you misinform, the border areas are the safest in the country it might not be safe for Vendidos. Like you but everyone else is ok. If you can't back get the hell out of here......

Since: Mar 11

El Paso, TX

#4 Apr 12, 2012
JWRussell wrote:
AUSTIN, Texas (AP)- A Texas state senator took issue Thursday with characterizing the entire U.S.-Mexico border as a war zone, bristling at a top agricultural official's assertions that America's food supply could be threatened because farmers are being run off their land by drug smugglers.
State Agriculture Commissioner Todd Staples presented a report to the Texas Senate Transportation and Homeland Security Committee detailing recent testimony from border landowners that farmers and ranchers in the area are often terrorized by drug and human smugglers who traverse their property.
He said that some Americans have even abandoned their farms and suggested that the trend could eventually affect the U.S. food supply.
The committee's chairman, Sen. Tommy Williams, a Republican from The Woodlands in suburban Houston, told of maintenance workers assigned to canals and other infrastructure projects on Texas soil who had been chased off jobs by drug gangs and gunfire.
Williams noted that Mexico is Texas' largest trading partner but said that things have gotten so violent on the border that trade there could be compromised.
"I think we invaded Mexico for a lot less than this back when Pancho Villa was down there," he said. "So it's something we need to talk to our friends in Mexico about."
But Staples' comments drew sharp objection from Jose Rodriguez, a Democrat from El Paso, which borders the violence-torn Mexican city of Juarez.
"None of us can deny that there are incidents occurring on our side of the border," he said, "it's just the broad brush that is used to declare that we are in a war zone."
Rodriguez said he walks the streets of El Paso and surrounding county and, "I don't feel like I'm in a war zone." But he also stressed that the whole U.S.-Mexico border is being unfairly characterized.
"What some of us are simply doing is raising the question, are we in a war zone?" he said. "Are we being assaulted, are we losing our American food supply? Those don't really capture the reality in our border regions."
Rodriguez said using what he called incendiary language, "creates this climate of fear."
Staples countered that those calling the U.S.-Mexico border a war zone are law enforcement officials and "people who are being fired upon."
Rodriguez also pressed the agricultural commissioner for hard data on the number of farmers who have stopped producing food because of threats from drug smugglers.
"If we are going to be making state policy on border security, we have to be doing it on the basis of facts," he said.
Staples said his information came from landowners' testimony that would hold up in any court of law, then went a step further: "We have more than testimony, we have pickups that are riddled with bullet holes."
"No one is making it up," Staples said, "we have documented, personal, firsthand testimony."
Sen. Florence Shapiro, a Plano Republican, defended Staples and his report, saying it "is a document, not data."
"I am not going to put my head in the sand and say 'things are very safe around here, things are looking good,'" she said of border violence. "There are many people who don't believe that and I don't believe that."]
This is our senator at work hiding his head in the sand in the east side desert so he cannot see what is actually going on. Election time this nut case needs to go. VOTE Rodriquez out of office and get some one who has the balls to say what is right.
Bravo, These snake oil salesmen, Sen. Rodriguez and Cong. Reyes are only here to tow the line (Democrat or nothing) how can they state that life is good here on the border when they are so out of touch with the reality of life HERE. Occaisional visit's don't count.
Jose RodRiguez is BS

United States

#5 Apr 12, 2012
Armando Alvarez wrote:
<quoted text>
you need to get.informed before you misinform, the border areas are the safest in the country it might not be safe for Vendidos. Like you but everyone else is ok. If you can't back get the hell out of here......
The big mouth lawyer fought to interrupt the fence, yep, and his open gaps from Tornillo to Ft Hancock provide the locals plenty of action....

The drug thugs occupy the Mexican regions opposite these regions...

Wonder why??

The locals call the drug corridor the Rodriguez sanctuary.....

This moron is fighting for the thugs....
Remember Willie

United States

#6 Apr 12, 2012
therealgrtwyt wrote:
<quoted text>Bravo, These snake oil salesmen, Sen. Rodriguez and Cong. Reyes are only here to tow the line (Democrat or nothing) how can they state that life is good here on the border when they are so out of touch with the reality of life HERE. Occaisional visit's don't count.
Don't forget the compadre wild Willie Gandara, his photos hugging Hillary, slyvester, and other local are prominently hung on the walls of lawmen......
Protecting his turff

United States

#7 Apr 13, 2012
With Willie on the way to vacation,

Looks like other politicians are protecting their open border turf.....
pda1854

El Paso, TX

#8 Apr 13, 2012
Hell Jose I can also walk downtown in El Paso,but I wouldn't do that in Juarez and neither would you cause the both of us aren't that stupid.Truth be told you just want these people to think that your really doing something for them in reality you don't give a damn you like your big brother Reyes you just want that vote.What do you want to bet that when Clinton comes to ElPaso you and your brother will be there to shake hands and get your picture taken then the both of you will be on the next plane out.But because of you and others Mr Mayor and others like you have turned this city into a sanctuary city.
Just one little question

United States

#9 Apr 13, 2012
pda1854 wrote:
Hell Jose I can also walk downtown in El Paso,but I wouldn't do that in Juarez and neither would you cause the both of us aren't that stupid.Truth be told you just want these people to think that your really doing something for them in reality you don't give a damn you like your big brother Reyes you just want that vote.What do you want to bet that when Clinton comes to ElPaso you and your brother will be there to shake hands and get your picture taken then the both of you will be on the next plane out.But because of you and others Mr Mayor and others like you have turned this city into a sanctuary city.
Can anyone provide ENUFF evidence to convict jose Rodriguez of being an AMERICAN PATRIOT?

Thought so......

Since: Mar 11

El Paso, TX

#10 Apr 13, 2012
The Senator states "he walks the streets everyday". What a line of crap, he and his partner in lies and ignorance, the Congressman are playing blind to the fact, that you can't walk the levee's in the lower valley for fear of getting shot at or worse. These two Bozo's need to be voted out.
It is called a job

United States

#11 Apr 17, 2012
WORKING. Gets you, food, benefits, security in this country.

There is no room for freeloaders....

Rodríguez said Perry and others need to stop focusing solely on how to lower taxes for multimillion-dollar businesses and find ways to help average Texas families put food on their tables, pay for health insurance, and send their kids to college.

It's the industry that brings these things, not the illegals catered to in el paso!
Have some pride

United States

#13 Apr 17, 2012
Louis wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not one to take a handout but I don't mind a little assistance to help feed my family. Our benefits come in the form of a card with cash deposited on to it monthly by the state. I don't know what it's called but it lends a helping hand to make sure everyone in my house is well fed. I work my fingers to the bone but it's hard to feed so many mouths because they are hungry all the time. I'm all for industry too because now that the counterfeit merchandise has been seized from Fox Plaza, it's hard to find high quality items at a good price. And before everyone starts to pile on for whatever you disagree with about my post, keep in mind that I am a combat veteran from Grenada.
The state has no spare tits for your inability to keep it in your pants!

Why do you think you can claim the respect as a veteran and you have no respect for yourself?

Your lack of discipline in breeding speaks highly of you!

You are an embarrassment !
Advance team

United States

#15 Apr 17, 2012
Louis wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not one to take a handout but I don't mind a little assistance to help feed my family. Our benefits come in the form of a card with cash deposited on to it monthly by the state. I don't know what it's called but it lends a helping hand to make sure everyone in my house is well fed. I work my fingers to the bone but it's hard to feed so many mouths because they are hungry all the time. I'm all for industry too because now that the counterfeit merchandise has been seized from Fox Plaza, it's hard to find high quality items at a good price. And before everyone starts to pile on for whatever you disagree with about my post, keep in mind that I am a combat veteran from Grenada.
Folks were in Granada two weeks before you just to be sure you had a cakewalk.

While your arrival was likely on TELEVISION, some actually faced risk residing in the attic of the palace intercepting communications and rerouting Reinforcements...

And you want sympathy?

How about pity!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Longtime GOP Texas Gov. Perry wins another term (Nov '10) 21 min Truth 22,900
low life eastsiders bring the ebola 7 hr huey goins 8
Concert review: More dazzle, less razzle in TSO... (Dec '09) 12 hr mekomnit haalsitt 26
El Paso-area advocates want long-lasting immigr... 14 hr wild child 22
Best TV Anchor and Radio Personality - El Paso ... (Mar '08) 17 hr huey goins 100
When will Colleges take back Honorary Doctorate... 22 hr shore patrol 14
Disabled vet parking rules cause much confusion (Apr '08) 23 hr DV in Texas 206
El Paso Dating
Find my Match

El Paso People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

El Paso News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in El Paso

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 6:57 am PST

NBC Sports 6:57AM
Dez Bryant: We didn't work hard enough during 8-8 seasons
NFL 7:00 AM
Can DeMarco Murray survive 400 carries?
NBC Sports10:35 AM
Simplify the Game: Short week not doing Dallas favors
Bleacher Report 3:16 PM
5 New York Giants Players to Watch vs. the Dallas Cowboys
NBC Sports 4:21 PM
PFT previews SNF: Giants-Cowboys